• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump agrees to 3-month debt limit increase

watershed

Banned
For all of the democratic party's flaws, I don't think the dem congressional leadership is stupid about how to operate politically from a minority position. This was a clear and surprising victory for democrats. Only fools and republicans are fretting.

The GOP have shown that they can basically pass nothing of their own with that majority, so it's either pass literally nothing this entire term and get voted the fuck out in 2018 or at least try to compromise with Dems and get something passed and hope they can keep their jobs.
Except in this case, there wasn't even a compromise. Instead of taking it back to the Republicans and then opening a dialogue, he just flat out accepted the Democrats' proposal.

Zhylaw

Neo Member
No Dem should be looking at Trump like that. Hell, no one in general, but that's asking too much because people are idiots. I don't care what they got in return. You nod your head and say "thank you Mr. President" and continue about your business, happy that you were able to get something across this diabolical pussy's infantile administration, and don't give him an inch of leverage personally. This is politics. Business. And what Trump is good at is making business personal.

You don't look at him like you want him to go to a baseball game with you and that you didn't call for his impeachment. That's just Trump working his little petty game, that works with little petty people.

I can already see it now. "Chuck Schumer, who nearly kissed me when I agreed to his debt ceiling proposal, now wants to oppose our tax reform bill. What crooks dems are. Slimy Schumer!"

I don't think its possible for me to disagree with you more. If chuck had to literally fellatio Trump and then Trump saved DACA or Obamacare I would call Schumer a hero.

Can someone quickly explain what this is about?

Why would Democrats want a 3 month extension, and why wouldn't Republicans want it?

Beartruck

Why would Democrats want a 3 month extension, and why wouldn't Republicans want it?
Republicans wanted to push it back until after midterms so they could coast through safely and then proceed with fuckery. Now they can't. 3 months from now is just far enough away that hurricane relief cant be tied to it, but a dem proposal (like reinstating daca) could.

Jeels

Why are we comfortable with democrats tying debt ceiling increases to things they want when we were against republicans doing this? The debt ceiling increases should be clean increases, like they always were...

faisal233

What exactly is the dem game plan to do a short term spending resolution??

Take care of pressing needs like Harvey funding. Once disaster season is over, they regain leverage with debt hike.

The GOP is in complete control of every branch of govt, but they don't have the votes pass a debt limit extension. So they need Democratic support, which isn't coming without concessions like legislating DACA.

JettDash

Republicans want to push the debt ceiling back until after the midterms. Democrats want to force Republicans to have vote in favor of it twice. And hopefully use it as leverage to pass things like DACA.

Durden77

It felt like it was directed at everyone who wasn't upset at Schumer. Which is why I was snarky. I apologize if I misread the statement.

That being said ... Schumer is the man. That pic is great. Like everyone in here is giving him props but you.

The deal that happened was great for dems obviously, and good on Schumer sure, but I honestly feel as though this was just what Trump wanted to do for Trump feelings at that time. I doubt this was some master negotiation. Trump wanted to make some sort of Trump statement and attempt to put people in his pocket (Schumer) and make others desperate to understand why they're not in that pocket (Ryan, McConnell) because that's all that concerns him is himself in that moment.

Yeah maybe I overreacted a little, and I'm not trying to downtrodden what has happened because it is very good news or hate on Schumer specifically, but I still hate that picture. It's just the Trump bullshit circle in picture form.

Yes but is it good governance for America.

You're missing the significance of this entirely.

There is no governance here. This is a mob boss punishing his perceived henchmen. Trump's entire worldview is filtered through mafia values.

In Trump's grotesque world, the federal government is just another stage to play out his mob boss power fantasy. This 'deal' is irrational and childish.

faisal233

Why are we comfortable with democrats tying debt ceiling increases to things they want when we were against republicans doing this? The debt ceiling increases should be clean increases, like they always were...

I'm not. The debt limit has always been like playing with fire. Unfortunately, with bat shit crazy policies coming out every day, this is the only play they have left.

Because Republicans don't have the the votes with Freedom caucus crazies against raise the debt limit. Defaulting is disastrous so this gives the Dems leverage now (Harvey funds) and again in 3 months to get something else (likely DACA).

mackaveli

The Democrats are just as likely to deliver the (incredibly vague) health care plan that he campaigned on, and they're happy to save his bacon from the DACA repeal backlash by making it law. And on health care, I think Trump's already hinted at working with them.

Of course, nothing will turn Trump's core base faster than working with the Dems, which will give the GOP room to impeach along with the Democrats, so it's a bit of a dangerous path he's treading.

But why would Democrats impeach Trump with Republicans if Trump is working with Democrats on bills etc.? Why would they willing install Pence as President and then have Republicans destroy everything if Trump isn't working with Repubs in your scenario?

What exactly is the dem game plan to do a short term spending resolution??
The freedom caucus and other ultra-far-right economic true believers think that government is fundamentally immoral and would rather tank the world economy than vote to approve government spending, so Paul Ryan can't pass the bare minimum spending bills to make the government function without dem votes. He wanted an 18 month one to hide the fact that his party contains a few dozen economic terrorists until after the midterms.

Every time these things need renegotiated is also a chance for more democratic involvement in bills guaranteed to pass, which would theoretically be rare under a functional unified republican govt.

Trump manufactured bad pr for his party during an election cycle and opportunities for the other party to get things they want out of thin air by caving instantly in a negotiation.

Jeels

But why would Democrats impeach Trump with Republicans if Trump is working with Democrats on bills etc.? Why would they willing install Pence as President and then have Republicans destroy everything if Trump isn't working with Repubs in your scenario?

Even if Trump starts working with the democrats I imagine a large part of the democratic base does not want Trump in office, everyone is walking on a tightrope here...

Democrats want it so they keep their leverage in three months. Demanding a clean DACA vote (probably what Pelosi and Schumer are angling for) right now with the hurricane relief funding on the line would look shitty, but that's still on the table. So is any potential Dem buy-in on tax reform or healthcare.

Had the GOP gotten a longer extension, that takes the issue off the table until after the elections and they can just focus on ruining the country. This way Democrats get to keep clogging up the schedule and maybe score some policy wins.

faisal233

Because Trump fucks everyone, everyone. You take any wins you can get and never consider him an ally. Fuck him the first chance you get is the winning play while stroking his ego to further your cause in the meantime.

Cerium

• Republicans don't want to have another debt limit fight anytime soon because it's extremely hard to get their own members to vote for these things. They would ideally like to have an extension that goes past the 2018 midterms so that it won't interfere with their campaigns. Right now it's easiest to get Republican votes because they can attach it to Harvey aid, meaning they don't need to rely as heavily on Democrats.
  • By extending the limit only 3 months, this ensures they'll be having a massive battle at the end of the year with no Hurricane relief to give Republicans cover. They will either have to risk the government defaulting (while they have control over both houses of Congress) or they will have to bend over and give Democrats major concessions for Democratic votes.
  • Democrats will be able to use this leverage to get stuff like DACA enshrined in law.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Trump in Art of the Deal: "My style of deal-making is simple and straightforward. I aim very high and keep pushing and pushing and pushing until I get what I want."

Trump in the Oval Office when presented with the first counter offer: "Deal!"

Haha! What a pushover. McConnell and Ryan getting hamstrung by this makes it even better.

Boke1879

The GOP's patience has to be running thin with Trump. Not saying they'll do anything, but stuff like this just pisses them off.

Trump in Art of the Deal: "My style of deal-making is simple and straightforward. I aim very high and keep pushing and pushing and pushing until I get what I want."

Trump in the Oval Office when presented with the first counter offer: "Deal!"

Haha! What a pushover. McConnell and Ryan getting hamstrung by this makes it even better.

Why keep going when someone is offering you whatever you want?

A chance to censure your bumbling underlings

Good. I hope Paul ryan cries into his pillow while his Rage against the machine mixtape plays at full blast.

he doesnt listen to them

KHarvey16

What did they tie it to?

Iolo

Coulter is pissed!

Ann Coulter, the conservative author of "In Trump We Trust," lambasted the president on Wednesday for his suggestion that he could revisit his decision on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

"Possible 2020 slogan: 'I broke my promises, betrayed my friends & used my office to help my family, but, hey -- at least I'm not Hillary!'" Coulter said.

Coulter also went on a tweet storm on Tuesday after Trump's DACA decision, suggesting the president was "betraying" voters and had weakened his hard-line stance on immigration issues from the 2016 campaign.

She does this from time to time. She'll be right back on the Trump train as soon as he does something racist, so within the next 5 or 10 minutes.

Kensation

Coulter is pissed!

Ann Coulter, the conservative author of "In Trump We Trust," lambasted the president on Wednesday for his suggestion that he could revisit his decision on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

"Possible 2020 slogan: 'I broke my promises, betrayed my friends & used my office to help my family, but, hey -- at least I'm not Hillary!'" Coulter said.

Coulter also went on a tweet storm on Tuesday after Trump's DACA decision, suggesting the president was "betraying" voters and had weakened his hard-line stance on immigration issues from the 2016 campaign.
tenor.gif

If the Dems get the Dream Act across the line in December, these two will be fucking heroes.

The game isn't over, and there is 3 months left to shit the bed.

Get it done Dems.

Get. it. done.

For all of the democratic party's flaws, I don't think the dem congressional leadership is stupid about how to operate politically from a minority position. This was a clear and surprising victory for democrats. Only fools and republicans are fretting.

Operating from the minority position is always easier

Damaniel

Banned
I'm not sure how this is a 'win' for Democrats - they still need Republican votes to pass it, and I think that a bunch of Republicans would rather shut the government down than let the Dems have even a little victory.

Cerium

I'm not sure how this is a 'win' for Democrats - they still need Republican votes to pass it, and I think that a bunch of Republicans would rather shut the government down than let the Dems have even a little victory.
Republicans are in the majority. If the government shuts down while they have all three branches they'll look ridiculous. The leadership will never allow it.

You're right that some Republicans will prefer a shutdown, but that's exactly why they'll need to lean heavily on Democratic votes.

What is the price for those Democratic votes? DACA, and maybe some other stuff too.

KHarvey16

So you think everyone is just not understanding what's happening? The republicans are furious for no reason and the democrats are happy for no reason?

JettDash

Turtle has already signalled that they will pass this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
more I think about it the more I start to understand this move. I think this plays well to Trump's base. think about it most of America already has an extremely unfavorable view of Congress that unfavorable is caused by the lack of work that gets done there. He spins this is forcing Congressional Republicans to get to work and it's a win for him with his base and perhaps a win for him if Congress starts drafting legislation that fulfills his campaign promises.

He's holding the GOP Congress at gunpoint with the threat to continue to work with Dems.

I guess? I'm probably giving him too much credit in the strategy department. It's more likely that Schumer played him like a fiddle by pretending to like him and bolster his ego.

Republicans want to push the debt ceiling back until after the midterms. Democrats want to force Republicans to have vote in favor of it twice. And hopefully use it as leverage to pass things like DACA.

So the Dems want to hold the world economy hostage to pass DACA? Cool. I can perceive no long term risk in institutionalizing a bi yearly game of chicken where the consequences for failure are the Second Great Depression.

Top Bottom