• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-world multiplayer Pirates game

Hexa

So there's no boarding or off ship whatsoever? That's kind of disapointing. I wanted a full pirate game, not just the ship part.

It looks interesting and the see combat in Black Flags was great..but if it is solely focused on sea combat than I think Sea of Thieves will be more fun.

So there's no boarding or off ship whatsoever? That's kind of disapointing. I wanted a full pirate game, not just the ship part.

Wait wait wait! no off ship at all? how on earth could they say this is the ultimate Pirate game? They were right with this NOT being Black flag 2.0, this is Black Flag 0.5

Sioul

From the official website: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/game/skull-and-bones/, not sure if already posted.

Customize-Your-Pirate-Experience_292957.jpg

Customize Your Pirate Experience:
Choose your captain, recruit your crew and build deadly ships.

Explosive-Multiplayer_292958.jpg

Explosive Multiplayer:
Enter the Disputed Waters and fight for supremacy in a variety of game modes.

Dominate-a-Dangerous-Open-Ocean_292959.jpg

Dominate a Dangerous Open Ocean:
A shared open world that reacts as you plunder rich trade routes.

Naval-Combat-Redefined_292960.jpg

Naval Combat Refined:
Use your weapons, spyglass and even the wind to stalk and destroy your prey.

Play-Solo-or-Coop_292961.jpg

Play Solo or Coop:
Raid the Hunting Grounds alone or group with other players to hunt larger prey.

I thought they were actually doing a pirate adventure game. Why in the world are Rare the only people doing a pirate adventure game. Do you guys not want to be fucking pirates? Why is this esports? BLAH

I like the idea of it, but I'd love it more if I could customize my captain, ship and crew in addition to getting off the ship. At the moment, Sea of Thieves seems better, but that's only my initial reaction.

I'm curious to see more about this, though.

Flintty

The first page of this thread is a bit embarrassing. This looks totally different to what Rare are doing. They're both pirate themed games but look like a different genres to me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was interested until they revealed it's multiplayer-focused.

I'm just not doing this again after For Honor.

velociraptor

So they basically got AC Black Flag

And removed all the Assassins'

And now we're left with this game.

Genius Ubisoft, Genius. Even the pirate music is the same.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
So when do they announce all the dlc, paywall ships, monthly fees, season's passes etc?

Ubisoft blows, fuck that company.

alemmon

So we are stuck in the ship? No getting out and exploring islands? No looting other ships? I feel very bummed by this... Not the pirate game I was hoping for...

I'm stuck at work and can't watch the videos. Can you actually get off your ship and run around with other people? All I can see so far is ship combat that looks exactly like Black Flag

I think they really missed the mark with this game. It doesn't look like you can go onto land, or even walk around the ship, and there's no single player campaign.

If they had just given us Black Flag 2, but set outside of the AC universe, maybe throw in some ghost pirates or something fun like that, then this would have easily been my game of the show.

A lot of people are saying Sea of Thieves is dead, but I don't think they are that similar really. You can walk around on land and on your boat in Sea of Thieves, and you can have multiple players manning the same boat, unlike Skull and Bones where one player just controls one boat by himself. They are two different games, mechanically.

Stiler

Have they confirmed its mp only and that there's no actual storyline/off-ship gameplay or anything, or are people just jumping to that conclusion?

I really really hope they didn't do that.

When people complained about Black Flag being tied to AC they didn't mean they wanted no land-based stuff or storyline, they just wanted a proper pirate that gave you freedom and could be a pirate game with no sci-fi elements or modern day stuff.

A-V-B

I think they really missed the mark with this game. It doesn't look like you can go onto land, or even walk around the ship, and there's no single player campaign.

If they had just given us Black Flag 2, but set outside of the AC universe, maybe throw in some ghost pirates or something fun like that, then this would have easily been my game of the show.

Yeah, that would've been a showstopper. Damn it, UbiSoft...

I'm stuck at work and can't watch the videos. Can you actually get off your ship and run around with other people? All I can see so far is ship combat that looks exactly like Black Flag

As of now it doesn't seem like it. So far it looks like the game is strictly naval combat.

The boarding process is automated and done through a cutscene.

Top Bottom