• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump, GOP senators introduce bill to slash legal immigration levels

RPGCrazied

This is DOA in Congress. I hope Trump realizes this. But I'm sure, just like the transgender military ban, he is doing this for his base because his approval rating is taking a dump.

Ponn

Banned
The general idea behind a successful, largely automated, society. A society that can survive the future worker displacement automation will cause.

And the ones proposing this bill of limiting immigration are...?

This is not at all the GOPs intention with this bill. Your whole argument is just trying to justify a xenophobic policy with a carrot that would sound good to a liberal but you know damn well is not in the realm of possibility for GOP government.

Or you did believe that was part of their plan for this bill and weren't being disingenuous in which case my first post stands.

1. It doesn't make sense economically
2. They're really just doing it to try to keep white people from being overtaken in numbers

1. It does make sense economically long term, even if mass immigration is better short term.

2. I doubt too many European people would want to move to the US- since they already live in better countries. The main beneficiaries will most likely be Asians. Indians and Chinese especially.

And the ones proposing this bill of limiting immigration are...?

This is not at all the GOPs intention with this bill. Your whole argument is just trying to justify a xenophobic policy with a carrot that would sound good to a liberal but you know damn well is not in the realm of possibility for GOP government.

Or you did believe that was part of their plan for this bill and weren't being disingenuous in which case my first post stands.

Or any American government. Its corrupt, war mongering and incompetent. The United States is not a country with a bright future. I like the debate, but Ill be the first to admit I'm thinking more in the abstract than in American realities.

sandy1297

Some news organization should go and find out whether Melania would have qualify under this new rule and make a big article on it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think if the us gets away with this, europe is going to start requiring visas for us citizens.

Potential cluster fuck for world travelers.

I am largely indifferent to the allowed rate of immigration, as I do not consider open borders to be a very important ethical issue in 2017, but given the core of the argument for restrictions is coming from white nationalists, not economists, this is very clearly wrong.

norm9

I am largely indifferent to the allowed rate of immigration, as I do not consider open borders to be a very important ethical issue in 2017, but given the core of the argument for restrictions is coming from white nationalists, not economists, this is very clearly wrong.

This is a good point. You do not want to share the same opinion of racists and white nationalists, on pretty much anything I'd reckon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You can get family to sponsor you, which this bill is trying to cut drastically.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp#who_can

Who you can sponsor
Depending on your circumstances, there are two options for who you can sponsor.

Option 1: orphaned close relatives

You can sponsor close relatives only if they meet all conditions. This means they must be:

orphaned
under 18
without a:
spouse
conjugal partner
common-law partner
related to you by blood or adoption, such as:
brothers or sisters
nephews or nieces
grandchildren

Option 2: other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the conditions, including:

you don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
spouse
common-law partner
conjugal partner
son or daughter
parent
grandparent
brother or sister
uncle or aunt
nephew or niece
you don't have any of the above-named relatives who is:
a Canadian citizen
a permanent resident
registered Indian under the Indian Act
If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

Other options: Express Entry

If your relative doesn't qualify for sponsorship they may still be able to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant through Express Entry. This program:

manages applications for certain economic immigration programs
selects applicants for their:
skills
experience
ability to contribute to Canada's economy
awards points to some candidates who have family living in Canada

Canada's system is much stricter.

If a country wants to continue to pay a person who immigrates away, that's up to them. Though it certainly sounds like a bad idea, and I can't imagine many countries would be interested in doing it.

IIRC that's how pensions work. Canada is more generous than European countries when it comes to working because with a job offer in any of the listed sectors you can get to stay forever.

Quixzlizx

We need a game show where the people who support shit like this have to gamble their citizenship against "low-quality" immigrants.

Linkura

We need a game show where the people who support shit like this have to gamble their citizenship against "low-quality" immigrants.

I have no idea why, but this reminds me of Wheel of Fish, so I'm posting a gif of it.

uxG7-H.gif

Honestly, while he's president he's unwittingly doing people a favor. When he's finally replaced by someone who's not insane hopefully this will be lifted which will in turn, coincide with the time when it'll actually be good to immigrate to the US again.

I wish. I remember coming to this country and going to high school with US born citizens who could not fucking read, my mind was blown.

Stop stealing their jobs with your fancy reading skills! 'Murica!

I always find it interesting when people use higher grocery bills to justify mass immigration. As if the fact that businesses exploit a massive slave labor class doesn't bother them at all.
if illegals get kicked out of the country then violent crime rates will rise in this country

facts is facts m8

Nipo

Having gone to through both the Canadians and American immigration processes I much like preferred the Canadian one. Hopefully Dems and Republicans can reach a compromise because our system definitely needs to change.

1. It does make sense economically long term, even if mass immigration is better short term.

2. I doubt too many European people would want to move to the US- since they already live in better countries. The main beneficiaries will most likely be Asians. Indians and Chinese especially.

Or any American government. Its corrupt, war mongering and incompetent. The United States is not a country with a bright future. I like the debate, but Ill be the first to admit I'm thinking more in the abstract than in American realities.

Indians and Chinese already make up one of the biggest population to migrant to the US.

Last reported was in 2012, but Asians outpaced Hispanics. About 430,000 Asians to 370,000 Hispanics. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/us/asians-surpass-hispanics-as-biggest-immigrant-wave.html

Many if not most of the immigrants are college educated as well.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...rrived-immigrants-are-the-best-educated-ever/

The bill will cut the number of immigrants by half from about a million. It'll likely cut in the number of Asians and high skilled workers actually since it is reducing the number of immigrants by half and limiting the number to 500,000. It is just an attempt to cut in the numbers of legal immigrants and their was an attempt to reform immigration without trying to cut it by half, but the House didn't vote for it in 2013.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/immigration-bill-summary-093557

I have tried to not get emotional since election and stay away from politics for my mental sanity since election but this shit makes my blood boil gaf.

I have two 60 year old parents that I have been trying to bring over since October but the processing time hit a fucking snag election. It recently picked up pace but with this, I am not even sure what the fuck is going to happen. It feels like he is literally out to get me.

But fuck this dude, one day he will be voted out/impeached/dead and I will be there laughing and taking a literal piss on his grave.

Mexico's President called to congratulate me on the border policy!

Mexico has rejected U.S. President Donald Trump’s claim that Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto complimented Trump’s border policies, stating Wednesday that the purported phone call in which Trump said he was praised never took place. 

Trump made the comments on Monday while speaking glowingly of the work that new White House Chief of Staff John Kelly had done in his former role as secretary of homeland security. 

“Even the president of Mexico called me. They said their southern border, very few people are coming because they know they’re not going to get through our border, which is the ultimate compliment,” Trump said Monday.

jWILL253

Banned
Im in favor for this.

Anything to increase the quality of migrants is a plus.

Point based on the criteria of education and skills.

Immigration should be based about you can provide immediately tot he country.

And i really dont like how many family immigration schemes that they are currently.

Couldnt care less about how bad your situation back home is

I resurrected this thread to tell you to eat a dick and fuck off.

America's finally getting rid of all the pretense. This country is irredeemable.

GodofWine

I can see the general "logic" behind what they were "thinking" when they came up with this...like, yea, it would be kinda nice to poach all the best off people from the globe and drop them in here...but its so hard to explain how you can do that, only that, and not come off as prejudiced against one or many peoples.

Many people, probably me included, would say "Yes we should accept these poor Syrian refugees and in my head I end it with - but I really would rather they not be settled in my housing development. But at the same point I know Im just a lucky SOB who happened to be born in America, and not in a war torn / drought stricken place.

Yes, we should be accepting of all people, but we need to do it in some planned and methodical manner. Public handouts are stressed, and bringing in 100'000s of people who will need assistance is not going to help...but we should help them..its very complicated.

The irony of Trump and his supporters caring about the education level of immigrants more than their own. If all these supposed unskilled/uneducated immigrants are stealing all your jobs than wtf are you doing wrong with you life?

mAcOdIn

Something I've wondered, for many the fear against immigration is based on animosity. And usually I find that people that petty also feel superior to the other party. It kinda goes hand in hand that if you think someone's a net drain on society and that you're subsidizing their existence somehow that you think you're better than them, right? So what happens when the net narrative around immigration morphs into something akin to "rich foreigners coming over here and employing Americans at low wages or taking good jobs?" I mean, how will people take it when the people we're letting in are essentially all better than them? What happens when normal poor Americans can't feel superior to immigrants?

Top Bottom