• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump names climate science denier to run NASA

Opto

Banned
What, next you're going to tell me someone who hates public education runs the Education Department?

ash321

He is like the ultimate real life troll that doesn't care what happens to the world.
Because he is fucking old. Like "if he die tomorrow I'll have a mild shock" old.
Of course mtfker not gonna give a fuck about anyone when he about to go anyway.

This is the reason why I don't want to have kids. They will be the generation that have to deal with the consequences.

I'm so fucking angry right now.

Dram

Elections have consequences.
I wonder if Trump's actions will put the Green Party in a permanent decline now? It really looks like people who voted for Jill Stein, because Hillary wasn't pure enough, just wasted their votes.

zeemumu

I dunno. If I were evil and under the impression that NASA could come up with a sustainable way for a very small amount of people to live in space for some amount of time, this seems like it'd be part of the plan.

You deny climate change and put other deniers in charge of organizations that would try to stop you from making things worse. That way you can continue doing what you're doing.

Then you put one of your people in charge of NASA to come up with that whole "living in space for a little while" thing while the population is busy fighting with the idiots that you created through the climate change denial.

When shit hits the fan, you bail for a while, the population takes a major hit and decreases significantly, and when things start to even out again due to lack of mankind, you come back.

Seems like a great plan if you have a lot of influence, little to no human decency, and very little idea of how the planet or space work.

like an atheist becoming pope

like a moron becoming US president

Being smart has NEVER been a requirement for the presidency. It's just not often that someone's stupid enough to look at the president on TV and go "Yeah I could do that" and actually have the money and influence to run a campaign.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I wonder if Trump's actions will put the Green Party in a permanent decline now? It really looks like people who voted for Jill Stein, because Hillary wasn't pure enough, just wasted their votes.
If they didn't collapse after 2000 when they had Ralph Nader running, they're not going to collapse now.

belmonkey

If u dont think climate change due to humans is real please go live in some of the dirtiest cities like in asia. See how your health goes.

I dunno, I feel like I see quite a few people that think global warming = all climate change, so they are against it by default or think it's seasonal changes or something. :/

jerry113

Banned
NASA is one of the few things I'm proud of this country for. Why are you fucking this up too.

How soon until NASA starts releasing propaganda statements about how climate change is fake?

Ploid 3.0

This guy really is trying to destroy America. What the heck does Russia have on him? He's not being subtle about it at all.

Every single person who voted for Trump is guilty of treason and I will never forgive any of them, ever. They better pray there is no hell because 62,984,825 people are hellbound for that offense alone.

Environment and global warming will disappear from public consciousness for a good 4 or 8 years at this rate.

Again, only way to surmount this is to counter the ignorance that every right wing media outlet is spitting out, but climate change denial is so deeply entrenched that even facts won't do anything.

I'd feel less doom and gloom if there were Republicans that believed climate change is real and they were still "allies" of Trump.

Yeah why the hell isn't Jill up in arms about this? Ugh

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I guess living in a relatively liberal area has blinded me somewhat but why are there so many of these goofy motherfuckers in important places in this country. You are going to have some bad apples here and there but no, we have tons of orchards that are fucked up. A non-scientific person in charge of science. I watched NASA's coverage of the eclipse and it was superb, now imagine this fucking dildo in charge.

jerry113

Banned
Systematic teardown

Stuff like what's happening at the USDA, EPA, NASA, and the Department of the Interior is going to discourage away scientists from the international community from wanting to work with us or move here to do good work.

Up and coming scientists right now will probably be more motivated to do work in other countries more supportive of open research. We're self-sabotaging ourselves here, which is the most painful part.

This administration seems to be trying to create a brain drain out of the country. We won't see the tangible effects of it now, but years from now when more and more innovation seems to happen outside the USA than from inside it, we'll know why.

Re-electing a Democrat into the White House isn't going to fix the bad things that are happening now. It's not so easy to rebuild the trust reputation in an election. We're witnessing the incremental ceding of the USA, in real time, as a credible leader of scientific research.

sirap

Hahahahaha good job America.

Just go all the way and replace everyone at NASA with out of work coal miners. That'll fix their economic anxiety.

Joeku

Hey, Canada has our own space agency. We...built an arm thing!

It's even on our money:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzNC8yMzcvb3JpZ2luYWwvY2FuYWRhLTUtYmlsbC1zcGFjZS1yb2JvdC5qcGc=

Good job on this one, America. This is sure to make you great again.

EGM1966

Running the country into the ground.

God's flat ground.

I can't believe the extent to which some aspects of US social, scientific and political position is nose diving into the shitter.

The anti-science underbelly behind a lot this boils my scientifically orientated blood.

This is yet another example of Trump bowing to Russian pressure. They were so fucking pissed they weren't first to the moon. Now it's, "hey, you should close down your space program comrade." "Yes Vlad, it's getting in the way of my tremendous steaks, TRUMP STEAKS, they're really tremendous." I hope Trump chokes on a donkey dick and gets found like that by all his children. And then 60% of them die of shock and Tiffany and Barron write tell-all books about what it was like to be "raised" by the spawn of Satan.

BREAKING NEWS

From the BBC: President Trump has nominated Christopher Hitchens' frozen head as the new Pope. Yes, we've told him he can't do that and then he flung some poop at us and called us Fake News™.

I dunno, I feel like I see quite a few people that think global warming = all climate change, so they are against it by default or think it's seasonal changes or something. :/
It's that + not believing that humans could affect the nature on that level + thinking that because some scientists disagree means the whole concept is flawed and not worth trusting, which just shows such a gross misunderstanding in how science even works that it hurts to see (I've been reading a lot of Sagan recently)

Xe4

Banned
Disgusting, but wholly unsurprising. It's not enough that the new director is a climate change denier (running an agency that has spent more time than nearly any other in the world studying AGW). He also has to be totally unqualified in an unprecedented way.

: /

Absolutely awful, but not surprising given Trump's intentional tendency to nominate the worst people for their positions.

Environment and global warming will disappear from public consciousness for a good 4 or 8 years at this rate.

Again, only way to surmount this is to counter the ignorance that every right wing media outlet is spitting out, but climate change denial is so deeply entrenched that even facts won't do anything.

I'd feel less doom and gloom if there were Republicans that believed climate change is real and they were still "allies" of Trump.

Republicans believe in Climate Change (Climate Change deniers are technically on the decline too), it just isn't profitable enough for them, so they don't care.

When this nightmare is over
(if it ever will be over?)
I hope someone will try and put it into perspective, damage done/clock set back to etc.

Will be an interesting an depressing read!

thinking that because some scientists disagree means the whole concept is flawed and not worth trusting,

"Some scientists" is already a misrepresentation.
Among actively publishing scientists in the field there is virtually no one who disagrees with the consensus that climate change is real, really bad and man made to a significant degree.

I havent seen peer reviewed academic work coming to a different conclusion in probably 10 years.

This is the ridiculous thing: there is no debate among scientists whether or climate change is real or man made. That questipn has been settled a long time ago.
Its only still a public and political debate because big money interests(fossil fuel coorporations) buy politicians and influence the media narrative to create doubt in people who dont understand science.
And its so wildly successful that theyve been able to suppress truth for decades now. Even though all the information is readily available.

People said the same thing in 2000 when Gore won the popular vote but lost the election. The green party has been in a constant decline into irrelevance but it's more to do with America becoming increasingly partisan.

I do see the need for a third party, I just wish we can have a third party that's more moderate instead of ultra right/left.

Top Bottom