• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

Yo, props to Jerry's old ass and the Cowboys. I feel like the whole team taking a knee shows that they understand why Kaep was kneeling. Even though they did it before the anthem, it's better than what the Texans did.

Jerry's face says, "don't ask for a damn thing else" though lmao.

Slayven

w696Y9H.jpg

He can't maintain that thin mask of human empathy for more then 2 tweets

While I understand this and I enjoy Deadspin quite a bit, I don't think they nailed it.

The Cowboys kneeling before the anthem also caused boos, which really helped tell everyone all they needed to know.

These people don't give a shit about the flag.

agreed,

Slayven

Jerry Jones only did it because Trump dared tell him what to do. Nothing can convince me otherwise

Shannon Sharper is right

Jerry Jones only did it because Trump dared tell him what to do. Nothing can convince me otherwise

Shannon Sharper is right

I'm kinda convinced it was so he could be on TV for a few more minutes.

Either that or his body runs on salt and the right is the most readily available source right now.

Basketball

The pessimist in me is telling me that

people really like trends and hearing themselves speak/tweet/getting likes rather than raising awareness.

But seriously you can see the diet racism by the way people talk about the players kneeling very telling.

I think it still accomplishes a lot and is pretty powerful having all of them including Jerry Jones who m any were hating on just hours ago (and probably rightly so). If Trump and his blind supporters still attack the cowboys for this show then it really cements the fact that it is all about racism and not about the anthem at all, even if that is pretty clear to many people already.

Agreed. Listen to the people booing them in the video and tell me the Cowboys gesture was meaningless. It obviously meant quite a bit to those who disapproved of it.

And as mentioned, kneeling before the anthem rather than during drives home the point (maybe inadvertently) that many people's disapproval has nothing to do with any of their patriotic bullshit.

TraBuch

Banned
All they need to say is they thought they were gonna kneel during the anthem. Did the boos continue when they all stood up for it?

Agreed. Listen to the people booing them in the video and tell me the Cowboys gesture was meaningless. It obviously meant quite a bit to those who disapproved of it.

And as mentioned, kneeling before the anthem rather than during drives home the point (maybe inadvertently) that many people's disapproval has nothing to do with any of their patriotic bullshit.

This

Yes it sucks that this is what it took for jerry jones to get "woke" but fuck it better late then never. If fans are still booing people who kneel BEFORE the anthem then it's clear they aren't booing the "disrespect of our country" they're booing the protest itself.

Hesh

A lot of people are kind of showing that they don't follow football normally and are just here for the social commentary. The Cowboys are the opposing team in Arizona tonight, they'll get booed for everything they do, from running onto the field, to running plays, to when they run back to the locker room at halftime. The only places the Cowboys will get cheered while on the road is in California transplant cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles and formerly San Diego where the hometown fan bases are pretty abysmal and let transplant fans buy up tickets to cheer on the visiting team.

I'm not saying nobody booing inside the stadium was doing so because they disagreed with the kneeling, but because so many people there would boo the Cowboys simply for existing inside their stadium because they're the opposing team it kind of skews the litmus test we were hoping to get from tonight's pre-game demonstration. A more interesting scenario will be next week at home versus the Rams and whether or not they kneel, either before or during the anthem, and how the hometown Dallas fans react.

Terry Tate: Political Linebacker?

Merc_

The fact that they chose to do it before the anthem is so perfect. It completely fucks up the "disrespecting the flag" angle that the right has been running with.

Makes it plain for all to see what this anger is really about.

traveler

Not Wario
The shows of solidarity are great and all, but I hope the original purpose of the kneeling isn't lost amidst this greater response. Sharpe was more critical of the teams doing it than I would be, but I do think his reasoning is spot on and his delivery perfect- there's a bit of hypocrisy to only doing this now. I'll take what we can get, but I hope those kneeling now stick with it and understand what they're kneeling for.

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/912416051081748481

Shepard Smith also being aware of the narrative change.

”We're complicit" damn right.

I don't know who exactly Shep is turning around- if anyone- given his home, but I'm glad he's there doing what he's doing.

jtb

Banned
Shep is a joke. He gives Fox a verneer of legitimacy that they absolutely don't deserve. Way past giving him any props. He's part of the problem, not the solution.

Usobuko

Banned
All Trump voters feel this way. A plurality of "liberals" feel this way too.

When minority aired their grievances, they are "bitter", "disruptive" and "should just be ignored".

When white people do the same, it's a real problem and we should "empathize" with their anger and "economic anxiety".

Even though they earned much more generally and live a more privilege life.

Pat_DC

When minority aired their grievances, they are "bitter", "disruptive" and "should just be ignored".

When white people do the same, it's a real problem and we should "empathize" with their anger and "economic anxiety".

Even though they earned much more generally and live a more privilege life.

Also don't forget when grown adults like Don Jr or PewPew makes a mistake they are just a kid who doesn't know any better.

As a non American this whole thing is insane, to have the leader of your country so openly turning people against one another and distort the issue is crazy to me. That article in NYT by Eric Reid was a great read..

TraBuch

Banned
My dad, who's been 100% against players kneeling during the anthem, liked the kneel before the anthem and stand during.

I was totally expecting this to piss him off, too.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nick Wright is on point with that. I know some people can't stand the guy, but I always love when he fills in for Cowherd.
Nick Wright is a good sports guy. He's also very woke. He's married to a black lady. He used to host the morning show here in Houston, I miss having him down here.

Very on point. I'd expect nothing less from him.

When Dale Jr is more down for the cause than starting NFL QB's

jbhmmm.png

Junior has also been outspoken for years about the Confederate flag being at NASCAR events and that it shouldn't be there. I'm not shocked that he's in support of these guys.

From all accounts, Dale Sr. also wasn't a fan of it but wasn't very vocal about it (either because he read the room and knew he'd get crucified for speaking out, or just because he thought it was a personal opinion).

Top Bottom