• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Developer conference for Wii U. First look at Wii U games in development.

Ydahs

I think it's clear that by launch, the graphics and controls of Killer Freaks will be drastically improved. Lots of textures are flat and really do look like place holders for now, but the lighting is decent in areas. I think that many studios don't really care about looks at this stage and who would when you have such an exciting new piece of technology in your hands?

With that said, I'd still rather player my FPS games with a Wiimote, as it is infinitely better than dual analogs and looks to be much more accurate than the WiiUmote's gyro.

Game has potential. Give it some depth and some good online and I'll buy it.

After seeing the video, I am so confused. I am very very bad at dual analog controlls. I only bought wii this gen before that I only had snes long way back. I can not play fps espicially with dual control. Wii control were one of the best thing that ever happend atleast to me. They were simple and did perfact job. Going from that to wiiU will be hard. I hope they include wii control option in every game. I would love to play atleast fps with wii controls.

Krowley

Killer freaks looks really rough, so I'm not going to judge it yet. It looks like he was having a really hard time aiming. He was basically aiming like a drunk person. The concept of the control scheme sounds kind of interesting to me, but it doesn't look like it's working very well.

From what I saw, ghost recon looked pretty cool.

Krowley

agrajag said:
I'd like to see the touchscreen used as a trackpad. Drag the reticule with your finger.

Maybe they should follow sony's lead and put a trackpad area on the back of the controller (maybe just a small circular area somewhere back there with a texture on it).

The controller seems to have basically everything else imaginable, so why not?

agrajag

Banned
nincompoop said:
Then you'd only be able to use one button.

You'd be able to use the entire left side of the controller. That's four face buttons (d-pad) + two triggers = seven buttons. You could also have an area on the touch screen to manage weapons.

agrajag said:
You'd be able to use the entire left side of the controller. That's four face buttons (d-pad) + two triggers = seven buttons. You could also have an area on the touch screen to manage weapons.
You obviously can't use the dpad when your thumb is occupying the thumbstick. So you have two buttons.

agrajag said:

I was really impressed by the idea of interactive map management on the fly. That pretty much gets rid of a gaming hurdle that's been plaguing polygonal games since the N64/PS1 days. DS pretty much began that trend, but that sort of interactivity will be really fleshed out with Wii U.

agrajag

Banned
nincompoop said:
You obviously can't use the dpad when your thumb is occupying the thumbstick. So you have two buttons.

Why, your thumb isn't glued to it. Also, your right hand wouldn't be glued to the touch screen either. Also, having "buttons" on the touch screen would also aleviate your concerns. How many buttons do you really need when you can easily manage your inventory on the screen?

DSN2K

you cant really be critical or praise alpha footage of a game from Consumer point of view, fact they had something up and running to show says the Console is fairly easy to work with.

jett

D-Member
The Killer Freaks demo demonstrates that aiming with that monstrosity is a disaster. Or maybe it's just a crappy game/demo.

agrajag said:
Why, your thumb isn't glued to it. Also, your right hand wouldn't be glued to the touch screen either. Also, having "buttons" on the touch screen would also aleviate your concerns. How many buttons do you really need when you can easily manage your inventory on the screen?
Fire
Alt Fire
Melee
Aim Down Sight
Crouch
Interact
Flashlight
etc

Kozak

Banned
Shiggy said:
Rather the latter...

Playing on the controller itself seemed to be a huge problem though. If you're aiming with the controller, you'll want to be looking at a TV screen rather than the tiny screen.

Matt

jett said:
The Killer Freaks demo demonstrates that aiming with that monstrosity is a disaster. Or maybe it's just a crappy game/demo.
He was aiming using the gyroscope and accelerometer. If he had just been using the sticks it would have looked just like any other FPS on any other system.

jett

D-Member
Matt said:
He was aiming using the gyroscope and accelerometer. If he had just been using the sticks it would have looked just like any other FPS on any other system.

I know, man. I'm saying aiming with the gyros looks like a pain in the ass. Although honestly who knows if those circle pads are as good as a regular analog stick.

Vinci

Danish
Not a huge fan of the gyro controls for Killer Freaks. The local multiplayer segment looks pretty fun as hell though.

EDIT: If you want to use the gyros in a FPS, just have a sudden shift of the controller to either side cause your character to dodge that direction or something.

jett

D-Member
Cow Mengde said:
Man, Ghost Recon Online better run at 60fps on the Wii U.

Not at the moment it doesn't. I find it slightly strange how everyone at E3 has been dodging questions on the WiiU's power related to the PS360, even Nintendo themselves.

KevinCow

Banned
agrajag said:

To solve nincompoop's problem (which isn't nearly as big a problem as he's making it out to be), you could just hold the controller like normal and use your thumb on the touch screen.

Krowley

jett said:
Not at the moment it doesn't. I find it slightly strange how everyone at E3 has been dodging questions on the WiiU's power related to the PS360, even Nintendo themselves.

I agree. If it's significantly stronger (as many of the rumors prior to the show suggested) why not just come right out and say so? I guarantee that Sony and Ms certainly wouldn't be shy about touting the power of their systems. In fact, both companies might be inclined to over-hype their power on occasion.

Some people are saying the graphics tech demos could only have come from a stronger system, and they look awesome, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about graphics to say for sure if that's true. I'm pretty well sold that some of the lighting effects in the demos were more advanced than stuff possible on other consoles.

Some of the careful wording and comments about how the hardware isn't finalized makes me wonder if Nintendo might have decided to downscale compared to their initial plans. Maybe the rumors about a really strong console came before some kind of recent downgrade. If nintendo are getting worried about the price due to the lackluster 3DS performance, they might decide to make the console less expensive.

If they had just been a little more explicit in their comments, these fears wouldn't be popping up.

agrajag

Banned
KevinCow said:
To solve nincompoop's problem (which isn't nearly as big a problem as he's making it out to be), you could just hold the controller like normal and use your thumb on the touch screen.

I've considered that, but your thumb would have to be superhumanly long.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
It's very early.
Remember Wallguy and Lair?
By launch I'm sure it will look and run a lot better.

As for the specs, it's obviously at least as powerful as PS3. The console is quite a bit bigger than the original Wii, and has a lot of cooling, so it doesn't make sense for it to be less powerful.
For a while it's been Nintendo policy to never comment on specs. Here it's probably because they don't want them out there to be compared to PS4 and Nextbox when they arrive.

Taker666

I'm not sure if I'd want to play the whole of Killer Freaks with the gyro controls.

They'd be better off using the normal controls and then intersperse it with moments where you use the gyro controls ....

...such as going into a pitch black room and using the gyro controls/screen for a night vision/infrared view...or perhaps a device that can show up cloaked aliens/weak spots on bosses which can't be seen on the tv.

KevinCow said:
That doesn't solve shit since you still wouldn't have access to most of your buttons while you're aiming. For an FPS control scheme to be effective, your mechanism for aiming needs to be completely independent of any other actions you need to perform.
Mouse = GOOD
Gyro = GOOD
Wiimote = GOOD
Touchscreen = BAD
Dual joystick = BAD

Boerseun

Banned
Instro said:
To be fair, Red Steel was developed like a few months before launch. It was a completely rushed project. Killer Freaks has a year or more ahead of it.

Actually it wasn't rushed at all.

Red Steel was originally a 360 game called Killing Day, ported to the Wii along with the Unreal 2.5 engine. Furthermore, the Red Steel development team was also tasked with doing research & development work on the Wii controls, in the process generating code that went into everything Ubisoft did on the console. All of the above explains the game's oft-cited $12 million dollar cost, although in reality that figure includes the cost of HD development and technology R&D that would be used on numerous projects.

For the record, I enjoyed the original Red Steel. People complain about the huge bounding box (i.e. dead zone surrounding the cursor), but this was clearly a deliberate design choice. The result is that the game plays like and should be played like a lightgun game with freedom of movement between encounters. Notice how the level design, placement of cover objects and enemies support this point of view. In other words, it wasn't designed to be a fast run-and-gun shooter, and you are breaking the game if you decide on playing it like that.

For a similar critical reception, notice all the people criticising the gunplay in Damnation, when in reality there is nothing wrong with this element of the game design. These complainers just don't get it. They want to turn the game into something it is not. They don't want to make any effort at mastering the game, rather expecting it to conform to their own preconceptions of what they believe it should play like.

I'm massively looking forward to Killer Freaks from Outer Space and Ghost Recon On-line. We already know from beta testing of the PC version that GRO is fantastic. Killer Freaks is however something never seen before, a concept with HUGE potential, and if it lives up to that potential I'll be all over it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Aiming and firing are much better than this at least:

rckbp2.gif

KevinCow

Banned
nincompoop said:
That doesn't solve shit since you still wouldn't have access to most of your buttons while you're aiming. For an FPS control scheme to be effective, your mechanism for aiming needs to be completely independent of any other actions you need to perform.
Mouse = GOOD
Gyro = GOOD
Wiimote = GOOD
Touchscreen = BAD
Dual joystick = BAD

Uh. Okay, whatever.

It would be fine for people whose issue with dual analog is the lack of accuracy, not the fact that you only have immediate access to four buttons and two stick clicks while your thumb is on the stick. I don't have a problem with taking my thumb off the aiming mechanism to tap a reload or switch weapon or melee button.

It would be a step up from dual analog, and could appeal to the people who like dual analog for the form factor while providing them with more accurate aiming.

Sure, ideally you'd have access to ever single function without sacrificing movement or aiming, but a control scheme asking you to do so isn't GRAAARRRGH GAME-BREAKINGLY UNPLAYABLY HULK RAGE HORRIBLE like you're making it out to be. Even on mouse and keyboard, you have to occasionally take your fingers of WASD to do some stuff.

Pretty cool round table, they are actually friends and having fun. I like that.

As for Ghost Recon and Killer Freaks, I'll keep my eyes on both games, but Ghost Recon already looks like a fun multi-player game. Best of all, it's not just about shooting and reloading.

J-Rock

Banned
jett said:

Probably because nothing is final right now. Devkits aren't even final.

Top Bottom