• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Trump Tanks" - HuffPost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Banned
How is Trump doing among white women?

a2efe70f_blazing-saddles-white-women.gif

Hopefully, much better than "white" in general.

48% isn't an exception, it's within the statistical margin of error away from a majority. And a lot of those voters aren't behind him because they think he's wonderful, it's because they believe things like abortion is murder, and not voting Republican is the greater evil no matter what.
Murder? This is a party that is staunchly pro-death penalty in a justice system replete with racial inequality, has started wars resulting in the needless deaths of over a million people and counting, is supportive of restricting gun legislation despite tens of thousands dying every year and props up the corrupt police force in America despite the actual murder of dozens of actual innocent human beings. Please, tell me more about how sacred life is for these people.

I'll give you that not all who vote GOP are racists. But all those who do are perfectly fine with its existence and that doesn't make them any better. And the 48% who vote Democratic or otherwise? I wouldn't be so quick to praise that group either.

As a whole, White America is pretty bigoted. The first step to addressing this unpleasant truth is acknowledging it, not desperately trying to excuse it out of existence because it's uncomfortable to think about.

Ryuuroden

Yeah. "It's just the old people!" is a myth. Even in light of Trump's demographic support, some people in this thread are having a very difficult time accepting an unpleasant truth: The majority of white America has been racist since the country's founding and remains so today. It doesn't matter how uncomfortable this makes you feel if you're white and do not fall into that majority. No one's asking you to feel guilty, but face the truth and own it. The privilege to pretend this is not the reality of our country is one no minority has, I assure you.

Sadly I would be willing to bet the majority of the white population of the entire world is still very much racist. White privilege has gone on too long.

BigDug13

If white folk alone determined the President the US wouldn't have elected:

Carter, Clinton twice, Obama twice

Were it just up to the whiter voter the GOP would win every Presidential election

Democrats have lost the Presidential white vote 40+ years now.

Sounds like when the southern strategy came into play. Demonize minorities to improve your party in the minds of southern racists pissed off about equal rights.

That shit ain't working anymore though.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I think Hillary could have even more effective ads if at the end of them it showed a Google search bar or any search bar for that matter with some particular issue on Trump that the ad was about inserted, such as, "Google Trump Putin ties," so that people can know exactly what to type and have the very first hit inform them.

Similar to the trailer I saw for The Forest in theaters, where at the end it started to type out the movie's name in a search box on Google.

Murder? This is a party that is staunchly pro-death penalty in a justice system replete with racial inequality, has started wars resulting in the needless deaths of over a million people and counting, is supportive of restricting gun legislation despite tens of thousands dying every year and props up the corrupt police force in America despite the actual murder of dozens of actual innocent human beings. Please, tell me more about how sacred life is for these people.

I'll give you that not all who vote GOP are racists. But all those who do are perfectly fine with its existence and that doesn't make them any better. And the 48% who vote Democratic or otherwise? I wouldn't be so quick to praise that group either.

As a whole, White America is pretty bigoted. The first step to addressing this unpleasant truth is acknowledging it, not desperately trying to excuse it out of existence because it's uncomfortable to think about.

I...think you wildly misread my post. You should probably take all that up with them.

Except for the racism thing. I think passionate equality advocates too easily lose sight of the fact that if white Americans on the whole were actually as completely bigoted as they say, civil rights simply wouldn't have ever happened. In 1968 the US population was 203 million. 178 million of them were white - that's 88%. Civil rights couldn't have happened if enough whites didn't believe it was the right thing to do. Likewise, the reason Trump can't stand up, beat his chest and admit he's racist is because almost all whites realize it's wrong. Racism may still happen, but the ethical debate within white America was settled a long time ago.

None of that serves to deny the existence of pervasive racism in America, that remains obvious. Only as a rhetorical counterpoint - that saying "whites are X and need to face that fact" is just incorrect and unfair.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
That's not how it works though. The youth of today will mostly be conservatives in the future.

I wonder if when the inevitable GOP pivot comes they try to capture older minorities instead of hedging their bets on old AND young white voters.

They have strong ground on moral principles that could appeal to religious/traditionalist older minorities and immigrants, they just need to try to downplay the racist aspect of their party a bit to try to reel them in.

Thankfully, Trump has probably ensured no one will fall for that shit for the next cycle or two at least.

Boney

Banned
I'm glad the worst week has been his first official week with more disasters and stupidity to come. But even if he gets beaten to a pulp with a 20 point difference or more, the disaster brought by this maniac won't be over, so I guess humanity already lost this one.

Lkr

Yeah me too! #notallwhites
This
I'm actually proud of white people if Trump's lead is only 2% bc Romney killed Obama in the white vote.
I didn't support Romney but at least he wasn't a complete an utter idiot. It's funny that conservative pundits think a different candidate could have beat Obama, because no one in the GOP has the ability to take him and Uncle Joe on in a one on one debate, which was shown. Please proceed, governor.

Fat4all

Banned
This
I'm actually proud of white people if Trump's lead is only 2% bc Romney killed Obama in the white vote.
I didn't support Romney but at least he wasn't a complete an utter idiot. It's funny that conservative pundits think a different candidate could have beat Obama, because no one in the GOP has the ability to take him and Uncle Joe on in a one on one debate, which was shown. Please proceed, governor.

The lower we get it, the better.

I'd love to see Trump get the lowest white vote of any candidate.

I...think you wildly misread my post. You should probably take all that up with them.

Except for the racism thing. I think passionate equality advocates too easily lose sight of the fact that if white Americans on the whole were actually as completely bigoted as they say, civil rights simply wouldn't have ever happened. In 1968 the US population was 203 million. 178 million of them were white - that's 88%. Civil rights couldn't have happened if enough whites didn't believe it was the right thing to do. Likewise, the reason Trump can't stand up, beat his chest and admit he's racist is because almost all whites realize it's wrong. Racism may still happen, but the ethical debate within white America was settled a long time ago.

None of that serves to deny the existence of pervasive racism in America, that remains obvious. Only as a rhetorical counterpoint - that saying "whites are X and need to face that fact" is just incorrect and unfair.
I may have misread your post. It's so late it's early and I'm pretty tired. Let me simply respond to the bolded, as I believe this cuts to the heart of what you're trying to say.

You cite population numbers while giving far too much credit to that populace. In 1958, a Gallop poll revealed 95% of white Americans were opposed to miscegenation. And yet anti-miscegenation laws were deemed unconstitutional and struck down nationwide by the Supreme Court shortly thereafter in Loving v. Virginia. 9 men tasked with interpreting our constitution saw an end to one of the most racists aspects of American legislation and it happened despite nearly all of white America being opposed to it. Time and again, civil rights progress in the US has come from a coalition of minorities and a minority of White Americans.

The racism or acceptance of racism by the majority of White America since the founding of this country is, in my eyes, indisputable. You're welcome to point to the decade you think this stopped being true, but I think it's safe to say it wasn't in 1958 or even 1995 if miscegenation polls are any indicator. And here we are in 2016 with a GOP candidate running on a platform of extreme xenophobia, bigotry and racism and is being empowered exclusively by White America and not a single other demographic in the United States. White America isn't racist? The sky has been completely blackened out by smoke and you're sitting in the middle of the blaze insisting the forest isn't on fire.

Edit: Like I said, I'm tired. I just actually parsed through the wording of your post and it's a little more upsetting than the cursory reading I initially gave it revealed. Almost all white people know racism is wrong? The ethical debate was settled long ago? I'll have to give that a very hard "no." To say such nonsense in a thread about Donald Trump's consistent support from that demographic is maddening. It's like you're not even trying to pay attention here, but sticking your fingers in your ears.

That white voter statistic probably shouldn't surprise me, but it still does. What the fuck?
I understand that's still a huge letdown for Trump, he needs much more, but that shit is still depressing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I was explaining to a friend the other day that what's going on in the US election (and has been happening for years prior) is basically the same as what happened to Slytherin in Harry Potter. They started appealing to the far right to gain power, and all that did was push people further left away and attract even more batshit insane people to the party, just as Slytherin gained a reputation for being a house of racists and bigots, and so only racists and bigots ended up in the house.

The Republican party is basically becoming a stereotype at this point.

mclem

You know, I think Hillary could have even more effective ads if at the end of them it showed a Google search bar or any search bar for that matter with some particular issue on Trump that the ad was about inserted, such as, "Google Trump Putin ties," so that people can know exactly what to type and have the very first hit inform them.

Similar to the trailer I saw for The Forest in theaters, where at the end it started to type out the movie's name in a search box on Google.

Risky, given that it's possible to manipulate Google's search.

DedValve

Banned
Ok... yea, as a white person in the U.S I guess I have to finally admit it. Fuck White People in the U.S.

200_s.gif
my inner conflict. Halp.

Not all white people are bad. Just the ones that would support a corrupt and evil institution by voting Republican be it trump or any of the current nominees.

And I'll doubt the Republican party will revert from being evil anytime soon.

So thanks white folks voting literally anything not republican! Feel good that you aren't supporting the injustice league of supervillains!

And I'll continue to be a broken record and parrot that the republican party is an objectively, factually, 100% EVIL institution. Like I don't even think Lex Luthor or Thanos was this evil.

Sounds like when the southern strategy came into play. Demonize minorities to improve your party in the minds of southern racists pissed off about equal rights.

That shit ain't working anymore though.

I mean yes it is just not enough to prevent the minority fire wall that beats the GOP back.

Trump is still winning the white vote. Just not by enough to deflect his abysmal minority numbers.

Lkr

The lower we get it, the better.

I'd love to see Trump get the lowest white vote of any candidate.
That would be a good sign. All the GOP has left is the whacko factions. Religious extremists, xenophobes, racists, conspiracy theorist/Alex Jones people. Those are the only people I see voting for Trump in November unless Hillary literally goes out and murders someone in cold blood before the election.

Almost all?

Umm he's winning the white vote so try just about half or less.

Kthulhu

You've either been watching too much House of Cards, or not enough.

tumblr_inline_njuntwwF3L1t2kp90.gif

I was explaining to a friend the other day that what's going on in the US election (and has been happening for years prior) is basically the same as what happened to Slytherin in Harry Potter. They started appealing to the far right to gain power, and all that did was push people further left away and attract even more batshit insane people to the party, just as Slytherin gained a reputation for being a house of racists and bigots, and so only racists and bigots ended up in the house.

The Republican party is basically becoming a stereotype at this point.

We're all living in the Onion now.

Trump needs to father a black child out of wedlock.

I would love to see his supporters reaction to this.

This

You're proud that white people prefer Trump by 2%? Talk about success via low standards and expectations.

Kthulhu

You're proud that white people prefer Trump by 2%? Talk about success via low standards and expectations.

Anyone who expected anything better than this has never lived in the south.

I'm surprised it got this low. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come in future elections, but I'm not holding my breath.

No, but his casual racism is easier for white people to ignore.

Are you seriously calling Trump's racism casual? The only way it could be more overt is if he lynched a man.

You've either been watching too much House of Cards, or not enough.

tumblr_inline_njuntwwF3L1t2kp90.gif

We're all living in the Onion now.

I would love to see his supporters reaction to this.

McCain seems to have successfully weathered the storm, so I'm sure Trump has a chance also...

Okay, I couldn't resist LOL. Man, Rove and Bush were absolutely brutal.

DedValve

Banned
Why are there so many white people supporting Trump? They all cann't be racist shitbags, can they?

At the very best, Trump Supporters do not care about the plights of others, making them racist shitbags.

Diet racism is still just as dangerous and effective as racism under the right (eg ALL) circumstances.

At the very worst. They are worse than trump and would love to remove the 3 powers of government in order to make Trump a dictactor and eradicate everyone not white cis male. They deserve to be in N.Korea.

Either way, supporting trump or the republican party is evil.

Red

Are you seriously calling Trump's racism casual? The only way it could be more overt is if he lynched a man.
"Casual" in the sense of "unconcerned," not "irregular." He doesn't give it a second thought. It seems not to matter to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom