• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swift_Star

Banned
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Sybrix

Sounds like you've never worked in sales. Every company I've worked at, at some point the sales directors and VPs will have behind closed door meetings with account managers and you'll see some people teared up or red face coming out of their office. Or in big sales department only meetings the high level managers yell at the team for missing numbers.

Seen it many times.

The key difference is Musk does it on social media in 2 line tweets which is nothing compared to internal meetings. Regardless, the company keeps going.

People always have the choice to bail ship telling the boss to fuck off on the way out. It solves nothing really. If anything it might hurt you because if that boss has friends at other places, you'll have a harder time finding a job. Maybe for tech people it doesn't mater since tech people are in such high demand who cares, but for most other people burning brudges is not the way to go.

My friends call me sometimes saying if I know this person who works (or worked) at the same company as me. If I know them, I give them the low down. Good worker, bad workers, good person, big time asshole. People talk.

When I got booted from my company way back and had to train my own replacement, I kept it cool and accepted the terms of termination. I could had called my boss and his boss (the VP) a bunch of cocksucking traitors having me train my own replacement. I didnt. I used my boss as a reference for my next job and got it. That job he helped me get was my most important in my career as it springboarded me to where I am now at an even better job and company. Now if I called him an asshole on my last day, does anyone really think he'd help me out?

Musk is a very influential guy. Love him or hate him, he's the type of guy you'd probably rather have in your corner helping you out.
Fuck no have I worked in sales.

You saying that though had just reminded me, a family member of mine was in sales and yeah, i can recall various stories he’s told me that sound like the going’s on at Twitter now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Musk fired half the people in a company known for social media, stupidity, bots, and the company never really made profits in its 15 years. And Musk himself is a troller on social media too. The company has 7500 people working there at its peak. Not 75000.

Yet how many of you had the same concern when the past decade where tons of honest hard working energy sector workers (esp coal) got the boot? Some of the companies even went bankrupt. I bet just about none of you cared. And there's a shit load more than 3750 fired.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Oh it's a disaster. This literally will not work for the EU. He is required by law there to remove hate speech and other hateful content. He can't just wave his hand and apply blanket approval to everything everyone says. It doesn't work that way. It also won't bring back any advertisers. He basically just said hate speech is fine on Twitter because it won't be boosted. That's not going to fly with them. In fact it will push them FURTHER away.

He is either completely ignorant of the way the world works and thinks he can just smarm/sleeze his way through it all or he really is just a complete moron like people keep saying.

Tesla operates in China and Europe so he's aware of regional laws. I'd imagine in China specifically operations would have to adhere very obtuse and strict rules since they're very protectionist. He said this couple months ago so it's consistent, they'll probably end up having to be in compliance regionally based on regional restriction/laws.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Tesla operates in China and Europe so he's aware of regional laws. I'd imagine in China specifically operations would have to adhere very obtuse and strict rules since they're very protectionist. He said this couple months ago so it's consistent, they'll probably end up having to be in compliance regionally based on regional restriction/laws.

So MORE content moderation with less staff? After publicly stating it will be allowed?

Bold strategy. Let's see how well that works out.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Musk fired half the people in a company known for social media, stupidity, bots, and the company never really made profits in its 15 years. And Musk himself is a troller on social media too. The company has 7500 people working there at its peak. Not 75000.

Yet how many of you had the same concern when the past decade where tons of honest hard working energy sector workers (esp coal) got the boot? Some of the companies even went bankrupt. I bet just about none of you cared. And there's a shit load more than 3750 fired.

I used to live in coal country. You are wrong. But I was always less concerned about the companies than the systemic exploitation of those communities that has gone on for generations and left those communities bankrupt on so many levels.

So yeah - I give a fuck about the people but not about the barons.

But again, way off topic.

Nobody_Important

Reminder that they had a little less than 3k employees before Elon's ridiculous email.

Popcorn.gif

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

What about ice harvesting workers? At its peak 90.000 americans worked there.

Thaedolus

Wow that’s a wild comparison.

Billbofet

So odd to me that everyone is acting like we're all on the brink of losing some amazing, crucial, life-sustaining service.
It's unfortunate for those whose employment is affected, but outside of that, it's hard to give a shit.
People acting like he's taking Christmas and oxygen away.

Nobody_Important

Nobody_Important

So odd to me that everyone is acting like we're all on the brink of losing some amazing, crucial, life-sustaining service.
It's unfortunate for those whose employment is affected, but outside of that, it's hard to give a shit.
People acting like he's taking Christmas and oxygen away.
I'm here for the show.

The level of entertainment this shitshow is providing is astounding lol

All good. I wasn't throwing shade. Just a joking observation.
Oh I know. I was just explaining why I am more active than usual today lol

Last edited:

Melon Husk

I used to do this in Capitalism Plus. At the start of the game, you get $1 million cash and $5 million worth of shares, 50 % ownership of the company. What you can do at the start is run your company like shit and scare away all the other investors, crashing the stock price. You buy the remaining shares for pennies on the dollar and gain 100% ownership. Then you start running the business properly.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm here for the show.

The level of entertainment this shitshow is providing is astounding lol

Oh I know. I was just explaining why I am more active than usual today lol

I'm here for the show and to see if an open source project, under its own name, gains traction as a consumer product.

Mastodon already powers GAB and Truth Social, time to shine on its own.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
So MORE content moderation with less staff? After publicly stating it will be allowed?

Bold strategy. Let's see how well that works out.
i'm unsure of the internals but at facebook and other platforms they do content moderation through third party vendor contractors, i'd imagine they'd do the same its probably alot menial manual tagging and review. so i doubt they'd be counted as part of the staff numbers at twitter.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I used to do this in Capitalism Plus. At the start of the game, you get $1 million cash and $5 million worth of shares, 50 % ownership of the company. What you can do at the start is run your company like shit and scare away all the other investors, crashing the stock price. You buy the remaining shares for pennies on the dollar and gain 100% ownership. Then you start running the business properly.

Didn't he already buy all of it?

I'm not "sucking up to them". I'm stating facts.

Acknowledging reality is not the same as saying it's perfect.

Nobody is contesting that advertisers have an unhealthy amount of sway over these social media platforms. There's a difference between acknowledging reality and agreeing with it.
Obviously it's not a good thing, so we should support those who try to make a change.

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to this becoming a reality:

Corporatism and profiteering taking control over public discourse and opinion making is the worst that can happen to any society. Say what you want about Elon, at least he's acutely aware of this problem and trying to change it, which is already more constructive than the myriad of "lulz Musk is sTuPiD" hot-takes in this thread.

Your whole counter argument hinges on the fact that it is like this, but you just admitted that it should not stay like that. Which was exactly my argument in the first place.

Last edited:
Well I’m of the opinion that most people should cut down their social media intake by at least 90% and go outside and hug a tree instead.

Sitting in a concrete box fixated on our digital device is not the intended way forward for humanity my bros ✌️

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How do you do that IRL without getting fired first?

Nobody_Important

He already owns all of it.

There is no 8D chess here. He bought a business and is currently starting various fires throughout the building.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
To be fair, other departments can be shit too.

I do finance. My job relies on good data. If IT/tech dept can t load the data correctly my job gets affected too. I can say the same... how hard can it be to load and churn out data?

The worst part is the dept doesn't even check their work to see if it's correct. Most of the time they only correct it if one of us notices junk data like something is wrong or some reason it's spitting out all zeros. So the dept goes on auto-pilot until someone brings it up.

And then when we tell them there's a problem.... "Can you guys submit a ticket?". Ok fine, here's your IT ticket. Then sometimes they'll respond back saying they fixed it and close the ticket. I check and it's still wrong. So again it shows they didn't even check or do the work.

Then when I say it's still wrong, they'll come back and say can you reissue a new ticket because the old one is closed.

Hey, no skin off my back really. If someone says what's up I just say the system is wrong and I'm waiting for IT to fix it again, taking forever and having me redo a ticket. If it gets bad, we just copy their department director on he email trail.
Definitely agree that all departments have their limitations and problems. However, Sales attracts a certain type of scumlord. My least favorite type of person.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nobody likes loud bosses. But tech workers seem the most emotional telling the world what's happening with internal memos or their home life crisis stuff brought to the office. Or telling the world (like all the Activision legal suit stuff) on Reddit and Twitter.

Painting an entire industry full of people as "emotional" because of a few examples is just ludicrous. Especially trying to relate in gaming, which is mostly not actually coders.. they call everyone and anyone a "game developer" unlike the rest of the world who only considers coders devs. Most of the outcry is not from software devs (who are actually paid well, bonused well), it's form the QA testers (basically not even a tech job when it comes to gaming) or creatives.

When it comes to leaking stuff.. all it takes is one person to do that, and it happens in any industry facing any sort of controversy.

In the end it's really more like "software devs have a lot of options, even at entry level, at places that treat them kindly".. so they can quite non-emotionally make decisions like "hey my boss is a flaming asshole I'ma go somewhere else" which causes companies to go "hey holy shit, maybe we need to make our bosses less flaming assholes, or our devs will go someplace else."

And I'm not saying all sales people are "expendable", but on average that's how that industry treats people.. you are funneled up through a meat grinder BECAUSE so many people w/o a good career path otherwise will jump into sales.. and there are really good sales people working in shit places waiting behind the good sales people at the good places.

That's not how the software developer industry has worked, and it still isn't really working that way despite "big tech layoffs" which I've witnessed entire "management levels" (get rid of VPs, keep only SVPs) being erased at companies who let go 0 actual coders.

It is how QA testing works.. hence why QA testers are in turn treated like shit, and are more likely to have complaints... but any dingbat can QA test.. just like any dingbat w/ a certain personality type can excel at sales.. which I don't mean as a general insult, as plenty of intelligent sales people exist, but that's WHY it's an industry with far more treating of employees as "expendable" than the software development industry. There's also just the fact a good chunk of "sales" requires you be kind of a dick.. and again, don't mean offense to every individual sales person.. but sales has a lot of lying assholes, because being a lying asshole might get you a promotion as all anyone cares about is the bottom line. Just generally a lot of type-A personality types in sales, and the bosses follow suit.

But nobody should be treated like shit, and ideally nobody would be treated as expendable.. but if you want to talk cold/hard realities.. that's why software development is different..

And the thing is, "bosses are assholes, that's life" is not a requirement of a society...the vast majority of people are not bosses.. the idea people should just take shit and have no say in it is a foreign concept in a lot of the world where they figured out "hey, we are the majority."

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
He basically just said hate speech is fine on Twitter because it won't be boosted.
Come on, don't twist it. He did not say that. What he is mostly talking about is republicans, those guys were banned left and right for peanuts under the previous regime. Racism and the like will still be banned.

And there has always been hate speech on Twitter. It just needs to be against the "right people". Just read some of the stuff people posted when the queen died, some people went very far. There was extreme stuff about royals and the british that absolutely can be classified as hate speech, liked by hundreds of thousands, some of it was fucking trending.

Twitter is a complete sewer. I hope it goes under for good, it deserves to.

IntentionalPun

We already have an investigation of FTX ongoing and the US is considering extraditing SBF.

So no, not truth.. try again Elon.

As far as calling for the FTC to make sure Twitter is abiding by rules set in place to protect user data which might be hard to do considering they literally fired their team in charge of that? Oh no, what a terrible thing to do.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

We already have an investigation of FTX ongoing and the US is considering extraditing SBF.

As far as calling for the FTC to make sure Twitter is abiding by rules set in place to protect user data which might be hard to do considering they literally fired their team in charge of that? Oh no, what a terrible thing to do.
The person investigating received campaign donation from the FTX guy. So there is some conflict there.

babylon bee is back of the bird.

Reality is that “hate speech” is just words that personally trigger you. Easy to call things you disagree with “hate speech” and demonize/weaponize the term to silence dissenting opinions.
After reading this whole exchange, I just wanted to add my thoughts. Here we have the claim that the term hate speech is being used to silence opposing thought.

No, but I do question if you have had your head in the sand for the past decade. “Hate speech” has been made such a broad term to silence any dissenting opinion and is constantly weaponized to do just that. You called someone fat? That is hate speech. You dared suggest that People are born male and female? That is hate speech. You dared make a joke on national woman’s day? That is hate speech and you will lose your job.
Here we have a claim that what will be defined as hate speech is an ever-expanding list.

Actual hate speech, things Like racist terms - that I agree with should be banned. And are. These aren’t acceptable and never were on twitter. Claiming it is suddenly “OK” to say these things is ignorant. It isn’t, never was, and never will be. But that isn’t what people are crying about.
Here is an agreement that slurs, something almost everyone would agree is hate speech (or at least hateful speech), should not be allowed on twitter.

E0BmEOE.png

That's not gonna fly here, buddy.
And here we have a definition of hate speech that is vague ("a particular group"), outside of the groups it would "especially" apply to. But people have been banned from twitter for expressing opinions that do not relate to race, religion, or sexual orientation. This was the ever expanding list claim that no one seems to be addressing.

What does that mean? Do you have a counterpoint?
That expanding list was the counterpoint. Rather than debate that claim or otherwise discuss it, you've ignored it, which is why you (and others) were responded to with a picture of a bird with its head in the sand. Not exactly a debate tactic that I would recommend, as I'd much rather work towards a constructive conversation, which is why I'm explaining this. I think where the line is and who should decide where to put that line is always an interesting topic. Although in this topic, that discussion should probably be focused on how the issue specifically relates to Twitter.

As it all relates to Twitter, it will be interesting to see what the actual moderation looks like in the future, and how advertisers will respond in the long term. As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed yet, other than the three accounts that were just reinstated. Twitter, like the hate speech definition quoted above, has been very vague as to what exactly constitutes hate speech. I think more speech will be allowed under Musk, but I still have strong doubts that we'll see a large improvement to transparency when it comes to the decisions of what they end up censoring or burying with the algorithm.

Last edited:

Moneal

Did Senator Markey, you know the guy who threatened Elon, weigh in on ftx yet?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It is how QA testing works.. hence why QA testers are in turn treated like shit, and are more likely to have complaints... but any dingbat can QA test.

Not always... before transitioning to automation, I was qa testing at a company that had trouble finding testers, because a) we do the full cycle ourselves including deciding what gets tested and b) we have to do what would be best called graybox testing involving database manipulations.

I'll give you that it's not the usual situation, but sometimes titles can be deceiving.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Another Twitter competitor:

e: Koo seems broken af.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Not always... before transitioning to automation, I was qa testing at a company that had trouble finding testers, because a) we do the full cycle ourselves including deciding what gets tested and b) we have to do what would be best called graybox testing involving database manipulations.

I'll give you that it's not the usual situation, but sometimes titles can be deceiving.
Oh I meant in gaming.

I've seen what they do.. they play games, and fill out forms lol

And they are particularly expendable because you can legit get people to test games for free, and there's a million gamers who think it would be a fun job lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Titles are always deceiving. IMO, typically the smaller the company the more sketchy that person's role really is.

In giant companies, the org tree is pretty big and job titles are pretty easy to understand. Just knowing what someone's job title is without even looking at the department org charts you can already know how high they are.

One person I know changed jobs to be a VP. Left my company as a mid level employee at most and out of nowhere became VP(?). Turns out the company had 8 employees. One was some kind of assistant or secretary to support the team, one was the CEO. The other 6 were all called VPs.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Oh I meant in gaming.

I've seen what they do.. they play games, and fill out forms lol

And they are particularly expendable because you can legit get people to test games for free, and there's a million gamers who think it would be a fun job lol

Videogame QA is interesting because at some places they just do that, at other places if you don't know how to break games and fast you are not a viable candidate. The former get treated a little better.

But I see where you are coming from.

Last edited:

Tams

They wouldnt have been hired if they werent needed.
Why does a site as simple as Twitter need 7,500 employees?!

I can understand a few (2-3) thousand, but that's still a lot of people if you think about it.

For apps, you need, what? Perhaps a team of 50 to cover all platforms and have room for time-off, maternity leave etc. (and this is the US, so all that is greatly limited).

Server side likely needs quite a few more, but surely a few hundred at most.

R&D? Well, Twitter don't seem to do much, but you could waste 100 people on it.

Marketing? At most 50. Maybe 100 because of the global reach.

Moderation? Well, they don't seem to care that much, automate most of it, and likely outsource looking at the nasty stuff. So a management team of 10? If done in-house, ideally a 2-3 thousand.

The rest (HR, accounting, etc.) a few hundred?

And the videos of 'a day in the life' at Twitter videos show that some definitely weren't needed.

Last edited:

Tams

The media is controlled by the Left. I would be careful to take anything they say at face value. Certain narratives are being pushed that want people to be seen through certain lenses and they will find (or have) individuals that will sell/confirm their narrative (i.e., confirmation bias) to the masses.
Lol, tell that to most people in the UK and they'd laugh in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom