• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tells Theresa May he won't visit UK until she fixes his image problem there

avaya

I actually wanted him to come because the protests would have been amazing. Him coming to London would of been like him wanting to tour the streets of San Francisco.

Well I completely disagree and you can fuck off right back, I think for you to argue that immigration was in isolation as a causal factor is to miss the forest for the trees. Brexit was more than a single issue vote.

Oh right. It is us the liberal "city elites" who do not see the forest for the trees.

Leave voters primary concern is immigration, for you to claim otherwise needs some sort of proof. There is an endless amount of data to backup the claim that the Leave vote wasn't some multifaceted complex web of issues, it was a simple vote about immigration for these people. If you were to break it down about 30-35% of that vote is probably 100% racist and the rest are a soft 15% who were won over the by the "arguments" that the "country is full up" or some such nonsense.

I mean, say we take your point of view at face value, what you are admitting is these people lashed out (and no doubt a lot of people would have done, they were part of the 15% mentioned earlier) to fuck the entire country over and themselves the hardest. Are we supposed to applaud these people? Is it something we should respect?

If Brexit is happening, I hope you can afford private healthcare.

andthebeatgoeson

She's gonna need a shovel. And his wig.

giphy.gif

TrueBlue

I find that most votes - be it general elections or referendums - are multi-issue votes.

That doesn't stop people from basing their vote on a single issue - be it immigration, the NHS or anything else. Hell, there's a fair few who don't even vote on an issue, and rather do it on a partisan "Fuck the Tories/Labour" basis.

With that in mind, I think anecdotes regarding one side of the vote or another are generally useless.

That's not true at all in my experience, and if you actually knew people in the north/the working class countrywide, and knew a bit about British history, rather than just listening to the liberal elites in the City demonising us, you'd think differently.

Sure I've met a few people who voted for Brexit because of immigration. But many just feel completely abandoned and saw it as an excuse to lash out. I'm sick of seeing arrogant condescension around here, the board has a serious diversity issue when it comes to social status, which is just as bad as lack of diversity in race, religion or sexuality. It seems classism is one of the few forms of prejudice that is still socially acceptable.

Bring from Lancashire, and from an immigrant family, race absolutely played a major part in brexit. Mainly aimed at polish and Eastern European but also Muslim or anyone brown. I got into wrote a few arguments with people about it they didn't want to listen. The whole NHS thing played a very minor role and that's why no one was bothered when it turned out to be a lie.

Qasiel

Speaking as someone from the UK, I'm alright with this.

Trump is an international joke and I can't see that going away all because our PM tries to make him look better.

SKINNER!

Banned
boo-hoo. President fanta snowflake won't visit the UK because nobody likes him there and he wants to get someone else to fix his problem. Aww dear :( What a shame.

Of course a massive tit like him could never entertain the notion that his "image priblem" is down to his actions and words, not just an issue of PR.

YourMaster

She so desperately wants to believe Trump has the ability or desire to rush through a favourable trade deal. Anything to pretend Brexit isn't an utter economic disaster.

Than even that would be better. 'Lets make a good trade deal. That will help you grow in popularity here.'

Maledict

Well I completely disagree and you can fuck off right back, I think for you to argue that immigration was in isolation as a causal factor is to miss the forest for the trees. Brexit was more than a single issue vote.

You can disagree all you want but we have these things called *data* and *evidence* which shows that immigration was overwhelmingly the reason people voted to leave.

And again, it was the people in the areas with low immigration who voted to leave.

Stop trying to defend the indefensible. We have objective evidence to say that immigration and fear of foreigners was the overwhelmingly reason people voted the way they did. Why would it be a surprise to you given the decades of torrid filth the Sun / Mail / Express have been pouring into households about the scary brown person and the job stealing / benefit scrounging Eastern European? (That rarest of things, Schrodingers immigrant, both capable of stealing your job and simultaneously claiming benefits).

Chris1

Lmao

Not sure how he expects may to fix his image when she can't even fix her own

What happened to him coming to the UK on short notice to avoid protests? Is that not happening now?

Turbo

Neo Member
This is a good thing, and since Theresa May is not capable of miracles, it will remain a good thing.

With that being said, I wonder if there are any ( if at all) fans of trump in Uk.

Jumeira

Banned
Building walls, xenophobic policies, climate change, disrespectful behaviour against your own independent institutions, mocking the disabled, abuse of power, providing security clearance to your vile family (giving them access to a world wide database of secrets), attacking our Mayor of London because his name is Khan fresh after terrorist attacks... all done by you Donald, and you have the nerve to tell others to fix your damaged reputation? Fuck off mate.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Building walls, xenophobic policies, climate change, disrespectful behaviour against your own independent institutions, mocking the disabled, abuse of power, providing security clearance to your vile family (giving them access to a world wide database of secrets), attacking our Mayor of London because his name is Khan fresh after terrorist attacks... all done by you Donald, and you have the nerve to tell others to fix your damaged reputation? Fuck off mate.
While all that may be true, if the press hadn't reported on it, no one would've known and his reputation would be the best.

Jackpot

Banned

Wrong.

Britons who voted for Brexit in last year's referendum did so largely because of prejudice against immigrants, while those who had got to know foreigners were more likely to vote remain, a newly published study suggests.

The study, conducted by Rose Meleady of England's University of East Anglia and published in the British Journal of Social Psychology Thursday, found that ”prejudice towards EU immigrants was a powerful predictor of support for Brexit [while] positive contact with immigrants had prejudice-reducing effects."

http://www.newsweek.com/brexit-eu-referendum-vote-prejudice-immigration-628353

Wave 7 of British Election Study Internet panel (conducted prior to the formal campaign period) lets us look into the reasons for people voting in the EU referendum in more detail.

These [word clouds] scale the size of the text according to how frequently a word was used.

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com...ow-to-vote-in-the-eu-referendum/#.WWtNUojyvmg

Your anecdotes and feelings mean nothing in the face of hard data. Why do you think so much of the Leave campaign focused on immigration?

^And that's from the official Vote Leave campaign, not the fringe Leave.EU one.

Audioboxer

The Sun is a garbage paper that prints nonsense, keep that in mind, but I can see this being true. Big Donald doesn't do well with public criticism. Just like May... Neither are fixing their public image problems in the UK by force.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This is a good thing, and since Theresa May is not capable of miracles, it will remain a good thing.

With that being said, I wonder if there are any ( if at all) fans of trump in Uk.

I've seen them on various Message Boards. "Why can't we be more like France and welcome Trump", etc, etc,

afroguy10

It was more than a single issue vote but to be fair there has been a few polls since the referendum that show that for most people it came down to immigration.

Even if it was a vote against EU immigration (where we'll now need to accept a lot more immigrants from non EU countries to make up the shortfall that are a lot more ethnically and culturally different to the French, Polish, German, Spanish people we accept into the country now). Taking off the shackles of what is looked at as a lumbering, overly bureaucratic institution (which we'll now need to trade with as an outsider). A vote for regaining our "Sovereignty" or even a mixture of all of these points then well done you (the people who voted Leave not you personally unless you voted Leave of course) fucked not just yourself but millions of other people out of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of jobs reliant on EU membership, economic security, the ability to shape and be a part of the biggest trading bloc in the world even if it is as a pain in their side, progressive workers, food and health rights and the opportunity to easily travel and emigrate to other EU countries.

a.wd

In the midst of all the shit we're going through in the UK, there are brief moments when I am amazingly proud of this little emerald Isle.

Let's get rid of the Tories and start towards getting the UK to be more like the country it could be.

Fuck trump

Spuck-uk

Banned
Man, I would gladly take British right-wing trash like The Sun over Fox News/Breitbart any day of the week. At least their headlines are good for a chuckle every now and then.

Reminder that the sun blamed the victims of a police fuckup for their own deaths at a football stadium, and invented stories about them stealing from corpses and pissing on police, only retracting the story a quarter of a century later.

Reminder that the Daily Mail literally supported the british fascist party who wanted to ally with Hitler.

Our tabloids were gutter trash before Breitbart was even an inkling.

Shit on London and then proceed to tell the UK's PM to fix his image problem? Sounds about right for a mentally deteriorating American "billionaire" that hasn't heard the words "no" or "you can't" in decades.

That's not true at all in my experience, and if you actually knew people in the north/the working class countrywide, and knew a bit about British history, rather than just listening to the liberal elites in the City demonising us, you'd think differently.

Sure I've met a few people who voted for Brexit because of immigration. But many just feel completely abandoned and saw it as an excuse to lash out. I'm sick of seeing arrogant condescension around here, the board has a serious diversity issue when it comes to social status, which is just as bad as lack of diversity in race, religion or sexuality. It seems classism is one of the few forms of prejudice that is still socially acceptable.

haha ok, and going along with xenophobia and scaremongering about impending Sharia law was what? A fortunate bonus?

Were there no protests when he visitied France or Poland?

There were speaking all foreign like so Trump didn't understand anything and Bannon told him they were saying boo-urns.

Top Bottom