• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tells Theresa May he won't visit UK until she fixes his image problem there

Dude. You're running on platforms of isolationism and nationalism, the USA's allies have no reason to praise you.

Not to mention, Trump is rich as hell. Like, he makes the average Tory MP look poor. That's a hard sell even for the generally right-wing papers of the UK. As well, much of pre-established image here isn't that of 'successful businessman' as in the US, but 'that cunt with a golf course up in Scotland'. Plus it allows us a sense of superiority over the US, and that is something the British public will rarely pass up.

Zaph

Very weak of May to blame the press. Instead she could have suggested he'd implement some policies good for his own people or the world.
She so desperately wants to believe Trump has the ability or desire to rush through a favourable trade deal. Anything to pretend Brexit isn't an utter economic disaster.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/donald-...ter-reception-in-britain-20170716-gxc3y3.html

Lots to unpack here.

Trump still doesn't seem to understand how the relationship between press and government works.

Trump is a fragile egomaniac who won't go somewhere unless it's to lavish superficial praise on him.

Trump doesn't understand if Theresa May had a magic button to make the UK press and public love someone she'd have pressed it for herself.

On the bright side, congrats UK, you might have spared yourself a visit from Trump if you keep it up.

Give me bad media coverage if old.

If It's coming from the Scum on Sunday, it's probably actually fake sorry guys, now if the Guardian said it I'd actually could believe this.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I know people who voted for Brexit because they don't like the Conservatives and wanted to stick it to them.
I know people who voted for Brexit because they believed the whole NHS pledge.

No you don't. These people don't exist, or so I'm told by Brexit-backing friends of friends. Everyone who voted for Brexit did it in the full knowledge of the facts and with the express intention of a hard Brexit, despite any evidence to the contrary.

Besides, they were told the truth too. The NHS pledge was thoroughly discredited long before the referendum. The likely impact of Brexit was known. If people believed obvious lies, that's because they choose to.

Protome

This transcript seems to be from a month ago though, and since then there were stories saying Trump would visit but only with 24 hours notice so that protests couldn't form. Because he massively underestimates how much people here hate him and how quickly a protest can form.

If It's coming from the Scum on Sunday, it's probably actually fake sorry guys, now if the Guardian said it I'd actually could believe this.
I wouldn't be so sure, they have a strong history in obtaining things from people's phones...

roytheone

Does this mean he will also not visit the Netherlands? Since we were like second or third on the list of countries that hate Trump the most. That would be swell.

Oregano

I think what’s important is that we get on with the job and getting on with the job is about delivering for the British people.

Mmmm, yes Theresa, we certainly do.

Yeah that's a bit of an odd one. The UK press is full of right wing sycophants, the exact kind of people who should theoretically love Trump.

Zaph

No you don't. These people don't exist, or so I'm told by Brexit-backing friends of friends. Everyone who voted for Brexit did it in the full knowledge of the facts and with the express intention of a hard Brexit, despite any evidence to the contrary.

Besides, they were told the truth too. The NHS pledge was thoroughly discredited long before the referendum. The likely impact of Brexit was known. If people believed obvious lies, that's because they choose to.
My girlfriend's hairdresser doesn't have a mean bone in her body and voted Brexit because she believed the £350m NHS lie and thought "more people will get the care they need". This shit is fucking criminal.

Amalthea

Banned
Trump longs so much to be loved and admired without ever realizing that he'd first have to stop being a raging asshole. But why has the whole world to babysit him when he never will have this insight?

Earth doesn't exist as a safe space for him alone.

Yeah that's a bit of an odd one. The UK press is full of right wing sycophants, the exact kind of people who should theoretically love Trump.

Again, I think it's a combination of how rich he is, and his existing image here prior to the US election. He's beyond the threshold that allows folks like Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson to play the 'bloke you could meet down at the pub' card, and no-one cares for his supposed business stature here, in contrast to him harassing old people to get away from his golf course.

Keasar

So we know how to keep him out of Europe generally? Wonderful! Now to make sure that here in Sweden he knows that he will be recepted as a complete and utter jävla skitstövel som luktar värre än senapsgas och som jag inte ens skulle vilja torka mitt arsle med för hur satans korkad han är det egoistiska lilla ruttna aset.

Amalthea

Banned
The American right-wing is so far gone it's not comparable anymore. In most other countries the right-win politicans and voters would at least love to continue living on this planet instead of utterly destroying it just to "show it" to those "silly libruls".

Maledict

No, even the Daily Mail struggles to find anyone willing to write positive press about him. He is loathed over here by the right and the left. We haven't yet sunk to the absurd idiocy of the American right wing.

Oregano

Again, I think it's a combination of how rich he is, and his existing image here prior to the US election. He's beyond the threshold that allows folks like Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson to play the 'bloke you could meet down at the pub' card, and no-one cares for his supposed business stature here, in contrast to him harassing old people to get away from his golf course.

The American right-wing is so far gone it's not comparable anymore. In most other countries the right-win politicans and voters would at least love to continue living on this planet instead of utterly destroying it just to "show it" to those "silly libruls".

No, even the Daily Mail struggles to find anyone willing to write positive press about him. He is loathed over here by the right and the left. We haven't yet sunk to the absurd idiocy of the American right wing.

That's kind of the point I was making. The press is right wing so you can't dismiss any criticism of Trump with "You know how the press are", they should like him. The fact that they don't is a reflection of what a shit person he is.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dear Mr President,

This is a message from the Government of the Dark Side of the Moon.

We have some great image makers here. The best image makers. It's true. Please, do come visit us. We also provide complimentary one-way travel services to our beautiful homeland. You will love it here, we promise, we're nothing like the pesky Brits.

Cordially,
friendly, inviting cardboard-stand full-size figure in Mare Imbrium (Sea of Showers)

Wvrs

Yeah, sorry, but not giving Britons the benefit of the doubt here. People there were motivated by racism and fear of "the other", just like most Americans the last election. Immigrant invasion from Africa and the Middle East, European nationals and poor people taking everything from the NHS and leaving white people with nothing, aforementioned people taking all the jobs, etc. There was a heavy trend towards nationalism. Same garbage, different country.

That's not true at all in my experience, and if you actually knew people in the north/the working class countrywide, and knew a bit about British history, rather than just listening to the liberal elites in the City demonising us, you'd think differently.

Sure I've met a few people who voted for Brexit because of immigration. But many just feel completely abandoned and saw it as an excuse to lash out. I'm sick of seeing arrogant condescension around here, the board has a serious diversity issue when it comes to social status, which is just as bad as lack of diversity in race, religion or sexuality. It seems classism is one of the few forms of prejudice that is still socially acceptable.

Protome

Trump is a right tosser.

I want the British public to egg him if he comes.

Condoms/balloons filled with paint are more our thing, but eggs are okay too.

That's not true at all in my experience, and if you actually knew people in the north/the working class countrywide, and knew a bit about British history, rather than just listening to the liberal elites in the City demonising us, you'd think differently.

Sure I've met a few people who voted for Brexit because of immigration. But many just feel completely abandoned and saw it as an excuse to lash out. I'm sick of seeing arrogant condescension around here, the board has a serious diversity issue when it comes to social status, which is just as bad as lack of diversity in race, religion or sexuality. It seems classism is one of the few forms of prejudice that is still socially acceptable.

Grow up and stop making assumptions about everyone's class background just because their views don't line up with yours.

Maledict

Oh fuck off with your ridiculous anecdotes and smugness.

We know that immigration was the primary factor in the leave vote. That's not us being smug, it's what leave voters themselves said. We also know that it was the areas of the country with the highest levels of immigration that vote to stay - the areas voting to leave tended to have very low levels of immigration. Fear of the unknown and the other is what drove people.

Finally, I'm from a working class northern family. I know damn well why my relatives voted to leave. Let's examine some if their statements shall we?

"There are too many damn pa**s" here running shops and they need to leave"
"We can't finally bring back gollywogs now the eu rules are gone"
"We can stop this political correctness shit and go after those rapist muslims"

No-one here has an issue about class. We have an issue about toxic racist stupidity, of which leave voters seem to have ample amounts.

Mivey

He could come dressed up as a Mexican wrestler, with an orange mask preferably. You could call him "El muro".

Wvrs

Oh fuck off with your ridiculous anecdotes and smugness.

We know that immigration was the primary factor in the leave vote. That's not us being smug, it's what leave voters themselves said. We also know that it was the areas of the country with the highest levels of immigration that vote to stay - the areas voting to leave tended to have very low levels of immigration. Fear of the unknown and the other is what drove people.

Finally, I'm from a working class northern family. I know damn well why my relatives voted to leave. Let's examine some if their statements shall we?

"There are too many damn pa**s" here running shops and they need to leave"
"We can't finally bring back gollywogs now the eu rules are gone"
"We can stop this political correctness shit and go after those rapist muslims"

No-one here has an issue about class. We have an issue about toxic racist stupidity, of which leave voters seem to have ample amounts.

Well I completely disagree and you can fuck off right back, I think for you to argue that immigration was in isolation as a causal factor is to miss the forest for the trees. Brexit was more than a single issue vote.

Na.

I may live in London now, but I grew up in the north from an immigrant family. I lived in council houses till I was 10 and went to plenty of shitty schools. Immigration and fear of the other was a major factor in people's voting - it's an ugly side of Northern England that's always existed but people have chosen to ignore.

Rodelero

This argument is so bizarre.

To be clear, you want to stand up for the "working class", and so state that, in the most important vote this country has held in recent history, they decided to vote the way they did not because of their feelings regarding the European Union, but because they wanted to lash out at their sense of being abandoned. You make it sound like the working class are idiots who lack any real agency. "They're not racist. They simply lashed out at the European Union and caused complete chaos for the entire country, particularly immigrants, because they were angry at Westminster!"

As for 'classism' being socially acceptable, that is undeniably true, though it very clearly goes both ways. A great proportion of people in this country publically revile the rich and the upper classes. As for this board having a diversity issue when it comes to social status? Bullshit. This board may be very left wing but the notion that it's some kind of class bubble is absolutely hilarious.

Top Bottom