• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "On PC, you don't usually care about performance"; just buy a bigger GPU

coldfoot

Banned
You are right. For some people, they do not even change any settings at all.

Until:
Nvidia2_zps2c74561d.jpg

You don't have to worry about any of this on a console, and I like that.

Until:
Nvidia2_zps2c74561d.jpg

You don't have to worry about any of this on a console, and I like that.

You know categorically denying a point by google searching an image of some corner case is pretty bad argumentative form. IN fact it is horrible argumentative fanboy crappish form.

Heck, want me to talk about the Red Ring of death?

in the past 4 years, i don't think i've spent more than 10 minutes in a new game dicking with settings (always had mid range gaming pc parts).

Thinks break from time to time, but so has a few ps3 games i've played. pretty much every issue i've had on pc, a quick google leads me to a fix, while maybe unorthodox, a fix is a fix. On consoles, you have to wait X amount of days until the next title update which is always fun when you spend $60 or more on a new game.

pros and cons everywhere.

Zomba13

"On PC ports you usually don't care about quality or performance because the idea is that if it's not good you just get Durante to fix it."

When we all realised that the new consoles would launch at a performance level well below gaming PCs from a year ago, I began wondering what the first post-launch meltdowns would look like. I'm disappointed, I expected more from next gen meltdowns.

Sick of "PC is better! PC is better" narrative which completely downplays the inconveniences of PC.

Guess what I played Mass Effect on both consoles and PC (with superior graphics and framerate) and the console gameplay shits on PC gameplay simply because of the user interface. Same deal with Skyrim, I found the broken PS3 version of Skyrim much more enjoyable than the 1080p PC version, because I did not have to suffer through a keyboard/mouse to play it. "Press E to open door" prompt has no place in modern gaming.

I'm being serious when I say this is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on GAF.

Sentenza

I've never seen a pc ruin itself, there's this something called user input.
Though that was probably caused by your inability to use a mouse and keyboard.
You are talking as if he had any direct experience of what he's babbling about for pages, but he doesn't.
He just googled a random pic.

crozier

I still can't get Tomb Raider to run on my rig without it crashing or artifacting over the entire screen. Probably spent a good 5 hours reading forums, changing drivers, etc before finally giving up. Spending countless hours troubleshooting comes with the territory as a PC gamer.

Dario ff

Banned
No source given so it's tales from the ass until proven otherwise.
So I came back from class, found my source and-
*5 pages of insane posts*
...uh ok, in case you wanted it anyway coldfoot, here's my source for the 4 million figure of GTA IV on PC. I was pretty sure I had heard of it on the Take Two financial report, so straight from the horse's mouth.

Dans les chiffres que nous a communiqués l’éditeur, on découvre ainsi que la version PC de Grand Theft Auto IV représente 4 millions d’exemplaires écoulés (dématérialisé compris) sur le total de 32 millions, malgré une sortie tardive et un portage pas vraiment exemplaire.
Takes into account both retail and digital. I'm no french but it's pretty easy to read with Google Translate and somebody on the previous thread had translated it already. So like I said before, I'll argue it's free money left on the table. Especially considering the digital distribution market has grown way more from 2008.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm not telling anyone to use a certain input method, unlike what people have been telling me. To each their own. However sales figures are on my side as to what most prefer.
A 100% controller-only navigable SteamOS including powering on/off and accessing every system function, with a standard controller would please me more than any of you, honestly.

Slide1-434x245.PNG

enoki

Is PC not still the lead platform for Watch Dogs? I remember Guillemot swearing it would be earlier this year.

Remove facebook, flash, and DOTA/MMO and you're left with a very small piece of that pie. The types of games that people complain about (AAA SP + MP games with advanced graphics) here don't sell well on PC, and not just because of bad ports.

So... Do you have actual numbers to back up this crap or are you just pulling stuff out of your ass again? Something you've complained about from other people even when they have proof....

Why is DOTA/MMOs removed? Can we remove shooters for consoles? I feel they don't represent anything meaningful...

Buzzman

Banned
Remove facebook, flash, and DOTA/MMO and you're left with a very small piece of that pie. The types of games that people complain about (AAA SP + MP games with advanced graphics) here don't sell well on PC, and not just because of bad ports.
MMOs like The Crew, or The Division?

-Deimos

I've never had problems installing and running a legitimately bought game besides the occasional crash for titles with known issues. Same goes on PS3, I've had games freeze on me or enter infinite loading screens occasionally. The small amount of time I've spent troubleshooting PC games is definitely worth the results.

Also, the reason why most people have a hard time with PC crashes is because the developer did a bad job porting the game to PC. You can't complain about a system when the program you're running wasn't developed for that system.

Shambles

He's like the Rob Ford of NeoGAF. Very entertaining posts.

Big-E

Glad Ubisoft can give me more reasons to never play their games. Uplay is bad enough but their shitty ports and attitude make it easy for me to skip.

EDIT: LOL at removing Dota/MMO. Ridiculous.

Stet

Banned

I'm glad you've left yourself an out by not defining what "selling well" means. That's worth another few yards of goalpost movement later on.

DrSlek

You have zero factual basis for this argument. Consoles are becoming gaming PC's for the masses, just like tablets are becoming casual use PC's for the masses.
PS3+360+Wii sales > PS2+GC+Xbox+DC sales > PS1+N64+Saturn sales. This is fact. PS4 selling more than a million in launch day and reportedly XB1 preorders being higher than 360 are also against your argument.

Show me one piece of factual evidence supporting your argument.

Here ya go. This article is from 2 months ago.
http://www.techspot.com/news/53536-pc-gamers-fuel-hardware-sales-in-otherwise-stagnant-market.html

Hardware sales attributed to PC gaming are rising despite tablets taking over as the household general use machine. According to JPR About $800,000,000 in hardware sales are attributed to ArmA 3. A game that is considered by the wider gaming industry to be a niche title. According to a quick calculation, that's about the same as 2 million PS4 consoles.

coldfoot

Banned
So I found my source and-
*5 pages of insane posts*

...uh ok, in case you wanted it anyway coldfoot, here's my source for the 4 million figure of GTA IV on PC. I was pretty sure I had heard of it on the Take Two financial report, so straight from the horse's mouth.
I've read T2 Q2 2014 financial report and also read the conference call transcript. No where in any of those talks about GTAIV PC sales. Need a more reputable source than "Gamekult" sorry.

Allow me to deliberately misunderstand the context in order to justify my response

this thread is just lol

I mean nowhere does it say that PC optimization isn't important. (although coming from Ubi...) but this really amounts to cherry picking a quote and then choosing how to interpret it in order to justify otherwise nonsense responses because the original quote is about developing on consoles relative to PC. I doubt that 'buy a new GPU' is dude's excuse for not optimizing, he's just saying that unlike PS4 and Xbox 1 that's actually an option.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I think I wont remove anything and just let you continue to be wrong.

derExperte

I'm sure there are many other market research companies that forecast differently. That's not really showing anything, remember PS3 predictions?

Remember when you produced any sources for the things you claimed? Me neither.

Coldfoot shitting up yet another thread with his agenda driven console warrior nonsense.

I like how he has dug himself a hole so deep that not even the other console crusaders usually seen in threads like this bother to show up.

Guri

I don't get it. You say that managing the graphical settings on PC games is a negative side of it. For many of us, it's a positive one. You complain about not liking to use KB/M until you open Steam. You could think of it like starting up a console on your PC: you just set up Steam to open on Big Picture Mode and, from now on, you just have to click on the Steam icon to open it (BPM works with a controller).

But even with all of that, I still don't get why you need to try downplaying PC to users that are very happy with it. A lot of your complaints are positive things for many people and things like crashes, like some users here are saying, don't happen usually on their PCs.

I'm a PC gamer. I once had Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 together, but now only the PS3. I'm also a developer and I have an Android/iOS game. So I don't understand why someone would try to downplay something for everyone only because he's not happy with it for his own reasons.

I've read T2 Q2 2014 financial report and also read the conference call transcript. No where in any of those talks about GTAIV PC sales. Need a more reputable source than "Gamekult" sorry.

You read their Q2 2014 financial statements?????

HOLY SHIT HE'S FROM THE FUTURE GUYS

When people start buying $500 GPU's to play DOTA, you can remove them.
What the hell do $500 GPUs have to do with anything?

"BUT THE UI"

"Actually you can have the same UI for most multiplatform games."

"BUT THE CONFIGURING TIME AND CONSTANT CRASHES"

"Most games have automatic settings profiles, and you can even use external software to optimise for your system. You're overstating the frequency of crashes, and they're not exclusive to PCs anyway."

"BUT THE SALES ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD"

"This data shows that PC gaming makes more money than console gaming."

"OH WELL OKAY I AM WRONG THANK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY"

Dario ff

Banned
The quote says they asked the publisher itself ("In the figures we have been provided by the publisher"), not that it's on the financial report. The sales data itself was requested to present those charts you can see right there. I mentioned the financial report due to being the time period the article was from, so that helped me find the source I was looking for.

If you're just going to call them liars to disregard the source, there's not much else I can do. I will ask you to back up with actual sources all the posts you've done in this thread tho.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I put my 500 dollar video card to good use playing DOTA2 considering I downsample heavily for better IQ.

sun-drop

this is why PC gaming will NEVER take over consoles.

close box is why we wee the 2x leaps from uncharted to uncharted2 ..et all.

that would _NEVER_ happen on a pc without some form of HW upgrade.

period. not just ubi ..it's industry wide

Top Bottom