• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: 79% Of Street Fighter 6 physical sales sales were on PS5

Luigi Mario

Also before anyone goes further: no, digital will not help close the gap in Xbox's favor by a significant amount.

UK market data shows PS has an almost 2:1 advantage over Xbox for digital software sales. The very, very few examples where digital helped Xbox close the gap are with games of questionable quality (and no PS marketing deals) like Saint's Row.

At best I would expect total platform split in the UK to be 80/20 in favor of PlayStation, at least console-wise. It might look something closer to 50/30/20 PS/PC/Xbox or 55/30/15 PS/PC/Xbox once PC storefronts are added in.
Don’t forget that the UK might be Microsoft’s best region this gen when it comes to market share between the consoles. You can imagine how it looks like in other European countries where Xbox is not as popular.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
That data is stupid as the game doesn't exist on Xbox one.
I guess people fall for these stupid data
The game sold 13% on PS4, what percentage do you think it would sell on Xbox One? 50%?
RlZ6x8X.jpg

feynoob

Banned
The game sold 13% on PS4, what percentage do you think it would sell on Xbox One? 50%?
RlZ6x8X.jpg
It's boxed sales for this data.
You need both physical and digital combined.

Box physical is limited to how much copies the publisher makes.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But is this the case ? We don't even have digital sales ?

Well there is also the opposite effect. I tried Wo Long, found it excellent and bought the Steelbook Edition. I can't be the only one to have done this.
That is more rare than you think. Games no longer charting on their platform is all the proof we need. Along with the splits growing wider and wider despite the console splits being far closer, and MS admitting that their sub service cannibalizes sales.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
It's boxed sales for this data.
You need both physical and digital combined.

Box physical is limited to how much copies the publisher makes.
Digital is not going to change the ratio. There is a 70% digital to physical ratio on PlayStation, if we "assume" all things being equal, the 86% box sales should represents only 30% of total sales on PlayStation.

I'm not saying that is the case, just saying all things being equal. Adding digital sales won't change the scale by much.

Last edited:
PS5+4 vs Xbs isn't fair data.

Who cares if it's fair? It's not Sony's fault Microsoft ceased commercial support for Xbox One in 2020. It's also not their fault the install base for fighting games on Xbox One was so low it made a port for SF6 to that system a non-starter.

Data ain't about fairness, it's about truth (or, it should be). That's all.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Who cares if it's fair? It's not Sony's fault Microsoft ceased commercial support for Xbox One in 2020. It's also not their fault the install base for fighting games on Xbox One was so low it made a port for SF6 to that system a non-starter.

Data ain't about fairness, it's about truth (or, it should be). That's all.
The devs didn't make the game for Xbox one due to Xbox one being weak.

feynoob

Banned
Digital is not going to change the ratio. There is a 70% digital to physical ratio on PlayStation, if we "assume" all things being equal, the 86% box sales should represents only 30% of total sales on PlayStation.

I'm not saying that is the case, just saying all things being equal. Adding digital sales won't change the scale by much.
The issue is that we don't know how much will buy the game from Xbox one users.

By limiting the game to only PS5/PS4 vs Xbs, you are creating a big rift and change of audience.

If it was on all platforms, yes. But as of now, it's not on that platform and we won't know how much would have bought it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Somehow saying that Netflix dealt a mega blow to home video sales is controversial??!!
Amazing, innit.

Blame the picture for that.
Had to go back to Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 post again to read the split.

It will still change the numbers.
All these mental gymnastics for what would amount to moving the needle single digit percentile points, I would wager 5% to 6% tops, and that's being generous. Sony sells digital too. And in the UK, digital is skewed heavily in software sales for them as well.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Amazing, innit.

All these mental gymnastics for what would amount to moving the needle single digit percentile points, I would wager 5% to 6% tops, and that's being generous. Sony sells digital too. And in the UK, digital is skewed heavily in software sales for them as well.
Dude, what mental gymnastics?

The entire is dumb anyway, as UK sales only represents a part of overall sales. Which is stupid in the first place.

All I said was that data doesn't represent overall Xbox users, as we don't have Xbox one data.

But if you are too invested in those sales, well here is something to calm you down. PS sales claps Xbox globally, which makes these UK/US argument worthless. Hope that calms you down.

darrylgorn

Christ, we're still reporting on boxed-only sales?

Geez Louise!

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's a good sign when a ratio for this kind of game is so heavily skewed. Means they can't really broaden their market beyond a certain segment (weebs in this case).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude, what mental gymnastics?

The entire is dumb anyway, as UK sales only represents a part of overall sales. Which is stupid in the first place.

All I said was that data doesn't represent overall Xbox users, as we don't have Xbox one data.

But if you are too invested in those sales, well here is something to calm you down. PS sales claps Xbox globally, which makes these UK/US argument worthless. Hope that calms you down.
Ok.

The needle won't move but a mere few percentile points. That's it.

feynoob

Banned
Exclusive or not games sell better on PlayStation. Prob why it’s easy for Sony to buy out Xbox’s side to make it exclusive.
Developers check globally, and PS sells very well in that department (PS outsells Xbox globally by 1.7 ratio). Plus countries like Japan have fewer Xbox around 400k, where PS is above 1m, plus and continue to dominate in sales every week (35k minimum a week).

It's easier for Sony to get exclusives. And sometimes, they don't have to do anything as certain publishers choose their platforms (most smaller Japanese devs don't make that much money from Xbox).

That is the reality. At least these UK/US threads distracts from that bloodbaths and gives us some stupid argument like we are having here.

The devs didn't make the game for Xbox one due to Xbox one being weak.

It's not that weak. I mean this game is on PS4 as well; the typical difference between XBO and PS4 multiplats was 900p vs 1080p, and slightly better textures for PS4. It's the exclusives where the visual gap was much bigger, but that's for obvious reasons.

Capcom could have scaled down the texture resolutions a tad and output resolution by maybe 20% to get the game running on Xbox One, or at least certainly the One S. Some of y'all are acting like the XBO is 360-tier in specs compared to PS4. The gap is much smaller than that.

Why would people wait for SF6 to come to Game Pass? There isn't precedent for that happening anytime soon, or a Capcom buyout happening or something.

It's more to the effect they may be more content with what's already in the service, and wait for a game like SF6 to drop down in price before picking it up. And the Xbox already has a much more casual audience for fighting games than PlayStation (by "casual" in this case I mean in terms of fighting games as a preference or priority, not the size of the audience, where for Xbox that size would be a lot smaller).

A lot of Xbox players just probably aren't as interested in picking up a new fighting game Day 1 as PS or PC users.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Ok.

The needle won't move but a mere few percentile points. That's it.
The needle isn't the issue.

The issue is Xbox fans getting left by moves like these. It creates a 2nd class treatment, especially that PS4 has the game. And considering the xbs drops, i wouldn't be surprised if those users switch to PS. People will buy the system that has their favourite games.

now that I made this clear, hope we go back to our stupid arguments.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's not that weak. I mean this game is on PS4 as well; the typical difference between XBO and PS4 multiplats was 900p vs 1080p, and slightly better textures for PS4. It's the exclusives where the visual gap was much bigger, but that's for obvious reasons.

Capcom could have scaled down the texture resolutions a tad and output resolution by maybe 20% to get the game running on Xbox One, or at least certainly the One S. Some of y'all are acting like the XBO is 360-tier in specs compared to PS4. The gap is much smaller than that.
It wasn't financially viable for them. They see the splits. Not releasing software tells it all.

The issue is Xbox fans getting left by moves like these. It creates a 2nd class treatment, especially that PS4 has the game. And considering the xbs drops, i wouldn't be surprised if those users switch to PS. People will buy the system that has their favourite games.

They should buy more games then. ProTip: They don't. These publishers/developers know the splits. They know if it's financially viable for ROI or not.

So... mental gymnastics. You act like there is some nefarious reason. There isn't.

Last edited:

GHG

They created that scenario for themselves when they stopped buying games, in part due to the platform holders' overzealous marketing of a glorified rental service.

So what exactly do you expect?

feynoob

Banned

I think it's more of platform sales wise.
9m PS4 vs 400k+ Xbox one in Japan. Capcom could have made it next gen only if it werent for that.

Developers will not waste their time on it with that small audience in their country. At least those audience will jump on the new console.

Not to mention most of those users will jump on the new console, so that is waste of resources and money.

Yeah maybe 75-25 split with Phys + digital between the two ecosystems.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It's more to the effect they may be more content with what's already in the service, and wait for a game like SF6 to drop down in price before picking it up. And the Xbox already has a much more casual audience for fighting games than PlayStation (by "casual" in this case I mean in terms of fighting games as a preference or priority, not the size of the audience, where for Xbox that size would be a lot smaller).

A lot of Xbox players just probably aren't as interested in picking up a new fighting game Day 1 as PS or PC users.
So your argument that Game Pass is the reason SF6 sells much better on PS5 rather than SF5 being an exclusive that shifted an entire fighting fanbase to Sony consoles is based in generic thoughts on how buying habits might be formed by Game Pass. Got it.

feynoob

Banned
They created that scenario for themselves when they stopped buying games, in part due to the platform holders' overzealous marketing of a glorified rental service.

So what exactly do you expect?
It's gamepass fault. Not like Xbox didn't have a good sale console (50+m-55+m life time sales), consistent draughts and not iconic first party games.

feynoob

Banned
They should buy more games then. ProTip: They don't. These publishers/developers know the splits. They know if it's financially viable for ROI or not.

So... mental gymnastics. You act like there is some nefarious reason. There isn't.
By your own advice, I think most publishers should leave Xbox, since their users don't buy their games.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So your argument that Game Pass is the reason SF6 sells much better on PS5 rather than SF5 being an exclusive that shifted an entire fighting fanbase to Sony consoles is based in generic thoughts on how buying habits might be formed by Game Pass. Got it.
Well that would explain the Resident evil split too, the hogwart legacy too.

Top Bottom