• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pray that Elon knows what he's doing. As much as we like joke about this kind of stuff it would be really bad for any of the major social network websites to crash and burn.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Why does a site as simple as Twitter need 7,500 employees?!

I can understand a few (2-3) thousand, but that's still a lot of people if you think about it.

For apps, you need, what? Perhaps a team of 50 to cover all platforms and have room for time-off, maternity leave etc. (and this is the US, so all that is greatly limited).

Server side likely needs quite a few more, but surely a few hundred at most.

R&D? Well, Twitter don't seem to do much, but you could waste 100 people on it.

Marketing? At most 50. Maybe 100 because of the global reach.

Moderation? Well, they don't seem to care that much, automate most of it, and likely outsource looking at the nasty stuff. So a management team of 10? If done in-house, ideally a 2-3 thousand.

The rest (HR, accounting, etc.) a few hundred?

And the videos of 'a day in the life' at Twitter videos show that some definitely weren't needed.

I don't think any of the above is true. It may not have needed 7,500 - but I don't think anyone knows what the right number is trying to guess with tales from my ass either :D

Madonis

Cutting employees only makes sense when you objectively know they're no longer needed to keep the lights on.

Removing people that you actually still need to run the company and the service is sheer lunacy. Especially when you're doing all this in such a disorderly fashion and causing folks to leave.

Then again: Elon Musk, everyone. I can laugh at his antics, but man...what a load of crap.

Last edited:

jdtemp

Banned
Cutting employees only makes sense when you objectively know they're no longer needed to keep the lights on.

Removing people that you actually still need to run the company and the service is sheer lunacy. Especially when you're doing all this in such a disorderly fashion and causing folks to leave.

Then again: Elon Musk, everyone. I can laugh at his antics, but man...what a load of crap.
Well Twitter seems to be working fine.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why does a site as simple as Twitter need 7,500 employees?!

I can understand a few (2-3) thousand, but that's still a lot of people if you think about it.

For apps, you need, what? Perhaps a team of 50 to cover all platforms and have room for time-off, maternity leave etc. (and this is the US, so all that is greatly limited).

Server side likely needs quite a few more, but surely a few hundred at most.

R&D? Well, Twitter don't seem to do much, but you could waste 100 people on it.

Marketing? At most 50. Maybe 100 because of the global reach.

Moderation? Well, they don't seem to care that much, automate most of it, and likely outsource looking at the nasty stuff. So a management team of 10? If done in-house, ideally a 2-3 thousand.

The rest (HR, accounting, etc.) a few hundred?

And the videos of 'a day in the life' at Twitter videos show that some definitely weren't needed.
This is a pretty ridiculous post. We simply dont know why 7,500 were hired other than for the fact that they were needed. Ive been part of interview processes and we dont waste our precious time interviewing engineers who we dont need.

Madonis

Well Twitter seems to be working fine.

So far, but mostly out of inertia. It's not like the website is going to spontaneously burn up.

Anyway, Elon's still playing around with his new toy like a manbaby so I'll get some ironic enjoyment out of it at least.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
He is either attempting a very obvious distraction or he is intentionally trying to drive away advertisers at this point.

What a circus lol
The council of moderations must have come back a hung jury and now he’s putting it to the people.

The cynic in me believes his mind has already been made and this is just more theater. It’s like reality tv with audience participation. Incredible.

After reading this whole exchange, I just wanted to add my thoughts. Here we have the claim that the term hate speech is being used to silence opposing thought.

Here we have a claim that what will be defined as hate speech is an ever-expanding list.

Here is an agreement that slurs, something almost everyone would agree is hate speech (or at least hateful speech), should not be allowed on twitter.

And here we have a definition of hate speech that is vague ("a particular group"), outside of the groups it would "especially" apply to. But people have been banned from twitter for expressing opinions that do not relate to race, religion, or sexual orientation. This was the ever expanding list claim that no one seems to be addressing.

That expanding list was the counterpoint. Rather than debate that claim or otherwise discuss it, you've ignored it, which is why you (and others) were responded to with a picture of a bird with its head in the sand. Not exactly a debate tactic that I would recommend, as I'd much rather work towards a constructive conversation, which is why I'm explaining this. I think where the line is and who should decide where to put that line is always an interesting topic. Although in this topic, that discussion should probably be focused on how the issue specifically relates to Twitter.

As it all relates to Twitter, it will be interesting to see what the actual moderation looks like in the future, and how advertisers will respond in the long term. As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed yet, other than the three accounts that were just reinstated. Twitter, like the hate speech definition quoted above, has been very vague as to what exactly constitutes hate speech. I think more speech will be allowed under Musk, but I still have strong doubts that we'll see a large improvement to transparency when it comes to the decisions of what they end up censoring or burying with the algorithm.

I appreciate what you are trying to do and I do agree that we should have more constructive discussions. However there comes a point where you begin to notice patterns with particular members. A point where you quickly realize that any conversation is impossible as they refuse to engage or even humor your views. Hence the GIFs. No point in treating them as adults when they refuse to act as such.

Last edited:
I pray that Elon knows what he's doing. As much as we like joke about this kind of stuff it would be really bad for any of the major social network websites to crash and burn.
I want all social media to be banned, actually. They are cancerous to humanity and are causing an entire generation to become depressed and suicidal. If we could ban Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, and all future attempts that would be a huge benefit to human society today.

I want all social media to be banned, actually. They are cancerous to humanity and are causing an entire generation to become depressed and suicidal. If we could ban Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, and all future attempts that would be a huge benefit to human society today.
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Vestal

Gold Member
So, what are we rooting for? For Twitter to disappear or to get stronger?
I never got all the fuzz over what was happening at Twitter over the past few years(Outside the below, I hardly used it). My opinion on all of it is kind of mixed. But its hard to talk about that without getting into the politics of it. However, from a moral stand point? It is the same as with any other social media platform IMO. People forget that they are not just responding to the person, but sharing that response with everyone else in the world. Additionally, it pains me to see so many friendships or families ruined because of social media. Not just because of the thoughts they share, but by engaging in heated arguments over the platform.

What I got out of it and would want to continue?
A centralized location with bite sized headlines or thoughts for:
News sharing
Crafted political responses/reactions/messages
General Information Sharing

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So, what are we rooting for? For Twitter to disappear or to get stronger?
Stick around please. I dont know how serious those bankruptcy rumours were a week ago, but if Twitter does go belly up I hope it stays through a buy out or reorg. Keep it alive so everything remains.

The biggest laughs from media for me dont come from TV sitcoms or rewatching a comedy movies. It's social media. Real life TV for sports and mainstream boring news and weather updates. Social media for the chuckles. And even better since it's real life people making asses of themselves. No scripts or highly paid actors needed. You got a billionaire troller and manchildren on social media airing out dirty laundry from their lives and work for people to see.

It's literally like a documentary. But in real time and 24/7.

pramod

Banned
The best thing about this whole mess imho is that it has exposed every Silicon Valley ugly secret as truth.

The entitled overpaid tech workers who care more about politics and lattes than working.

The clueless executives who overhire and make the company full of useless bloat that mass firings are inevitable when things go bad.

The H1b visa workers who are pretty much slave labor who have no choice but to obey their slave masters.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The best thing about this whole mess imho is that it has exposed every Silicon Valley ugly secret as truth.

The entitled overpaid tech workers who care more about politics and lattes than working.

The clueless executives who overhire and make the company full of useless bloat that mass firings are inevitable when things go bad.

The H1b visa workers who are pretty much slave labor who have no choice but to obey their slave masters.
You're "entitled" if you don't want to work long hours in a toxic work environment?

What? lol

Nobody_Important

That's an entitled worker.

That has nothing to do with what I said though. Not every person at Twitter had days like that and people are not abandoning the sinking ship in the hundreds because they aren't having days like that.

They are leaving because they don't want to work long hours at a circus under someone like Musk. That does NOT make them entitled.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Went to go check out more content on this feed and Twitter isn’t loading. Did this shit just die?

Edit: nvm just stalled for two minutes.

Oddly, was not working for me for 10 or 15 minutes. Just went to a black page.

Edit: this morning, not now.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That's an entitled worker.

That has nothing to do with what I said though. Not every person at Twitter had days like that and people are not abandoning the sinking ship in the hundreds because they aren't having days like that.

They are leaving because they don't want to work long hours at a circus under someone like Musk. That does NOT make them entitled.

I'll never understand why some americans are obsessed with the idea that people who work for a living are supposed to live essentially enslaved to the masters who pay their wage.

The constant hammering against workers rights and living conditions in this thread make me sick, the incessable guffaw at workers that happened to land a job with nice quality of life losing that quality of life, the nagging at companies that treat well their workers.

Nobody_Important

I'll never understand why some americans are obsessed with the idea that people who work for a living are supposed to live essentially enslaved to the masters who pay their wage.

The constant hammering against workers rights and living conditions in this thread make me sick, the incessable guffaw at workers that happened to land a job with nice quality of life losing that quality of life, the nagging at companies that treat well their workers.
It's not just the ignorant assault on workers rights. It's the glorification of workers that purposely allow themselves to be mistreated. They are "hardcore" and "hard workers". They are "better" than those who want better for themselves and from their employers. When in reality they are just exploited and have deluded themselves into believing otherwise in order to cope with their circumstances or their jealousy of others who are in a better position.

It's ridiculous.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just went to Twitter home page. I dont have an account, so all it could do is show me pages of stuff "For You".

Zero politics on the pages. Lots of NCAA sports and World Cup which I dont care about. Also lots of cute animal tweets and people doing joking stuff. Although one of the trending things for Canada was #RIPTwitter. lol

Porcile

If I was at Twitter and I hated Elon Musk I would've stayed and just worked my legally contracted hours and nothing more just to piss the guy off and fuck him over even more. Worst he can do is fire you along with 6000 other people. Like you do have actual rights in this situation. I don't think they are voided by a stupid email even if it did come from da big boss. Weird.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's not just the ignorant assault on workers rights. It's the glorification of workers that purposely allow themselves to be mistreated. They are "hardcore" and "hard workers". They are "better" than those who want better for themselves and from their employers. When in reality they are just exploited and have deluded themselves into believing otherwise in order to cope with their circumstances or their jealousy of others who are in a better position.

It's ridiculous.
Mistreated, hard working and exploited are all subjective.

One person's hard work and OT is putting in good effort to do their role. To another, it's being ripped off, not paid for OT, or being needlessly bossed around.

I usually work 9-5 kinds of hours, but sometimes I work OT after dinner or weekends to finish something. I'm going to finish some stuff today (it's technically Saturday as I type) or Sunday. That's not being exploited. I can just coast and leave it for Monday or Tuesday if I really wanted to. But I want to finish it off as I got other things to do too. I want to get this off my plate fast. That's just me doing my job. Also, end of month and end of quarter are always more busy than middle of a month. Work tasks come in waves and it just piles up at certain times of the year. The company and business don't adjust work to every person's schedule to smooth things out. That's the nature of my role. And the nature of everyone's role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom