• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Trump Tanks" - HuffPost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

that was my little brother, he's a liberal and hakced my account
The liberal media got to him. Everyone has at least one propaganda victim in their family.

Maybe it's not too late. Sprinkle little shreds of a $0.99 American Flag mixed with gunpowder in his meals and see if he starts to act more reasonable in a week or so. You could also try humming songs from the soundtrack of Hillary's America in his ear while he sleeps. Just 4 - 6 hours per night should do it.

benjipwns

Banned
POBu2U6.gif
brb going to play saints row iv as the donald

Drencrom

You guys know that the "white people pls" and "white americans keep fuckin up" posts just feeds into Trump voter's conviction to vote for him, right?

Monocle

You guys know that the "white people pls" and "white americans keep fuckin up" posts just feeds into Trump voter's conviction to vote for him, right?
Try to remember that plenty of Trump's base are computer illiterate, or just plain uninterested in what goes on in this exotic realm of cat pictures and swearing.

Drencrom

Try to remember that plenty of Trump's base are computer illiterate, or just plain uninterested in what goes on in this exotic realm of cat pictures and swearing.

Sure, most Trump voters are probably not browsing here. Still, a reminder that discourse like that will probably just "justify" them voting for Trump more as they feel attacked etc.

I mean, I'm pretty sure going "(miniority group) please, stop fucking up" to any other kind of news wouldn't be looked favorably upon here either.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I mean, I'm pretty sure going "(miniority group) please, stop fucking up" to any other kind of news wouldn't be looked favorably upon here either.
When you're fucking up, you're fucking up. People were rightfully critical when gay rights were polling terribly among black voters, for instance.

So, beyond the memes, can someone give a real explanation to why Trump is tanking? I don't see how his base that has been supporting him from day 1 gives a fuck about all the recent stuff.

gaugebozo

If you're still intending to vote for Trump after last week, being nice on the internet isn't going to bring you back.

So, beyond the memes, can someone give a real explanation to why Trump is tanking? I don't see how his base that has been supporting him from day 1 gives a fuck about all the recent stuff.

His base is still there, and has never left. However, two things have happened: a small percentage of people who were unsure about voting for Hillary have looked over at the dumpster foundry that is the Trump campaign and decided maybe she's not so bad, and some of the people he has picked up since clinching the nomination have decided, "Fuck this shit, I thought he was just against brown people, not Gold Star families."

If you're still trying to vote for trump you are a lost cause. Affiliation with trump is toxic and everyone will know it.

Any voter, white or otherwise, who would vote for Trump because someone hurt his feefees would probably vote for him anyway because Trump has the crying manbaby vote on lock.

His base is only about 1/2 of the Republican party. That's roughly a quarter of the population that is so far beyond being a lost cause anyway they they can safely be ignored forever.

tanooki27

I really should read up on how these polls actually work, as I've always had a hard time believing any poll I see. It seems like an easy thing to skew or spin in the direction you want.

they call a sample of 1,000 people or so. good polling is studied because it's often been proven accurate

Nipo

When you're fucking up, you're fucking up. People were rightfully critical when gay rights were polling terribly among black voters, for instance.

I haven't looked recently is gay rights polling better with black and Muslim voters now?

they call a sample of 1,000 people or so. good polling is studied because it's often been proven accurate

To expand on this, if you call a random sample of people that is sufficiently large and accurately represents the demographics of the population being modeled, polling theory says that the results of the poll can be extrapolated to the population as a whole within a margin of error.

tanooki27

To expand on this, if you call a random sample of people that is sufficiently large and accurately represents the demographics of the population being modeled, polling theory says that the results of the poll can be extrapolated to the population as a whole within a margin of error.

quite right

benjipwns

Banned
I haven't looked recently is gay rights polling better with black and Muslim voters now?
For the most part, every subgroup is becoming more favorable.

Pew poll from 2015:
For example, a majority of whites (59%) and Hispanics (56%) favor same-sex marriage, compared with 41% of blacks.
Up from 30% in 2010 and 27% in 2005.

Among black Protestants, 33% favor same-sex marriage
Up from 29% in 2010 and 21% in 2006.

Also, Pew:
As of 2011, U.S. Muslims were somewhat split between those who said homosexuality should be accepted by society (39%) and those who said it should be discouraged (45%), although the group had grown considerably more accepting of homosexuality since a similar survey was conducted in 2007.
Though Muslims are only slightly above 1% of the US population.

benjipwns

Banned
You can only get public poll results on what people publicly release from their polls. Gay marriage is unfortunately one of the only forms of it consistently polled over decades.

As a white person who actually cares about everyone in this country and not just other white people, I've just been forced to accept that I'm a kind of aberration.

I'm not going to do any of this, "Please don't blame us!" stuff. We're to blame, as a group. I was raised in this hateful shit just like most white folk I know. I grew up in California and Washington, super liberal places. But not in cities. My father's bookshelf was full of books by Reagan, Rand, Limbaugh, Coulter. He is a intelligent man, works for a tech company, very dedicated to his family, but also certain of the correctness of white male superiority.

Clinton was a name people spat when I was a kid, not something they said. In 2000, when Bush won, teenage kids my age literally linked hands and danced around the flagpole at school, celebrating "their" victory, looking for all the world to me like some kind of jingoistic cult. In 2008, when Obama won, my dad cried and turned to my mom and said, "My children are going to be slaves." The delusion is so real. Been on top so long, a large number of us have justified it by convincing themselves that personal freedoms and opportunities are a zero sum game. And this was an educated, middle class neighborhood in a liberal state. None of this stuff was particularly out in the open for everyone to see, but it wasn't especially well hidden either. I can only imagine what households more rural than that are like.

Other white people who haven't closed themselves off to empathy need to face the fact that our culture is like this head-on. We can't just let it keep going like this. If you grew up in a completely liberal household as a white person, please recognize that ethically, politically you won the fucking lottery. But just "being on the right side of history" isn't enough. We have to change this shit. We have to at least try, goddamnit. Simply divorcing ourselves from this insanity just seems to me anymore like good men, doing nothing. It not ok, it was never ok and it's gone on far, far too long.

You're an awesome person. Shine on.

As a white person, I am glad that members of the majority group are typically treated as individuals rather than as a single uniform entity.

I'm voting for Hillary.

Meh most of the people saying this are white themselves. Also it's not like they're wrong either. The vast majority of Trump/GOP supporters are white people who are collectively screwing it over for everyone else. Thank god this country has a strong enough minority base to save itself from destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom