• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He stood by his bad info, which is never the smart thing to do. But humans being what we are, he probably felt pressure and reacted defensively and it didn't work out for the best. He should have just said "That's what I was told, I was wrong, I apologize." Checking his twitter, he was still repeating it as fact last night.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
can only speak for myself, but I'll use my $15 forum access tier and help the guy brainstorm some actual apologies.

TadkV.gif

Yoda

Leaking rumors which may or may not be true about things like release dates, tech specs, etc is all fair game imo (even if they are wrong sometimes). Leaking or in this case spreading a rumor about someone's career unless you are 100% sure it's true (and not a personal attack/libel as Col put it) is disgusting. I hate to see Mort go... but such actions can't just slide.

curb

Banned
Yeah I feel for the guy too. You can't deny that it is related, if not the sole reason for his tweet. I just don't understand why this needs to be the last straw. Just because a bunch of gaffers are asking for his head? I'm pretty sure Morty has been through a lot worse than that.

All he needs to do is sort this out with Col, make it public so that journalists pick that up as well and… problem solved! His tweet is an unnecessary distraction.

For sure. The denial of misinformation seems like exactly the kind of thing Mort doesn't want on the internet as per his site aspirations.

What an idiot. If he would have just apologized and moved on, it would have been something people would have gotten over. Instead he decides to tell everyone to fuck off and throw his dinner plate at the wall. Guy lost all respect, deserves no respect, and has shown himself to be a straight up piece of shit human being.

MormaPope

Banned
Please donate to Dodd Scientifics for more landmark games journalism.

Mort, how are you going to maintain costs for this website?

"I can't look into the future and see where the site is years from now, but what I can guarantee is if you jump on my crazy train it'll be one helluva ride."

What will be different on this site compared to others?

"I don't know the specifics yet, but what I can tell you is me and my editors are going to do things differently. There will be news, reviews, and previews written by me and others that want to make a difference in this industry."

This seems sketchy...

"Look, I'm a dreamer, not a realist, I'm not good with numbers but let me make it clear, things will be done differently on this site."

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, this thread really took a turn.

Sorry you had to even respond to this stuff Col, and I wish you the best with your situation.

Loudninja

He stood by his bad info, which is never the smart thing to do. But humans being what we are, he probably felt pressure and reacted defensively and it didn't work out for the best. He should have just said "That's what I was told, I was wrong, I apologize." Checking his twitter, he was still repeating it as fact last night.
He did apologize to Anthony N.Putson
https://twitter.com/AnthonyPutson/status/449459577588023296
https://twitter.com/AnthonyPutson/status/449548073354940416

Shame it ended this way

bob page

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

Sorry you had to deal with this ridiculous drama in your time of need. Best wishes to you and your family.

jayu26

famousmortimer got banned for the right reasons, however I will remember him for the all good information (right information) he got in the past. Someone will probably also post tweets from him from time to time.

People are also seeing why there are professional journalists out there who get paid for what they do. Some people are only out for the story. Others want to get the facts straight, go right for the source and tell the story with some mindset of keeping your integrity and keeping the integrity of those involved if still possible.

Gaming really does need a professional journalism area where you can go to read about things like this without worrying about the slant leaning one way or another due to outside influences and where the stories are some in a professional, purely news / information gathering / discussing manner.

It is sad that we do not have that still. One reason I miss my old gaming magazines.

makatk

Banned
with respect to col and i wish your son a healthy long life .

but all these posts calling out mort are really hostel and this might end up badly , unless yoshida himself ,or whomever in wws hr department gives us something , all we have here is cols word against whatever mort said .

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like this has been a sad thread all around.

Col, I hope this doesn't hurt your career, and I hope even more that your son gets better. Thoughts to you and your family. Anyway, back to lurking.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sorry to hear about what happened to Col and wish him all the best. However, even if Pete handled things less than stellar, seeing the amount of people in here baying for blood and making snide comments after the fact is a little scary and shows really how fickle some people on this forum really are. This really should serve as a lesson to any more insiders out there to be quiet and observe, lest you get caught up like Pete did.

Corto

but all these posts calling out mort are really hostel and this might end up badly , unless yoshida himself ,or whomever in wws hr department gives us something , all we have here is cols word against whatever mort said .

You're ridiculous. You need Yoshida to corroborate Col's son is indeed afflicted with nephrotic syndrome? Fuck off.

yeah let's bring all of sony into this to deflect mort's fuckup. i'll be tweeting all night

#answersformortimer2014

You're going to do well here.

Hold on, I got Shu on speed dial. Is proof of a text response enough or do I need to record to conversation? Unfortunately since Jack left, he won't respond to my calls anymore.

makatk

Banned
You're ridiculous. You need Yoshida to corroborate Col's son is indeed afflicted with nephrotic syndrome? Fuck off.

am not saying anything about his son condition , am just trying to make sense of morts post , and the possibility that his source was wrong , and why he chose to not reply here .

Sorry to hear about what happened to Col and wish him all the best. However, even if Pete handled things less than stellar, seeing the amount of people in here baying for blood and making snide comments after the fact is a little scary and shows really how fickle some people on this forum really are. This really should serve as a lesson to any more insiders out there to be quiet and observe, lest you get caught up like Pete did.

Being wrong can happen. Just say you were wrong and apologize. Don't continue to adhere to your info if it's proven false.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily blame mort for possibly being fed bad info but you need to draw the line somewhere. It's possible to look at a development studio or company from a neutral perspective but when you start talking about individuals then you need to be careful with what you say.

He handled it like a jackass though.

Fed bad info? He pulled it out of his ass as if it were fact.

Yeh, someone else told him that some of his info was on point but that the Jack Tretton stuff was wrong. He was also told last night that Col left for personal reasons and still wasn't having it...

For those that are interested, Dodds Scientifics is still going ahead though!

It probably wouldn't be as hostile if he didn't ask for money to run Fud.com

dreamfall

Sad to see things get so wildly out of hand.

There some departures at Sony right now that seem to have everyone on edge.

Col Rodgers, I hope for the best with your son and all your future projects.

Mort, damn. Caught in the crossfire, and whether it was speculative or not, it wasn't the best approach.

As for Justin Richmond, and Naughty Dog, I'd still like to know what's up.

why he chose to not reply here .
immaturity + ego + narcissism

it's not complex. but if people are having difficulty with it, I will be starting a kickstarter for my internet armchair analysis website. i've developed quite the reputation for armchair analysis on the internet, and I see a number of other armchair analyzers playing it safe because they are afraid of hurting their wallets. not me. i'm no businessman.

edit: i hope these red beanies are fireproof. whew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom