• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApharmdX

Banned
It's extremely common for fighters to go for a takedown if they're getting lit up on the feet, and that includes strikers. Much of the time, it's instinctual. It doesn't say anything about how much heart they have or don't have, but what their body is telling them to do at that specific point in time.

This idea that Conor is somehow cowardly for shooting for a takedown (and even sillier, for tapping to a locked choke) boggles the mind. I can only imagine that this mentality is coming from newer MMA fans. There's nothing interesting or badass about going unconscious or breaking an arm because you're tougher than you are intelligent. Big Nog's arm to this day is still fucked up because he didn't tap to Mir's armbar and got his shit broke. Ain't nothing cool about that.

It was a really awful attempt at a takedown and was stupid besides. It's not defensible as a strategy, going to the ground where Nate had a huge advantage either on top or on the bottom! Conor should have just kept it standing, maybe gone for the clinch against the cage or circled away until he recovered.

I posted after the one that you quoted, but in a nutshell I agree that guys should think about their safety as far as tapping to submissions. Especially with joint locks! However, with striking I regard it a little differently. You fight until you cannot continue.

of course it's desperation, but it's also a strategy. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Meisha's strategy in the fifth round of a fight she was losing was also out of desperation. She knew she had to lunge in for a take down and risk getting counter punched by a counter puncher because it was her only shot at losing the fight. I'm not denying Conor going for a take down on a superior grappler wasn't desperation.

It was a bad strategy, then. Miesha had a big advantage on the ground, and damn near finished the fight in the second round. It was a calculated gamble. Conor didn't have an advantage on the ground even if he were on top. Nate has a good offensive, active guard that, even if Conor wasn't rocked, would have given him fits.

It was a really awful attempt at a takedown and was stupid besides. It's not defensible as a strategy, going to the ground where Nate had a huge advantage either on top or on the bottom! Conor should have just kept it standing, maybe gone for the clinch against the cage or circled away until he recovered.

I posted after the one that you quoted, but in a nutshell I agree that guys should think about their safety as far as tapping to submissions. Especially with joint locks! However, with striking I regard it a little differently. You fight until you cannot continue.

It was a bad strategy, then. Miesha had a big advantage on the ground, and damn near finished the fight in the second round. It was a calculated gamble. Conor didn't have an advantage on the ground even if he were on top. Nate has a good offensive, active guard that, even if Conor wasn't rocked, would have given him fits.

of course it is, but in that situation, being rocked with no where to go, any strategy is super high risk. You can take the chance of staying on the feet and trying to box your way out of it but most likely he would have gotten stopped on strikes. Again, you are comparing Miesha and Conor's situation directly, which wasn't what I was trying to do. Conor didn't take the fight to the ground because he thought "I need to finish this on the ground" like Miesha probably did. That's not what I am saying.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's extremely common for fighters to go for a takedown if they're getting lit up on the feet, and that includes strikers. Much of the time, it's instinctual. It doesn't say anything about how much heart they have or don't have, but what their body is telling them to do at that specific point in time.

This idea that Conor is somehow cowardly for shooting for a takedown (and even sillier, for tapping to a locked choke) boggles the mind. I can only imagine that this mentality is coming from newer MMA fans. There's nothing interesting or badass about going unconscious or breaking an arm because you're tougher than you are intelligent. Big Nog's arm to this day is still fucked up because he didn't tap to Mir's armbar and got his shit broke. Ain't nothing cool about that.
lol

Conor put it well in the post fight conference when he said something along the lines of "Diaz kept his cool and went into auto-pilot while I went into panic mode"

Thats exactly what happened when he went for the takedown. He got rocked, panicked and went for the takedown. He wasnt ready for someone like Diaz who can absorb his punches like that. Instead of picking his shots and going for points and trying to wear him down, he went for the knockout. But he doesnt have enough power to knock Diaz out so he gassed himself and it cost him the fight.

see5harp

I think watching Nate take his best shots and keep coming did discourage him though. Might've sapped his energy some. There came a point in the fight where you could see Conor thinking fuck, this guy's still here? Still boxing efficiently, still landing.

I think Conor was counting on Nate not being in shape, which is why he accepted 170. Not the best thing to bank on with the Diaz brothers doing triathlons and shit.

I don't think there was ever a realization that he was in over his head. Maybe he was discouraged after seeing him bloody but not in the least bit hurt but he was throwing effective punches and moving well until a single straight left hand basically put him on wobble.

-MD-

F6mh4eF.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
He tapped to an arm triangle when his opponent was still in half guard... so yeah pretty much.

Eddie Bravo on Joe Rogan's podcast said you can make people tap from that position if you get it on right. If you pass guard you lock it in super hard, but a pro should still have enough skill to get the finish from half guard according to him.

zsswimmer

Eddie Bravo on Joe Rogan's podcast said you can make people tap from that position if you get it on right. If you pass guard you lock it in super hard, but a pro should still have enough skill to get the finish from half guard according to him.

It was strange to see how much heat he caught from tapping to that. People just had this binary thought that if its not in side control it should'nt choke you out. If the von flu choke can work then that half guard arm triangle was most definitely doable. I think because of him being a good looking young fighter that got a lot of press quickly it made it easier to trash his ground game.

jay23

I'm happy Diaz won but don't understand everyone being upset at Connor. Who cares if a fighter is not humble. I enjoy McGregor's antics and I think he's one of the most interesting fighters in the UFC. Some of the shit he says is hilarious so I hope he continues doing what he does. Plus he's laying down the blueprint for getting paid big money.

JB1981

I have watched this fight a few times now and until those last 2 min of the 2nd Conor was winning easily. His conditioning seemed really subpar. He looked kind of gassed after the first round. Seemed to be putting all he had into his left hand and wheel kicks. I hope he learns from his mistakes, keeps up movement, conserves his energy and picks his shots better in the future. You have to do that against a bigger man. Anyone else would have gone down in my opinion

see5harp

There are plenty of dudes with chins in the ufc. Can you anyone see mcgregor having a chance against a dude like Lawler at 170? mcgregor was precise with his power left hand but wasn't really stringing together any shots.

Reg

Banned
I'd pay good money to see Conor fight a natural welterweight (not a guy like Diaz who moved up from lightweight). Conor vs. Lawler or Rory MacDonald would be a great laugh.

I have watched this fight a few times now and until those last 2 min of the 2nd Conor was winning easily. His conditioning seemed really subpar. He looked kind of gassed after the first round. Seemed to be putting all he had into his left hand and wheel kicks. I hope he learns from his mistakes, keeps up movement, conserves his energy and picks his shots better in the future. You have to do that against a bigger man. Anyone else would have gone down in my opinion
funny how a lot of diaz opponents end up gassing when they normally are well conditioned.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Weird as it may sound, this loss is probably the best thing that could have happened to him at this point.

Reg

Banned
funny how a lot of diaz opponents end up gassing when they normally are well conditioned.

Yup. In the Fox post-fight interview, Diaz talks about how his opponents can't handle the pressure he puts on them. And we're talking about a guy who took the fight on short notice as well.

Cracklox

Yay!!. The dickhead I like beat up the dickhead I don't. Nate the God!

I literally got off the couch and cheered when Conner was in trouble and shot in for the takedown. Knew it wasn't going to last long from there. Good to see Connor get knocked down a few notches too

I dunno. Thought it was pretty close up until Nate landed the left that turned everything. Connor was landing the harder shots, but Nate was Stockton slapping him around pretty good too and landed the higher volume.

Takuan

Yay!!. The dickhead I like beat up the dickhead I don't. Nate the God!

I literally got off the couch and cheered when Conner was in trouble and shot in for the takedown. Knew it wasn't going to last long from there. Good to see Connor get knocked down a few notches too

I dunno. Thought it was pretty close up until Nate landed the left that turned everything. Connor was landing the harder shots, but Nate was Stockton slapping him around pretty good too and landed the higher volume.
I knew it was done when Nate served Conor that two piece, giving him wobbly legs. I wanna say Conor would've fared better if he had cardio, but few men on the planet have better fighting cardio than a Diaz.

Watch Nate get popped for MJ.

Rafael dos Anjos' strength and conditioning guy Nick Curson said he thinks conditioning is at least 90% of the difference in MMA fights.

He said that after Joe Rogan offered that it's a big part.

Against Petis, dos Anjos didn't really drop off in aggression and it went the distance.

I'm happy Diaz won but don't understand everyone being upset at Connor. Who cares if a fighter is not humble. I enjoy McGregor's antics and I think he's one of the most interesting fighters in the UFC. Some of the shit he says is hilarious so I hope he continues doing what he does. Plus he's laying down the blueprint for getting paid big money.

I wouldn't call him humble, but he respects his opponents in the cage. He will hug them after the fight or thank them or whatever. He asked Diaz if he wanted to touch gloves before the fight. All the talk is just to drum up business, but he's a true athlete at heart, unlike someone like Rousey for example that actually looks down on her opponents and feels animosity towards them.

I'm really interested in who he's gonna fight next. He was completely on point when he said Jose needed at least 9 months to a year to recover, so he understood if he didn't wanna fight, but since he tossed his name on the ring saying he would fight anytime, anywhere, it's a bit of a bitch move to back down when they give you the call.

So maybe Frankie gets it?

I was thinking and I think the loss makes his next fight actually even more attractive, not less. I mean I can't wait to see if he can make a come back and how the next fight goes. If he loses that one though, then yeah he's in trouble.

Just got caught up. It's natural that Conor got submitted on the ground. I just wish he hadn't been schooled on his feet to get there. I don't know why he defended so poorly. That quote about 'panic mode' makes most sense. Pity.

Edit, and congrats to Nate, haha. Fuckwit.

Just got caught up. It's natural that Conor got submitted on the ground. I just wish he hadn't been schooled on his feet to get there. I don't know why he defended so poorly. That quote about 'panic mode' makes most sense. Pity.

Edit, and congrats to Nate, haha. Fuckwit.

His hands are so low.

Yup. In the Fox post-fight interview, Diaz talks about how his opponents can't handle the pressure he puts on them. And we're talking about a guy who took the fight on short notice as well.

They pressure and constanttly disrupt their opponents tempo. Getting clipped mid swing and having your movement disrupted over and over again, not being able to settle into a rhythm and always flinching/slipping away from shots drains the gas tank.

Conor would need much better footwork and a more conservative approach to last against Nate, let alone beat him.

Conor and his coach are now calling for Aldo. Poor Frankie.

It was pretty obvious from what he said after the fight that it isn't going to be Frankie(I don't think Conor wants any part of Frankie).

He needs to realize that he's not going to smoke Aldo like he did the first time so that's a tough fight too.

So who does Nate get next???

Is Dickhead Dana going to show him respect and let him fight dos Anjos or Lawler for their belts or have him fight a top contender instead???

I don't see him beating dos Anjos at all but him and Lawler would be exciting shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom