• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Info on Clinton

One theory I just saw going around is that Don Jr. had no idea what he was doing when revealing this, thinking that the only thing that could bust him was talking about sanctions, not information about Hillary. Sounds about right.

If you parse out the attempts to minimize blain in Jrs statement it sounds like the most cliche movie spy deal:

• gets told to meet lawyer close to Putin for dirt on Clinton.
• at meeting; said dirt was vague and no evidence shown.
• abruptly shifts topic to a topic Putin *really* cares about.
• JR. tells spy it has to wait until father is elected to do anything about that.

If that’s how you wrote the scene setting up the collusion it would be too on the nose. You can almost see Jr. winking.

One theory I just saw going around is that Don Jr. had no idea what he was doing when revealing this, thinking that the only thing that could bust him was talking about sanctions, not information about Hillary. Sounds about right.

We are dealing with dumb, dumb, dumb, DUMB people.

Never forget it.

Never view them as masterminds. They're hucksters for whom the stars aligned JUST right.

Zolo

Never forget it.

Never view them as masterminds. They're hucksters for whom the stars aligned JUST right.

Dumb people that are used to paying their way out of court. I mean....they usually at least have lawyers to think for them.

Believably stupid (I wouldn't put it past him to totally buy into the Fox talking point that there would be nothing wrong with asking Russia to release damaging info on Hillary), but where was his lawyer on this???

Edit: also I'm reposting this because it's too good to get buried on the bottom of a page:
DEVt1ZtW0AEgfqH

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So why is a Miss Universe judge inviting them to meet that person?

Also wasn't junior yesterday saying they found out the person who invited them was related to some anti-Trump oppo-research firm?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So why is a Miss Universe judge inviting them to meet that person?

Also wasn't junior yesterday saying they found out the person who invited them was related to some anti-Trump oppo-research firm?

Yes, that was the original attempt to get in front of this story.

Guys, the presidents entire fucking family is just as stupid as he is.

Socivol

Never forget it.

The more we see of this family the more it is clear they are only successful because they were born rich. These people have no common sense at all.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Some NYT comments sum up the Republican position on this. "What exactly did he do that is illegal? We should focus on the democrats links to blah blah blah".

Squire

Banned
So is this going to blow up like the comey firing or should I expect it being swept under the rug come Tuesday?

This is going to blow up like the Flynn firing since that's the story this most closely resembles. There's no position to fire Liitle Donny from, but you can bet the Feds will be on his ass like white on rice.

Some NYT comments sum up the Republican position on this. "What exactly did he do that is illegal? We should focus on the democrats links to blah blah blah".

Seems like that's the strategy for everything. There's no defending that Trump is a corrupt and immoral so they justify their support for him by saying that Clinton is an even bigger criminal so it's okay.

Socivol

Seems like that's the strategy for everything. There's no defending that Trump is a corrupt and immoral so they justify their support for him by saying that Clinton is an even bigger criminal so it's okay.

It's really odd you would think they would be able to see this is wrong AND advocate for something to be done about perceived wrongs on the other side but nope!

Aselith

What the hell? Is this some kind of palace coup? Why else would White House advisors reveal stuff like this?

People like Tillerson who is having his position coopted by Trumps son in law? People don't like nepotism and proper public servants don't like corruption.

If Mueller finishes his report and doesn't recommend any charges...that's the time to worry (although there's still the NY AG investigation)

Why would it be time to worry? Mueller gives his team's recommendation, other gov't officials will take over from there, and that's it. The NY AG has a hard enough time going after your typical elite white collar criminal/suspected felon. If you think they're going to succeed if Mueller doesn't give you the results you want, then just lol...

KingV

Why would it be time to worry? Mueller gives his team's recommendation, other gov't officials will take over from there, and that's it. The NY AG has a hard enough time going after your typical elite white collar criminal/suspected felon. If you think they're going to succeed if Mueller doesn't give you the results you want, then just lol...

It's likely that if Mueller team determines there was a state crime they will turn over the evidence to the NY AG. Hypothetically, they'd be handed the case on a silver platter.

It looks quite likely that they may be guilty of money laundering through NY based companies, and Mueller is smart enough to know that it will be harder to to protect his Trump or Trump Jr. from state charges.

Reading the revelations and Jr's statement on the first page just after Springsteen's "fake news" concern posts had me dying.

Was this originally two threads merged together? Was the title changed?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Reading the revelations and Jr's statement on the first page just after Springsteen's "fake news" concern posts had me dying.

Was this originally two threads merged together? Was the title changed?

Bruce Springsteen, like his namesake is always an earnest cheesy decade behind whatever point he's trying to make.

Only real Bruce Springsteen got rich doing it instead of simply agreeing with people everyone else ignored.

Actually no that's generous. He's just an inauthentic and ineffectual and weirdly inconsistent troll. I doubt he's earning lulz or rubles.

I mean of course the NJ rock legend probably

I really don't know what he & his ilk are purporting to expect out of newspaper reports since they're always decrying things as "allegations" but with no "evidence". Reporting can open the doors to investigators and raise public awareness, but legal "evidence" is going to come from subpoenas and grand juries and investigators.

What the heck is your standard for newsworthiness when an on-the-record statement from the president's son saying "Yeah I (and the campaign chairman and senior adviser) talked with this Russian lawyer because she said she'd give me bad info on Hillary" and "We talked about sanctions that really pissed off Putin" is somehow a nothingburger. JFC people.

Emarv

I expect this story to keep unraveling throughout the week. Hopefully we get more juicy details

My favorite part of news like this is it's like blood in the water for the NYT/WaPo competition. You already know all of the reporters working overtime and are hounding their WH sources.

I fully expect a Trump tweetstorm soon followed by a Haberman/Thrush piece on how Trump feels about his son being the news by like Wednesday at the latest.

Top Bottom