• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Used Charity Funds to Settle Legal Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
come on folks we know how this works it's the bed of nails principle

he bombards us with so much shit that we can't tell where one scandal starts and another ends, so lets stop pretending he's gonna face any consequences. at least during the election

Protein

Banned
"Trump smears feces on his face"

Man it sucks we have such terrible candidates

"Trump yells every known racial slur onstage"

I really wish we had better options

"Trump repeatedly slams baby's head in a car door"

The two party system is so stupid

This pretty much sums up those fools perfectly.

Garlador

Legitimate question: Who is SUPPOSED to hold Donald Trump accountable? Who would be the individuals what would or could bring charges against him for committing charity fraud?

Because so many of us sit here going "something needs to be done" but I'm not even sure who's in charge of getting "things done". And thus Donald Trump gets away with things that would sink any other candidate and walk free from illegal activities that would put lesser individuals behind bars or stuck with hefty fines.

Clockwork5

Legitimately question: Who is SUPPOSED to hold Donald Trump accountable? Who would be the individuals what would or could bring charges against him for committing charity fraud?

Because so many of us sit here going "something needs to be done" but I'm not even sure who's in charge of getting "things done". And thus Donald Trump gets away with things that would sink any other candidate and walk free from illegal activities that would put lesser individuals behind bars or stuck with hefty fines.
The IRS.

I know hat this has been asked a thousand times over, but:
How is he still a nominee?

He has a constituency swayed strictly by his vagaries and condemnation of every collective "other" the straight white christian mind can conjure up. A sentiment he can only tap into due to Repubs priming and coddling those people with their continued bigoted rhetoric for decades. Plus a media that could embarrass him in enough ways to fill a novel but don't due to a more significant interest in covering a "tight, exciting race" to boost viewership.

He just keeps churning out new scandals to make us forget about the old ones. I've already forgotten half of the despicable shit he's said over the past year. There's only so much space in my brain for Trump's shit.

I've been thinking about this lately and as much as people thought the 24 hour news cycle would hurt Trump it has actually helped him. In two ways in fact.

The first of which is what you are referring to. In that there is always some new scandal or speech or whatever that it becomes hard to keep in mind all the things he has said and done. Digging up something he said a month ago feels like a year ago and irrelevant to many at this point.

Secondly, for some people they just don't even try to process all the things he has said and done. They have become fatigued by Trump news. They then view the latest controversy as noise or for his supporters the latest attempt to knock Trump down.

Bowdz

I look forward to the legal avalanche of shit heading Trump's way after he loses. Trump University trial, Trump Foundation investigation by NY AG, IRS audit (lol), and possible charges over this shit. Get fucked Trump.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The full article at WP is worth reading. He didn't just settle lawsuits with charity money, he bought portraits of himself with it:

And in 2014, Trump spent $10,000 of the foundation’s money for a portrait of himself bought at a charity fundraiser.

Or, rather, another portrait of himself.

Several years earlier, Trump had used $20,000 from the Trump Foundation to buy a different, six foot-tall portrait.

You cannot make this shit up. A true tinpot dictator caricature.

Oh and advertising for a Trump hotel (which he built over an historical building):

In another instance, from 2013, the Trump Foundation made a $5,000 donation to the D.C. Preservation League, according to the group and tax filings. That nonprofit’s support has been helpful for Trump as he has turned the historic Old Post Office Pavilion on Washington’s Pennsylvania Avenue NW into a luxury hotel.

The Trump Foundation’s donation to that group bought a “sponsorship,” which included advertising space in the programs for three big events that drew Washington’s real estate elite. The ads did not mention the foundation or anything related to charity. Instead, they promoted Trump’s hotels, with glamorous photos and a phone number to call to make a reservation.

“The foundation wrote a check that essentially bought advertising for Trump hotels?” asked John Edie, the longtime general counsel for the Council on Foundations, when a Post reporter described this arrangement. “That’s not charity.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...c88f9c-7d11-11e6-ac8e-cf8e0dd91dc7_story.html

thegoosen

Neo Member
It's incredible, that this guy can basically do whatever he wants, because there are a lot of people that are stupid enough to vote and support him regardless.

Garlador

It's incredible, that this guy can basically do whatever he wants, because there are a lot of people that are stupid enough to vote and support him regardless.

The real damning thing is that, for a self-professed "billionaire", he sure seems to like using the funds from his charity organization instead of his own pocket to buy stuff he wants.

Darkgran

This is disgusting.

I am so sick of the Hillary is a liar and Evil bull crap that goes around.

This guys is despicable. If you are voting for him, please don't.

dan2026

I think Trump could literally shoot a kid dead in broad daylight and people would shrug it off.

'Oh Trump he's such a wild card, just what we need.'

The polarization in this country has gotten so out of hand. His polling for trustworthiness is pathetically low as well, yet hes still somehow the lesser of two evils to many. Blows my damn mind.

Why would anyone donate money to a Trump run charity in the first place

Some of them were his friends/business partners, like Vince McMahon, who probably wouldn't give half a shit about his money being used to bail out Donald's stingy ass. But we don't point that out, because it might make people look like hypocrites for jumping on the (asinine) "Hillary met with donors!" argument last month. This fucking election... One candidate is repeatedly found to be breaking the law, and it's his opponent who gets investigated by the FBI and Congress and continually found not guilty of any wrongdoing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why would anyone donate money to a Trump run charity in the first place

You want favors from Trump and know its his preferred slush fund for tax evasion purposes.

Piecake

The polarization in this country has gotten so out of hand. His polling for trustworthiness is pathetically low as well, yet hes still somehow the lesser of two evils to many. Blows my damn mind.

Conservative media has created a safe space for conservatives where they can express their wackjob conspiracy theories and untruths without fear of reprisal. This allows conservatives to have their views confirmed by supposed 'credible' news sources.

While there was conservative media in the past, it was only until the 90s where conservatives created a whole ecosystem resulting in an echo chamber where conservatives could spend all their time, ignore the evil MSM, and feed the beast and have that amplified.

It was in the 90's where you started to see this polarization to really start to take place. I think another major factor was Gingrich and Frank Lutz's strategy to try to de-legitimize the democratic party. Democrats simply did not have views that Republicans disagreed with, they were evil traitors.

The orange bigoted bastard continues to be a bastard. Also that example of how most assholes keep saying both sides are the same is so true. But I digress from my point, which is...Fuck Trump and his supporters. You guys getting mad out there because I said this, I got a few words for ya:

WELL THATS TOO DAMN BAD, ISNT IT?

No wonder he doesn't want to release his taxes...

If this is all going down under an entity with legally required transparency, I can only imagine what manner of tangled web his personal finances are like.

Also, $30k for two self-portraits. lol.

Eidan

"Trump smears feces on his face"

Man it sucks we have such terrible candidates

"Trump yells every known racial slur onstage"

I really wish we had better options

"Trump repeatedly slams baby's head in a car door"

The two party system is so stupid
This is the most perfect, succinct summary voter apathy this election.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/trump-charity-donations/

trumpcharity1.jpg

WOW

Haha. So naive.

You keep posting bullshit like this, and it's getting tiring. It will be covered, like how everything with Trump gets covered. Now if you want to criticize the amount of time it will get coverage, sure, but this constant peddling of yours that Trump never gets covered is so bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom