• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump names climate science denier to run NASA

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Think Progress
Republican Congressman had demanded Obama apologize for funding climate change research
In a Friday night news dump, the White House announced that President Donald Trump Plans to nominate Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK), a climate science denier to be administrator of NASA.

Bridenstine is a politician without any scientific credentials, unlike previous NASA chiefs, and for that reason his nomination has already been criticized by both Florida's senators Marco Rubio (R) and Bill Nelson (D), Politico reports. Rubio said, ”I just think [his nomination] could be devastating for the space program."

NASA scientists have led the way in documenting the scientific reality of climate change. But in 2013, Bridenstine not only gave a speech on the House floor filled with standard denier talking points, he actually ended his remarks with a demand that President Obama apologize for funding research into climate science.

”Mr. Speaker, global temperatures stopped rising 10 years ago," claimed Bridenstine, ”Global temperature changes, when they exist, correlate with Sun output and ocean cycles."

Although Bridenstine serves on the House science committee, those remarks were in contradiction to well-established science at the time–and indeed to NASA's own research. Back in 2010, a NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) science brief summarizing recent research, explains, ”A study by GISS climate scientists recently published in the journal Science shows that atmospheric CO2 operates as a thermostat to control the temperature of Earth."

Not confirmed by Senate yet at least.
UPDATE: John Holdren–an environmental scientist who served as Obama Science advisor and Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy for 8 years–emails ThinkProgress, ”Bridenstine's stance on climate change reveals him to be a fact-averse, scientifically illiterate ideologue and a danger, if confirmed by the Senate, to NASA's leadership in space science and Earth science alike."

Video - Rep Jim Bridenstine (R-OK) Demands Obama Apologize on Global Warming

WaterAstro

Does this mean he can't get lobby money since he's in the administration?

He might stop denying climate change now. lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Duh. Huge surprise. Kinda like all the other appointments. Name the person that wants to destroy it. Yawn...the playbook is obvious. His ratings are going to slip if he keeps using the same tropes on his show.

Saya

This should not surprise anyone. Look at who he appointed to head the EPA. Both institutions research climate change and the environment.

Jarmel

Banned
guy with zero science credentials heading NASA

How the fuck is this allowed? Why is the head of NASA an appointed position?

rokkerkory

If u dont think climate change due to humans is real please go live in some of the dirtiest cities like in asia. See how your health goes.

Why is the head of NASA an appointed position?

It probably used to make sense when we had real smart and dedicated people running our country and Space was like achieving an epoch advancement in the civ race. But now in the hands of a mentally challenged man, yeah we might need to reconsider that option...

Drain You

Bridenstine is a politician without any scientific credentials, unlike previous NASA chiefs

I'm not the most educated person when it comes to things NASA nor do I closely follow who is working for NASA, but I feel like being an actual scientist or Dr. would benefit you greatly as a NASA Chief.

You know, I figured he wasn't going to do shit. I thought he'd just sit there and be called president, but he seems to be really proactive.
He actively goes out of his way to fuck up every facet of this country. He's determined to leave his stamp in US history.

Continuing to fuck up the world, even more despicable when you think the most affected by climate change will be the poorest people on earth, far away from the US and the rest of the developed world.

Fuck them all.

Basically he'll shut down all environmental regulation / talk and let the scientists do what they do, not get in their way and step on too many toes I think. We all know the only reason why he's there

Nightbird

Dude has ZERO scientific credentials. Is there a word for being shocked but also not shocked at all?

mild_shock_patrick_stewart_acting.gif

The fact that this guy doesn't have a single scientific credential is the most disgusting part of this for me.

Think of all those people who slave away in science majors all their lives, hoping to even be a part of an agency like NASA.

Sickening.

I like how the only qualification you need to hold these extremely powerful positions is to be wrong about something that is obvious to most of the world

Greedings

I have a dream that Trump will fuck up science funding in the US enough to let other countries compete.

You guys have too much money for research, it's not fair!

Top Bottom