• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Raonak

Banned
I have a 10Mbit connection at home, and this demo is downloading at about 150 kb/s. ಠ_ಠ

I'll never understand how some of you people manage fast download speeds on PSN. Yeah, I use wireless for my PS3's connection, but all of my other wireless devices (laptops/phones) can download at speeds up to 5 mb/s easy. Whenever I need to download anything on my PS3 (e.g. updates, demos, and PSN games), I'm lucky if I get 200 kb/s.

Would switching to a wired connection for my PS3 really make that much of a difference? I don't see how wireless would have an effect on download speeds.

I have wireless too, but my ps3 downloads stuff at 1mbs+ (literally, megabytes increase per second)

which is crazy fast for NZ. since my laptop usually downloads at 150kbs-500kbs.
probably good servers?

Zoibie

So, tried online. Got worked, as expected, although I did get a couple of kills which I'm fairly proud of. Was having a lot of fun until the game locked up and I had restart my PS3.

pahamrick

As someone who played countless hours of TM2 and TM:B with my best friend, I love this demo. Sad I won't be able to hit up the game day 1, but will definitely be grabbing it ASAP.

Props to everyone who busted their butt on it.

Sophia

Oh my god this is amazing. Went 2nd in my first game online and tied for 1st in my second game.

Seems there's songs from previous installments too. I heard Rob Zombie's Dragula in there.

lol the title screen changes to show whatever vehicle you last used.

Jtrizzy

I have a 10Mbit connection at home, and this demo is downloading at about 150 kb/s. ಠ_ಠ

I'll never understand how some of you people manage fast download speeds on PSN. Yeah, I use wireless for my PS3's connection, but all of my other wireless devices (laptops/phones) can download at speeds up to 5 mb/s easy. Whenever I need to download anything on my PS3 (e.g. updates, demos, and PSN games), I'm lucky if I get 200 kb/s.

Would switching to a wired connection for my PS3 really make that much of a difference? I don't see how wireless would have an effect on download speeds.

I do ICS, using my pc's wireless antenna and run a cord from that to the PS3. You should be getting way faster speeds. The PS3 antenna is really shitty distance wise in my experience, but your case sounds extreme.

ElRenoRaven

Ok now firm thoughts after some online time.

Without a doubt if you were a fan of past Twisted Metal's you will love the game. No doubt.

Controls are spot on. You have several styles you can pick too. The gameplay is fast and hectic as all hell. I felt health really didn't hurt it either cause you could die quickly. Getting into the health semi can be tough when getting nailed a lot. You can obviously tell the difference between the vehicles. The bigger ones are of course slower to pick up speed and to turn. I was presently surprised by Talon. It was fun to play with. Don't think it will be my cup of tea though. I could without a doubt though see a good Talon player being nasty to deal with. Oh and yes you can dodge things. I simple quick quick turn at the last second and it will go by you.

The cars did seem to have some heft to them. They didn't feel like paper thin cars. That's very good. The online interface seems simple and straight forward. The amount of time they give you to pick your first car was a bit short. However you can pick other cars between deaths.

The online plays a lot like the single player. It runs damn smooth when you get into a game. At least it did for me. Couldn't tell if voice chat was great cause nobody was talking. I can see myself though playing this a ton.

Jac_Solar

Hm, I searched for Twisted Metal, but can't find the new demo. I live in Norway, though, so maybe it's not out in Europe yet?

Sophia

The online plays a lot like the single player. It runs damn smooth when you get into a game. At least it did for me. Couldn't tell if voice chat was great cause nobody was talking. I can see myself though playing this a ton.

Voice chat seemed fine in the first game I was playing in. Also, you get more time to pick your car joining a fresh game.

I'm just here for the impressions, already got my preorder paid in full so my first time playing will be Feb 14th...all by myself :(

ElRenoRaven

Voice chat seemed fine in the first game I was playing in. Also, you get more time to pick your car joining a fresh game.

Yea. I could tell someone had a mic but I don't think they were talking. That's the one sad thing about PSN. Without a mic included in every PS3 purchase you end up with a lot of people who don't have mics.

evolution

This game is so fast, I'm slowing getting the hang of it. Training mode helped a lot

Edit: and doll face is creepy as hell on the title screen lol

ElRenoRaven

This game is so fast, I'm slowing getting the hang of it. Training mode helped a lot

Yup that's the best way to learn. Even I had to play several games before I got the hang of it again. I went from not being able to beat 1 to finishing them all off after about 6 or 7 games.

Just remember to use your abilities. Those can mean life or death. Also remember quick turn is your friend. Once you remember all that it gets easier.

Ardenyal

Is anyone else having issues with free look?

With free look 1 I can't control the view at all, with free look 2 i can control the camera only vertically... Can't look back either.

Changing control scheme might have messed it up :/

Filth

matchmaking error
matchmaking error
matchmaking error
matchmaking error
matchmaking error
get into my first game
picks car
game loading
black screen for the past 3 minutes. i have no idea whats going on i cant even get out of the game lol. :(

GQman2121

Banned
I'm leaving the office now, but I have god damn dinner reservations.

If only I could tell my PS3 to download and install this demo from my phone while I'm out. That's not possible yet, is it?

XxCGSxX

Played the training and hoped right into the online mode, first impression:
Match Making Errors!!!!!! Yay? Haven't had any problems with my internet connection on any ps3 games or 360 recently. Hope it's fixed because if it's not :'(

ScOULaris

The wireless is atrocious on PS3. My PS3 sits like 5 feet from my router and I get about 5x the speed when I am wired.

It's nuts but it's the truth.

Holy shit-balls! I've been such a fool for all these years! I just switched my PS3 over to a wired connection, and now I'm getting 2 mb/sec download speeds! The demo is gonna be finished dl'ing in a matter of minutes now.

MercuryLS

Banned
OMG I forgot how much I loved TM, the controls are perfect, the visuals are so clean and the framerate is a rock solid 60fs. I'm in love all over again :D

To the people that are new to TM, the game might seem like a clusterfuck of stupid at first. But really really try to get used to the controls (even the shit that you won't think you'll use like Jump). The controls are the reason why TM games are so damn good, there's so much depth there. It's like a fighting game but with cars.

Top Bottom