• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch announces 24/7 Food channel with Julia Child Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Julia Child is a reach for this. Should have marathoned the Japanese Iron Chef if they wanted to get me to tune in.

Deft Beck

Julia Child is a reach for this. Should have marathoned the Japanese Iron Chef if they wanted to get me to tune in.

Then they would have had to clear appearance rights with all of the celebrity guests that show had over the course of its run.

This is an easy way to get people interested in watching cooking online in an innovative way.

Sarobi

Banned
I like how everyone in the chat says GG after the episodes end lol.

I'm okay with Twitch having more to it than just gaming, but only as long as it doesn't overshadow the content that the site was designed for.. which is gaming.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Child is boring
20348607_images400908_yancancookvn1.jpg

Yan Can Cook would have much better fit Twitch chat's 'sensibilities'

bengraven

I like how everyone in the chat says GG after the episodes end lol.

I'm okay with Twitch having more to it than just gaming, but only as long as it doesn't overshadow the content that the site was designed for.. which is gaming.

They did this with Bob Ross, too. It was pretty entertaining.

I don't know how accurate Julia and Julia was, but if the ending was accurate, I would imagine Julia would be horrified at the comments in Twitch chat if she thought the blogger Julia was mocking her.

Blizzard

Banned
I laughed until I cried when she started grinding the meat and chat was freaking out about the appearance and the sound. I had to leave the room because my stomach hurt and I couldn't stop laughing.

And meat stuffed with breadcrumb-milk meat, yikes.

Blizzard

Banned
It's perfectly ghastly, since it's raw wine.

...so it's interesting to taste it anyway!

*edit*

"If we don't have sweet thoughts can we substitute the lobster feelings from earlier"

GavinGT

Banned
Now she's just mixing butter with other butter. She has like 4 pans of butter in different states and she just keeps piling more butter into them.

I enjoy tripe, my grandmother used to make it really well, particularly tripe soups. It's part of all European cuisine really, national dishes for some. Made the right way it's great.

Elitist1945

I don't want to sound insensitive or whatever, but what kind of accent does she have, if any? Her speech seems kinda odd (not sure what word to use here, not like talking a different way is bad).

FyreWulff

I don't want to sound insensitive or whatever, but what kind of accent does she have, if any? Her speech seems kinda odd (not sure what word to use here, not like talking a different way is bad).

New England accent with British elements, called "transalantic". Popular amongst the more wealthy of that area around that time.

the tv show Frasier is a good example of a bunch of people having a version of it

I enjoy tripe, my grandmother used to make it really well, particularly tripe soups. It's part of all European cuisine really, national dishes for some. Made the right way it's great.

Honestly, I come from a country that eats shit arguably worse than tripe or animal feet. I just find it hilarious when the chat freaks out.

This lady's got her own personal collection of animal feet.

When she started making the pig foot dance, I lost it.

This marathon didn't seem to get as much traction as the Bob Ross one, but I've really enjoyed it myself. There's more than enough Julia Child material to warrant the Bob Ross one-season-a-week treatment if everyone's game.

This marathon didn't seem to get as much traction as the Bob Ross one, but I've really enjoyed it myself. There's more than enough Julia Child material to warrant the Bob Ross one-season-a-week treatment if everyone's game.

Yeah, it was like 4k-3k viewers. Bob Ross had like 10 times that.

Probably didn't help that half of the show is in black and white.

I think it's just going to be 24/7 cooking shows from now on, on this channel.

And everyone is twitch chat is spamming, "Free Julia" and "Bring on the roasted potatoes" and saying that Julia would have made whatever Jacques is making better than he could.

I'm into that. I don't have cable anymore so this would be a great replacement for the Food Network. Better, even! The modern-era Food Network is kind of a dumpster fire.

EDIT: Twitch chat was super down on Pepin until he made a rose out of butter, and now they're all his biggest fan. Amazing.

Regiruler

She's a bit harder to listen to, but she's generally more interesting to watch because she's more likely to trigger chat.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't know how accurate Julia and Julia was, but if the ending was accurate, I would imagine Julia would be horrified at the comments in Twitch chat if she thought the blogger Julia was mocking her.
Julia Child didn't think that that woman was mocking her, she thought she was disrespectful. What they cut out of the movie was her comparing making eggs to handjobs and watersports, cooking chicken to BDSM, and making up sex fantasies about Julia Child. All without irony.

If the Twitch crowd is having fun with the actual cooking it's probably not something she would have thought much about. If they're talking about her pissing on and fucking the food she's cooking, then I'm sure she would have had something to say about that.

So they're showing Jacques Pepin now, with Jacques and Julia later at 3PM, and they just showed him and his daughter made some kind of chocolate Christmas yule log.

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom