• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump agrees to 3-month debt limit increase

Beartruck

DJEVG02UEAA_XGl.jpg

I guess he wants Dems to give him his 'wins' now?
Pretty much. He doesn't care what succeeds or how, he just wants to be able to put his stamp on it.

tbm24

I don't think anyone I know understands what the debt ceiling is. I don't doubt that it's a bad mark on republicans to to agree to this, I do have to wonder how it's going to translate into emboldening primary challenges.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Seriously, he gave up nothing and got everything.

I would have even been okay with certain minor concessions, depending on what they were.

Dems are the minority party at the moment. Though, I can see how people might be confused, lol.

Cerium

Great Politico article on this that breaks down why Republicans are furious

Donald Trump, who casts himself as a master negotiator, took the first offer Democrats put on the table.

Republicans left the Oval Office Wednesday stunned. Trump had quickly sided with Democrats on a short-term debt ceiling increase, even overruling his own Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to concur with "Chuck and Nancy," as he later called them on Air Force One.

But Trump defied more than his top aides. He turned on Republican leaders in Congress when he caved to Democrats' demands to raise the debt limit and fund the government for three months, setting up a brutal year-end fiscal cliff. The move shocked everyone, as top White House officials and GOP leaders had been gearing up to raise the debt ceiling through the 2018 midterm election, looking to pass legislation as soon as Friday.
So after Democrats rejected GOP proposals to raise the debt ceiling for 18 months, and then six months — Trump endorsed Schumer's three-month pitch.

That means Congress will have to raise the debt ceiling, negotiate a massive trillion-dollar spending bill, and potentially hash out a deal on immigration all at once.

Democrats were gleeful.
One senior Republican aide spoke more bluntly on background: ”The president of the United States just handed a loaded gun to Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer."

The meeting came after congressional Democrats turned the screws on the president and GOP leaders, who need Democratic votes to raise the debt limit and avert a default.
The move by congressional Democrats was intended to preserve their leverage later this year on other issues, even though in the past, Democrats, including both Schumer and Pelosi, have said the debt ceiling should not be a topic of negotiation. But Democratic leaders were emboldened because Republicans needed significant Democratic support on the spending and debt legislation, which is expected to split congressional Republicans.
But Trump upended GOP leadership's plans during the White House meeting. Sources familiar with the discussions said Ryan and McConnell made it clear that they didn't agree with Schumer or Pelosi. When Democrats wouldn't agree, they pushed for a six-month debt ceiling increase instead of the full 18 months.

Trump appeared to tire of the back and forth when Democrats wouldn't cave to the six-month increase. He struck a deal — or at least, what he saw as one — cutting Mnuchin off mid-sentence as he argued against the merits of a short-term debt increase. The room went silent. Everyone was stunned.

Republicans returned to the Capitol disheartened. They thought they could call Democrats' bluff on the matter and were ready to exit the meeting as a standstill. One senior GOP aide said the whole experience was "mystifying."

”Maybe it's about the wall, I don't know," this person said. ”None of it makes any sense."

Unlike now, Republicans in December won't have a disaster relief bill to help win support for a debt ceiling increase — always a tough vote for Republicans — said another GOP source.
After the deal was struck, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) defended the president's actions: "I don't know that he sided with the Democrats. He made an agreement."

I don't think anyone I know understands what the debt ceiling is. I don't doubt that it's a bad mark on republicans to to agree to this, I do have to wonder how it's going to translate into emboldening primary challenges.
Debt ceiling is essentially the maximum amount of debt the nation is allowed to carry. Lowering this (by cutting spending) is a Republican core tenet.

Pushing back the negotiations means the GOP has no chance to do that right now, which will not sure well with its base.

Increasing the debt limit, then, is even worse for them.

Dr.Acula

Banned
GoP using pied piper tactics to boost beatable Pelosi & Schumer. Those that know strategy are in awe of Trump the master! /s

MIMIC

Banned
Wolf Blitzer just called Trump and Schumer "besties" xD

(he actually said "best friends", but close enough)

With Trump's scummy business mindset, couldn't this be like a "You guys aren't performing so I'll give these guys in your competing department a raise to spur you to do better."

Durden77

Seriously, he gave up nothing and got everything.

No Dem should be looking at Trump like that. Hell, no one in general, but that's asking too much because people are idiots. I don't care what they got in return. You nod your head and say "thank you Mr. President" and continue about your business, happy that you were able to get something across this diabolical pussy's infantile administration, and don't give him an inch of leverage personally. This is politics. Business. And what Trump is good at is making business personal.

You don't look at him like you want him to go to a baseball game with you and that you didn't call for his impeachment. That's just Trump working his little petty game, that works with little petty people.

I can already see it now. "Chuck Schumer, who nearly kissed me when I agreed to his debt ceiling proposal, now wants to oppose our tax reform bill. What crooks dems are. Slimy Schumer!"

Armaros

No Dem should be looking at Trump like that. I don't care what they got in return. You nod your head and say "thank you Mr. President" and continue about your business, happy that you were able to get something across this diabolical pussy's infantile administration, and don't give him an inch of leverage personally. This is politics. Business. And what Trump is good at is making business personal.

You don't look at him like you want him to go to a baseball game with you and that you didn't call for his impeachment. That's just Trump working his little petty game, that works with little petty people.

I can already see it now. "Chuck Schumer, who nearly kissed me when I agreed to his debt ceiling proposal, now wants to oppose our tax reform bill. What crooks dems are. Slimy Schumer!"

DC Politics is personal...

Its built on personal relationships between politicians and which ones you know and which ones you have influence over.

Trump's desperation for getting influence over NY politics combining Schumer's NY political influence is the perfect way to wins for Democrats...

You know what a politician is if they antagonize everyone at every turn?

Ted Cruz.

KHarvey16

No Dem should be looking at Trump like that. Hell, no one in general, but that's asking too much because people are idiots. I don't care what they got in return. You nod your head and say "thank you Mr. President" and continue about your business, happy that you were able to get something across this diabolical pussy's infantile administration, and don't give him an inch of leverage personally. This is politics. Business. And what Trump is good at is making business personal.

Who the fuck cares? Whatever they did worked. Keep doing it.

Steel

Banned
Keep in mind what Trump gets out of this. Not even pubs wanted to tie the debt limit to the wall with Harvey aid on the line. With this, Trump gets another opportunity to tie raising the debt ceiling to the wall in December.

Yea, Chuck should have been a jerk to Trump and ruined any chance of Democrats getting what they want!

Primary Chuck Schumer 2022, whose with me??

Optics over actually getting stuff dumb is the stupidest political nonsense ever. Stop it. Please. Just stop. Literally nobody but you cares that Chuck was in a somewhat flattering photo with Trump. NO ONE

Armaros

Oooh, that reads like straight up tactical torture for Republicans. The debt ceiling fight threatens to be fratricidal for the GOP, and now McConnell and Ryan have to watch it play out for months, not weeks. And Trump just took that deal and left them looking that foolish? Sheesh.

With Midterm elections looming, By the end of the year, when the deb ceiling crops up again, midterm campaigning will have started, and things get nasty.

I disagree. Clearly this is a President who gives you what you want if you're nice to him, as well as one who is extremely petty and will go out of his way to spite you if you're not. It's a smarter play to be nice to him, so you can get shit done.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Keep in mind what Trump gets out of this. Not even pubs wanted to tie the debt limit to the wall with Harvey aid on the line. With this, Trump gets another opportunity to tie raising the debt ceiling to the wall in December.

Let him tie it to the wall. The wall isn't even immigration policy, it's an infrastructure project. It's utterly pointless and a waste of energy. He's wasting political capital on it.

Both sides have made it perfectly clear they will not accept funding for the wall tied to a debt ceiling increase.

Trouble

Banned

That won't work, though. They need at least some Dems to vote for the debt ceiling. None will vote if wall funding is attached.

Durden77

Who the fuck cares? Whatever they did worked. Keep doing it.

So it's a resistance until someone flatters us? What a strong message the dems are pushing for us to keep beating. Resist resist, but suck his cock if it helps.

Yea, Chuck should have been a jerk to Trump and ruined any chance of Democrats getting what they want!

Primary Chuck Schumer 2022, whose with me??

Optics over actually getting stuff dumb is the stupidest political nonsense ever. Stop it. Please. Just stop. Literally nobody but you cares that Chuck was in a somewhat flattering photo with Trump. NO ONE

What I stated had nothing to do with being a jerk. You can get business done without being a jerk and still sticking to your morals.

Cerium

Let me try to explain this in practical terms. Schumer just secured the leverage he'll need to make sure that DACA is signed into actual law at the end of the year. That will change and possibly save the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. And in light of this you're choosing to be upset that he was photographed smiling at Trump? That's what's truly petty.

So it's a resistance until someone flatters us? What a strong message the dems are pushing for us to keep beating. Resist resist, but suck his cock if it helps.

What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously. Democrats were not the ones who got fucked today.

Let me try to explain this in practical terms. Schumer just secured the leverage he'll need to make sure that DACA is signed into actual law at the end of the year. That will change and possibly save the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. And in light of this you're choosing to be upset that he was photographed smiling at Trump? That's what's truly petty.

If you take into account people simply affected by being deported, it's in the millions. I don't give a FUCK how a photo looks, especially when the big orange idiot got played.

No surprise, this is exactly what happens in a mafia environment. One faction of henchmen have been failing the boss, so to humiliate them he shows more affection for the other.

Debt ceiling is essentially the maximum amount of debt the nation is allowed to carry. .

We go over that every year. Then we have to ask congress to raise the limit for the stuff we passed and did the previous year. Raising the debt ceiling is literally asking congress to pay bills that congress wracked up the year prior.

No Dem should be looking at Trump like that. Hell, no one in general, but that's asking too much because people are idiots. I don't care what they got in return.

Yeah ... we're the idiots. fucking lol. Go toss your protest vote out the window somewhere and leave the real convo to adults.

What I stated had nothing to do with being a jerk. You can get business done without being a jerk and still sticking to your morals.

Yes completely ignoring to POTUS even when you're the ones manipulating him at the cost of relief funds is fine, because your morals remain squeaky clean!

Durden77

Yeah ... we're the idiots. fucking lol. Go toss your protest vote out the window somewhere and leave the real convo to adults.

That wasn't directed at you. That was directed at people. People like Trump supporters and the GOP. I think one of our leaders doing it isn't a great look, but whatever.

And I voted for Hillary, but nice job adding to your real adult convo by throwing out baseless assumptions.

Top Bottom