• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft support says that "if players didn’t buy loot boxes/crates, they would not be added into games".

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/Ubisoft-support-loot-crates-boxes#

https://steamcommunity.com/app/641080/discussions/0/1739968490558835150/#c1738848299720281493

"Hey,

As has been pointed out, these loot crates are purely cosmetic. I do appreciate why players feel the way they do about them (not a huge fan myself), however, as it was also pointed out, you can always just not buy them.

Ultimately, they're intended for players who want something to help them stand out from the crowd when playing online, or even just those who are big fans of the game and want to support us further.

Yes, it means that some players end up spending more on our games than others and that does result in increased profits for us. It also helps us to put more money into new titles and to understand what players look for in their games. If players simply didn't buy these crates, they would not be added into games in future.

All in all, loot crates / cosmetic items in general have been a huge boon for the Gaming Industry, being a driving factor in the increased popularity of Gaming over the past decade or so.

They aren't a bad thing if done right.

Your feedback on the topic is still very much appreciated as this is a hotly debated topic. I do hope you consider the impact it would actually have on your enjoyment of the game though."

Helios

Ultimately, they're intended for players who want something to help them stand out from the crowd when playing online, or even just those who are big fans of the game and want to support us further.
How about you just let people buy the skins outright instead? Instead you try to take advantage of the people that just want to support you by using predatory tactics? Just drop the act already. You're making games for whales, everyone knows that.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Most people don't. In this business model all it takes is a small percentage of whales to justify its existence. Be prepared for "Time Saver" microtransactions for Ubisoft games until the end of time, even if only 2% of the people buy them.

oh I see, so now its our fault (....partly true), but they started it!

if they didnt put them in the game in the first place people wouldnt be tempted to buy them. people can stand out in a crowd with free cosmetic items

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no shit!

the only reason so many games have it is because people are willing to pay for them. we can piss and moan all we like but the fact is the people buy them. they are a business first and foremost so they go where the money is. if everyone stopped buying them then they'd disappear....and be replaced with something that does sell.

oh I see, so now its our fault (....partly true), but they started it!

if they didnt put them in the game in the first place people wouldnt be tempted to buy them
you can't blame a business for trying out new ways to make money LMFAO.
don't put the blame on them. blame whoever is stupid enough to give them the money.

Last edited:

Elfstar

To be fair, gaming fans are probably the dumbest, most childish and exploitable consumers in all entertainment. And that says a lot.

To be fair, gaming fans are probably the dumbest, most childish and exploitable consumers in all entertainment. And that says a lot.

Pokemon Go is the best evidence to what you just said. People who buy a game that has no other paid DLC, microtransactions or loot-crates are a dying breed. I suspect older too since when I started gaming in the 1980s such concepts simply didn't exist. In fact I never heard of any of these things until around 10 years ago.

Iaterain

I like the games that you can buy and enjoy. If that game is good I would pay for a sequel or expansion. I hate the games that are designed to not be enjoyable or less enjoyable unless you don't spend a lot of money on it.

It is actually well-known that only minority of people (the whales) are buying lootboxes/DLC/in game currency, most of the gamers hate it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Shai-Tan

Banned
there's paying for customization then there's pseudo gambling to take advantage of people who can't stop themselves from buying until they get an artificially rare item. It's pretty clear that if they just priced items differently that they would be making less money than they would if they manipulate customers with a variety of psychological tricks that aren't much different from negative heat social networks are getting in their quest to maximize engagement regardless of how shitty it makes users feel

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
How about you just let people buy the skins outright instead? Instead you try to take advantage of the people that just want to support you by using predatory tactics? Just drop the act already. You're making games for whales, everyone knows that.

Loot boxes were already common in collectible board games and card games where you have to build an army or a deck. I used to play hero clix and they have mystery booster packs. I never bought these packs except when they required them to enter into certain tournaments. I always bought my pieces second hand so I can get what I want.

The problem with that is that they would stuff booster packs with rare items that cost a small fortune if bought second hand. To make matters worse, many of these pieces were nearly gamebreaking.

Call it the Christmas present effect or the lottery ticket effect, but some people like the mystery of what they will get- hoping they get that rare item.

It is one of the worst money making schemes ever created but it should remain totally legal and it should not be counted in the same category as gambling. (You never spend money and get nothing in return).

We as gamers need to just try and persuade people we know that this is a horrible way to spend money and continue to put pressure on companies that do this.

True. Cue BFV. They could spit in the face of gamers and tell them to buy it at 69.99€ for a bacterial expansion, and enough of them would.

Top Bottom