• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has just banned Milo Yiannopoulos permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this has a domino affect and they trash lots of evil accounts.

But where will the troll herd migrate when this (hopefully) happens? That is the true question.

jmood88

No no no no no.

This is not how you handle people with horrible views. Pushing them away only validates their beliefs and solidifies their fan base further.
But somehow giving him a platform to become more and more popular, and thus have more and more people at his disposal to harass others, is a good way to handle things? He was given numerous warnings and never changed, so he had to go.

This is exactly what he wants.

All voices are necessary obviously. We can learn something from all of them.

Not following the new Ghostbusters or actors on social media. Sure it's a shit show.

Slayven

Yeah, but at least he's been cut off from a LOT of his audience.

He'd better hope they actively visit Breitbart or subscribe to his podcast... because one of his main channels is gone.

That is actually a good point, now people will have to put in more effort to follow him. That cuts off a lot of shitlords

Media

What a piece of shit. Hopefully those organizing gamergators are next.

They'd have to ban Adam Baldwin, and that's never going to happen.

Also, already a #FreeMilo thing going on on twitter. It's sad how quick they are to cry about bigotry when it's Milo.

jmood88

We learned he's a piece of shit who won't stop being a piece of shit and he faced the consequences for being such a big piece of shit.

marrec

Banned

:-/

What he wants is to be able to easily orchestrate attacks on women and (sometimes) men who are for progressive ideals. He wants to do this via lies and tabloid journalism. Now that's harder.

This isn't what he wants.

Besides, this is a public denouncement of him and his style of discourse. A delegitimization of everything he and his followers stand for.

Mully

It is not our fucking responsibility to be these bastards' babysitters. Our communities don't exist just to absorb their hate. If they want to ruin their lives degrade their minds and debase their humanity spewing vitriol at each other we shouldn't have to deal with it.

Don't communities work both ways? It should be our job to at least unantagonistically educate these people rather than cast them out wholeheartedly when their opinion is extremely ignorant.

I know Milos is a bit different given his history of doxxing, but his fans should not be banned (as some of you have wished).

A bit of a quick anecdote. A few years ago, there was that former LAPD officer who decided to go postal on his coworkers and then burned to death in a cabin in the mountains outside of LA after law enforcement "unintentionally," set the place ablaze. At the time, I was convinced justice had been served, because here was a guilty man, who died a quick death at the hands of the police.

I was ripped apart in the thread for posting about my extremely ignorant view of the justice system. I could and probably should have been banned, but instead a few posters went out of their way to explain why my belief that it was okay for police to kill a man without due process was shitty. Within a few pages I understood and apologized. Had I not been taught that, I likely would have been a Blue Lives Matter supporter today.

The world certainly does not work that way always, but I believe there should be more of an attempt to educate these people rather than cast them out to the cold with the rest of the ignorant people. There's more of a chance they'll reflect on their views in a crowd of educated people than in a mass of dullards.

Gattsu25

Banned
A few years too late.
No no no no no.

This is not how you handle people with horrible views. Pushing them away only validates their beliefs and solidifies their fan base further.

Bullshit. NeoGAF is as usable as it is because the mods actually enforce their Terms of Service.

Also, before people go down the silly rabbit hole:
Tn9ARMP.png

https://xkcd.com/1357/

Future

Nah Twitter had no responsibility to make it so easy for them to have their voice. They can voice all they want on the nearest competitor

Having a voice doesn't mean society cannot backlash against it

Good. Just smother his voice. It's not like Twitter is a public good--you can't argue that a company should allow you to have "free speech" on their platform.

He doesn't deserve reasonable discourse and should be discarded like the rest of Monday's morning trash.

Not following the new Ghostbusters or actors on social media. Sure it's a shit show.

What exactly is there to learn from a guy that used his account to set up harassment campaigns against people over & over again despite being warned multiple times to stop?

I used to believe that. But now I know better. Some people should not have a platform.

:-/

What he wants is to be able to easily orchestrate attacks on women and (sometimes) men who are for progressive ideals. He wants to do this via lies and tabloid journalism. Now that's harder.

This isn't what he wants.

Besides, this is a public denouncement of him and his style of discourse. A delegitimization of everything he and his followers stand for.

Have seen him asking if they'd ban him for being outspoken for days.

Enjoy his different perspective from the right, don't care about the gossip between celebrities but I'm sure none of it is very interesting or heartening.

Slayven

Don't communities work both ways? It should be our job to at least unantagonistically educate these people rather than cast them out wholeheartedly when their opinion is extremely ignorant.

I know Milos is a bit different given his history of doxxing, but his fans should not be banned (as some of you have wished).

A bit of a quick anecdote. A few years ago, there was that former LAPD officer who decided to go postal on his coworkers and then burned to death in a cabin in the mountains outside of LA after law enforcement "unintentionally," set the place ablaze. At the time, I was convinced justice had been served, because here was a guilty man, who died a quick death at the hands of the police.

I was ripped apart in the thread for posting about my extremely ignorant view of the justice system. I could and probably should have been banned, but instead a few posters went out of their way to explain why my belief that it was okay for police to kill a man was shitty. Within a few pages I understood and apologized. Had I not been taught that, I likely would have been a Blue Lives Matter supporter today.

The world certainly does not work that way always, but I believe there should be more of an attempt to educate these people rather than cast them out to the cold with the rest of the ignorant people. There's more of a chance they'll reflect on their views in a crowd of educated people than in a mass of dullards.
It's not twitter or the world problem to teach Milo to be a good person, his parents failed him on that.

And once again it is the oppressed job to tolerate the oppressor.

Sciz

Hah. Will wonders never cease. Dude's a disingenuous scumbag above and beyond the call of even the usual Breitbart writers.

One down, fucking many left to go, Twitter. Get hopping.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I was ripped apart in the thread for posting about my extremely ignorant view of the justice system. I could and probably should have been banned, but instead a few posters went out of their way to explain why my belief that it was okay for police to kill a man was shitty. Within a few pages I understood and apologized. Had I not been taught that, I likely would have been a Blue Lives Matter supporter today.

Twitter is a two way channel.

On the one hand you have some potential for gamergate-types to be educated on the errors of their ways, as you are putting forward.

On the other hand you have the ability for gators to link up with one another, and harass others.

To be honest, I think the latter is an order of magnitude more common than the former. For every person who gets their consciousness raised, there are 100,000 who make others' lives hell.

jmood88

It will never stop being funny to see conservatives of all people complain about a corporation choosing to suspend/ban someone for violating their terms of service.

antonz

A good step but it should not have taken a Celebrity to get him off the service. They didn't give a shit when he was doing the same stuff to normal people. Plenty of complaints and Twitter would just wastebin complaints.

Media

I was ripped apart in the thread for posting about my extremely ignorant view of the justice system. I could and probably should have been banned, but instead a few posters went out of their way to explain why my belief that it was okay for police to kill a man without due process was shitty. Within a few pages I understood and apologized. Had I not been taught that, I likely would have been a Blue Lives Matter supporter today.

Considering how long Milo and his followers have been doing this shit, and how often Milo himself has been warned by twitter to stop, educating him and his ilk isn't going to work. There's genuine cases of misinformation or ignorance, and then there's edge lords who just want to offend the most people possible.

I truly envy those with the misguided belief that having calm, rational and sensible sit down conversations with all these people spewing bigotry and hate and vitriol will actually change them.

Guess what.

It won't.

Ever.

You are never going to change these people.

So we use other means to minimize their effect and power in society. And honestly, I don't believe we do enough.

Enjoy his different perspective from the right, don't care about the gossip between celebrities but I'm sure none of it is very interesting or heartening.

Why some more than others?

Sometimes it seems that being a queer Republican is too much of a threat for the liberal media.
You seem incredibly ignorant on this subject. Especially if you believe harassment = gossip.

Toxi

Banned

Different perspective?

He's a lying bigoted cunt who organizes harassment campaigns. He doesn't have an ounce of shame or honesty in his body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom