• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

KageMaru

Ok now firm thoughts after some online time.

Without a doubt if you were a fan of past Twisted Metal's you will love the game. No doubt.

Controls are spot on. You have several styles you can pick too. The gameplay is fast and hectic as all hell. I felt health really didn't hurt it either cause you could die quickly. Getting into the health semi can be tough when getting nailed a lot. You can obviously tell the difference between the vehicles. The bigger ones are of course slower to pick up speed and to turn. I was presently surprised by Talon. It was fun to play with. Don't think it will be my cup of tea though. I could without a doubt though see a good Talon player being nasty to deal with. Oh and yes you can dodge things. I simple quick quick turn at the last second and it will go by you.

The cars did seem to have some heft to them. They didn't feel like paper thin cars. That's very good. The online interface seems simple and straight forward. The amount of time they give you to pick your first car was a bit short. However you can pick other cars between deaths.

The online plays a lot like the single player. It runs damn smooth when you get into a game. At least it did for me. Couldn't tell if voice chat was great cause nobody was talking. I can see myself though playing this a ton.

Now these are the impressions I like to see, thank you sir.

On my way home now, hopefully the demo doesn't take forever to download.

BHK3

Banned
Fuck these AI, seriously.

This. Playing as reaper is suicide since it's an instant 4 on one 10 seconds into the match and there's nothing you can do about it. I really don't remember the AI being this hard in previous TM games, they gang up on you and don't touch each other at all. I remember them at least shooting at each other back in TM 2-4 and black.

Drencrom

Holy crap is it awesome, even though I get owned by the bots :lol
Really like the handling of the vehicle and how frickin' smooth the game runs.
Jaffe must be proud!

ElRenoRaven

Don't worry about the AI. As I posted above David has said that in Retail it won't be this brutal on the same setting the demo's at.

gibration

I'm getting nothing but matchmaking errors but the single-player portion is still awesome. I'm sold on that alone. The AI isn't that hard either. Learn the controls and the weapon/health placements on the map and you'll be dominating in no time.

Drencrom

Don't worry about the AI. As I posted above David has said that in Retail it won't be this brutal on the same setting the demo's at.

Not a smart decision to have such tough AI in a demo. Wouldn't be surprised if some people are discouraged off the game because off that.

BHK3

Banned
Every time you exit to the main menu, the character on screen changes to the last faction and vehicle you were. Incredibly nice touch.

Mikey Jr.

This. Playing as reaper is suicide since it's an instant 4 on one 10 seconds into the match and there's nothing you can do about it. I really don't remember the AI being this hard in previous TM games, they gang up on you and don't touch each other at all. I remember them at least shooting at each other back in TM 2-4 and black.

Yeah, as soon as they see you, they ignore everyone else and gang up on you.

Why put such a hard offline component in a demo? You want people to feel good playing, not frustrated.

Also, not everyone reads Jaffe tweets, no way they would know that what they are playing is apparently the Nightmare difficulty.

dreamfall

GAH- so excited! Checking GAF, my car died in a parking lot. Got my brother to jump the car, raced back and now downloading. Shitty day turning to greatness because of Jaffe's awesomeness!

Shadybiz

That's good to know, thank you.

Other than that, this game is looking and feeling great. Haven't been able to get online, but I was able to at least experiment with some cars. I think I like Outlaw the most so far, though I did the best with Talon.

As long as the online is solid, I will definitely be getting this day one. Damn this brings back fond memories. Mountain Dew, TM2, and immature jokes until sunrise back when I was 16 or so.

ScOULaris

Anyone else getting Matchmaking Errors every time they try to play online? I haven't been able to get into a single game yet.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Game is great and reminds me of the PS1/2 days. Took me a while to get familiar with the controls,map, and weapon/health pick ups. Definitely picking this up when it drops.

Sophia

The real trick to the single player is to make good use of sharp turning, good use of your freeze missles, and killing the driver for a health recovery when you beat an opponent. It's not too hard if you take those into account. Still probably too hard for a demo tho.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, as soon as they see you, they ignore everyone else and gang up on you.

Why put such a hard offline component in a demo? You want people to feel good playing, not frustrated.

Also, not everyone reads Jaffe tweets, no way they would know that what they are playing is apparently the Nightmare difficulty.

I actually didn't find it that bad. But I do agree. Probably having it set harder for the demo was a bad idea.

Anyone else getting Matchmaking Errors every time they try to play online? I haven't been able to get into a single game yet.

Yup. The online is having issues right now. Seems that they may not have been prepared for the huge amount of people interested in the game.

I couldn't connect to any online games, is anyone else having that problem?

The SP challenge mode is great though, took about 5 or 6 retrys before I destroyed all 6 AI, in something like 12 minutes.

Dibbz

Oh yeah just got my first kill, then two more :D

6798297237_42b555585f_z.jpg

botty

Banned
Ok, the AI is demonic... Tried to use Crimson Fury, but it doesn't have enough armor to survive a long match. I won by camping on top of a building with a health thingy. The spin thing is fun.

BHK3

Banned
Ok, the AI is demonic... Tried to use Crimson Fury, but it doesn't have enough armor to survive a long match. I won by camping on top of a building with a health thingy. The spin thing is fun.

You need to drive around the map building up your inventory then try to hit and run them or trap one and unload everything. I just wished the AI would at least shoot each other, some of them just sit in random parts of the map doing nothing then go full turbo with their specials when you get near them.

It might be difficult to get online, but it runs extremely smooth once you're into a game. They made the right decision to prioritize framerate over fancy visuals.

i'm liking the mostly positive impressions! but goddamnit i promised myself i would wait until release... hmmhmm... i don't know if i can resist trying it out...

also, it's really 60fps? damn. i hope that's right, i love me some 60fps.

Mindman

Holy shit-balls! I've been such a fool for all these years! I just switched my PS3 over to a wired connection, and now I'm getting 2 mb/sec download speeds! The demo is gonna be finished dl'ing in a matter of minutes now.

LOL yep. Wireless on PS3 sucks hard.

Jumped in for two rounds, got 1st place each time. Yep, still got it.

So good. Can't wait for the 14th.

Disappointed that I can't try out Roadkill in the demo, though. :(

Raziel

oh it was.

potentially disastrous slip-up for a demo though, to be harder than the final game. all its going to do is turn away some. if anything, a demo should be on the easier side IMO.

ElRenoRaven

i'm liking the mostly positive impressions! but goddamnit i promised myself i would wait until release... hmmhmm... i don't know if i can resist trying it out...

No doubt about it. The game is damn smooth. As mentioned once you get into a room you can get a round or two in before it errors and it's just crystal smooth the entire time. It really floors me to see it this smooth. It's not only the framerate it's the lack of lag. I haven't seen one person jumping all over the place yet.

Deadstar

Great to see these impressions! Looks like I will be enjoying this one, I'm a huge fan of black. I think I speak for everyone when I say:

Do it baby, Do it baby
Burn like an animal

Sophia

Yup. It is. The title screen is so awesome to look at it because it shows a close up of your character and vehicle in 60 FPS :D

Kinda crazy to think we're not even a month into 2012 and we already have a contender for Game of the Year.

Naite

Never played TM games that much in the past. Went straight to challenge mode and got wrecked while adjusting to the controls. Think I went with racer controls in the end.

Tried out Nuke mode online immediately after. Loading time felt extremely long. Had much better success attacking things there. Sadly I was only one on my team who seemed to know how to play this game mode and was the only one trying to launch the enemy leader or save our own. Was still good chaotic fun.

RedSwirl

Never played Twisted Metal before. What am I to expect here? These games don't run at 60fps do they (that seems like something I'd really like to have in a game like this)?

Sophia

I recommend doing the tutorial then trying online deathmatch first. Save Nuke mode and the single player challenge for later. Most people online suck horribly and it's a pretty good way to get started.

Never played Twisted Metal before? What am I to expect here? These games don't run at 60fps do they (that seems like something I'd really like to have in a game like this)?

It's 60 FPS always. It's a really frantic paced car combat game. Demo's a bit on the hard side for single player, but once you get the hang of it, tis amazing.

Ploid 3.0

It feels like they're all ganging up on you.

This is the one thing I hated about the TM black ai, it was in Calling All Cars too. The AI seemed to be on team and beat you down. Like in CAC if the AI had the robber the other AI would act as if they were trying to prevent you from hitting that AI. If you get it, they all seemed to work together. It's annoying and highly frustrating.

Haven't downloaded this demo yet, but this is one thing I didn't want in the new TM.

Top Bottom