• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Trump Tanks" - HuffPost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Trump does not win, he has already won. He is far from a competent politician but the effect he has had on political discourse is irreversible. No longer are people with non-liberal viewpoints afraid to speak up, the most militant of liberals have shown their true colors as far as their thinly veiled contempt for differing opinions and democracy as a whole goes (even up to the point of committing violence), media biases have been exposed, both parties were caught with their pants down, and skepticism towards establishment politicans is at an all time high.

Thank you Donald Trump.

What the hell is this?

Since when have non liberals been afraid to speak? What world are you living in.

Fat4all

Banned
Even if Trump does not win, he has already won. He is far from a competent politician but the effect he has had on political discourse is irreversible. No longer are people with non-liberal viewpoints afraid to speak up, the most militant of liberals have shown their true colors as far as their thinly veiled contempt for differing opinions and democracy as a whole goes (even up to the point of committing violence), media biases have been exposed, both parties were caught with their pants down, and skepticism towards establishment politicans is at an all time high.

Thank you Donald Trump.

Finally, they can take the hoods off at the Klan rallies.

Steel

Banned

Thank you Donald Trump.

The persecution complex here is so unreal that I'm assuming you're trolling.

White America never ceases to make me depressed.
I'm in the acceptance stage of grief, myself. The behavior of the far left behind Bernie and how much ugliness Trump has exposed on the right has irrevocably reshaped my formerly naive outlook on race relations in the US.

So if it was just up to white people, Trump would be the next US president?
rXyMU6N.gif

Thank you Donald Trump.

Man, you should work for The Onion. This is great.

So if it was just up to white people, Trump would be the next US president?

Wow.

If white folk alone determined the President the US wouldn't have elected:

Carter, Clinton twice, Obama twice

Were it just up to the whiter voter the GOP would win every Presidential election

Democrats have lost the Presidential white vote 40+ years now.

Oriel

Thank you Donald Trump.

Yeah, because as we all know white racists have always been afraid to speak their minds prior to Trump.

Vagabundo

Thank you Donald Trump.

You do have a point, just not the one you think it is.

Things have changed. The fall out from Trump's campaign is the empowerment of the loony far right in the US.

The biggest loser for the Trump campaign will be the GOP. Interesting to see how they handle the fall out.

Wow. All white Americans makes you depressed?

Is that what they said?

Look above if only white people could vote Democrats would never win.

There is a literal fascist running as the GOP nominee and folks are celebrating because he's only currently winning the white vote by 2%.

A literal fascist white supremacist is still winning the white vote

Haunted

Things have changed. The fall out from Trump's campaign is the empowerment of the loony far right in the US.

The biggest loser for the Trump campaign will be the GOP. Interesting to see how they handle the fall out.
Empowered the loony far right just enough to split with the more regular right-wing GOP elements and make them both lose the election decisively.

The Kree

Banned

Most of the ones I know hate trump as well so that's not a fair statement.
Look at the numbers. White America is the reason he's staying as competitive as he is. It's not a good look. Your friends are exceptions.

watershed

Banned

Most of the ones I know hate trump as well so that's not a fair statement.
Just look at the facts. Look at the demographic breakdowns of support for presidential candidates and polcies. If only White Americans could vote, this country would still look a lot like it did when only White Americans could vote.

I think the roaches will scatter a bit if Trump loses hard but it's actually pretty amazing what he's done to the GOP. Young people hate Trump, nonwhite voters hate him, he's doing horrible with women, and he's managed to tie himself to almost all of the GOP because they were stupid enough to think he would change after they made him the nominee. The party as a whole basically endorsed him and his actions at that convention.

I don't know of any Republican who might be able to run in 4 years without the stink of Trump on them. Paul Ryan always gets brought up as the guy who could win the presidency for the GOP but I can already see the ads calling him a gutless coward for never standing up to Trump.

Look at the numbers. White America is the reason he's staying as competitive as he is. It's not a good look. Your friends are exceptions.

No, I think his friends are not the exception, unless he hangs out with elderly people. The (thin) silver lining is probably to look at young white people, not all white people.

Chichikov

As a white person out west, don't blame us. Blame southern and midwestern whites.

This isn’t our fault!
I don't know where out west you are, but in 2012 Romney won California white vote 53-45 and white men 56-41.

#YesMostWhites

Edit: in case you're wondering, Oregon and Washington white vote went to Obama. PNW stays winning.

watershed

Banned
No, I think his friends are not the exception, unless he hangs out with elderly people. The (thin) silver lining is probably to look at young white people, not all white people.
It depends on what issue. I think young white americans do support gun control more than older white americans (I think I read an article to that effect) but overall minorities support gun control by larger margins than white americans (again half remembering things I've read).

On the issue of race, young white americans are just about as racist as older white americans.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/americas-racism-problem-far-complicated-think/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is that what they said?

Look above if only white people could vote Democrats would never win.

There is a literal fascist running as the GOP nominee and folks are celebrating because he's only currently winning the white vote by 2%.

A literal fascist white supremacist is still winning the white vote

No wonder so many hate those minorities and want to build a wall to keep them out, the difference is stark.

TopDreg

Edit: in case you're wondering, Oregon and Washington white vote went to Obama. PNW stays winning.

The only race Oregon really has is white people. It's like this state's defining attribute after being 'weird'. Which, in this context, means we're especially winning!

mo60

Trump's in a slow death spiral right now. The dude has been pissing off every demographic he can besides white people in the last year or so. Also wow if he's only leading with white people by 2 points right now. If this pattern continues we could potentially be looking at a devastating loss for trump and the GOP in November.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, Trump is only winning WHITE PEOPLE by 2? Hoooooooly shit. That's gotta be a record, right?

You know, all these polls this past week showing Trump getting crushed are great and all, but I have to ask, who the hell are these people that only suddenly changed their minds on Trump? I mean, it's not like this guy only appeared in the public eye two weeks ago. Sure, he insulted a gold star family, but he also insulted a POW, and nobody gave a shit. Sure he seems itching to use nuclear weapons, but we already knew that months ago as he admitted to that himself (and was willing to target Europe, our ALLIES no less!), barely made a ripple.

Was it the thing with the baby? Was that the last straw for most of these prior Trump supporters?

Fat4all

Banned
You know, all these polls these past week showing Trump getting crushed are great and all, but I have to ask, who the hell are these people that only suddenly changed their minds on Trump?

The misinformed, finally catching wise to all of Trumps failings and transgressions.

From that point, everything else is just a web search away.

Yeah. "It's just the old people!" is a myth. Even in light of Trump's demographic support, some people in this thread are having a very difficult time accepting an unpleasant truth: The majority of white America has been racist since the country's founding and remains so today. It doesn't matter how uncomfortable this makes you feel if you're white and do not fall into that majority. No one's asking you to feel guilty, but face the truth and own it. The privilege to pretend this is not the reality of our country is one no minority has, I assure you.

Was it the thing with the baby? Was that the last straw for most of these prior Trump supporters?

The evidence is mounting that his attacks on the Khan family dealt a crippling blow to his chances. I think that's most of it, if we exclude the (seemingly large) convention bounce.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Well it was founded as a white racist utopia after all.

Ugh, I know I shouldn't conflate it but my best friend's wife is dying to move there and she has some beliefs that raises eyebrows and has given him a few of them over the years. I feel like when they say SoCal isn't the way it once was, I get a tinge of "Make America Great Again". I wouldn't be surprised if they're well versed in Oregon's history :(

EDIT: I should probably state that I've never been to Oregon and have only met people from Oregon. So far as I know, no one I met is a member of the KKK and some of them seem like nice people.

Thank you Donald Trump.

Conservatives have never been afraid to speak up, they wouldn't completely dominate 1 of the 3 branches of government and their own major news station if that were the case. Trump's change in discourse reflects a complete lack of civility and completely braindead parroting of vague campaign promises and outright lies about his opponents.

Bernie Sanders did far more to rattle the machine without being a complete buffoon in the process, and he has managed to affect actual platform changes onto the party's chosen candidate.

Anarky

Banned

Thank you Donald Trump.

I get the feeling you post on /r/TheDonald a lot. Also non-liberals no longer afraid to speak up!? They literally never shut the fuck up in the first place. Their all over the damn internet whining about "PC" and "cucks".

48% isn't an exception, it's within the statistical margin of error away from a majority. And a lot of those voters aren't behind him because they think he's wonderful, it's because they believe things like abortion is murder, and not voting Republican is the greater evil no matter what.

Slaythe

A majority of white Americans would vote for Donald Trump?

Holy fucking shit.

Well yeah. That includes the old fucks like Clint Eastwood.

Trump is not popular with the 18-34.

So basically, young adults and minorities are against him.

The rest will die within the next 20 years. You're safe America.

King_Moc

Banned
Well yeah. That includes the old fucks like Clint Eastwood.

Trump is not popular with the 18-34.

So basically, young adults and minorities are against him.

The rest will die within the next 20 years. You're safe America.

That's not how it works though. The youth of today will mostly be conservatives in the future.

Eidan

May sound dumb but how are these polls even conducted?
For phone surveys, the polling company first outlines and proofs the script and questions that their contracted calling company will perform. At the same time, pools of potential callers are being allocated to try to get representative responses based off of the demographics they want, whether it's a national poll or statewide poll. Once those two are conducted, the poll goes live with the calling company, going through its list of numbers for a set amount of days, usually three for a nationwide, but it can be longer. What numbers are they calling? Typically landline numbers, which obviously aren't as prevalent as they used to be, especially among younger voters. But most polling firms have made a lot of strives to reach cell phone only callers. That said, young respondents remain a challenge, and are usually heavily weighted.

After the results come in, the pollster will then weigh the data to better reflect the desired demographics, since when doing these things you rarely ever hit your exact desired percentages. A key to weighing though is that you not manipulate the data too much, otherwise you come up with unreliable results. So for example, if you wanted 12% of your respondents to be black, but you only successfully got 1%, you shouldn't then adjust that percentage all the way up to 12, but something lower and more reasonable.

Once the data is properly weighted, results are analyzed, discussed by campaigns, and for news outlet polls, released to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom