• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Thinks That Laura Ingraham Made a Nazi Salute During the RNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those times where I want to believe it wasn't a Nazi salute.

(However, I can't believe that this is the second time I said that about someone in the Republican party within the past year...)

Why would you not think the party that's been increasingly pandering to white nationalist would do something like that jokingly or not?

I'm not saying they would or wouldn't; but, I think it is a bit absurd to call this out as a salute when you look at the entrance video and then compare it to the exit wave. It's just reaching for something, why do it? There is plenty to condemn concerning the RNC, the rhetoric, the speeches, etc. without going after a meaningless gesture and acting like it was a Nazi salute.

giphy.gif

There's a difference between "oh let me wave at people and at some point my hand will be straight out and be photographed in that pose," and a Nazi salute. This is on the Nazi Salute end of the spectrum.

Gigglepoo

The fact that we can debate whether or not a speaker at the RNC made a Nazi salute tells us everything we need to know. It doesn't even matter if she actually did. What matters is that it's plausible that she (or someone else at the convention) would.

I'm not sure how she's "trolling" anyone with a Nazi salute. If someone does a Nazi salute at a party campaign convention marred by white supremacist pandering and bigotry, they've made themselves look vile. Full stop.

It's a joke for her and her listeners who go on about political correctness and bullshit like that, trying to get liberals and the media to react so they'll have plenty of fodder to mock and use as evidence of how politically correct and out of touch they are, so quick to make them out to be nazis. It also allows them to put up pictures of Clinton holding her arm up and saying 'see! she's the nazi!'. It's standard right wing radio antics that nobody should be playing along with.

Watch the video guys, watch the entrance, watch from 17:40 onwards, she does the exact same sweeping gesture again, then continue watching and she does it again.

It isn't a Nazi salute. Its like people are searching for stuff so hard when there is no reason to.

Dalek

Watch the video guys, watch the entrance, watch from 17:40 onwards, she does the exact same sweeping gesture again, then continue watching and she does it again.

It isn't a Nazi salute. Its like people are searching for stuff so hard when there is no reason to.

But if she was secretly a Nazi, isn't that exactly what she would want you to think?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Looks like I called it. She's being sarcastic to point out how ridiculous it is.
Yeah, that might have been believable if she had just tweeted an image of Hillary in various salute-like poses, but the choice to send out an image that includes a direct side-by-side comparison of Hitler and Hillary with quotes chosen from each to make their ideas/beliefs sound the same, that completely undermines the claim.

Eh, if you watch when she comes out she does a similarly awkward wave. Although it's a bit higher than head level she does the "straight arm into wave into pointing at people" thing.

Video of her walking out.

Eh, I'll allow it. The fact that she tweets a collage of Hillary doing "the same thing" would have been alright, but that it has a pic directly comparing Hillary and Hitler is more problematic. I would not be surprised if that photo was another one from a racist -chan or reddit.

The fact that we can debate whether or not a speaker at the RNC made a Nazi salute tells us everything we need to know. It doesn't even matter if she actually did. What matters is that it's plausible that she (or someone else at the convention) would.
My exact feelings. It's already bad that we have to sit here and wonder if she has a hidden agenda, because sadly it's entirely possible given the history of the party and especially its current leadership.

Yo.

It wasn't a salute come on.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world. It makes no sense for her to do so - and the view suggesting it was is helllllaa conspiratorial.

She's been in the public eye for a minute, she sucks, her views suck, but she's not an idiot.

Yeah, why would a despicable person who regularly features on racist new channel Fox News to support Bill O Reilly, go to a convention for a racist political party to support a racist presidential candidate, support his racism, and then do something racist too.

I mean sorry but, where's the connection???

Yeah, why would a despicable person who regularly features on racist new channel Fox News to support Bill O Reilly, go to a convention for a racist political party to support a racist presidential candidate, support his racism, and then do something racist too.

That sure is a broad brush.

pgtl_10

Sounds like much ado about nothing. This what happens in the age of the internet where everything can be over analyzed.

Dalek

She may not have intended to do a Nazi salute...but she did a Nazi salute.

If I gave someone the middle finger and then said "oh no, no, no-this doesn't mean fuck you, This is just how I wave." It doesn't matter-I gave them the middle finger.

Volimar

It's not hard to believe the "trolling" excuse. When is the last time she has gotten so much attention? And she'll just laugh off the accusation as the left latching on to anything, they're so desperate. Oh and by the way here's loads of pictures of Hillary doing it so who is the real Nazi here?

pgtl_10

She may not have intended to do a Nazi salute...but she did a Nazi salute.

If I gave someone the middle finger and then said "oh no, no, no-this doesn't mean fuck you, This is just how I wave." It doesn't matter-I gave them the middle finger.

My Dad uses the middle finger to point to something.

Kinyou

Why would she sincerely do a salute like that? What's to gain? The vote of white supremacists? I'm pretty sure they already got those locked.

Aurongel

So because it's plausible means it's fact?

This thread is the hyperbolic gift that just keeps on giving.

Future

Why would she sincerely do a salute like that? What's to gain? The vote of white supremacists? I'm pretty sure they already got those locked.

Why would a newscaster say black cock in live tv?

It was a slip. Not intended of course, but that's what makes it funny

FiggyCal

Banned
I like how you just ignore that white nationalists in the states commonly use the same salute. The fucking kkk uses it look at post 437 or Google it. This isn't about Nazism or her cheerleading hitler. This is her using a symbol that white supremacists use. You're dense if you don't think she purposely did this for the resulting attention she would get. This picture isn't shopped either but keep going to bat for a disgusting sack of shit it's good look to have.

Nah. The other guy just isn't making the same leap as you. She did this thing, probably immediately realized it and tried to cover it up. I'm not going to assume she was appealing to white supremacists when it could've just been an innocent mistake.

Edit: on second thought; it could also have been an awkward canned set of waving motions and she didn't even notice at all.

FiggyCal

Banned
Nvm. Her facial expression when doing the salute is so different from when she hand waves. I have to think it was intentional now.

Almighty

Not enough evidence for me to say it was intentional. With that said intentional or not that pic of her with Trump in the background is magnificent. So good I was sure it was a photoshop when I left for class this morning and my mind is blown seeing that it is legit.

Cuburt

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sieg heils like a duck, it's probably a racist

xm9lBz.gif

The Donald emboldening a whole demographic in a way that this does not surprise me.

Syncytia

My Dad uses the middle finger to point to something.

My grandfather does too. But he doesn't have a pointer finger.

More importantly though, in no way have I ever seen him point at something and have it interpreted as giving someone the finger.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

But they think they can win by engaging all the closet racists and white supremacists. They think there is a huge groundswell of support waiting to be tapped if they can indicate that yes, they know what white America wants and they will deliver that.

It was absolutely intentional. Is Ingraham a Nazi? Not literally, although her professed political beliefs skew pretty close much of the time. This is physical dogwhistling. She's either making the gesture intentionally, knowing people who agree with her will get the wink and people who disagree who point it out can be deflected with a simple "A Nazi salute at an American political rally? That's crazy talk!" routine. But the video is very clear. Nobody waves like that.

And no, none of the still shots of Hillary look like a Nazi salute, and if you watch those shots in motion, they're just screen grabs of a normal wave action. What Ingraham did was very, very distinct. This woman is Ann Coulter 2.0, basically. She knew what she was doing.

But they think they can win by engaging all the closet racists and white supremacists. They think there is a huge groundswell of support waiting to be tapped if they can indicate that yes, they know what white America wants and they will deliver that.

It was absolutely intentional. Is Ingraham a Nazi? Not literally, although her professed political beliefs skew pretty close much of the time. This is physical dogwhistling. She's either making the gesture intentionally, knowing people who agree with her will get the wink and people who disagree who point it out can be deflected with a simple "A Nazi salute at an American political rally? That's crazy talk!" routine. But the video is very clear. Nobody waves like that.

Physical dogwhistling. I like that. Yeah, this might be the case. Her gesture seems to deliberate to be random.

Gigglepoo

So because it's plausible means it's fact?

This thread is the hyperbolic gift that just keeps on giving.

What? That's not what I said at all. The "fact" is that we're debating, not whether or not she performed a Nazi salute. Reading comprehension is hard, eh?

Monocle

It's not hard to believe the "trolling" excuse. When is the last time she has gotten so much attention? And she'll just laugh off the accusation as the left latching on to anything, they're so desperate. Oh and by the way here's loads of pictures of Hillary doing it so who is the real Nazi here?
Where are the videos of her doing what Laura did? Freeze frames don't count, for the obvious reason that a regular movement could be captured at an inopportune moment and made to look like something else.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Seeing it on loop just proves its not a Nazi salute but a choreographed set of waves.

Front wave, paannn, palm, palm, palm, and point and point

Who waves like that? No normal human being waves at people by outstretching their arm and having the fingers shut tight. On top of that, look at her expression. What's with the stern look and then the drop into the smile? Who the fuck was she waving to with that mean muggin face?

TheContact

This doesn't bother me. It was clearly an accident. Every one of these republicans are asshats but she did not intend to do the nazi salute. That's just dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom