• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: 79% Of Street Fighter 6 physical sales sales were on PS5

So your argument that Game Pass is the reason SF6 sells much better on PS5 rather than SF5 being an exclusive that shifted an entire fighting fanbase to Sony consoles is based in generic thoughts on how buying habits might be formed by Game Pass. Got it.

SF5 wasn't the only fighter released that gen, and the two fighters that sold more (and had better initial reception) were both on Xbox Day 1: Tekken 7 and Mortal Kombat 11.

Some of you from one side keep saying SFV bombed because it was a PS exclusive, yet out your other end are saying SFV did well enough to shift an entire audience to PS despite the two other big fighters that sold more copies, being Day 1on Xbox.

Which one is it?

feynoob

Banned
No, you are not.

You are twisting it into whatever narrative you think you need.
You are the one out here blaming gamepass for their state, when there are too many things that is going against Xbox.

2022 shit year with no AAA game.
XBS being released without AAA game to go along.
Xbox one making devs leave the system.
Xbox one E3 tv tv tv.
MS lack of investment on their first party games.

There are too much shit that is going now, that their users are on the brink of being a boiled water in a kettle. Yet, your first target is gamepass.

As have stated, Xbox situation makes makes it harder for them to have enough userbase that can attract alot of content to their platforms. 50M-55M+ Xbox one global console is not enough, when PS4 is tracking at 118+m. And now with PS5 repeating the same thing, its going to be Xbox one all over again.

This ratio in UK, US wont help Xbox globally. and gamepass isnt the issue for that. Its MS who put the console in this situation, which they need to fix that. Make the console stand out, and have it sell 80+m at most. By then you can have strong sales, otherwise having 60m isnt going to cut it out.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
SF5 wasn't the only fighter released that gen, and the two fighters that sold more (and had better initial reception) were both on Xbox Day 1: Tekken 7 and Mortal Kombat 11.

Some of you from one side keep saying SFV bombed because it was a PS exclusive, yet out your other end are saying SFV did well enough to shift an entire audience to PS despite the two other big fighters that sold more copies, being Day 1on Xbox.

Which one is it?
If you're a fighting game fan and Street Fighter is only on one console, which one are you going to get? It was a smart move by Sony, IMO. I also don't think it hurt Capcom in the long run, because like pretty much all the Sony money hats last gen, those games came to PC as well, and in the case of Street Fighter, its PC release grew the PC fighting game market. I bet PC sales are amazing for SF6.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You are the one out here blaming gamepass for their state, when there are too many things that is going against Xbox.

2022 shit year with no AAA game.
XBS being released without AAA game to go along.
Xbox one making devs leave the system.
Xbox one E3 tv tv tv.
MS lack of investment on their first party games.

There are too much shit that is going now, that their users are on the brink of being a boiled water in a kettle. Yet, your first target is gamepass.

As have stated, Xbox situation makes makes it harder for them to have enough userbase that can attract alot of content to their platforms. 50M-55M+ Xbox one global console is not enough, when PS4 is tracking at 118+m. And now with PS5 repeating the same thing, its going to be Xbox one all over again.

This ratio in UK, US wont help Xbox globally. and gamepass isnt the issue for that. Its MS who put the console in this situation, which they need to fix that. Make the console stand out, and have it sell 80+m at most. By then you can have strong sales, otherwise having 60m isnt going to cut it out.
I think you two aren't talking about the same thing. DeepEnigma DeepEnigma 's gamepass argument is there to explain why sales ratio is not representative of consoles ratio .You are only talking about sales ratio not compared to market ratio, hence the disagreement.Sure gamepass had affected buying habit but it also doesn't show the full picture, where your point come in handy.So even if you are talking about a very similar topic , those differences in comparison are where the gist of your disagrement come.

lucbr

Isn't the digital-only Series S the best-selling Xbox console? Obviously the percentage tends to be higher for digital games on the platform.

Lastly, it seems to me that GamesIndustry likes controversy, or is the need for clicks? Since it will announce the split by platform, why not wait and release only the complete information?

If you're a fighting game fan and Street Fighter is only on one console, which one are you going to get? It was a smart move by Sony, IMO. I also don't think it hurt Capcom in the long run, because like pretty much all the Sony money hats last gen, those games came to PC as well, and in the case of Street Fighter, its PC release grew the PC fighting game market. I bet PC sales are amazing for SF6.

PC sales for SF6 should be quite good, though I still expect majority of sales to be PS5. That said, PC sales will be larger in all markets than Xbox, it's just by what amount is up for debate.

And yes it was a smart move for Sony but FWIW Microsoft got Dead Rising 3 out of Capcom, so both platform holders likely had their picks. What I was mainly trying to get at though is that SFV alone was not the main reason the fighting game base shifted to PlayStation last gen.

Did it play a part? Definitely. But it wasn't the only one and most of the other big fighters (sans games like Guilty Gear, which are "FGC big" but not mass-market big) were multiplatform Day 1.

feynoob

Banned
I think you two aren't talking about the same thing. DeepEnigma DeepEnigma 's gamepass argument is there to explain why sales ratio is not representative of consoles ratio .You are only talking about sales ratio not compared to market ratio, hence the disagreement.Sure gamepass had affected buying habit but it also doesn't show the full picture, where your point come in handy.So even if you are talking about a very similar topic , those differences in comparison are where the gist of your disagrement come.
My argument was that there is a bigger issue than gamepass.
Xbox users currenly arent getting what they bought the console for. And Xbox one history isnt helping them at all.
All these stuff will have affect on sales and the state of the console.

I mean, people wont stick with Xbox only, if this shit goes on for too long. It will be a matter of time before they buy a PS, which makes previous sales useless as those users are migrating to the other system.

darrylgorn

Xbox users currenly arent getting what they bought the console for. And Xbox one history isnt helping them at all.

I mean, people wont stick with Xbox only, if this shit goes on for too long. It will be a matter of time before they buy a PS, which makes previous sales useless as those users are migrating to the other system.

Maybe, but commas and apostrophes will help. 🤓

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

I'm not saying that you're wrong , just not talking about the same thing.

Woopah

While physical data obviously isn't as good as total data, it is still pretty useful and interesting.

Likewise data can still be useful even if it's just one country. People just need to remember the context.

TOTK did around 20,000 this week, while SFVI did around 6,000 - 7,000

Must've sold a lot on PS5 then because it sells well on steam.
70k peak, 53k right now.
Unfortunately we won't know how PC compares to PS5 until the digital data is released.
More fud from Dring Dong who conveniently forgets most of the Xbox people in the UK have already started buying digital from other country store fronts in preparation for Xbox/ABK to leave the UK.
This is sarcasm right?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Oh wait, this is physical only as well. I'm curious how the digital numbers look.
But is this the case ? We don't even have digital sales ?

Well there is also the opposite effect. I tried Wo Long, found it excellent and bought the Steelbook Edition. I can't be the only one to have done this.

Christ, we're still reporting on boxed-only sales?

Geez Louise!

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's a good sign when a ratio for this kind of game is so heavily skewed. Means they can't really broaden their market beyond a certain segment (weebs in this case).
vrOTI7d.gif

Woopah

I would like to see what the total software sales are between PS4/PS5 vs Xbox One /Xbox Series vs Wii U / Switch now
Unfortunately we don't know the global numbers for PlayStation and Xbox, but I just looked up the Nintendo software numbers and they are quite interesting right now!

Wii U software - 103.6 million
Switch software - 1,036.15 million

It's almost exactly 10x more (the numbers don't include digital only games though).

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
PC sales for SF6 should be quite good, though I still expect majority of sales to be PS5. That said, PC sales will be larger in all markets than Xbox, it's just by what amount is up for debate.

And yes it was a smart move for Sony but FWIW Microsoft got Dead Rising 3 out of Capcom, so both platform holders likely had their picks. What I was mainly trying to get at though is that SFV alone was not the main reason the fighting game base shifted to PlayStation last gen.

Did it play a part? Definitely. But it wasn't the only one and most of the other big fighters (sans games like Guilty Gear, which are "FGC big" but not mass-market big) were multiplatform Day 1.
The SF5 deal likely happened 2-3 years after the Dead Rising 3 deal. Why would it be a situation of choosing one over the other? And who chooses Dead Rising over Street Fighter? I would assume the reason the Dead Rising 3 money hat happened was because it was already seen as an Xbox-centric franchise making it a bit cheaper than other Capcom games for Xbox exclusivity.

onQ123

Unfortunately we don't know the global numbers for PlayStation and Xbox, but I just looked up the Nintendo software numbers and they are quite interesting right now!

It's almost exactly 10x more (the numbers don't include digital only games though).
The fact that Wii U physical software sales barely match Wii hardware sales

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Obviously PS software will pretty much always outsell Xbox software for multiplats and I think the disproportionate swings like this will in large part be due to how badly MS shit the bed last gen.

Anecdotally, looking at my Xbox friends list which has about 100 people there are zero people who own SF6 and three who have Diablo 4. The biggest game is Halo which is about 3x more popular than MW2. Now granted my list is primarily made up of the old UK/EU MLG halo scene from 05-09. The vast majority switched over to PC when Reach came out because it killed competitive Halo. The ones who are left are clearly diehards and Halo is essentially their FIFA.

Of the people who switched to PC I only have three people who own it on Steam. About 10 have Diablo on Battle Net. At least for my subset of friends they do appear to be the typical Xbox shooter bros. I never built a PS friends list to compare

yurinka

For Sony we have these numbers:
PS4 (from FY2016 to PS5 release) - 1250.4 million
PS4+PS5 combined (since PS5 release until March 2023) - 733 million

So it's a combined 1983.4 million since FY2016, but PS4 was released in 2013 so you should add there the PS4 numbers from its first years.

But well, as a rough estimate you can say that until now PS4+PS5 sold twice the amount of games than Switch+WiiU.

Woopah

So it's a combined 1983.4 million since FY2016, but PS4 was released in 2013 so you should add there the PS4 numbers from its first years.

But well, as a rough estimate you can say that until now PS4+PS5 sold twice the amount of games than Switch+WiiU.
Yes its bit annoying we don't get split sales from Sony, though still better than what we get from Microsoft! Switch and PS4 will preobably end up with very similar software sales, but it remains to be seen if Switch 2 can match PS5.

Nydius

This thread is weird....what are you guys even so invested in. It sold what it sold lol

I think it's just because it's one of the very few metrics we have that looks at overall platform health. UK is significant in this case as they're the second biggest market for Xbox and the largest in Europe. Looking at Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 's combined physical + digital sales numbers for RE4 is pretty damning because if the console market in the UK has a 56/44 split, as was posted earlier, only selling 23% on all Xbox platforms is pretty dire. It looks like those numbers may well repeat themselves here.

Problem here is that this is a trend. I discussed the same in one of the Final Fantasy topics here just the other day. Even when Final Fantasy games were available on Xbox platforms, they would be outsold 2:1 (or worse) on PlayStation platforms. The best was FF13, the worst was Crisis Core Reunion which sold more on Switch than all Xbox platforms combined. This is the primary reason developers are cutting Xbox out, not some nefarious anti-Xbox sentiment like some in the topic here seem to think exists. It's all about sales and software simply sells worse on the Xbox platform in a market where Xbox is supposedly strong. Devs have to decide whether it's worth the cost to port, manufacture, and market games for Xbox and the sales numbers are overwhelmingly showing them that it's not.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it's just because it's one of the very few metrics we have that looks at overall platform health. UK is significant in this case as they're the second biggest market for Xbox and the largest in Europe. Looking at Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 's combined physical + digital sales numbers for RE4 is pretty damning because if the console market in the UK has a 56/44 split, as was posted earlier, only selling 23% on all Xbox platforms is pretty dire. It looks like those numbers may well repeat themselves here.

Problem here is that this is a trend. I discussed the same in one of the Final Fantasy topics here just the other day. Even when Final Fantasy games were available on Xbox platforms, they would be outsold 2:1 (or worse) on PlayStation platforms. The best was FF13, the worst was Crisis Core Reunion which sold more on Switch than all Xbox platforms combined. This is the primary reason developers are cutting Xbox out, not some nefarious anti-Xbox sentiment like some in the topic here seem to think exists. It's all about sales and software simply sells worse on the Xbox platform in a market where Xbox is supposedly strong. Devs have to decide whether it's worth the cost to port, manufacture, and market games for Xbox and the sales numbers are overwhelmingly showing them that it's not.

As long as the ports, which shouldn't be difficult when porting from the PC to xbox series consoles, isn't too expensive....its all extra money for capcom and players get to get the games where they want.

Then that's all that matters, surely?

Nydius

As long as the ports, which shouldn't be difficult when porting from the PC to xbox series consoles, isn't too expensive....its all extra money for capcom and players get to get the games where they want.

Then that's all that matters, surely?

You're not wrong.
I imagine there's more to their cost-benefit analysis than the ease of porting from PC builds, however.

Alas, I've done my part. Even got the 8bitdo Xbox licensed fighting stick preordered.
I give Xbox UK permission to count my copy as a UK sale if they'd like. :LOL:

OOQq59u.jpg

Pelta88

I'm seeing a lot of people on reddit and socials talking about they're going to "Wait for it to come to GP."

Thirty7ven

Banned

PlayStation always had high attach ratio aside from ps3. Nintendo is up and down, Xbox only the 360 had a high attach ratio.

feynoob

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of people on reddit and socials talking about they're going to "Wait for it to come to GP."
They can hope as much as they want to.
I mean valhalla went to ps+ and still isnt on gamepass. It will take a long time before big titles like these hit gamepass early.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
And this is how gamepass has hurt the industry. Then people ask "why is such game not on xbox???"

Cause ya'll dont buy the prequel or raw data showing you dont show support

Nydius

Sounds about right given the amount of PS5s vs XSX/S in the UK. Why is this news?
Except had you read the thread you'd know that's not true.

The split in the UK is around 56% PS5, 44% XSX/S, which means sales of Xbox software in the UK significantly underperforms when compared to the install base. Even in cases where Digital and Physical numbers are known, they still don't reach that same split. This indicates many UK Xbox owners simply don't buy games at all and use their Xbox either as a media station, Game Pass box, or both.

Crayon

^^^ I didn't know the install base in the uk was that close. That does make the split more interesting.

Top Bottom