• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has just banned Milo Yiannopoulos permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinfamy

Mile is a complete dick, but that's practically his entire shtick.
But there's still thousands of pro-ISIS Twitter accounts spreading hatred and attracting youths.
Priorities.

Mesoian

No no no no no.

This is not how you handle people with horrible views. Pushing them away only validates their beliefs and solidifies their fan base further.

It absolutely 100% is.

Twitter isn't america. There's no freedom of speech there. It's a fucking corporate tool and the longer they take the lax position of "WELL I DON'T KNOW GUYS! WE JUST RUNS THE SERVERS, IT'S UP TO OTHER PEOPLE TO BEHAVE THEMSELVES", teh longer they passively allow people to continue harrassing others for literally no reason.

If anything, twitter needs to clamp down tighter on harrassment and hate speech.

marrec

Banned
I hope this is the start of something. Took way too fucking long and no, bigots don't fucking deserves voice. They're a bunch of sad, pathetic losers.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT

This is not a question of censorship or free speech or "giving into trolls".

This is a question of delegitimizing an entire movement based on the idea that you can constantly lie and make up shit about people in order to spread abuse and hate.

Fuck ANYONE who has ever participated in Milo's hate circles, I hope they're ALL banned from Twitter and anywhere else that hosts their bile.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Twitter should've been doing something for ages now, but it's nice to see them finally step up and do something. I'm hoping they're more aggressive about this in the future. Too many people get harassed on Twitter.

Vyse24

What is Matt Hardy saying? I'm quite confused.

For those who don't follow, lemme explain: Matt Hardy has developed a gimmick where he is "Broken", and recently went after his brother Jeff, who he started calling "Brother Nero" (Nero is Jeffs middle name). To settle the feud, Matt decided to hold something called the Final Deletion which, if you haven't seen, must be watched because OMG it is both the best and worst thing you'll ever see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvACWh8k7Io

Spoiler: Matt won, so "Brother Nero" is, uh, deleted.

So you push them into louder echo chambers?

Frankly, I can appreciate when someone with a racist or ignorant view is cast out, but removing them from the conversation only leads these people into more radical groups.

At least when they're on Twitter, they're able to see other people's opinions without the ideological perspective that these echo chamber groups force onto their underlings.

It's not about tolerating shitty people's views, it's about stopping the cycle of hate groups.

Yeah, sure. Let them create their own little pathetic echo chambers. When you let the filth spill out and pollute the mainstream that's how you get Trump.

But there's still thousands of pro-ISIS Twitter accounts spreading hatred and attracting youths.
Priorities.
I mean, he's probably done more harm as a single individual.

I disagree strongly with people who think this will only make things worse because of some echo chambers or whatever. It's not like r/politics was banned from Twitter.

Frankly, I can appreciate when someone with a racist or ignorant view is cast out, but removing them from the conversation only leads these people into more radical groups.

At least when they're on Twitter, they're able to see other people's opinions without the ideological perspective that these echo chamber groups force onto their underlings.

It's not about tolerating shitty people's views, it's about stopping the cycle of hate groups.
It is not our fucking responsibility to be these bastards' babysitters. Our communities don't exist just to absorb their hate. If they want to ruin their lives degrade their minds and debase their humanity spewing vitriol at each other we shouldn't have to deal with it. They are a cancer that we have for too long allowed to metastasize into the wider Internet. It is time to find the tumors and cut them out.

Boke1879

Nero doesn't give a shit about other's opinions. He should have never been allowed to use his influence to promote bullying. Now he got banned.

You force their asses to think twice before spewing hate by any means necessary.

GamerJM

Banned
Good. I hope he can reach a realization that he's been spreading hateful racist and misogynist garbage and do whatever he can do to try and undo the damage he's done.

AntChum

Too good for him, but it will have to do until we've perfected rocket technology; prick needs to be blasted into the Sun.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

And how's that working so far?

BiggNife

You have to look at the other side to this, though.

Milo is far more likely to get more followers to his cause through a huge, open platform like twitter than sites like Breitbart and 8chan. It's a much larger pool of people that he can spread his toxic opinions to. Banning him limits his reach.

Twitter banned him to repair their PR after the Jones thing blew up. They'll go back to not giving a fuck next week and we'll continue to get threads about Twitter abuse.

It's nice but I am not patting Twitter on the back. It was overdue and they had to be forced to do it.

User1608

Banned
ONE HUNDRED PERCENT

This is not a question of censorship or free speech or "giving into trolls".

This is a question of delegitimizing an entire movement based on the idea that you can constantly lie and make up shit about people in order to spread abuse and hate.

Fuck ANYONE who has ever participated in Milo's hate circles, I hope they're ALL banned from Twitter and anywhere else that hosts their bile.
Amen, and I'm sorry about the abuse you've endured.

Sou Da

Also I'm glad he's gone but let's not pretend this isn't the easiest thing in the world to spin. He can martyr up in a hot minute.

The Kree

Banned

This is not a group of people or a cause you wanna go to bat for on any level. Think it through.

Slayven

You act like these people are rational and willing to change.

Twitter banned him to repair their PR after the Jones thing blew up. They'll go back to not giving a fuck next week and we'll continue to get threads about Twitter abuse.

It's nice but I am not patting Twitter on the back. It was overdue and they had to be forced to do it.

Probably, but one can always hope :/

No no no no no.

This is not how you handle people with horrible views. Pushing them away only validates their beliefs and solidifies their fan base further.

I think someone with even a cursory knowledge of Milo would realize that it simply wasn't possible for him or his followers to be any more self-assured of their own righteousness than they already were, so as far as the problem goes, taking action on the basis of how it's likely to affect their thought processes or future actions is likely a lose-lose proposition. The purpose of banning him isn't to try to get him or his followers to alter their beliefs; it's to deprive him of a tool he was able to freely use with disturbing effectiveness to coordinate and execute his malicious campaigns. Without that tool and its massive userbase, doing what he was always intent on doing at that scale becomes much more difficult. Of course that feeds into his inflated persecution complex, but literally a day doesn't go by without something happening that does that anyway.

Really goes to show how little Twitter cares that it took this long. Do better.

Also I'm glad he's gone but let's not pretend this isn't the easiest thing in the world to spin. He can martyr up in a hot minute.

He'd do that no matter what. Nothing changes on that front. At least they got that piece of trash off their platform.

Media

At least maybe those who freak the fuck out on twitter over his banning will be easy to also track and ban? Maybe.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Yeah, but at least he's been cut off from a LOT of his audience.

He'd better hope they actively visit Breitbart or subscribe to his podcast... because one of his main channels is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom