• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "On PC, you don't usually care about performance"; just buy a bigger GPU

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sick of "PC is better! PC is better" narrative which completely downplays the inconveniences of PC.

Guess what I played Mass Effect on both consoles and PC (with superior graphics and framerate) and the console gameplay shits on PC gameplay simply because of the user interface. Same deal with Skyrim, I found the broken PS3 version of Skyrim much more enjoyable than the 1080p PC version, because I did not have to suffer through a keyboard/mouse to play it. "Press E to open door" prompt has no place in modern gaming.

I'm sure a lot of pc gamers are sick of your narrative as well.

Also like someone mentioned you could've used a controller if you wanted to so your complaints and your experience are nothing more than a product of your ignorance or laziness.

You sound like a bad console shill on this topic and others you've been railing against the pc, keep pushing your luck you will have a short visit here.

Skyzard

Banned
He is... He's been trolling simultaneously in multiple threads today about PC.

Hah, okay I see that dude is trolling now too, but I meant the Ubisoft guy!

If coldfoot just said that PC has its drawbacks in that you need to optimize the games yourself and it's not always possible (so you end up in the settings more than the game), he'd hit too close to home. But who cares about that.

Can't believe Ubisoft said that. dafuq

Vasek45

Neo Member
Bethesda games crash on all platforms. You're back to KB/M when it crashes on PC, not on console. Experienced it both on PC and console.
szIZWXm.jpg

Do you have allergy to keyboard and mouse and never use it?

Skyzard

Banned
szIZWXm.jpg

Do you have allergy to keyboard and mouse and never use it?

If he's serious then he can just plug in a controller, unless he really means he doesn't want to sit at the desk...anyway

UBISOFT, not cool, optimise your fucking shitely done ports or I'll buy it when I upgrade my GPU...in 5 years, and your game is £0.50p, and on steam. It's not like AC is going to be a new experience.

Mudcrab

Sick of "PC is better! PC is better" narrative which completely downplays the inconveniences of PC.

Guess what I played Mass Effect on both consoles and PC (with superior graphics and framerate) and the console gameplay shits on PC gameplay simply because of the user interface. Same deal with Skyrim, I found the broken PS3 version of Skyrim much more enjoyable than the 1080p PC version, because I did not have to suffer through a keyboard/mouse to play it. "Press E to open door" prompt has no place in modern gaming.

At first I thought you were serious, now I realize you're one of those joke/character accounts everyone around here keeps mentioning.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, this thread started out with Ubisoft saying something spectacularly stupid and it continues with a poster saying similarly spectacularly stupid stuff.

By all means, continue. =)

fmC44Kr.gif

Faustek

I gotta know Coldfoot, what is the reasoning behind your crusade against the PC platform?

I see you in one thread or another arguing about how horrible it is, but I have to ask, why?

Please.

At first I thought you were serious, now I realize you're one of those joke/character accounts that everyone around here keeps mentioning.

He has some really good posts as well, just a while back he tore through Senjutsu's post history from the annals of time and pretty much destroyed his worth.

XShagrath

So? What's your point? Is it a disease to even touch a keyboard and mouse? How do you even write right now on this Forum? With something that Must at least emulate a keyboard RIGHT?
He uses a 360 chatpad. Or perhaps he just uses the D-pad to navigate a virtual keyboard and clicks 'A' for each letter?

TheExodu5

Banned
I will agree with him to a point...but when the limiting factor is the CPU there's not always a way out. See: Neverwinter Nights 2, which still can't run properly on modern hardware, nearly 10 years later. There's no saving poor multithreading, as CPUs haven't really been getting better in terms of single core IPC.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I gotta know Coldfoot, what is the reasoning behind your crusade against the PC platform?

I see you in one thread or another arguing about how horrible it is, but I have to ask, why?

He's someone who has gone on record to say that they'd prefer to support iOS developers who outright refuse to develop on Android in hopes that it starves Android out as a platform.

Do yourself a favor and ignore list that nimrod.

Chronoja

Bethesda games crash on all platforms. You're back to KB/M when it crashes on PC, not on console. Experienced it both on PC and console.

That is correct. I similarly don't play fighting games either, but that's not due to controls. Don't miss either genre.

I won't lie, your resolve on the issue is admirable. You may not miss the genres but to me at least it just seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot, at least that's how I'd feel. Gaming is so diverse, rich and (arguably) creative at its best, some games work well with some controls, some with others, I may not find RTS to be in my favorite genres but if I took the unwavering stance to dismiss every game in it entirely down to it's control methods I'd be missing out on some very unique experiences. Likewise if I were so steadfast against controllers I'd be missing out on some true gems in platforming and racing etc. I'd hate to miss out on potentially great experiences due to artificial reasons like controller preference. But anyways, to each their own.

coldfoot

Banned
So? What's your point? Is it a disease to even touch a keyboard and mouse? How do you even write right now on this Forum? With something that Must at least emulate a keyboard RIGHT?
Keyboard/Mouse is for work and on a chair and desk. I don't want any of those near my entertainment, is that so weird, is it that inconceivable for you to believe? That is literally worse than 720/20fps for me. Is it so hard to accept that PC isn't as convenient and couch friendly as a console? If it were, I'd be playing on PC.

Serrato

He uses a 360 chatpad. Or perhaps he just uses the D-pad to navigate a virtual keyboard and clicks 'A' for each letter?

Well, if he uses the Interface Keyboard.. Kudos to him to use inneficient way.

The Chatpad?... That's a keyboard. That's the main function!

Keyboard/Mouse is for work and on a chair and desk. I don't want any of those near my entertainment, is that so weird? That is literally worse than 720/20fps for me. Is it so hard to accept that PC isn't as convenient and couch friendly as a console? If it were, I'd be playing on PC.

For me it's more convenient. Couch Friendly? never heard or all those pc gamers that play on a couch, on a huge TV with... a Xbox/Ps3/other controls? They maybe use maybe a wireless mouse. If they ever need to get up.

Shambles

Let me break it down for you Ubisoft.

Your games aren't optimized for the platform.
You force all of your games onto a DRM client that has an online check-in prior to loading up.
Your most popular games are dumbed down to ridiculous levels in order to appeal to an audience that doesn't exist on PC.
Your games come over weeks later than the console versions.

I gotta ask, why are you even on the platform at all? Honestly, just pack up and go. I wouldn't be missing anything.

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Keyboard/Mouse is for work and on a chair and desk. I don't want any of those near my entertainment, is that so weird? That is literally worse than 720/20fps for me. Is it so hard to accept that PC isn't as convenient and couch friendly as a console? If it were, I'd be playing on PC.

You know a lot of us play PC games on our TVs with BPM?

gogosox8

Just like anything under 1080p/60 is unacceptable for PC gamers, any function of a system that can't be done with a controller is unacceptable to me. I never want to resort to KB/mouse while trying to power on a PC, launch a game, enter my name, play a game, or even if it crashes. NEVER. That's why I like consoles.

Or you could just plug your pc into your tv like most of us do and game with xbox controller ( I actually use a ps3 controller).

OryoN

Might he/she simply have meant that PC gamers aren't as locked down on their platform? You can't upgrade a console's GPU, you are stuck with it.

Get out of here with your common sense!

It's absolutely clear the dev doesn't know what they're talking about. Heck, let's all just act like idiots and front like this isn't exactly what we've generally been doing year after freaking year with all the "ohh no, will 'X' game run decently on my 'Y' GPU? Should I upgrade?" threads. Let's pretend we are that cluless about the statement.

smh...

Mudcrab

Keyboard/Mouse is for work and on a chair and desk. I don't want any of those near my entertainment, is that so weird, is it that inconceivable for you to believe? That is literally worse than 720/20fps for me. Is it so hard to accept that PC isn't as convenient and couch friendly as a console? If it were, I'd be playing on PC.

Expect 1) Many people find it to be quite couch friendly 2) You wanting developers to abandon the PC because you can't work a keyboard and mouse is hilarious.

Eh, I'm pretty sure this is most PC developers point of view. And it's undoubtedly the overall narrative PCGAF has thrown around these past couple of years. You can lead the crusade against Ubi, but a lot of PC developers release products that don't fully utilize the resources they have to potential.

But yeah this is one of my biggest hangups with PC gaming. The answer you get from most parties is always to upgrade hardware when technical challenges arrive, it's never to tighten up software. The end result is mostly IMO, a waste of very expensive GPU resources that could be but to way better use than another grade if AA here and a resolution bump there.

Hopefully when things like mantle take off, developers start to flesh out a lot more of the GPU capabilities.

coldfoot

Banned
Or you could just plug your pc into your tv like most of us do and game with xbox controller ( I actually use a ps3 controller).
You still have to use KB/Mouse at some point, whether it be windows update, launch the game, open steam, relaunch the game when it crashes, etc. I have tried extensively, I have a PC in my home entertainment rack guys (sold my GPU and now only using it for capture). I did try and found the experience unacceptable for my standards. I'm not speaking out of ignorance, but experience.

Kingbrave

That is correct. I similarly don't play fighting games either, but that's not due to controls. Don't miss either genre.

If you don't like the PC as a games platform, why the fuck are you in this thread?

And it is unacceptable for any game in this day and age to not be 1080/60fps.

iNvid02

jesus christ this actually made me forget what i was going to post
KuGsj.gif

Damian.

Banned
You still have to use KB/Mouse at some point, whether it be windows update, launch the game, open steam, relaunch the game when it crashes, etc. I have tried extensively, I have a PC in my home entertainment rack guys (sold my GPU and now only using it for capture). I did try and found the experience unacceptable for my standards.

But you admitted you have no standards (720p/20fps being ok). Now you say you have standards. Which is it, man!

coldfoot

Banned
But you admitted you have no standards (720p/20fps being ok). Now you say you have standards. Which is it, man!
Different standards for graphics vs. input methods? I want to get the best graphics possible without using KB/mouse and currently that points to PS4.
But enough about MY preferences. I'm sure Ubisoft would much rather prefer it if people bought their games on consoles, and that's why they don't spend any money on PC ports.

derExperte

If you don't like the PC as a games platform, why the fuck are you in this thread?

It's rather obvious. Threadshitting console threads gets you banned fast these days. PC threads on the other hand? Fair game if I go by the last few weeks so certain people do just that. I mean look at the Total Biscuit NfS thread. So many 'glad I bought it for PS4' posts. So many people not understanding what the problem is. It's mind-boggling.

Kingbrave

Because he has to let everyone know about the horrors of playing Elder Scrolls games on PC.

Apparently.

Different standards for graphics vs. input methods? I want to get the best graphics possible without using KB/mouse and currently that points to PS4.
But enough about MY preferences. I'm sure Ubisoft would much rather prefer it if people bought their games on consoles, and that's why they don't spend any money on PC ports.

Personally if the graphics and game are more stable on any platform, I can get used to whatever controls are necessary. It's fine that you don't like keyboard and mouse (which is fucked up, what the hell are you typing on?).

yeah im gonna go with it still points to pc at this point

Grief.exe

Is it inconceivable for you to believe that some would prefer to play with that control style?

You still have to use KB/Mouse at some point, whether it be windows update, launch the game, open steam, relaunch the game when it crashes, etc. I have tried extensively, I have a PC in my home entertainment rack guys (sold my GPU and now only using it for capture). I did try and found the experience unacceptable for my standards. I'm not speaking out of ignorance, but experience.

this is my "KB/Mouse" for my living room PC, size of a remote

11595017-all-in-one-rii-mote-i6-control-your-pc-tv-dvd-air-conditioning-at-time.jpg

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

Well I've played hundreds of hours of Skyrim on PC and never had it crash once. Come to think of it I can't recall the last time a PC game crashed on me.

Maybe you have just had bad luck with the setup or configurations of the PC.

Top Bottom