• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah to replace John Stewart on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Lol @ this manufactured as fuck outrage. Also implying that Stewart was sooo funny. I have my own reservations for Noah and that's mainly just connecting with American audiences. He had a bit in his stand up where he said when Obama was running for president everyone is like "a mixed guy is running for president" then he won and it was suddenly "oh we have a black president".

Uhhh no, Trevor. It's the OTHER way around. Obama was black then the right tried to undermine his blackness when he won by saying he's half white, as if they were singing the same tune during the generals.

The dude is a smart guy, and so long as he has a decent political IQ I think he could make this work. And this is coming from someone believes Jon Stewart IS the Daily show.

Eh.

he's not wrong. I don't know how people on the internet do it. they're constantly outraged by every thing, yet I assume live some semblance of normal lives.

Let me help you. The internet is different people. Some things bother some people. Other things bother other people. On the internet, it's all the same!

And writing a tweet or two is very little of anyone's day.

That does explain things.

Hope the same doesn't happen to The Daily Show, as it does seem that it will still be The Daily Show.

Colbert's writers went with him, so Wilmore has an entirely new show in the timeslot. The Daily Show's writers will likely stay on with Noah, changing slightly to fit with his rhythm.

It has to suck for comedians today, getting notoriety now requires trying out lame and borderline offensive jokes on the internet which are published forever instead of just falling flat in some shitty club to be instantly forgotten.

It has to suck for comedians today, getting notoriety now requires trying out lame and borderline offensive jokes on the internet which are published forever instead of just falling flat in some shitty club to be instantly forgotten.

Which is largely the problem. They use to workshop this stuff in clubs and it'd be forgotten. Now it lives forever on the internet. You want to workshop? Find a small club with a no cellphone policy.

Still doesn't make them good jokes worth defending, which is why I disagree with Oswalt. They were stupid purile jokes and I'm 95% sure Noah will grow beyond them, but that doesn't change what they were.

Trevor Noah has never been what would be considered politically correct. He pokes fun at all races, something which being mixed race has allowed him to do more than most. He has made some wickedly funny observations about black people in South Africa, for example, which some people don't like.

He's going to have get with the program right quick and reign himself in if he's going to succeed in America, however. There are people out there eagerly waiting to get morally outraged, and an entire 'liberal' media machine that feeds off that outrage.

Some of the jokes are indeed lame, but hey they're four-year-old throwaway tweets. Not really representative of his stand-up, which is not based on one-liners.

I love his comedy, but I'm not sure belittling people's concern is helpful. I don't take issue with Noah's tweets, but I bristle pretty hard when people jump into this "You're not allowed to be upset" mindset.

That last one made me laugh though.

Patton is still pissed about people getting mad at him over his asian joke

http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=168

he's been on this "outrage bait" for months now, its really unfunny and gotten obessive

Valhelm

contribute something
Those jokes were made years ago though. They missed. He's moved on. Get the fuck over it.

No, they were mostly from 2014. I really doubt Trevor Noah is any kind of serious bigot, but he pretty clearly lacks the maturity, insight, and tact that a successful comedian needs to have.

He shouldn't be banned from the Daily Show. But this pretty clearly suggests that it's going to be a mess from now on.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Why are people going in on this guy's jokes as though the Daily Show team doesn't have an army of writers? Besides, the guy's stand up is pretty good.

Why are people going in on this guy's jokes as though the Daily Show team doesn't have an army of writers? Besides, the guy's stand up is pretty good.

Seriously...do people think Colbert and Stewart wrote all of their own material and did all of the research themselves for the show? They had a team of writers and researchers.

Valhelm

contribute something
No they weren't. Mostly from 2011 and 2012.

noah1f-3-web.jpg

Sorry but no.

Maturity is a comedy requirement? News to me.

It's not, but the Daily Show is the Daily Show. Personally, I don't think Noah is really the man for the job. Maybe he'll do it well, but his track record so far is pretty embarrassing.

Nairume

Banned
He shouldn't be banned from the Daily Show. But this pretty clearly suggests that it's going to be a mess from now on.
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the Daily Show has a team of writers that will be there to back him up and they'll be working together with him to script the show out ahead of time, just as they've been doing for Stewart over the past decade.

Noah may have some control over the kind of jokes, but I don't think the change in hosts is going to mean that it's going to suddenly become nothing but those selected tweets. As it stands, the work he's done on the show (as well as his standup) is clearly more cautious and calculated than the random things he throws off on twitter.

Patton is still pissed about people getting mad at him over his asian joke

http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=168

he's been on this "outrage bait" for months now, its really unfunny and gotten obessive

What's obsessive is the liberal/tumblr/etc attempt to attack comedy and put barriers up concerning what can and can't be joked about. If a joke is funny, it's funny. There should be little to no limits about what comedians can and can't say. So yes, outrage should be called out, lampooned, and ultimately disregarded.

My problem with Noah's tweet jokes is that they aren't funny. He's mainly funny when speaking about personal events or shit he knows about - like many comedians. Whereas these tweets seem like a guy just throwing mud at the wall hoping something sticks. As others have said here, they almost have a dive bar type allure - testing the waters on questionable jokes to see if they work. I'm sure someone at Buzzfeed is trying to find video of him making these jokes, and if they do it'll probably be at some small nondescript place.

Merc_

Yeah, the biggest problem with those jokes is that they aren't funny. Other then that, I'm beginning to understand why Chris Rock doesn't do his comedy at colleges anymore.

Kronotech

I think some of his stand-up bits are alright but the majority of it falls into the "America does this, other countries do this" or "black people do this in America. funny huh?"

I haven't seen him on TDS at all though and can't judge his political feelings but what I loved about Stewart is how passionate he comes across about what he's saying. True, most of that is going to be in delivery and the writing so hopefully he meshes well with the team at CC.

I'll give him a shot. Why not.

Ultima_5

people act like jon stewart was a riot before the daily show. you guys need to see his movie out put.

also his name has been spelled wrong in the title of the thread for days and no ones fixed it =/

To be honest, while I'll happily defend Noah from accusations of racism or anti-semitism, I'm hardly sold on his ability to do the Daily Show. That strikes me as a very specific skill, and I've yet to see him do anything that suggests he possesses that skill. Certainly the writers on the Daily Show won't let him down, but can he be effective in the delivery of their jokes in that setting?

I also wonder how it will play that it's a foreigner essentially taking shots at the American system. John Oliver gets away with it, but Noah is no John Oliver.

people act like jon stewart was a riot before the daily show. you guys need to see his movie out put.

also his name has been spelled wrong in the title of the thread for days and no ones fixed it =/

True. When he replaced Kilborn, I remember wondering what the guy who was so interested in everything "on weed!" in Half-Baked would be bringing to the table.

thespot84

noah1f-3-web.jpg

Sorry but no.

It's not, but the Daily Show is the Daily Show. Personally, I don't think Noah is really the man for the job. Maybe he'll do it well, but his track record so far is pretty embarrassing.

I viewed that as a setup for the 'real' joke: #beatsbydreidel. As far as puns go, it'd give it a 3/10. In total, it was unfunny, but there's nothing bigoted about it.

1. Bigotry is inherently offensive and has been expressed under the veil of humor countless times.

2. Jokes don't even need to express bigotry to be offensive. See: George Lopez.

Nothing is inherently offensive. Words are words; what makes them offensive is the mindset of the people hearing them. Calling something inherently offensive is just a way to shut down discussion--sometimes because there's nothing worth saying, but far from always.

"I'm offended" is a way to start discussions, "it's offensive" is a way to end them.

And this cuts both ways, both for and against bigots. See: Christian conservatives calling out depictions of gay people in fiction as "offensive."

EDIT: And George Lopez is offensively bad, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish :p

Zimbardo

everything i've seen of this guy leads me to believe he just isn't that great. very underwhelming replacement, imo.

Z_Y

While this is true, the main reason they didn't call it The Colbert Report is because it was called The Colbert Report. Aside from the panel thing (which I haven't liked in any episode I have sampled) it's still the same show. Larry Willmore just has a different sense of humor and it's not as appealing as Colbert.

I am beginning to wonder if you have even watched the show...or even the Colbert Report for that matter.

It is not the same show. How are they even similar other than sharing a time slot?

Mr.Swag

Banned
A comedian on a stage who is getting paid to tell jokes is gonna tell jokes.

If you are offended then you shouldn't have paid to get jokes told at you.

Is just jokes

Twitter itself is stupid, so idk.

Nothing is inherently offensive. Words are words; what makes them offensive is the mindset of the people hearing them. Calling something inherently offensive is just a way to shut down discussion--sometimes because there's nothing worth saying, but far from always.

"I'm offended" is a way to start discussions, "it's offensive" is a way to end them.

And this cuts both ways, both for and against bigots. See: Christian conservatives calling out depictions of gay people in fiction as "offensive."

EDIT: And George Lopez is offensively bad, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish :p

big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
"the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

I stand by my words. Bigotry itself is offensive.

big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
"the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

I stand by my words. Bigotry is offensive in any form.

Bigotry in any form offends you (and me, but that's beside the point). What you call offensive bigotry might not be recognized as such by others, which is where one would normally expect a discussion to emerge; but blanket terms like "offensive" have no room for dissent, not even the dissent of the uneducated. So you (general "you," not you in particular) take the "sit down and shut up" stance, which generally just results in the other party walking away, and nothing was done except producing a sense of self-superiority. Yay!

Again: "it's offensive" is anti-intellectual nonsense, "I'm offended" is not.

Sounds beautiful, alas, we don't live in that world and social context is real.

Valhelm

contribute something
An embarrassing track record? Are you talking in general or just on twitter?

His twitter is really juvenile and some texts are slightly offensive. His standup is really average.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the Daily Show has a team of writers that will be there to back him up and they'll be working together with him to script the show out ahead of time, just as they've been doing for Stewart over the past decade.

Noah may have some control over the kind of jokes, but I don't think the change in hosts is going to mean that it's going to suddenly become nothing but those selected tweets. As it stands, the work he's done on the show (as well as his standup) is clearly more cautious and calculated than the random things he throws off on twitter.

That's a really good point. Even Jon Stewart probably only wrote about half of his material.

#BeatsByDreidel made me laugh

The guy seems alright. There's a difference between being straight up funny and being a good host however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom