• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

highrider

Banned
Good fight. McGregor hit him a few times but I think it rattled him that Diaz was shaking it off. I said before the fight that I edged slightly towards McGregor but I thought Diaz was a dangerous opponent for him. I respect and like both fighters so it's all good.

I thought McGregor took the L with humility and gave Diaz respect. To me that shows character.

dem

Faber on McGregor las year...

"I wouldn't mind fighting Conor. I'll tell you what -- he's got something that a lot of guys don't have," Faber explained (via FoxSports). "Something a guy like me doesn't have, a guy like Chad Mendes doesn't have, a guy like Frankie Edgar has, and that's the instincts and willingness to give up when he's about to get knee barred. I wouldn't give up. Come on ... His knee was in danger of having some pain inflicted on it and he was like, 'I'm out.'"

If his body is in danger, he gives up," Faber said. "Can you teach that? Can you take that away? I don't think so. That's an instinct. He will give up."

I personally think not tapping is one of the stupidest things a fighter can do, including not tapping to strikes. Some years ago Lawler damn nearly killed the older Rua brother because the ref wouldn't stop the fight. Even Hughes complained to the ref about it afterwards. It's perfectly okay to tap in such situations or when a submission is locked, such as Diaz on McGregor. I think what people are trying to say is that McGregor just gave up and didn't even try to fight off the sub. He turned, he got punched once and he tapped after a bit of a squeeze.

I like this Mcgregor so much better. I hope he tones down the Lucky Charms, arrogance and circus nonsense and comes back more focused on improving his game and does less dancing around in tight plaid suits and talking about money all the time.

Like or dislike him for what he is. He is not gonna change. He talked about money in that post. He said that he was gonna keep talking about money in that post. He is still the same arrogant fighter, but can't say a lot of the crap he usually says after getting tooled, stockton slapped, and RNCed. IMO he is still delusional thinking he can go up to 170 and do well there. He fought a natural LW guy on 10 days notice at both their natural weight. The going up two weight classes is a bit misleading because of that. He still thinks he can dominate both LW and WW and, in his mind, this fight hasn't changed that, he just has to make the adjustments he talked about.

I'm all for seeing this guy getting constantly humbled, so why not put him against a natural WW after his championship fight at FW? Lombard would suffice, he is not a top 10 WW and has no ground game either. Or if he wants a top 10, put him up against Maia or Brown.

Reading through this thread would fool anyone into thinking that you were the biggest Conor nutrider on earth, so my bad for thinking so.

I'm genuinely curious though, how you could hate the Diaz brothers yet root for a shitheel, possibly diet racist like McGregor??

Can't blame you because I thought the same.

3N16MA

Banned
Conor shouldn't even think about going to 170 and fighting the top guys in that division. I don't care about his tweaks and being more efficient. I know he has to say that it's still a possibility but I can't take him seriously.

-MD-

Conor shouldn't even think about going to 170 and fighting the top guys in that division. I don't care about his tweaks and being more efficient. I know he has to say that it's still a possibility but I can't take him seriously.

Everyone in the top 5 would make light work of Conor.

155 is his future.

That's right. It's better to never give up, even when the choke is in tight and you're about to go out.

You know what else is a good idea? Playing footsie with Palhares.

It's always better to let a guy tear your knee to pieces so that you can't fight again for 12-18 months than to tap and take the inevitable loss. Dat Team Half a Male logic.

Everyone in the top 5 would make light work of Conor.

155 is his future.

I will say top 15.

I do agree that he could possibly do well at LW though, Dos Anjos and Nurmagomedov are horrible matchups for him, as well as is Diaz obviously. However I think he can do well against someone like Barboza. Actually I would like to see them fight, I think that could be a fun fight.

I will say top 15.

I do agree that he could possibly do well at LW though, Dos Anjos and Nurmagomedov are horrible matchups for him, as well as is Diaz obviously. However I think he can do well against someone like Barboza. Actually I would like to see them fight, I think that could be a fun fight.

The first 3 rows would be 10 degrees cooler from all the spinning kick techniques.

Got all the respect in the world for Conor, not many fighters have the balls to go up 1 division let alone 2, espically a champion. That takes guts. MMA fans are are the most fair weather fans ever. Connor did what GSP and Anderson should have done years ago.

At 155, Conor vs Perttis would be the fight to make. Might give the edge to Pettis due to a better submission game

3N16MA

Banned
even if Conor would have won this fight him seriously competing at 170 was a pipe dream.

He would have been given a title shot against Lawler. All signs pointed to him going down that path and it seemed Dana was on board.

I agree that it was a pipe dream that he could actually compete.

The Beard

Got all the respect in the world for Conor, not many fighters have the balls to go up 1 division let alone 2, espically a champion. That takes guts. MMA fans are are the most fair weather fans ever. Connor did what GSP and Anderson should have done years ago.

At 155, Conor vs Perttis would be the fight to make. Might give the edge to Pettis due to a better submission game

Same here, tons of respect for Connor. Also, props to Nate for taking that fight on such short notice, absorbing all those left hands to the face, and managing to pull off a win.

Connor's post fight press conference made me fall in love with the guy. Humble, no excuses, recognized his mistakes and what he needs to improve on, and he gave Nate credit. Connor may have lost a few fair weather fans after that loss, but he also gained a few new fans including me.

He would have been given a title shot against Lawler. All signs pointed to him going down that path and it seemed Dana was on board.

I agree that it was a pipe dream that he could actually compete.

From Dana's post fight interview, he was pretty much already drafting the contract in round 1. Then he told Frankie that basically Connor can do whatever he wants and maybe he wants to go and fight at even a higher weight class instead of facing Frankie.

Lokbob

Really happy for Nate. I don’t really like the Connor that is promoting the fights with his obnoxious trash talk but you can see he’s a great guy when he’s normal.
He’s fun to watch inside the octagon, so whatever. I hope he fights Edgar next.

jay23

Don't be scared homie

OicCfO6.jpg

Oxn

Same here, tons of respect for Connor. Also, props to Nate for taking that fight on such short notice, absorbing all those left hands to the face, and managing to pull off a win.

Connor's post fight press conference made me fall in love with the guy. Humble, no excuses, recognized his mistakes and what he needs to improve on, and he gave Nate credit. Connor may have lost a few fair weather fans after that loss, but he also gained a few new fans including me.

Boxing guy here, and I was never a fan of UFC/MMA. Connor made me a fan with this fight. Love his trash talking because he does it well, and make no excuses once he lost.

I will definitely keep an eye on him. Still not a fan of MMA but this dude is entertaining, in and out of the ring.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shouldn't be a surprise but I think in these relatively small early days of MMA audiences still make the mistake of comparison to boxing which by its nature is more predictable and less prone to upsets. Holm, McGregor etc are predictable outcomes of a more complex sport. Tyson etc dominated in a sport with fewer possible moves and styles, the difference between Chess and Go, but still a sport in its infancy.

Spy

Few things I want to mention in this thread then I'm likely done here.

-Conor didn't do something crazy by supposedly going up two weight classes. He was fighting at 155 because that's his natural weight class and there were many rumors (including from Dana White) that he would no longer be able to make 145 because it was too difficult of a cut. Nate Diaz is also a natural lightweight. Because the fight was on short notice, they agreed to fight at 170 as it would be unfair to make someone cut the proper amount of weight in such a short period of time. Conor McGregor was the 145 AND 155 pound Cage Warriors champion before he joined the UFC.

-Conor is NOT humble in victory and and defeat. Have you people heard the things he says about his opponents shortly after he fought them? Watch the Go Big press conference and see how he acted towards Chad Mendes, if you think that's being humble in victory, I don't know what to say. Who's not "humble" in defeat? There's nothing you can say? You lost.

Summary:

Two lightweight fighters decided not to cut weight and fought. Conor is not a humble person. If you actually follow MMA, you would know this.

Boxing guy here, and I was never a fan of UFC/MMA. Connor made me a fan with this fight. Love his trash talking because he does it well, and make no excuses once he lost.

I will definitely keep an eye on him. Still not a fan of MMA but this dude is entertaining, in and out of the ring.

I wonder if he'll continue the trash talking after this loss. He might as well, right, or would his ego be a bit bruised that you'll see him relax off of being cocky?

Ric Flair

Banned
Shouldn't be a surprise but I think in these relatively small early days of MMA audiences still make the mistake of comparison to boxing which by its nature is more predictable and less prone to upsets. Holm, McGregor etc are predictable outcomes of a more complex sport. Tyson etc dominated in a sport with fewer possible moves and styles, the difference between Chess and Go, but still a sport in its infancy.

I don't disagree that boxing is a simpler sport in that there are less fighting styles to worry about, but Tyson was a freak of nature. He would have dominated the UFC just as much as he did boxing. His punches landed like hammers on other dudes skulls.

MrSerrels

-Conor didn't do something crazy by supposedly going up two weight classes. He was fighting at 155 because that's his natural weight class and there were many rumors (including from Dana White) that he would no longer be able to make 145 because it was too difficult of a cut. Nate Diaz is also a natural lightweight. Because the fight was on short notice, they agreed to fight at 170 as it would be unfair to make someone cut the proper amount of weight in such a short period of time. Conor McGregor was the 145 AND 155 pound Cage Warriors champion before he joined the UFC.

-Conor is NOT humble in victory and and defeat. Have you people heard the things he says about his opponents shortly after he fought them? Watch the Go Big press conference and see how he acted towards Chad Mendes, if you think that's being humble in victory, I don't know what to say. Who's not "humble" in defeat? There's nothing you can say? You lost.

Summary:

Two lightweight fighters decided not to cut weight and fought. Conor is not a humble person. If you actually follow MMA, you would know this.

-- Diaz has a lot of fights at welterweight. A lot. He's fought at that weight and talked multiple times about going back up because the 155 cut is too difficult.
-- Do you seriously think Nate could make Featherweight? Of course he couldn't.
-- Conor cuts a lot to make FW, but many fighters cut more.
-- You're crazy if you think Nate and Conor weighed the same on fight day. There was a very obvious size disadvantage there.

Oxn

Summary:

I think thats just really for the cameras though.

I wonder if he'll continue the trash talking after this loss. He might as well, right, or would his ego be a bit bruised that you'll see him relax off of being cocky?

I feel he will keep the trash talking, but minus those funny walks he does flailing his arms with his chest out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't disagree that boxing is a simpler sport in that there are less fighting styles to worry about, but Tyson was a freak of nature. He would have dominated the UFC just as much as he did boxing. His punches landed like hammers on other dudes skulls.

Tyson spent a decade avoiding fighters who matched him with reach and legs. He fought a lot of bums and Buster Douglas was no freak accident. There's a very good reason he avoided Holyfield for so long. And the result was inevitable. One of the best for sure but also overrated and incorrectly deified.

Ric Flair

Banned
Tyson spent a decade avoiding fighters who matched him with reach and legs. He fought a lot of bums and Buster Douglas was no freak accident. There's a very good reason he avoided Holyfield for so long. And the result was inevitable. One of the best for sure but also overrated and incorrectly deified.

Ahhh, I don't know. Buster Douglas didn't have the same kind of drive against Holyfield that he had going into the Tyson fight, pretty sure he went into the fight something like 20 pounds heavier than he was against Tyson. I think Buster had potential to be a fantastic boxer but didn't give a shit enough once he reached pay day, and fair enough for that. Tyson was supposed to fight Holyfield in the early 90s when he was still king but his life spiraled out of control around that time.

edit: That all being said, I think guys like Holyfield and Foreman would have done really well in MMA as well. They had a certain heart and drive you just don't see anymore in any professional sport.

-- Diaz has a lot of fights at welterweight. A lot. He's fought at that weight and talked multiple times about going back up because the 155 cut is too difficult.
-- You're crazy if you think Nate and Conor weighed the same on fight day. There was a very obvious size disadvantage there.

Last night was Nate Diaz's 5th fight at welterweight and his first fight at welterweight since a 2011 loss to Rory MacDonanld.

Spy

Before yesterday, 4 of his 31 fights were at welterweight, that's a lot? You must have went to school with the Diaz brothers. He fought at welterweight for a total of 10 months. Never once has Nate said 155 is too difficult of a cut. On the flip side, previous to Conor joining the UFC, 11 out of his 14 fights were at lightweight and his very last clash before he joined the UFC was at 155.

Please tell me where I said this.

Pounds, maybe. Not a lot cut that kind of body fat percentage and that's what matters most. How many look like this at weigh ins?

tEyKbM3.jpg

If Nate weighed so much more, why did he weigh in at 169 and not 171 which he could have? They are both natural 155 pound fighters.

I'll end this with a quote.

"In true warfare weight is not an issue. I have fought bigger men before." - Conor McGregor

Nate's not a WW by Western fight standards. Lawler, Gastellum, Hendricks, Howard, Larkin, etc.. are WW. These are guys that walk around a lot heavier than Nate does and are way bigger on fight night than Nate was last night. He's a LW just as Conor is.

-MD-

True welterweights walk around at like 195lbs+, Nate probably sits closer to 180.

Did you make this part up? He never said that.

Conor is on the brink of death during that cut, he's about as extreme as it gets.

They're both natural 155ers, this was like Conor taking a fight at 155 and losing, they just didn't cut weight.

nilbog21

Banned
man, nate literally sounds retarded in interviews. He's so honest, can't help but feel bad

I've watched this fight like 10 times. insane fight

YaGaMi

Dude will most likely be a little cocky but may eventually calm down as he's going to be taking more "L"s during his career. He should avoid comparing himself to Mayweather as he will never be on top the way Mayweather has for such a long time. The casuals will eventually lose interest in him.

zewone

Holly's fight was extremely boring to watch, just like her other UFC fights before Ronda.

People hyped her up so much. Called this after the UFC 193 win.

not upset, more baffled at the "Holm = unbeatable" talk.

Well, if Rousey were to lose, it would remind me of Anderson vs Weidman. Someone who is just the antithesis to your style. Match ups make fights and maybe Holm's style dominates Ronda's.

But in all honesty, I can see Cat or Miesha dethroning Holm.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't connor at least 3 inches shorter and 3 inches less reach. Nate also has a broader body type. No way they are both 155 pound fighters.

stn

There's no money to be made in being "humble" in this sport, lol. You're catering to an audience that likes to see two people beat the crap out of each other. McGregor could be the most naturally humble guy in the world, yet I'm sure the corporate wigs behind the UFC would insist he talk trash in order to hype up the fight. What, a bunch of high-testosterone, tattooed fighters are going to suddenly shake hands and talk pleasantly? Wrong sport.

dem

Isn't connor at least 3 inches shorter and 3 inches less reach. Nate also has a broader body type. No way they are both 155 pound fighters.

Well Nate fights at 155... and Conor kills himself to make 145...

So do the math

Jon Jones is 6'4 and Cormier is 5'11
Jones has way more reach
Are they not the same weight class?

zewone

I don't think it's possible for Nate to make 145lbs, where Conor is the champ.

The fact that Conor can tells you that he's definitely the smaller fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom