• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Trump Tanks" - HuffPost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

I like how white america can see all this and still the majority will support him.
I am a white male in Florida voting for Hillary. My family, except for my 2 brothers, are voting for Trump almost solely for Tax reasons. Like single issue voter. Some of them think the racism present in the campaign horrible but they think Hillary is literally the devil who lies even more. Conservative Media has done their work down here planting that idea that she can absolutely not be trusted. That she will say and do anything to get what she wants, etc.

It's all very depressing to me and I don't know how to approach them about it. It was hard enough to get my Bernie Bro brothers to get on the Hillary bandwagon (the racism in the Trump campaign made them realize the importance of their vote) I can't imagine the fight it would take to convert the others to Hillary.

h1nch

I am a white male in Florida voting for Hillary. My family, except for my 2 brothers, are voting for Trump almost solely for Tax reasons. Like single issue voter. Some of them think the racism present in the campaign horrible but they think Hillary is literally the devil who lies even more. Conservative Media has done their work down here planting that idea that she can absolutely not be trusted. That she will say and do anything to get what she wants, etc.

It's all very depressing to me and I don't know how to approach them about it. It was hard enough to get my Bernie Bro brothers to get on the Hillary bandwagon (the racism in the Trump campaign made them realize the importance of their vote) I can't imagine the fight it would take to convert the others to Hillary.

My parents are in the same boat. I believe it's because they've been caught in the conservative echo chamber ever since Obama won in 2008, and it's just piled on ever since. Their social circle buys all the right-wing propaganda, they watch Fox News, and have been conditioned to think Hillary is evil incarnate. At the last family dinner I started poking holes in their logic, and it just made them even more frustrated. To them Trump's obvious racism and general awfulness is just "meh, whatever nobody's perfect" but OMG HILLARY MURDERED THOSE POOR SOLDIERS IN BENGHAZI.

I have since instituted a 'no politics talk during dinner' policy when I visit.

He's losing in Georgia too. Georgia. Go vote people lets convert all these poll wins to actual results.

Georgia was looking purple even before Trump took the nomination. Demographic changes as well as an increasingly-younger voting block finally getting more politically active was going to make it a toss-up state within twenty years.

The idea of it flipping now is...ridiculous, but what part of this election isn't.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Even if Trump does not win, he has already won. He is far from a competent politician but the effect he has had on political discourse is irreversible. No longer are people with non-liberal viewpoints afraid to speak up, the most militant of liberals have shown their true colors as far as their thinly veiled contempt for differing opinions and democracy as a whole goes (even up to the point of committing violence), media biases have been exposed, both parties were caught with their pants down, and skepticism towards establishment politicans is at an all time high.

Thank you Donald Trump.

Someone call the Poe-lice.

I am a white male in Florida voting for Hillary. My family, except for my 2 brothers, are voting for Trump almost solely for Tax reasons. Like single issue voter. Some of them think the racism present in the campaign horrible but they think Hillary is literally the devil who lies even more.

I think I have 3 family members voting for Trump. One of them literally shares pictures about Obama being a terrorist, and the other two passionately hate all liberals. It's scary.

Trouble

Banned
Heh, I was worried this would be a thread about Trump branded tanks :|

POBu2U6.gif

Kthulhu

I'm keeping my eye on Texas. They're very red traditionally, but the big cities have a lot of liberals, and lower Texas has a lot of Hispanics.

... Trump hasn't been kind to them.

We're gerrymandered to hell, it's not gonna happen till at least 2020.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just look at the facts. Look at the demographic breakdowns of support for presidential candidates and polcies. If only White Americans could vote, this country would still look a lot like it did when only White Americans could vote.

My wife is super depressed because almost all of her family in Iowa are Trump supporters. Her favorite aunt is a massive Trump supporter, and it's blown her mind.

I have at least one friend who is a frothy mouthed Trump supporter, and I'm seriously considering ending the friendship. She says some of the most hateful, racist, disgusting things on her facebook that I unfollowed her posts. I guess she considers me "one of the good ones," and would probably be shocked if I told her how disgusted I am at her racism and hate. I just don't want to get into it with her online. I'd rather do it face to face, personally. If it wasn't for the fact that we've been friends for damn near 18 years, I'd cut her loose. It's a frustrating position to be in. This election cycle has been so eye opening for me, and I've always known how shitty it is being a minority in this country. I live it every fucking day. I foolishly wanted to believe that the bigoted, hateful, racist portion of the country was smaller than the non-hateful, racist, bigoted portion, but I see that it's frighteningly large.

Trump has emboldened racists. "If our next President can 'tell it like it is,' I can too!"

It's just really depressing. My kids will be mixed, and I'm terrified of the country they will have to grow up in. The looks me and my wife get when walking down the street, holding hands is telling of what people really think, even if they aren't burning crosses on our doorstep. It's been a shameful, eye opening 2016, that's for sure.

"2016: Minorities have been right about how much this country hates them."

robosllim

As a white person in Iowa which went blue in the past two elections and looks to do it again even with one of the whitest electorates in the country, try not to blame us, either.
Illinois here. Voting blue since '92! Also Hillary's home state, so I think we're safely against Trump.

Edit: that said, everyone in my family who's from the previous generation is voting Trump, so that's a bummer.

As a white person out west, don't blame us. Blame southern and midwestern whites.

This isn’t our fault!

I love how people always assume it's the bible belt when this stuff exists all over the country. It is not exclusive to the south or midwest and often exists not to far outside of major metropolis.

rjinaz

Even if Trump does not win, he has already won. He is far from a competent politician but the effect he has had on political discourse is irreversible. No longer are people with non-liberal viewpoints afraid to speak up, the most militant of liberals have shown their true colors as far as their thinly veiled contempt for differing opinions and democracy as a whole goes (even up to the point of committing violence), media biases have been exposed, both parties were caught with their pants down, and skepticism towards establishment politicans is at an all time high.

Thank you Donald Trump.

Won't somebody think of the "silent" majority.

This means nothing without going to vote 2018. Getting a Dem in the white house is only 1/2 the battle

How do we get people to the polls during mid-terms, to make people understand the importance? I dunno if anything short of this damn country finally making voting the easiest thing in the world will suffice.

Missouri here. As a white person in the Midwest, don't blame us either! Several of our states are set to swing this year! Plz plz plz

If it swings it'll be minorities carrying y'all.

Romney won Missouri 65-32

California also went Romney amongst white folk

54-43

Pennsylvania 57-42 for Romney amongst white folk.

Minorities are literally keeping y'all from disaster.

Stop saying don't blame us.

Thank you Donald Trump.

That's a narrative that confused people form or go along with when they're angry and don't understand what's going on.

Meowster

At this rate I think Trump will lose Missouri.
I hope so, we have a key Senate race and will have to choose between a new person for Governor since Nixon has met his term. I want Democrats to turn out and show up and win this thing. Last thing we need is a Republican triple crown and turn into Kansas.

Ophelion

As a white person who actually cares about everyone in this country and not just other white people, I've just been forced to accept that I'm a kind of aberration.

I'm not going to do any of this, "Please don't blame us!" stuff. We're to blame, as a group. I was raised in this hateful shit just like most white folk I know. I grew up in California and Washington, super liberal places. But not in cities. My father's bookshelf was full of books by Reagan, Rand, Limbaugh, Coulter. He is a intelligent man, works for a tech company, very dedicated to his family, but also certain of the correctness of white male superiority.

Clinton was a name people spat when I was a kid, not something they said. In 2000, when Bush won, teenage kids my age literally linked hands and danced around the flagpole at school, celebrating "their" victory, looking for all the world to me like some kind of jingoistic cult. In 2008, when Obama won, my dad cried and turned to my mom and said, "My children are going to be slaves." The delusion is so real. Been on top so long, a large number of us have justified it by convincing themselves that personal freedoms and opportunities are a zero sum game. And this was an educated, middle class neighborhood in a liberal state. None of this stuff was particularly out in the open for everyone to see, but it wasn't especially well hidden either. I can only imagine what households more rural than that are like.

Other white people who haven't closed themselves off to empathy need to face the fact that our culture is like this head-on. We can't just let it keep going like this. If you grew up in a completely liberal household as a white person, please recognize that ethically, politically you won the fucking lottery. But just "being on the right side of history" isn't enough. We have to change this shit. We have to at least try, goddamnit. Simply divorcing ourselves from this insanity just seems to me anymore like good men, doing nothing. It not ok, it was never ok and it's gone on far, far too long.

OnPoint

As a white person who actually cares about everyone in this country and not just other white people, I've just been forced to accept that I'm a kind of aberration.

There's a few of us out there. Stay strong. As time marches on, our numbers will grow.

If it swings it'll be minorities carrying y'all.

Romney won Missouri 65-32

California also went Romney amongst white folk

54-43

Pennsylvania 57-42 for Romney amongst white folk.

Minorities are literally keeping y'all from disaster.

Stop saying don't blame us.
Missouri was hardly contested in 2012. There weren't any major campaign events in the state, hell the total ad spending in the state was only 1.3 percent of what it was in 2008.

If work was put in, the state would easily flip back to blue*.

*(Possibly contingent on Nixon committing to not being such a disaster of a governor)

Rur0ni

I'm not going to do any of this, "Please don't blame us!" stuff. We're to blame, as a group. I was raised in this hateful shit just like most white folk I know. I grew up in California and Washington, super liberal places. But not in cities. My father's bookshelf was full of books by Reagan, Rand, Limbaugh, Coulter. He is a intelligent man, works for a tech company, very dedicated to his family, but also certain of the correctness of white male superiority.

Clinton was a name people spat when I was a kid, not something they said. In 2000, when Bush won, teenage kids my age literally linked hands and danced around the flagpole at school, celebrating "their" victory, looking for all the world to me like some kind of jingoistic cult. In 2008, when Obama won, my dad cried and turned to my mom and said, "My children are going to be slaves." The delusion is so real. Been on top so long, a large number of us have justified it by convincing themselves that personal freedoms and opportunities are a zero sum game. And this was an educated, middle class neighborhood in a liberal state. None of this stuff was particularly out in the open for everyone to see, but it wasn't especially well hidden either. I can only imagine what households more rural than that are like.

Other white people who haven't closed themselves off to empathy need to face the fact that our culture is like this head-on. We can't just let it keep going like this. If you grew up in a completely liberal household as a white person, please recognize that ethically, politically you won the fucking lottery. But just "being on the right side of history" isn't enough. We have to change this shit. We have to at least try, goddamnit. Simply divorcing ourselves from this insanity just seems to me anymore like good men, doing nothing. It not ok, it was never ok and it's gone on far, far too long.
Nice post.

...there really needs to be a "White People Acknowledging and Denouncing the Fuckery of other White People" national group. I'd sign up.

Garlador

Well put.

My perspective is pretty "hopeless" in my neck of the woods.

I'm in the center of Bible Belt, "we bleed red" Oklahoma. I work for a farm, ranch, and hunting store that carries an assortment of various firearms, and I see our customers and target demographics every day. The kind that buy camo furniture, six gun safes, and a dozen American flags.

I'm mixed race, but I can pass off as white since I lean more towards my Anglo-Saxon mother's side of the family (my brother towards my father's side). I go to a fairly progressive church and am part of a Bible study group that tries hard to tell folks to get off their high horses and not to be self-righteous and to treat others equally... and I never see that in action outside of those walls.

I'm surrounded by a "redneck" culture that hates gays, hates minorities, hates liberals, hates Obama, hates Muslims, hates women, and loves guns and 9/11 imagery and patriotism... who proudly state they "support our troops" (we have an Air Force Base here) in one breath while calling anyone who votes democrat a "traitor to his country". Where "defeating Hillary" is the only thing that matters...

And it bums me out. It bums me out because we have minorities here, and I see white people avoid them like the plague. Friends and family tell me that - no matter how much Trump represents decisively "un-Christian" values - he's "more Christian than that atheist Hillary" (and the church she goes to "doesn't count"). I remember the looks of certain friends and family members at my wedding where one of my groosmen was a good black friend of mine, the look on my mother's face when I told her my best friend is a bisexual woman living with her current girlfriend, and the moments friends I grew up with and knew for decades ceased speaking to me when I so much as hinted that Obama (or as everyone in my town calls him, "Obummer") has actually improved crime rates, job rates, and illegal immigration. Facts don't matter.

Trump is the perfect candidate for Oklahoman Republicans, because facts, common sense, and basic human decency are in ever-increasingly short supply.

... But at least this one Republican is voting for Hillary this November. "Go ahead and throw away your vote", my mother says... But it makes me feel slightly good to know I'm canceling out hers as well.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I won't apologize for other white people as I'm not responsible for them, but I certainly won't lump myself in with them. I'm proud to say I almost always vote in line with the diverse portion of the country rather than the older, stuck-in-their-ways white people. Trump fans are a real embarrassment to my race. So many "what year is this" moments. Glad it's increasingly looking like Trump's campaign is shitting the bed.

hawk2025

Damn, this was a very powerful post.

Thanks for sharing.

Steel

Banned
Why are there so many white people supporting Trump? They all cann't be racist shitbags, can they?

Majority of people look into politics 5 minutes and then hear random BS rumors from co-workers about how Hillary is literally a pedophile and don't bother fact-checking afterward. They've also been raised Republican and think that voting Republican is voting for freedom.

Basically the equation for them is: The Apprentice=Great Businessman=Vote Trump for $$$.

And then there's the "I hate PC" crowd which indeed stems from "Why can't I say things I used to say without being called out on it?!?" which indeed stems from racism.

And then there's the "I hate PC" crowd which indeed stems from "Why can't I say things I used to say without being called out on it?!?" which indeed stems from racism.

The great irony is that many of these same "anti-PC" people flip their shit when you don't mince words on calling out their racism, and tell it like it is.

Ryuuroden

Hopefully it'll either get better when we redistric.

The sad thing is now you cannot assume 2020 will be any better because in the states with extreme republican redistricting from 2010 you are now going to have a much much harder time in 2020 even if you turn out all your dem voters because now it is set up for the republicans to keep a majority even when they have bad years. Most likely in 2020 the republicans will keep their state majorities even with a democratic landslide in the presidential elections due to how well the new districts were made and you wont be able to change them enough in 10 years time so in 2020 they will just redistrict it again to keep the republicans with more power. Basically its very much likely that without some sort of constitutional amendment or the supreme court stepping in somehow, what your are looking at now is a probable multiple generational hold on those states by republicans long after they go blue permanently. That is how important 2010 was and that is how big a massive fuckup it was by the democrats. The republicans announced they were going to take control this way like 6 months before that election but the democratic leadership totally ignored it. The guy who engineered it all actually brags about the fact that he said what the republican plan was to multiple newspapers and national tv and the dems didnt do a thing. They were completely ambushed with ads in the last weeks in key areas that totally flipped states legislatures and they could of prevented it.

Clinton was a name people spat when I was a kid, not something they said. In 2000, when Bush won, teenage kids my age literally linked hands and danced around the flagpole at school, celebrating "their" victory, looking for all the world to me like some kind of jingoistic cult. In 2008, when Obama won, my dad cried and turned to my mom and said, "My children are going to be slaves." The delusion is so real. Been on top so long, a large number of us have justified it by convincing themselves that personal freedoms and opportunities are a zero sum game. And this was an educated, middle class neighborhood in a liberal state. None of this stuff was particularly out in the open for everyone to see, but it wasn't especially well hidden either. I can only imagine what households more rural than that are like. .

I wish I could have been there for that exact moment. I still might be laughing now.

ISOM

It's some real cognitive dissonance to say Hillary will lie to get what she wants but Trump doing it has been a-ok. And he's the far more dangerous candidate literally as well.

Monocle

Thank you Donald Trump.
I too feared for my social standing and, at certain moments, my life when I spoke the simple truth that some people are more equal than others, and certain groups (they know who they are) are freeloaders and parasites. Also: how about them queers?

Now thanks to Trump I can state all of my opinions about women, and black people, and Mexicans, and muslims, and bathroom users of a questionable nature. Before I even finish, dozens of heavily accented patriots with ratty tank tops draped over their swinging flesh will hoot and holler their agreement. This is the solidarity in shared values and plain speech that politics has been missing for so long. Now, finally, the voices of decency and reason will dominate no more. Hail Trump!

Monocle

Like this?

hqdefault.jpg
I don't know what your picture of a liberal marriage ceremony has to do with my righteous truth telling, but I can tell your heart was in the right place. Degeneracy is running rampant in our nation, and with every word Trump empowers people just like us to finally do something about it!

I don't know what your picture of a liberal marriage ceremony has to do with my righteous truth telling, but I can tell your heart was in the right place. Degeneracy is running rampant in our nation, and with every word Trump empowers people just like us to finally do something about it!

that was my little brother, he's a liberal and hakced my account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom