• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump and Kim Arrive in Singapore

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Sorry but the title got it totally wrong. I'm still amazed some people are referring to Kim Jong-Un as "Un". His family name is Kim and "Un" is like his second first name.

Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed that after I submitted the thread.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Reading anti T. comments here, thinking how different reactions would have been, had this happened in Obama's times, @Phoenix RISING in particular.

Seriously, what ELSE was realistic to expect, that Kim Something Something comes with a button, that he presses on in front of everyone to explode all the nuclear (and ballistic missile) facilities in NK? That he would bring a step by step plan with tight deadlines on how he will demolish that, as a the first step, without even sanctions being lifted? Huh?

Left leaning European here.
It's to early to judge indeed.

Actual steps that were taken:
1) Agreement to denuclearize (this isn't a baby step at all)
2) US to stop joint "demo" drills (not even withdraw troops)

So, US got #1, NK got #2. Sanctions are not lifted yet.
NK might be willing to do it slowly and get financial aid in return (why, fucking not).

Honestly in the end I am more trusting of NK and the Pacific to get with the times and move forward and put the hostilities behind them, then I am with Mullahs having missles and bombs.

If Kim is serious about this, even if NK becomes more of a China than an SK I think it will turn out for the better.

Reality is this whole thing is a self fulfiling prophecy. NK wants nukes because they think the US will invade, but the only reason the US would invade is because NK has nukes. Its not the 1980's anymore, there isn't an East/West divide. NK needs to drop this fear that the US will invade and enslave it and join the modern world. Free its people and let them turn NK into an economic power like their southern brothers.

rokkerkory

If a picture said a thousand words...

35238009_10156408042888607_8452755097502351360_n.jpg

Airola

The general saluted Trump first so he saluted him back. That seems like the polite thing to do. Watch the video.

Seems to be another case of "look, Trump's such an idiot that he just throws the food to the fish like an imbecil" while on the video it is shown he did exactly the same thing as Abe before him.

not sure I like the idea of removing the US military from South Korea. Or not letting the press at the summit ( with the exception of Sean Hannity, I guessed)

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's official! Ambassador Rodman has officially arrived at his destination:

DfbKDx_W4AAzTWl.jpg:large

Amazing times we're living in! Who'd ever thunk Donald Trump and Dennis Rodman were about to save the world :LOL:

I think I'll just pull out this quote from 2013. I (sorta) believed in you, Dennis! XD

It would be one of history's greatest ironies if Dennis Rodman, of all people, ended up being a major agent in bringing about the dawn of a new era of worldwide peace.

These past several years have been chock full of irony. It's been quite a ride.

Also this:

Liberals Are Criticizing the Korea Summit From the Right. Here’s Why They Have it All Wrong.

Despite widespread concerns that U.S. President Donald Trump would torpedo an historic opportunity for peace—including through his repeated threats to annihilate the entire Korean Peninsula with nuclear weapons—this worst-case scenario has not yet come to pass. When North Korean leader Kim Jong-un met with Trump in Singapore on June 12 and etched out a four-point agreement, the reaction in South Korea was largely a sigh of relief. “Koreans see the Singapore summit not just as another sensational episode in the story of Donald Trump but as a step away from a sixty-eight-year-old unfinished war,” writes E. Tammy Kim for The New Yorker.

Yet, there is a yawning gap between the optimistic mood in South Korea and the response among liberal media circles in the United States, where many are reacting with a mix of sanctimony and scorn. On June 12, Kevin Drum published a piece in Mother Jones in which he accused Trump of “abandoning” South Korea and agreeing to a weak deal. Vox echoed this line with rebukes of a “shockingly weak” agreement that includes “huge concessions to Kim for little in return.” MSNBC’s Hallie Jackson accused Trump of complicity in the public relations makeover of a dictator. And popular host Rachel Maddow released an episode on June 12 arguing that Trump's pledge to halt war games in South Korea is a “giveaway to N. Korea” that “suits Putin's goals”—disregarding that robust social movements in South Korea have protested the U.S. military presence for decades.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Super Mario

Banned
Indeed. I've been noticing this a lot and it's pretty disheartening. Progressives should be in favor of detente and deescalation.

First it was, "Oh noes, Trump is a crazy war mongering idiot who's going to start nuclear war!". Now it's , "Oh noes, Trump is a crazy idiot who's going to deescalate a 70 year conflict!". smh.

He literally can not win. Apparently, it is best to leave the real problems alone to fix themselves so we can create some fake ones

He literally can not win. Apparently, it is best to leave the real problems alone to fix themselves so we can create some fake ones

Trump called a dictator of NK a good negotiator and a strong leader. Thank god there aren’t people starving there or anything.

Then he throws a temper tantrum at G7, wants Russia back in the negotiations, you know the country who shot down a commercial airplane and invaded parts of Ukraine.

And it’s always the same song to his allies. “Terrorism is ruining Europe.” The same terrorism that has caused less than 200 deaths in all of Europe per year. And I wonder why these people are migrating to Europe. Probably because one superpower attacked a country in the Middle East with fakes intel and kept bombing the area for a decade.

So tell me again about the real problems and what a great job Trump is doing.

Trump called a dictator of NK a good negotiator and a strong leader. Thank god there aren’t people starving there or anything.

Overthrowing dictators through hostility has worked so well in recent past, I couldn't imagine why we aren't doing it again. So many success stories. So many people saved. So much suffering averted. Oh wait...

If buttering up Kim gets North Korea to finally calm the fuck down, so be it. Calling Kim exactly what he is will just make him go back into whatever bunker he crawled out of.

Last edited:
Overthrowing dictators through hostility has worked so well in recent past, I couldn't imagine why we aren't doing it again. So many success stories. So many people saved. So much suffering averted. Oh wait...

If buttering up Kim gets North Korea to finally calm the fuck down, so be it. Calling Kim exactly what he is will just make him go back into whatever bunker he crawled out of.

The people screeching about human rights violations seem to want lip service from Pres. Trump to make them feel good. If he wags his finger at Kim and calls him out, then he'll stop violating human rights ASAP. Countless people will be saved who are being tortured, starved and mentally abused as we speak.

Or at least it won't give Kim "legitimacy"... as if the lack of that prevents him from trying to do what he wants in his country. American legitimacy isn't a prerequisite.

If this is the purity test world leaders have to pass before the POTUS can do business, then you wouldn't be talking to many people. And I doubt many would want to do a deal with the US by the same token. As Pres. Trump said a lot of people are doing bad things and what he left out is few are willing to put themselves at risk to stop them.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned

When Trump is hostile towards Kim = he is starting WW3. If he is diplomatic = supporting the violation of human rights. It's all a game for the media.

What did the previous administrations do to fix any of this? Hearing some of the words coming out of Kim's mouth was nothing short of jaw-dropping. I don't think anyone has suddenly fallen in love with NK, but optimism is in the air, more than ever.

I’m not exactly sure what you are referencing. Can you provide more details?
While he should have answered you by now, he means about the heated argument Trump had with Trudeau and the rest of the members of G7. Even going on twitter saying that Canada was responsible for the burning The White House during the War of 1812(It was the British that done that and Canada wasn't even around). While being "too friendly" with Kim Jong Un.

camelCase

Sorry but the title got it totally wrong. I'm still amazed some people are referring to Kim Jong-Un as "Un". His family name is Kim and "Un" is like his second first name.
Holy shit, that's news to me. I'm surprised to see the accepted spelling be the correct ordering of the Asian name.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Indeed. I've been noticing this a lot and it's pretty disheartening. Progressives should be in favor of detente and deescalation.

First it was, "Oh noes, Trump is a crazy war mongering idiot who's going to start nuclear war!". Now it's , "Oh noes, Trump is a crazy idiot who's going to deescalate a 70 year conflict!". smh.

Some of this resentment comes from the fact that the Right crushed Obama on many fronts like this vis-e-vie Iran and Cuba. Had the right had this same energy about the Iranian deal and the deal that was made with Cuba that ended a 50+ year confict, most of those same liberals would be speaking about this Trump and NK thing differently.

Seems like this was a whole lot of nothing. The Norks promised what they always promise but never do.

It's good Trump and Kim deescalated a situation they themselves escalated but it scarcely calls for high praise.

The people screeching about human rights violations seem to want lip service from Pres. Trump to make them feel good. If he wags his finger at Kim and calls him out, then he'll stop violating human rights ASAP. Countless people will be saved who are being tortured, starved and mentally abused as we speak.

Trump made a big show of caring about human rights in his SOTU. All that stuff with the Warmbier's and the guy with no legs. If he doesn't want people to point out that he doesn't appear to care about human rights perhaps he shouldn't have pretended otherwise.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
When Trump is hostile towards Kim = he is starting WW3. If he is diplomatic = supporting the violation of human rights. It's all a game for the media.

What did the previous administrations do to fix any of this? Hearing some of the words coming out of Kim's mouth was nothing short of jaw-dropping. I don't think anyone has suddenly fallen in love with NK, but optimism is in the air, more than ever.

What does the previous administration have to do with this, or even at that why is it solely that administrations responsibility to fix it versus lecturing all the preceding administrators prior which also didn't fix this?
The reality is we actually are in a fundamentally worse position in terms of national security if things continue at their current pace. The US cannot vacate East Asia and expect there will not be severe movements in power. It's the whole reason why we are even there in the first place.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Some of this resentment comes from the fact that the Right crushed Obama on many fronts like this vis-e-vie Iran and Cuba. Had the right had this same energy about the Iranian deal and the deal that was made with Cuba that ended a 50+ year confict, most of those same liberals would be speaking about this Trump and NK thing differently.
Yes, I definitely observe this too. The Iran stuff is pretty similar in nature to NK, and Trump just shits all over that. I remember back when Hannity and the others criticized President Obama over being open to "talking to dictators", and yet here they are now heaping praise on Trump over him basically "talking to dictators". While I'm not too surprised at how hacky they are in that sense, I'll take it. What really disappoints me, in a more fundamental sense, is how pundits like Maddow have jumped on the hack train, too. I don't think it's a good idea.
(It is for their ratings, though)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What does the previous administration have to do with this, or even at that why is it solely that administrations responsibility to fix it versus lecturing all the preceding administrators prior which also didn't fix this?
The reality is we actually are in a fundamentally worse position in terms of national security if things continue at their current pace. The US cannot vacate East Asia and expect there will not be severe movements in power. It's the whole reason why we are even there in the first place.
Our reasons for our military being almost anywhere else except in America are usually pretty shitty to begin with.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes, I definitely observe this too. The Iran stuff is pretty similar in nature to NK, and Trump just shits all over that. I remember back when Hannity and the others criticized President Obama over being open to "talking to dictators", and yet here they are now heaping praise on Trump over him basically "talking to dictators". While I'm not too surprised at how hacky they are in that sense, I'll take it. What really disappoints me, in a more fundamental sense, is how pundits like Maddow have jumped on the hack train, too. I don't think it's a good idea.

It's like sports. If my team does it it's good. If your team does it it's terrible.

TheMikado

Banned
Our reasons for our military being almost anywhere else except in America are usually pretty shitty to begin with.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but we can't suddenly pull out of areas we've stabilized for decades and not expect instability and have it come back to haunt us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

Operation Cyclone was the code name for the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) program to arm and finance the mujahideen, in Afghanistan from 1979 to 1989, prior to and during the military intervention by the USSR in support of its client, the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan. The program leaned heavily towards supporting militant Islamic groups that were favored by the regime of Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq in neighboring Pakistan, rather than other, less ideological Afghan resistance groups that had also been fighting the Marxist-oriented Democratic Republic of Afghanistan regime since before the Soviet intervention.[1] Operation Cyclone was one of the longest and most expensive covert CIA operations ever undertaken;[2] funding began with just over $500,000 in 1979, was increased dramatically to $20–$30 million per year in 1980 and rose to $630 million per year in 1987.[1][3][4][5] Funding continued after 1989 as the mujahideen battled the forces of Mohammad Najibullah's PDPA during the civil war in Afghanistan (1989–1992).[6]

Aftermath[edit]
The U.S. shifted its interest from Afghanistan after the withdrawal of Soviet troops. American funding of Hekmatyar and his Hezb-i-Islami party was cut off immediately.[53] The U.S. also reduced its assistance for Afghan refugees in Pakistan.

In October 1990, U.S. President George H. W. Bush refused to certify that Pakistan did not possess a nuclear explosive device, triggering the imposition of sanctions against Pakistan under the Pressler Amendment (1985) in the Foreign Assistance Act. This disrupted the second assistance package offered in 1987 and discontinued economic assistance and military sales to Pakistan with the exception of the economic assistance already on its way to Pakistan. Military sales and training programs were abandoned as well and some of the Pakistani military officers under training in the U.S. were asked to return home.[33]

As late as 1991 Charlie Wilson persuaded the House Intelligence Committee to give the Mujahideen $200 million for fiscal year 1992. With the matching funds from Saudi Arabia, this amounted to a contribution of $400 million for that year. Afghan tribes were also delivered weapons which the US captured from Iraq in the Gulf War.[54]

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not disagreeing with this, but we can't suddenly pull out of areas we've stabilized for decades and not expect instability and have it come back to haunt us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

Operation Cyclone was the code name for the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) program to arm and finance the mujahideen, in Afghanistan from 1979 to 1989, prior to and during the military intervention by the USSR in support of its client, the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan. The program leaned heavily towards supporting militant Islamic groups that were favored by the regime of Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq in neighboring Pakistan, rather than other, less ideological Afghan resistance groups that had also been fighting the Marxist-oriented Democratic Republic of Afghanistan regime since before the Soviet intervention.[1] Operation Cyclone was one of the longest and most expensive covert CIA operations ever undertaken;[2] funding began with just over $500,000 in 1979, was increased dramatically to $20–$30 million per year in 1980 and rose to $630 million per year in 1987.[1][3][4][5] Funding continued after 1989 as the mujahideen battled the forces of Mohammad Najibullah's PDPA during the civil war in Afghanistan (1989–1992).[6]

Aftermath[edit]
The U.S. shifted its interest from Afghanistan after the withdrawal of Soviet troops. American funding of Hekmatyar and his Hezb-i-Islami party was cut off immediately.[53] The U.S. also reduced its assistance for Afghan refugees in Pakistan.

In October 1990, U.S. President George H. W. Bush refused to certify that Pakistan did not possess a nuclear explosive device, triggering the imposition of sanctions against Pakistan under the Pressler Amendment (1985) in the Foreign Assistance Act. This disrupted the second assistance package offered in 1987 and discontinued economic assistance and military sales to Pakistan with the exception of the economic assistance already on its way to Pakistan. Military sales and training programs were abandoned as well and some of the Pakistani military officers under training in the U.S. were asked to return home.[33]

As late as 1991 Charlie Wilson persuaded the House Intelligence Committee to give the Mujahideen $200 million for fiscal year 1992. With the matching funds from Saudi Arabia, this amounted to a contribution of $400 million for that year. Afghan tribes were also delivered weapons which the US captured from Iraq in the Gulf War.[54]

I dunno if that's the best example. We shouldn't have been pulling that shit in the first place. Our meddling there resulted in The Taliban and Al-Qaeda.

Besides, modern day South Korea and Japan are a lot different. I'm confident they'll be fine.

Oh that's very simple. North Korea is actually a threat that can devastate right back. Iran can't. If Iran had nukes rest assured Trump would be meeting with their leader and praising his virtues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom