• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tells Theresa May he won't visit UK until she fixes his image problem there

danm999

London: US President Donald Trump told embattled British Prime Minister Theresa May he won't come to Britain for his controversial state visit until he is sure of getting a "better reception", it has been reported.

Mr Trump was said to have told Mrs May that he had not had "great coverage" in Britain and had urged her to "fix it for me", according to The Sun on Sunday.

It was originally reported last month that Mr Trump had informed Mrs May that he did not want to go ahead with the visit if there were likely to be large-scale protests.

The Sun on Sunday said it had now obtained a transcript of their telephone conversation in which Trump said: "I haven't had great coverage out there lately, Theresa."

Mrs May replied: "Well, you know what the British press are like."

He said: "I still want to come, but I'm in no rush. So, if you can fix it for me, it would make things a lot easier.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/donald-...ter-reception-in-britain-20170716-gxc3y3.html

Lots to unpack here.

Trump still doesn't seem to understand how the relationship between press and government works.

Trump is a fragile egomaniac who won't go somewhere unless it's to lavish superficial praise on him.

Trump doesn't understand if Theresa May had a magic button to make the UK press and public love someone she'd have pressed it for herself.

On the bright side, congrats UK, you might have spared yourself a visit from Trump if you keep it up.

Give me bad media coverage if old.

kami_sama

OMG lol
Does he think May has time to fix his image lol
She's also fucked on the eyes of most of the public lololol

theaface

I think what's important is that we get on with the job and getting on with the job is about delivering for the British people.

Mrs May replied: "Well, you know what the British press are like."

Mmmm, yes Theresa, we certainly do.

KNT-Zero

As long as people in the UK share the same language as the US and check the same types of media, he better not leave the US at all

Occam

Excellent. Kindly stay in some sordid little grief hole until your image problems everywhere are fixed, Donald.

weekev

Banned
I normally don't have a good word to say about our press but they have done us a solid there by reporting horrible nasty things about poor fragile Donny. Keep up the good work Daily Mail et al.

It's shocking to me, as a Canadian, where Canada is the US' single largest trading partner by a long shot, one of America's closest allies, a member of NATO, and historically America's "best friend", and he has yet to visit the country 6 months into his term.

Not that I want him here, he can go fuck himself, but obviously he's just afraid of people booing him, and he can't take criticism. I don't know how anybody can be delusional enough to think he exhibits any kind of qualities of leadership whatsoever, regardless of his political stance, to lead a country. A man who has never demonstrated his ability to lead, was elected to lead. Baffling.

dabig2

Brits, we made a mistake. Take us back. Let's never fight again.

Brits voted for Brexit, and unlike Trump, it was a majority vote in favor. So I doubt their capacity for common sense at the moment.

But if they can help improve our healthcare system, then I'll consider it.

Seriously, how did anyone ever vote for this man child?

Reminds me of that quote from the American President about people drinking sand. So damn true.

I normally don't have a good word to say about our press but they have done us a solid there by reporting horrible nasty things about poor fragile Donny. Keep up the good work Daily Mail et al.

Man, I would gladly take British right-wing trash like The Sun over Fox News/Breitbart any day of the week. At least their headlines are good for a chuckle every now and then.

JoeM86

291323.gif

Does he not consider that maybe there's a reason the UK has a bad view of him? They don't care about "crooked Hillary" or things like that, so there must be a reason why he has a poor perception over here.

holygeesus

Banned
Brits voted for Brexit, and unlike Trump, it was a majority vote in favor. So I doubt their capacity for common sense at the moment.

But if they can help improve our healthcare system, then I'll consider it.

The only defence I could possibly offer, for those who voted for Brexit, is they were sold it as something entirely different to what it actually is.

JoeM86

The only defence I could possibly offer, for those who voted for Brexit, is they were sold it as something entirely different to what it actually is.

This is a big thing that people forget.

For Brexit, there were many reasons people voted for it that weren't necessarily for it.

I know people who voted for Brexit because they don't like the Conservatives and wanted to stick it to them.
I know people who voted for Brexit because they believed the whole NHS pledge.

Conversely, I know people who voted for Brexit because they felt leaving the EU was the right choice, and that's fine. We're all entitled to our views on Europe.

Top Bottom