• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Sen. Cory Booker sends letter to 13 banks to examine overdraft practices.

No, that's a purity test. All politicians are going to have relationships with corporations. That isn't a reason to discount them outright.

With respect, I'll use whatever kind of test I want to decide whether I support somebody. Frankly, if you don't get that distrust of bought-and-paid for beltway politicians is why Trump is sitting in the White House, you probably shouldn't be lecturing people. They literally thought they were upending the system by electing Trump. However wrong they were, the point is we can't offer them milquetoast corporatism as a response and win.

Beartruck

Did you ever stop to think that maybe a larger portion of Democrats finds such a candidate more compelling?

Good for them. I'll vote for him if he gets the nomination because he's still better than Trump, but I sure as shit won't vote for him in the primaries.

tmarg

That all said, yes it is bullshit that banks "default" to overdraft fees being charged.

IIRC, they can't default to anything, they have to specifically ask you if you want overdraft protection when you open an account, hence why they need to mislead people.

Lombax

Banned
this man needs to be president

13248859_1762709213964713_1703474076_n.jpg

but seriously, nope.

Khansolo1

He is a NJ politician. If you are going to blame him for accepting money from big pharma and investment firms then you do not understand the area. Big Pharma for a long time was the biggest industry in NJ and it might still be. Losing pharma jobs to SC and other southern states has been a huge blow for our economy. Would you blame a Texas politician for accepting oil money?
Yes, I'm a firm believer in climate change and why the hell would I vote for a politician whose receiving oil money? Now if he's running in a primary I'd vote for the other guy, but if he gets the Democratic nomination I would bite my tongue but I'd vote for him.

Kill3r7

Yes, I'm a firm believer in climate change and why the hell would I vote for a politician whose receiving oil money? Now if he's running in a primary I'd vote for the other guy, but if he gets the Democratic nomination I would bite my tongue but I'd vote for him.

My point is that the pharma money is not unusual and furthermore his constituents need big pharma to continue to stay in the state, hence my oil analogy. That said, I agree with your analysis if you would vote for him.

hokahey

I gotta tell ya, 20 years ago, it was worse. $35 per overdrafted charge and no way to opt out. And this was before online banking. I remember calling an 800# to get my balance and recent transactions.

As bullshit as it was, it definitely taught me to better balance my books. I was never going to call that 800# again and hear "your current balance is -$320." That's a fucking fortune when you're poor, all for overdrafting 8 things worth $40. You were fucked until payday.

Swear it's annoying the purity tests. I mean look at the alternative has just spent the last 6 months doing. Don't know if Booker will go far, but he should certainly run and if he somehow wins the nomination I'll be voting for him.

I think the Democrats can do better. It's not just about being better than Trump. I'd vote you for President if you were the nominee against Trump and I don't know a single thing about you.

Wilsongt

BoA puts my money in my checking account to protect me from overdrafting fees and the charge me $12 for the transfer.

Fuck. Them.

IrishNinja

Perfect enemy of the good again.

Stop doing this, liberals.

we're a full 3 years out, why start settling for whatever you can already?
stop doing this, liberals

Swear it's annoying the purity tests. I mean look at the alternative has just spent the last 6 months doing. Don't know if Booker will go far, but he should certainly run and if he somehow wins the nomination I'll be voting for him.

I never get these posts: if it came down to Booker, Bernie or actually someone interesting, I'd vote for them & so would most here. doesn't mean I'd support them in the primaries, much less on a forum several years in advance

NH Apache

Banned
Since we are already going down this road in the thread, how about a choice that'll really fuck with republicans heads: John Bel Edwards, the Democratic governor of Louisiana and West Point graduate/82nd airborne.

Now that's a curveball.

Kwixotik

I had an overdraft of $0.01 a while back and got a $35 fee. I wrote an email asking if the fee could be waived. I got no email back and the fee was not waived. I only got a hand-addressed envelope in the mail containing a pocket register so I can manually track my balance.

How generous.

Culex

Banned
We literally have to give BOTH options and then the customer signs a consent form, regardless of choice which is kept on file. This is also where the banks (us included) make ALL our profits.

tanooki27

We literally have to give BOTH options and then the customer signs a consent form, regardless of choice which is kept on file. This is also where the banks (us included) make ALL our profits.

on the backs of those with nothing. yow, whatta world

ZeoVGM

Banned
I had an overdraft of $0.01 a while back and got a $35 fee. I wrote an email asking if the fee could be waived. I got no email back and the fee was not waived. I only got a hand-addressed envelope in the mail containing a pocket register so I can manually track my balance.

How generous.

Bank of America?

NimbusD

This is basically the equivalent of Hillary telling wall street to "Cut it out."

I hope that the Dems learn from their mistakes in 2016 soon. But so far it doesn't seem like it'll happen though. Current polls have them pushing Biden/Booker/Harris against Sanders/Warren. So there's a good 60% chance I'll have to go with the Republican candidate.
Lol at people who have these weird ultimatums with candidates acting like their views make sense. Going blindly Republican because you don't have the perfect candidate. Got it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is basically the equivalent of Hillary telling wall street to "Cut it out."

I hope that the Dems learn from their mistakes in 2016 soon. But so far it doesn't seem like it'll happen though. Current polls have them pushing Biden/Booker/Harris against Sanders/Warren. So there's a good 60% chance I'll have to go with the Republican candidate.

You realize this makes literally no sense, right?

Edit: Never mind. I just realized you're the same person who said that Russia would have rather had Hillary as president over Trump.

How generous.

Go inside, and talk to a manager. If your polite with them and haven't had many of them often times then you'll have a good chance of getting it waived.

People who work at banks get treated like shit by a lot of customers, you would be surprised how far being nice to them goes.

:D

Mr. X

So you are okay ruining the lives of poor, women and PoC because the candidate is only 80% similar?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Go inside, and talk to a manager. If your polite with them and haven't had many of them often times then you'll have a good chance of getting it waived.

People who work at banks get treated like shit by a lot of customers, you would be surprised how far being nice to them goes.

:D

While that isn't wrong -- and no one should be treating the employees of the bank poorly since it's not their fault -- the point is that these $35 overdraft fees are disgusting and shouldn't exist.

zelas

Single issue voter of you just dont care at all about some Dem causes?

We are three years out from running with a candidate.

We have enough time to select someone we actually can come to a general consensus on and is really well liked. We don't need to hop on the "we are going to nominate someone who sucks so just deal with it" train.

So it would be nice if people could criticize and/or praise democratic politicians based on their actions for now without this " so you'd just let a republican win!? DONT TALK BAD ABOUT A DEMOCRATS TERRIBLE RECORD.WE NEED TO KEEP IT QUITE SO NO ONE WILL KNOW".

Arttemis

Last year alone, three of the largest banks in the country collected over $5 billion in overdraft fees. One former bank CEO even named his yacht “Overdraft” in an apparent nod to the importance of such fees to the bank’s bottom line.

Fucking cretins.

dabig2

Fucking cretins.

Oh man, gotta love these wealthy vampire capitalists "job creators" who do such a magnificent service for the country. We're lucky to have them and we should offer them even more tax breaks at the expense of healthcare, food, housing, and services for the middle class and poor.

Where's my damn guillotine.

KSweeley

I've discovered Bank of America not just charges an overdraft fee of $35 for ANY transactions that put your account into the negative and keeps charging you an overdraft fee for any transactions that deducts money when your account is in a negative balance, they also charge for every single business day that your account is in the negative, an "Extended Overdrawn Balance Charge" fee of $35 until you either get a direct deposit that puts your account back in the positive or you make a large enough deposit of cash or checks to put your account back in the positive.

BoA puts my money in my checking account to protect me from overdrafting fees and the charge me $12 for the transfer.

Fuck. Them.

Then unenroll from it? Why the fuck are you signing up for a service that charges you $12? It's a shitty practice but you know about it and apparently still opt-in for whatever reason.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Several times I've had a hard time getting banks not to allow overdrafts, it's really a pain in the ass. Once I even had a bank sign me up for them without telling me.

Blader

You realize this makes literally no sense, right?

Edit: Never mind. I just realized you're the same person who said that Russia would have rather had Hillary as president over Trump.
Booker has more issues than bullshit Wall Street ties. He was not a great mayor and was very transparently using the job to leapfrog into higher office.

FyreWulff

First thing I do now when opening a bank account is have them turn off overdraft. I don't overdraft in the first place, but I've always been pissed since a long time ago when one of my first banks charged me 28$ for a 14 cent overdraft, and still bounced the charge anyway., so they charged me 28$ for spending none of my money.

NoRéN

Lolololololololololol

ZOONAMI

Yeah I have tcf and back when I was completely broke this would sometimes happen. The main problem with it is they will still charge you the fee even if you cover it the same day. Some heated discussion with cs and you can usually get it reversed. I never thought to ask if I could just not be allowed to overdraft at all until it happened for the 3rd or 4th time. The were like yeah it's optional. Lol

probably because she does dumb shit like this
damn, can't read it all because I'm sub-blocked but from what I read she seemed to be pretty much flawless

man, this was almost a sensible post until the last sentence just completely flips it on its head

BoA will enroll you in overdraft without telling you, and charge you $35 before the business day even ends. Better yet, they make it extremely difficult to add overdraft protection back in through mobile or online banking.

I just switched from them today.

Top Bottom