• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 171 |OT| Ruthless Agression

Status
Not open for further replies.
25 minutes of standing in front of each other flat footed = great fight
ibksm4NbxETUN5.png

I mean really, this match was just two bad boxers with a few leg kicks and takedowns.

h_a_t

So what? Are you saying that Hendrick's other fights won't be competitive? There's lots of good fights out there why jam the division with a rematch?

Didn't say it had to be immediate, just don't be surprised if it happens within a year.

Razdek

Banned
I can't believe Lombard had the balls to ask for a title fight after his shit performance. That guy can go take on a few more cans and retire as he doesn't deserve it.

Dysun

Blame the opponent for not being able to stop it.

GSP at least was very good at what he did. Hendricks and Lawler spent 20+ minutes displaying boxing that would make Butterbean hang his head.

GSP was very good at losing to Butterbean and retiring in shame, in that case

just saw the main event. if you told me that was footage of two training partners doing some sparring and dicking around i'd believe you. zero urgency, zero killer instinct.

Lawler got Hendricks sleepwalking, decides to keep doing his rope-a-dope bullshit.

Hendricks got Lawler doing the double stanky leg, shoots for the takedown and holds for dear life. when he could finish.

ADCC Mo > these last half a dozen shitty Ultimate cards.

Yeah, the Welterweight division is going to be like the Heavyweight division a few years ago. That title could get passed around.

Lawler could've won the fight if he didn't gas; pushed himself in the fifth (or tried harder). Well, Rory will probably get the next title shot. I, personally, think Woodley and McDonald should win one more time before getting that title shot.

Hendricks would wrestle the crap out of Diaz. And it's not like his stand up is bad either. He just looked a little poor today.

That was a poor showcase of skills for a title fight.

Hendricks is a shitty champ. GSP atleast had the skillz to pay da billz!

JUst watched the main fight. What did I miss?

That was a poor showcase of skills for a title fight.

Hendricks is a shitty champ. GSP atleast had the skillz to pay da billz!

JUst watched the main fight. What did I miss?

GSP lost the fight to Hendricks.

GSP hardly finished people. His wrestling was ridiculous (for not being classically trained) and his jab was decent. Definitely a great athlete and dedicated to his craft. But he's not a freak like Anderson, Jones, etc. Definitely was the UFC's top draw despite what Dana says. Probably the biggest ambassador and representative of the sport. I think the break is good.

Not trying to take anything away from GSP but it's not like he murdered Dos Santos for five rounds (twice), cleaned out a competitive light heavy weight division, etc. Apples to Oranges I know.

Honestly this whole bullshit about rating takedowns as the hottest shit ever is draining the sport. It's draining me out. A takedown should be seen as a tool to switch the terms of the fight, not something that has more weight than striking.

Seriously fuck the base of the pyramid.

GSP hardly finished people. His wrestling was ridiculous (for not being classically trained) and his jab was decent. Definitely a great athlete and dedicated to his craft. But he's not a freak like Anderson, Jones, etc. Definitely was the UFC's top draw despite what Dana says. Probably the biggest ambassador and representative of the sport. I think the break is good.

Not trying to take anything away from GSP but it's not like he murdered Dos Santos for five rounds (twice), cleaned out a competitive light heavy weight division, etc. Apples to Oranges I know.

Have you been diagnosed?

Have you been diagnosed?

With 20/20 vision? Yes. What's your sarcastic point?

When was the last time GSP finished anyone? When did he, Captain Safe Fight, really not rely on takedowns (which one poster vehemently thinks is killing he sport, I disagree) and jabs?

As much crap as Jones gets, he finishes most of his fights (Evans and Gustafson exceptions). He went through some really tough competition like Machida, Belfort, Sonnen, Shogun, Gustafson, etc.

Cain is tough to gauge because of how shallow heavy weight is. But Cigano is easily the #2 guy and could clean up the division and he got destroyed.

I gave GSP his props. Popularity wise, he's the #1 guy in MMA. For a LONG time, he was the top welterweight. But most would say Hendricks won their last fight.

charsace

Honestly this whole bullshit about rating takedowns as the hottest shit ever is draining the sport. It's draining me out. A takedown should be seen as a tool to switch the terms of the fight, not something that has more weight than striking.

Seriously fuck the base of the pyramid.

Its hard to score a takedown and they can end fights. They should be worth way more than strikes.

kamspy

Why is the UFC bound of State Athletic Judges? Why doesn't this apply to other sports? How does the WWE do their licensing? Could the UFC change some things about how they apply for venues to bypass some of the regulatory crap? Like if they billed it as performance art or something and implement the scoring system they see fit.

As for the fights,

OSP's opponent made it too easy for him. Hard to gauge how good he really is.

Why was Jake Shields ranked #6?

Diego Sanchez needs to be matched in circus show fights with other bangers now just for the spectacle. I think he can still get fights if he accepts that role. Get him to fight War Machine is some Fox Sports 1 main event in some crazy time zone. Shit like that.

Sanchez might have helped, but Jury seems interestingly long for a LW. I'll be watching for his next fight.

Woodly's potential is scary. He physically broke Condit. I know that's subjective as fuck, but I don't see Condit's ACL blowing out when other guys take him down hard.

Hendricks seems beatable with the right matchup. I don't know if I love or hate the fight with Lawler. There was a ton of heart, but for a Championship the fight seemed to lack technical prowess. Those stubby little legs on Jonny are gonna get cut down by the right kicker. I don't think Robbie knew how much he was hurting him with the leg kicks when he finally started throwing him.

As far as that last takedown by Hendricks, I thought it saved Lawler from a KO. He had both hands covering his face right before it and his knees were wobbly as hell. I had it 3-2 Lawler with Hendricks winning the last round. I thought he could have put him down with punches if he didn't shoot that last takedown. At the time I thought it cost him the fight and we'd have a really butthurt press conference.

Prelims were especially awful and Story got robbed. Not that it matters since he'll never contend and Kelvin might. So meh, I guess it's a net win for the sport.

Really need to find a way to get that scoring done in house. I have a hard time accepting that it's lawfully impossible.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Can named ruthless fought safe.

Big rig got ruthless out on his feet and shoots for TDs like SP.

Viofriend pls. Robert the roofless had big hig beeping all night. Johnny was knocking on valhallas doors for 3 rounds. He shot for that double cause he didnt wanna get manhoeffd.

manfestival

dos santos didnt get murdered twice... he got laid on twice

Its hard to score a takedown and they can end fights. They should be worth way more than strikes.

this makes zero sense. seriously chars.

how the fuck should a takedown be rated higher than a hook that busts you open. 99% of takedowns do zero damage, they only serve as position switch.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Viofriend pls. Robert the roofless had big hig beeping all night. Johnny was knocking on valhallas doors for 3 rounds. He shot for that double cause he didnt wanna get manhoeffd.
Ruthless 1 had Hendricks on queer street for 3 minutes of the third and never went for the kill. He played it safe.

Hendricks won the championship round on his feet busting up ruthless 1. Not sure why you mad.

Robby can look in the mirror for blame.

this makes zero sense. seriously chars.

how the fuck should a takedown be rated higher than a hook that busts you open. 99% of takedowns do zero damage, they only serve as position switch.

We just need to differentiate between dragged down to the mat in a way that does no damage, and takedowns like the one Travis hit on Condit. Watch the fighter being taken down... if they grit their teeth and prepare for the impact of hitting the canvas, that's definitely the kind of takedown that should score.

Whether we score Jonny's last takedown or not, he wins round five. There are a number of fighters that hit punishing takedowns, and those should get more recognition than your 'dragged to the mat' variety.

We just need to differentiate between dragged down to the mat in a way that does no damage, and takedowns like the one Travis hit on Condit. Watch the fighter being taken down... if they grit their teeth and prepare for the impact of hitting the canvas, that's definitely the kind of takedown that should score.

Whether we score Jonny's last takedown or not, he wins round five. There are a number of fighters that hit punishing takedowns, and those should get more recognition than your 'dragged to the mat' variety.

Even then though, they shouldn't be weighed so heavily as to win a close round. I mean dudes who get rocked and dropped multiple times during a round and survive don't get an 8. And even a slammed takedown rarely does equivalent damage to rocking an opponent.

If you want to score "power" takedowns, they should then be equivalent to strikes.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ruthless 1 had Hendricks on queer street for 3 minutes of the third and never went for the kill. He played it safe.

Hendricks won the championship round on his feet busting up ruthless 1. Not sure why you mad.

Robby can look in the mirror for blame.

I dont know what you were watching breh. I saw one dude staying in the pocket and banging when he hurt the other dude. Then the other dude allegedly hurts the other dude and goes for a takedown instead of biting down on the mouthpiece and winging bungalows.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
That's how you throw a leg kick.
I'm no expert, but he has his guard hand down, his balancing hand awkwardly pawing in front of him instead of thrown behind for extra force and he looks perhaps a little too bent over at the waist. It was a good kick, but the only reason it finished the fight was because Condit's knee (on his tattooed leg, the one not being kicked) was already blown out from the takedown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom