• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump, GOP senators introduce bill to slash legal immigration levels

Zoc

I'm not American, so don't jump on me too bad, but isn't more emphasis on a point system and less on family ties a similar approach as that used in Canada and Europe? Why is this automatically bad?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Love watching trump read out press release statements.

it's like me reading off power points in a presentation in school when I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about.

Love watching trump read out press release statements.

it's like me reading off power points in a presentation in school when I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about.

He does this bizarre thing where he'll place extreme emphasis on a seemingly random word, and follow it with an uncomfortably long pause. Every time I hear it, I fall into the trap of expecting something of note to follow. Then, I remember he's just an idiot.

Point based on the criteria of education and skills.

Immigration should be based about you can provide immediately tot he country.

And i really dont like how many family immigration schemes that they are currently.

Couldnt care less about how bad your situation back home is
That glass house looks really dangerous, dude. Be careful there.

“This is part of a broader strategy by this administration to rid the country of low-skilled immigrants they don't favor in favor of immigrants in their image.”

I'm not so sure about that :
A point system based on factors such as English ability, education levels and job skills would be created to rank applicants

wandering

Banned

And i really dont like how many family immigration schemes that they are currently.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I think something that is lost in the debate over immigration is the changing economy. Lots of people will speak about how their great grandparents came over without an education or English skills and became successful. The economy of 2017 cannot be compared to the economy of 1917. Blue collar jobs are, and have been, on a decline- which is only going to speed up. Factory jobs are all but gone, farming is increasingly automated; truck and taxi driving, maid work, fast food jobs all increasingly automated. There just isn't work for unskilled people.
Governments should be looking at ways to help people who will not be able to work, not bringing in more unskilled labor. I am 100 percent behind a merit based system. This is a great idea for the US, so it will never pass.

Isn't this how Canada does it?

They are very similar. Canada might even turn out to be stricter once more details come out.

Come to Canada.

We got legal immigration down to a science

I'm sure Trump will be happy with the ringing endorsement of the plan!

pigeon

Banned
I think something that is lost in the debate over immigration is the changing economy. Lots of people will speak about how their great grandparents came over without an education or English skills and became successful. The economy of 2017 cannot be compared to the economy of 1917. Blue collar jobs are, and have been, on a decline- which is only going to speed up. Factory jobs are all but gone, farming is increasingly automated; truck and taxi driving, maid work, fast food jobs all increasingly automated. There just isn't work for unskilled people.
Governments should be looking at ways to help people who will not be able to work, not bringing in more unskilled labor. I am 100 percent behind a merit based system. This is a great idea for the US, so it will never pass.

Meanwhile crops are literally rotting in the fields because farmers can't get enough farmhands to pick them, but yeah, the problem is that we don't have any work for unskilled labor.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/06/immigration-farm-workers-employment-trump/

Here's the thing about immigrants: they eat food and live in houses. Their presence creates more demand for goods, which itself leads to more demand for labor. The idea that we can "run out of jobs" is not at all sensible.

Meanwhile crops are literally rotting in the fields because farmers can't get enough farmhands to pick them, but yeah, the problem is that we don't have any work for unskilled labor.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/06/immigration-farm-workers-employment-trump/

I was literally just about to post this.

Does someone want to actually post research about how Americas legal immigration practices are currently hurting the economy? Because you can compare the situation to Canada all you want we are not the same economy

Can I laugh at the farmers that voted for trump that end up having nobody to help them?

Cause I am going to laugh at them.

It's amazing, seeing where I live swing wildly to Trump (in part because of xenophobic bullshit) while the young run away to different states, and the workforce gets older, unhealthier, and opioid addicted. There's always been quite a bit of turnover in farming industries and it's getting much worse.

Immigration is a plus in this country (always has been), not a negative, and anyone pushing for less of it are selling bullshit for no doubt shady purposes.

Here's the thing about immigrants: they eat food and live in houses. Their presence creates more demand for goods, which itself leads to more demand for labor. The idea that we can "run out of jobs" is not at all sensible.

It doesn't matter how much demand for labor there is when the labor is done by machines. There will be bumps, like the ones in your article, but the current economic system is going away. The need for people to do work decreases everyday.

Furthermore, many of these technologies require very little human labour. For example, Japanese company Spread has recently announced that robots will carry out all but one of the tasks required to grow tens of thousands of lettuces each day in its indoor automated farm.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...d-security-rural-jobs-unemployment-technology

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...nese-firm-to-open-worlds-first-robot-run-farm

pigeon

Banned
It doesn't matter how much demand for labor there is when the labor is done by machines. There will be bumps, like the ones in your article, but the current economic system is going away. The need for people to do work decreases everyday.

At the point at which work is so unnecessary that we don't need unskilled labor, what possible justification could there be for not letting immigrants into the country? They can't hurt the economy! We have no labor requirements! Either everything is free or everybody is starving to death while the 1% move to New Zealand. Either way, closing your borders makes no sense.

At the point at which work is so unnecessary that we don't need unskilled labor, what possible justification could there be for not letting immigrants into the country? They can't hurt the economy! We have no labor requirements! Either everything is free or everybody is starving to death while the 1% move to New Zealand. Either way, closing your borders makes no sense.

The general idea would be to have large taxes on increasingly automated businesses that would then pay for a basic income for citizens who cant get work. Very difficult for a system like that to be solvent if the amount of people that would need to be on it is very large.

pigeon

Banned
The general idea would be to have large taxes on increasingly automated businesses that would then pay for a basic income for citizens who cant get work. Very difficult for a system like that to be solvent if the amount of people that would need to be on it is very large.

Why would it be difficult for a system like that to be solvent? If labor is free, scaling up automated businesses to whatever level is necessary is also free.

If there's a problem with solvency, maybe the government should just own the automated businesses.

I'm not unfamiliar with the idea of the crisis of affluence. It just makes no sense as a justification for restricting immigration. If we have enough cheap stuff that people don't have to work, then people don't have to work. Scale shouldn't really matter when the price of labor is zero.

Im in favor for this.

Anything to increase the quality of migrants is a plus.

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? What exactly makes for a low-quality immigrant? You the type to believe that we're just opening the floodgates for rapists and murderers? Ugh.

low quality migrant

lowquality.jpg

I always find it interesting when people use higher grocery bills to justify mass immigration. As if the fact that businesses exploit a massive slave labor class doesn't bother them at all.

The point isn't to stymie any attempts at immigration reform. Corporations that abuse undocumented labor should absolutely face penalties and their workers be given something other than the endless hardship and physical breakdowns they find themelves in. But the topic here is legal, migrant labor, much of which is spent in agriculture, service and hospitality industries that would wither to nothing when plans such as these are put into effect.

The point is to remind folks of the benefits they reap from the status quo, which is that migrant labor takes up jobs that nobody wants to do and maintains a very high standard of living for every american without depressing total wages or sapping the workforce participation of the native population.

Benefits that are very frequently glossed over whenever xenophobic sentiment swells and bands together to keep out those dirty brown people who are trying to make a better life for themselves in a country founded on the idea that immigrants can come together and make the world better.

So essentially the rest of world will go through the same visa process as Africans.

Last I remember, adult children and distant relatives of US citizens and Perminant residents of African descent are usually kept in visa limbo for about 5-20 years.

Elderly parents are provided temp visa for caregiver purposes. Part of the visa process in Africa is checking how much money is in the applicant's bank account, their occupation, and English competency.

Why would it be difficult for a system like that to be solvent? If labor is free, scaling up automated businesses to whatever level is necessary is also free.

If there's a problem with solvency, maybe the government should just own the automated businesses.

I want to live in your world where demand follows production and not vice versa, and where the Earth has infinite resources to be harvested forever.

Ponn

Banned

Hahahahaha

Oh wait, you seriously think the GOP would consider that or is doing this with that in mind? Let me laugh harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The point isn't to stymie any attempts at immigration reform. Corporations that abuse undocumented labor should absolutely face penalties and their workers be given something other than the endless hardship and physical breakdowns they find themelves in. But the topic here is legal, migrant labor, much of which is spent in agriculture, service and hospitality industries that would wither to nothing when plans such as these are put into effect.

Automation has improved, and is improving rapidly. Right now cheap migrant labor is cost effective for them, but over time that will change. Technology will improve and become cheap enough that it will be more cost effective and businesses will switch over to that (you see it happening already) regardless of the level of unskilled immigration allowed.

Hahahahaha

Oh wait, you seriously think the GOP would consider that or is doing this with that in mind? Let me laugh harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No I don't. I never insinuated that I did. I'm honestly not sure where you got that. My only guess is that you don't like what I have to say about the subject and are just trying to swat my arguments away.

pigeon

Banned
I want to live in your world where demand follows production and not vice versa,

Necessarily, if labor is valueless, it is free to acquire. That's...how that works.

and where the Earth has infinite resources to be harvested forever.

Uh, I mean, if the finite resources of the Earth are an argument for restricting immigration, they're an equally good argument for literally murdering everybody else so that we can have all the resources.

I don't think this is a good argument! In a world with infinite labor we should probably work on sustainable resources.

Necessarily, if labor is valueless, it is free to acquire. That's...how that works.

Uh, I mean, if the finite resources of the Earth are an argument for restricting immigration, they're an equally good argument for literally murdering everybody else so that we can have all the resources.

I don't think this is a good argument! In a world with infinite labor we should probably work on sustainable resources.

Where are you getting the idea that labor would be free? Labor will be done by machines, but that will still have costs attached.

It would be good for the Earth if the human population declined to a level where resources could be better sustained. Most people would think that a managed decrease in birthrates would be best- you for some reason jumped to large scale murder.
You seem to be unable to think outside of extremes.

Ponn

Banned
No I don't. I never insinuated that I did. I'm honestly not sure where you got that. My only guess is that you don't like what I have to say about the subject and are just trying to swat my arguments away.

You said "the general idea is" in regards to limiting immigration. This bill is being put forth by the GOP and the Trump administration. Sooooo...who is it then? If you don't believe that then why bring it up as a counter argument and present it as "the general idea"?

Lowmelody

Sociopath. I wish we could trade you for any random prospective immigrant.

You said "the general idea is" in regards to limiting immigration. This bill is being put forth by the GOP and the Trump administration. Sooooo...who is it then? If you don't believe that then why bring it up as a counter argument and present it as "the general idea"?

The general idea behind a successful, largely automated, society. A society that can survive the future worker displacement automation will cause.

HardRojo

This will simply make those "Speak English! This is America!" situations even worse, as they'd have this shitty bill to back them up... As a foreigner who speaks English as a second language, fuck this bill!

The general idea behind a successful, largely automated, society. A society that can survive the future worker displacement automation will cause.

So in an automated society people will be confined to their place of birth? Even if those other countries have basic income? Doesn't sound particularly appetizing. Basic income should free citizens of countries with basic income from most immigration restrictions. Since their country of birth will be paying for them, after all.

So in an automated society people will be confined to their place of birth? Even if those other countries have basic income? Doesn't sound particularly appetizing. Basic income should free citizens of countries with basic income from most immigration restrictions. Since their country of birth will be paying for them, after all.

If a country wants to continue to pay a person who immigrates away, that's up to them. Though it certainly sounds like a bad idea, and I can't imagine many countries would be interested in doing it.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm not American, so don't jump on me too bad, but isn't more emphasis on a point system and less on family ties a similar approach as that used in Canada and Europe? Why is this automatically bad?

1. It doesn't make sense economically
2. They're really just doing it to try to keep white people from being overtaken in numbers

Top Bottom