• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. People leave game studios all the time.

Well, I have to say that I don't appreciate the stuff he posted:

Factually incorrect, speculative and way too personal. Hence my need to put the record straight.

I'm not calling for a witch hunt for Pete Dodd. Whatever issues we have are between he and I. What I am doing is protecting my professional integrity by correcting comments which ended up being posted as news on games industry websites. Websites that are read by my potential employers. Really, I'm not too worried about people talking about me on forums - my work has been praised and criticised over the years by loads of people - what I'm concerned about is when posts on forums become personally damaging.

While you are here........

Can you tell us if the polish the game has gone through has resulted in the game better than its original vision ? Is the game Better than what they envisioned it to be at launch ?

jaxpunk

Oh dear. So much drama! Can't he just apologize to Col, take back his comments and move on?

No this is the internet things have to be blown out of proportion, there has to be a twitter witch hunt and finally someone has to lose their job.

Is this your first day here or what?

Finalow

You think RIOT is spending all that money they are making on hiring top tier talent to make skins for LoL?
yes, they might be. need more skins, LoL is all about skins ya know.

Just another 'insider' like Thuway. He has been wrong way more than he has been right.

DemonNite and Gopher are the only two people, who are in the capacity to post actual 'insider scoop'. Although, they don't do it for obvious reasons.
wasn't Verendus always right about his 'insider info'? Or I missed something.

He has.

nhTI2FD.png
couldn't he write that here? :-(
that means less bullshit for us, so thanks.

Pennywise

See you're only seeing one side of it. To me I see "doom and gloom sony is fucked", and then the other side "LOL hyperbole sony fine!"

People keep saying this happens all the time, and yet I haven't seen a single link to an article of this amount of people leaving one company at one from different studios. It's all linked to WWS and within a month of eachother, obviously something big is happening.

You know, he never painted a good picture of Sony, it was actually a desaster if the stuff about SSM is right.

The message behind it was clear, people leave all the time, once in a while a project fails or people leave for personal reasons.

And he explained that Sony had alof of structuring to do after they made alot of false decisions with the PS3.
You might renember the arcticle from Kotaku about Sony Japan...

It pretty much fit's the picture...
So we've got people leaving for personal reasons, creative differences and of course a new structure for the company.
This is nothing unusual...

MormaPope

Banned
Did he even have a source? Rereading it in light of the facts looks like wild speculation.

That's just my thoughts tho. Just really crappy for that dude to have his rep smeared when he's dealing w this family issue.

I got that feeling right away. "A bunch of people are just fucking up guys, Sony is just trimming the fat, this is smart really. Uncharted 4 is still going to be great!"

He never had the intention to speak badly about Col...he offered what he heard, that's what he always does.

Given that emotions are a little charged right now, I don't really want to weigh in too heavily and offer what may come across as an official NeoGAF position on this right now, but I really wanted to single out that this is not a good justification for offering hearsay. Without speaking specifically about mortimer, I think it should be pretty obvious that any legit or pseudo insiders have at least some responsibility to exercise discretion in what they pass along.

It's because there likely isn't a source. A lot of it appears to be speculation wrapped up in the aura of legitimacy.

This is very true but he still needs to apologize. Pulling crap like this is amateur league junior high levels of immaturity. It's going to be very interesting to see if he gets banned or not.

curb

Banned
Oh dear. So much drama! Can't he just apologize to Col, take back his comments and move on?

In all fairness, you see Pete's name a lot as a "GAF Insider" on N4G article links and the tweet could just be a response to a wider range of backlash and not solely about this particular incident.

That being said, if he hasn't apologized already he certainly should.

EDIT: Also, I only have so much sympathy for someone who puts them self out there giving information (true or not) in highly contentious fanboy waters. I currently have the tiniest piece of what could be technically considered insider information about a totally unrelated topic but I'm sure as hell not putting anything out there because my skin is way too thin.

MormaPope

Banned
You will unfortunately always get the personalities on any forum that go on a witch hunt and call for peoples head. What would have been ideal would be, first Mort perhaps not speculating to the point of personal negativity and 2, quelling the flames before they rise, he may have his reasons as to why he said what he did, he may even have a source. He should get involved and say what he needs to.

I would take a stab in the dark and assume he is pretty pissed at the minute, judging by his tweet, either at himself for causing direct friction with Col or a combination with that and the people in the thread that have had their tampon's set on fire.

There is genuinely sometimes a need to relax. Mort's post was initially useful and had a calming influence, he made a lot of sense, we need people here to radiate that sometimes and give rational explanations but im sure he will admit now he should have put the full stop after the blanket statements.

Dodgy, agenda oriented, or bad "insiders" in general are no different than astro turfers.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You know, he never painted a good picture of Sony, it was actually a desaster if the stuff about SSM is right.

The message behind it was clear, people leave all the time, once in a while a project fails or people leave for personal reasons.

And he explained that Sony had alof of structuring to do after they made alot of false decisions with the PS3.
You might renember the arcticle from Kotaku about Sony Japan...

It pretty much fit's the picture...
So we've got people leaving for personal reasons, creative differences and of course a new structure for the company.
This is nothing unusual...

The message behind it was "here's what happened! everybody else is wrong, because I'm right"

V_Ben

Banned
It's gross that someone had to come on here and defend their reputation, divulging incredibly personal information in the process to do so. It really shouldn't have gotten this far, but wow. What a mess.

viveks86

No this is the internet things have to be blown out of proportion, there has to be a twitter witch hunt and finally someone has to lose their job.

Is this your first day here or what?

Sorry that I don't have such a bleak view of the digital world. Just a handful of incidents does not make it a norm. And no, it's not my first day ;)

This is where his credibility lies for me as well. It's been so long since that tech demo...

Pfft, I have zero faith in that. Even if true, I'm expecting it to be cancelled because SE.

Yakuza Ishin localisation.
A third-party exclusive from a western publisher.

Let's see how those pan out first.

I'm not calling for a witch hunt for Pete Dodd. Whatever issues we have are between he and I. What I am doing is protecting my professional integrity by correcting comments which ended up being posted as news on games industry websites. Websites that are read by my potential employers. Really, I'm not too worried about people talking about me on forums - my work has been praised and criticised over the years by loads of people - what I'm concerned about is when posts on forums become personally damaging.
I respect you for what you did here. I saw the news getting spread on various website, and it sure made me annoyed that people were passing it off as news, even though it didn't exactly read as one.

Col – sorry about your son and best wishes on his treatment. The way you are handling this is very admirable. I’m sorry that you had to share something so personal to defend your reputation but this really shows a lot of character.

I’ll be a fan wherever you go.

I hope that this situation makes people start treating developers with a little more respect and not like machines that pump out games. I'm sure mort wasn't intending to disrespect anyone (it seemed he wanted to clear up rumors, ironically), but his willingness to make HUGE assumptions about a person's abilities and professional skills deserved to be called out for what it is.

I see this happening a lot lately. The Dark Souls 2 downgrade thread in particular reached disgusting levels of disrespect, with some posters calling the game's developers lazy, etc. Hopefully Col's honesty provides us with a better perspective on all of this.

This is very true but he still needs to apologize. Pulling crap like this is amateur league junior high levels of immaturity. It's going to be very interesting to see if he gets banned or not.
I agree, I didn't really mean that as an excuse, it's more of a point to say it's likely he's got no more real info on much of this than many here, so he should be more clear that's he speculating rather than letting people take his posts more seriously than they should be taken. The fact that people think he has "sources" on a lot of this though is sort of their own fault though; I'm sometimes amazed at the lack of skepticism I see sometimes on things like this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hello, all. <snip>
Col.

Wow. Best of luck to you Col and your family. Thanks for clearing the air. I think sometimes people on Gaf can get carried away with rumors and conjecture and it can get to the point where things need to be set straight.

We all need to realize that just because we're on an internet forum, that does not give us the right to say anything we want about anyone we want. Statements should be backed up with fact, not by utilization of an "insider" title appointed by a forum or site.

Good luck to you and your family Col!

EDIT: EviLore has ruled.

Palocca

Pfft, I have zero faith in that. Even if true, I'm expecting it to be cancelled because SE.

Yakuza Ishin localisation.
A third-party exclusive from a western publisher.

Let's see how those pan out first.

You're probably right, but younger me has been fiending for it for so long...

Then again, I couldn't really remember the rest of his predictions prior to your quote. It's been a while since he spilled the beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom