• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump names climate science denier to run NASA

NASA has really been taking a beating these past few years, and now to top it off they get to be just like the EPA; having an unqualified political appointee call all their decades of worth untrustworthy or political.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I wonder if Trump's actions will put the Green Party in a permanent decline now? It really looks like people who voted for Jill Stein, because Hillary wasn't pure enough, just wasted their votes.

Yes, and the AVALANCHE party will rise.

Neith

Banned
At this point NASA might as well be funneling money into war games and shit lol. I mean, if they aren't already. Oh man America.

Neith

Banned
"Some scientists" is already a misrepresentation.
Among actively publishing scientists in the field there is virtually no one who disagrees with the consensus that climate change is real, really bad and man made to a significant degree.

I havent seen peer reviewed academic work coming to a different conclusion in probably 10 years.

This is the ridiculous thing: there is no debate among scientists whether or climate change is real or man made. That questipn has been settled a long time ago.
Its only still a public and political debate because big money interests(fossil fuel coorporations) buy politicians and influence the media narrative to create doubt in people who dont understand science.
And its so wildly successful that theyve been able to suppress truth for decades now. Even though all the information is readily available.

Even if it was not agreed upon all you need to do is go to a couple cities in China or India to see what the fuck is wrong with the world and its industries. There are entire cities where it's basically poison to breathe the air.

You aren't going to make the world a better place by waiting for an ice age. It's time to change some of this shit now.

I did a quick Google-job and didn't find immediate evidence that this guy is a flat-earth truther. It's kind of surreal that I even had to do this earnestly, because this is where we're at these days.

It's almost as if scientific proof of climate change and regulations brought by it, have the potential to damage big multinational-conglomerates, that completely coincidentally, donate large cash sums to Republican candidates.

Not surprised and if anything it should be further proof of the need to change the system.

G.ZZZ

Taxes hurt the rich the most and make the poor live better?

Better campaign against them!

Regulations improve the lives of the many at the expense of the gains of the fews?

Better campaign against them!

The shittiest part is how the masses actually believe this shit. Free markets, low taxes, low regulations, small state , and so many poor people actualy believe this shit.

Russia won the cold war. The US killed themselves with their anti-communism propaganda.

Carcetti

Trump is a godsend for any future historians. They can pinpoint the exact date when USA lost its superpower supremacy and went into a death spiral.

bwahahahahah

fucking laughable state of affairs. America is a total farce. or at least the Republican party.

surely all the NASA workers will just walk out if this doofus gets in? they should all just quit.

Mathieran

Banned
I hope all the scientists that work there make life hell for him. So many subtle ways all these really smart people can fuck with him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The best people. A dream team. You'll be tired of winning.

Lucreto

The next Democrat president is going to have a mile long to-do list of things to reverse or untangle.

Isn't is always the case? Republicans destroy everything and Democrats are the janitors who clean up the mess only to have the cycle repeat.

Pity the next democratic President can't create an executive order to rescind all of Trump's executive orders.

This is the ridiculous thing: there is no debate among scientists whether or climate change is real or man made. That questipn has been settled a long time ago.
Its only still a public and political debate because big money interests(fossil fuel coorporations) buy politicians and influence the media narrative to create doubt in people who dont understand science.
And its so wildly successful that theyve been able to suppress truth for decades now. Even though all the information is readily available.

The sad thing is the Republican argument is that the scientists are all being paid by, apparently, Big Solar or whatever, and the government itself is trying to make itself bigger by forcing its way into the energy industry and regulate everything.

It's literally a fictitious reality they perceive.

The sad thing is the Republican argument is that the scientists are all being paid by, apparently, Big Solar or whatever, and the government itself is trying to make itself bigger by forcing its way into the energy industry and regulate everything.

It's literally a fictitious reality they perceive.

Big Solar killed my uncle.

Not surprised fucktard Trump is fucking with institutions and agencies in the most troll way possible, yet again, showing his complete incompetence, to the applause of the lemmings that support him.
And they make excuses for him, because they are mentally deficient.

Yes, Trump will do a bunch of stuff in 7 more years.

You mean for 1 more year, he is getting removed from office then.

please Satan/God/Santa/Buddha/Spaghetti Monster/Kira I will sell my immortal soul

Cvie

There is no climate in space. Checkmate ecologists.

you gotta up your science game

Republican Brandon Smith of Kentucky

Climate change and Mars
In 2014, Smith attracted local and eventually national news media attention when he stated during a legislative committee hearing:

As you [Energy and Environment Cabinet official] sit there in your chair with your data, we sit up here in ours with our data and our constituents and stuff behind us. I don't want to get into the debate about climate change, but I will simply point out that I think in academia we all agree that the temperature on Mars is exactly as it is here. Nobody will dispute that. Yet there are no coal mines on Mars. There are no factories on Mars that I'm aware of.[5][6][7]

Despite Smith's assertion, the average temperature of Mars is colder than that of Earth by 138 degrees Fahrenheit.[8] At the time of the senator's remarks, the Curiosity rover had last reported a high of −17 °C (1 °F), low −80 °C (−112 °F).[9] The temperature in the capital city of Frankfort, Kentucky ranged from 21 °C (70 °F) to 27 °C (81 °F).[10]

Smith later issued a response from his Twitter account that clarified his statement: "climate shift we see on earth comparable to those occurring on other planets in our solar system".[11]

ps3ud0

Man this feels like the start of the dark ages...

Thanks God for 'Murcia! Idiocracy wasn't made up, just forward thinking

ps3ud0 8)

Morat

Banned
This is what politicised science looks like. Seriously USA, you are nearly at the Lysenko level of pseudoscience.

3cd8a33a.png

And now we will never leave.

El_Mau

I'm sure they're intelligent enough to realise that would be far more destructive than staying.

How? I mean, if some of them are invited by foreing institues or universities to continue their work I don't see how that could be worst than staying and see their work blocked by a climate change denier.

How? I mean, if some of them are invited by foreing institues or universities to continue their work I don't see how that could be worst than staying and see their work blocked by a climate change denier.

They would potentially lose access to all the work they have done at NASA. Impossible amounts of data, unique equipment or software, established networks of colleagues and contacts. Classified information that they will no longer be able to work with. Decades of effort.

They can't just hop onto someone else's project, what they were doing at NASA may not exactly correlate with what another space agency is trying to accomplish.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with individuals or groups choosing to leave especially as a form of protest towards the administration or if they believe that they can no longer continue the work they believe in.

But a significant portion of NASA leaving simultaneously could presumably cause major setbacks to the US space and satellite program for more years than a single rogue administration. Think of the people Trump's regime would get to replace them. Think of the data or work left with no one there to try their best to protect it. Think of all the stalled projects that so far have managed to elude Trump's fickle scrutiny. Even with this guy in charge, I'm sure there are processes that can be used by existing employees to at least mitigate the damage.

It would certainly be worse if they all left.

NASA sucks anyway; thank "god" there's SpaceX.

I'd take a government-run space program over a private corporation any day of the week.

You know, I figured he wasn't going to do shit. I thought he'd just sit there and be called president, but he seems to be really proactive.
He actively goes out of his way to fuck up every facet of this country. He's determined to leave his stamp in US history.

He has his orders from Putin and has been faithfully carrying them out.

Eh, when it's this government....

Even if it's this government, as at least there is some accountability and balance that makes it in some ways beholden to the general populace. There's only so much damage Trump can do; past a critical point his actions would either be unconstitutional or blocked by Congress. This goes especially for NASA, which is still held as a national symbol of pride (though of course, this does not make NASA invincible). NASA still has the experience and work ethic of its membership, even as their supervisors might go corrupt. It will survive to a newer, hopefully better administration.

Corporations as a rule tend to be beholden to profits, even if they pay lip service to ideals. They are accountable to their shareholders or to the limited perspective/desires of their owners. They have much greater ability to cut corners, pick and choose data, ignore non-illegal issues. They are not necessarily easier to corrupt, but they are easier to divert from working for the common individual.

I would not generally trust power over a public good to a private organization. Though I doubt the feasibility of the idea that space is the common birthright of humanity as a whole, I still see it as an ideal, and the idea of a private corporation dictating the future of exploration to the cosmos is in my opinion anathema to that.

It's really amazing how far you can go in life just by being a conservative straight white christian male.

It's almost akin to a Disney fast-pass in relation to the general population.

E-Cat

Even if it's this government, as at least there is some accountability and balance that makes it in some ways beholden to the general populace. There's only so much damage Trump can do; past a critical point his actions would either be unconstitutional or blocked by Congress. This goes especially for NASA, which is still held as a national symbol of pride (though of course, this does not make NASA invincible). NASA still has the experience and work ethic of its membership, even as their supervisors might go corrupt. It will survive to a newer, hopefully better administration.

Corporations as a rule tend to be beholden to profits, even if they pay lip service to ideals. They are accountable to their shareholders or to the limited perspective/desires of their owners. They have much greater ability to cut corners, pick and choose data, ignore non-illegal issues. They are not necessarily easier to corrupt, but they are easier to divert from working for the common individual.

I would not generally trust power over a public good to a private organization. Though I doubt the feasibility of the idea that space is the common birthright of humanity as a whole, I still see it as an ideal, and the idea of a private corporation dictating the future of exploration to the cosmos is in my opinion anathema to that.
Well, let's hope Congress won't let him pass, though I have my doubts. So much for accountability if they do.

SpaceX has investors, yes; but at least they're not a publicly traded company, so not beholden to quarterly profits. SpaceX's 'limited perspective' arguably exceeds NASA's at the moment, precisely due to it being a private vs public company. NASA cannot even send rockets into orbit anymore; whereas SpaceX will have manned flights to the ISS by next year. One of the reasons why Musk founded SpaceX was because on NASA's website there wasn't even a roadmap to go to Mars. So, I'll take that limited vision, corruption and all. At least they're not anti-science / anti-progress.

Apathy

The next Democrat president is going to have a mile long to-do list of things to reverse or untangle.

Check back the last day 30-40 years, it's literally been the same when a Democrat got elected. Obama had to do it, Clinton had to do it. The Dems fix the shit Republicans do and make friends with countries that the Republicans come in and shit all over.

Top Bottom