• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: 79% Of Street Fighter 6 physical sales sales were on PS5

For those saying that Xbox players will have their physical/digital split more skewed towards digital - correct. Overwhelmingly so.

But the same is true for PlayStation. There’s a reason why SIE, financials show that PSN is a monster revenue driver.

In the U.K. the console sales are about PS5 1.2: Xbox S/X, but so far when we have found out sales data the PS5 copies (digital and physical) outstrip that ratio. So based on the data we have, PS5 sells more games per user than Xbox.

Surprised the PS4 SKU didn’t do as well, but it may have had a lower print run.

reksveks

I would like to see what the total software sales are between PS4/PS5 vs Xbox One /Xbox Series vs Wii U / Switch now
Unfortunately the only data point that I have includes service revenue and mtx. I do need to also break up Nintendo into software and hardware.

Estimates for the sf physical sales numbers in the uk is 15-20k, Zelda is 22.4k.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
samurai-harakiri.gif
I would do it in a heart beat for you!

On the real...6 pages on this already when it's just the UK physical chart....never fail gaf and you hardcore Sony fans! Lol

Last edited:

SCB3

Not surprising, more established fanbase (SFV was PS4 only) better advertising, bigger install base and a better controller for Fighting games (as good as Xbox controllers are, they suck for D-Pad fighting games)

feynoob

Banned
The usual suspects downplay the Uk physical charts, yet the same usual suspects always frequent these threads and remind us how irrelevant physical sales are. I find if very strange and amusing.
Physical sold 15k-20k total.
Xbox has Xbs which is digital.
And lastly most people buy digital as that is easy things to do with a click of a button.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This thread itself is a wall of shame.

You and other who don't want to deal with market related threads can just not participate? I'm sure when the content sounds positive to your preferences you will come back and contribute, and that's ok. Trying to shut down discussion though? Come on man.

feynoob

Banned
You and other who don't want to deal with market related threads can just not participate? I'm sure when the content sounds positive to your preferences you will come back and contribute, and that's ok. Trying to shut down discussion though? Come on man.
There is 2 reality to this market discussion. Global or the focus on US/UK market. I am on the global side, so these threads are hilarious for me.
there was never a competition to begin with.

jm89

There is 2 reality to this market discussion. Global or the focus on US/UK market. I am on the global side, so these threads are hilarious for me.
UK market is the second biggest market for xbox. If software sales in this region isn't great, you think places like continental europe which is a huge market, it will be much better? Or even asia?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

But this is the UK thread.

Start a thread, "feynoob Presents - The Global Side - Not a Competition!"

feynoob

Banned
UK market is the second biggest market for xbox. If software sales in this region isn't great, you think places like continental europe which is a huge market, it will be much better? Or even asia?
Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

They don't have the consoles sales and audience to do those numbers. They are selling 200+ xbs in Japan weekly. That is the best market in Asia. Utterly shit in Europe. So no, it's why I said there was no competition.
PS has higher sales, higher audience, has more userbase in Japan which is critical for these Japanese games. I won't be surprised if the ratio is 2/1 or higher in favor of PS.

jm89

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

They don't have the consoles sales and audience to do those numbers. They are selling 200+ xbs in Japan weekly. That is the best market in Asia. Utterly shit in Europe. So no, it's why I said there was no competition.
PS has higher sales, higher audience, has more userbase in Japan which is critical for these Japanese games. I won't be surprised if the ratio is 2/1 or higher in favor of PS.
I mean you mentioned you being more interested in global. So those big markets do matter if we are gonna be taking a look at global. If it's not doing great in its second biggest market, it doesn't paint a good picture for everyelse.

And fyi the USA hardware sales was even worse then UK when we got the npd leak last year. So even USA software sales may not be that great if we take into consideration hardware marketshare and the effect of gamepass on sales, but that's my assumption as we never really get software sales split from USA.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I mean you mentioned you being more interested in global. So those big markets do matter if we are gonna be taking a look at global. If it's not doing great in its second biggest market, it doesn't paint a good picture for everyelse.

And fyi the USA hardware sales was even worse then UK when we got the npd leak last year. So even USA software sales may not be that great if we take into consideration hardware marketshare, but that's my assumption as we never really get software sales split from USA.
You also have to add the factor of both system owners buying the opposite console too.

Considering Xbox 2022 output, I can imagine a lot of their users buying PS5 and building library there.

MS fucked royally with Xbox one.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The issue with thread was physical portion. Otherwise, have no issue with.

Physical is part of the discussion, and is a good indicator. You and others try to create this idea that the majority of sales on Playstation aren't digital and it just doesn't fly. Every week the same bs, no data.

At least discuss what's actually here and try to come up with a reason for why game X or Y is doing well in A or B, and better than C, instead of this constant empty spin of numbers. Talk about the market, not about your feelings.

AngelMuffin

Except had you read the thread you'd know that's not true.

The split in the UK is around 56% PS5, 44% XSX/S, which means sales of Xbox software in the UK significantly underperforms when compared to the install base. Even in cases where Digital and Physical numbers are known, they still don't reach that same split. This indicates many UK Xbox owners simply don't buy games at all and use their Xbox either as a media station, Game Pass box, or both.
Alrighty, you got me there.

Gamepass effect? Shitty D-pad on Xbox controller? SF5 PS4 exclusive? All 3?

Duchess

That's to be expected, though, since Street Fighter 6 is on Game Pass.

That's to be expected, though, since Street Fighter 6 is coming to Game Pass.

That's to be expected, though, since Street Fighter 6 might come to Game Pass.

That's to be expected, though, because PlayStation owners buy games.

Pelta88

You also have to add the factor of both system owners buying the opposite console too.

Considering Xbox 2022 output, I can imagine a lot of their users buying PS5 and building library there.

MS fucked royally with Xbox one.

The problem with this is that you keep highlighting 2022. There has been market attrition moving from XBOX to PS since 2013.

feynoob

Banned
Physical is part of the discussion, and is a good indicator. You and others try to create this idea that the majority of sales on Playstation aren't digital and it just doesn't fly. Every week the same bs, no data.

At least discuss what's actually here and try to come up with a reason for why game X or Y is doing well in A or B, and better than C, instead of this constant empty spin of numbers. Talk about the market, not about your feelings.
Physical is not a good discussion, because of the anomaly that is present in the data. It skews heavily in PS favor.
XBS existence and Xbox having a higher digital sales have on that data.

I think better ones would be physical+ digital as that shows a good data. Also the data having 1+ months worth of data is better too for a large sample data.

feynoob

Banned
The problem with this is that you keep highlighting 2022. There has been market attrition moving from XBOX to PS since 2013.
The reason for that is they didn't have any of the promised games.

So far this was Xbox series trajectory.

Nov 2020-august 2022, there was no action of AAA first party games.
January 2022 to may 2023 had no AAA exclusive games.
People have little patient to these kind of treatment after Xbox one.
I mean look at PS output during these years. It's was big after big games nonstop.

Well all's I know is I bought it on Xbox digitally as have an S and X and havn't bought a single physical console game in a long time. Last physical I bought was MW 2019 which I ended up selling and buying a digital version of anyway when I liked the game a lot.

Pelta88

The reason for that is they didn't have any of the promised games.

So far this was Xbox series trajectory.

Nov 2020-august 2022, there was no action of AAA first party games.
January 2022 to may 2023 had no AAA exclusive games.
People have little patient to these kind of treatment after Xbox one.
I mean look at PS output during these years. It's was big after big games nonstop.

The bolded is false.

40% of PS4 owners didn't own and PS3. Right now 30% of PS5 owners didn't own a PS4. That's a 70% swing. I'm not saying that that's all from XBOX but as you know, the numbers XBOX submitted to regulators suggests a majority of that 70% swing is directly from their instal. Making 2020/2022 an irrelevant part of the discussion. When PS has been syphoning XBOX's instal since 2013.

People are not waiting. They're choosing where they spend on a daily basis. The only people waiting are those who keep telling people to "wait." People like Jez, Rand, Colt etc etc.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
The bolded is false.

40% of PS4 owners didn't own and PS3. Right now 30% of PS5 owners didn't own a PS4. That's a 70% swing. I'm not saying that that's all from XBOX but as you know, the numbers XBOX submitted to regulators suggests a majority of that 70% swing is directly from their instal. Making 2020/2022 an irrelevant part of the discussion. When PS has been syphoning XBOX's instal since 2013.

People are not waiting. They're choosing where they spend on a daily basis. The only people waiting are those who keep telling people to "wait." People like Jez, Rand, Colt etc etc.
I think you are ignoring new audience like children, which makes up majority of these numbers.
My little brother never had either console, and I bought him a PS4. And the fact that Fortnite is a huge with kids shows that.

Pelta88

I think you are ignoring new audience like children, which makes up majority of these numbers.
My little brother never had either console, and I bought him a PS4. And the fact that Fortnite is a huge with kids shows that.

I think you're ignoring the fact that these publishers have the stats that go with each console purchase. They know the difference between children who, crucially, don't have a card or payment options when they sign up and as a result rely on their parents. And the adults who do.

There is a PS4 gen interview with Yoshida, where he all but names XBOX as the place the influx of new customers is coming from. They have the stats, it's their job to have as much info on as possible on each customer.

feynoob

Banned
I think you're ignoring the fact that these publishers have the stats that go with each console purchase. They know the difference between children who, crucially, don't have a card or payment options when they sign up and as a result rely on their parents. And the adults who do.

There is a PS4 gen interview with Yoshida, where he all but names XBOX as the place the influx of new customers is coming from. They have the stats, it's their job to have as much info on as possible on each customer.
Kids play COD games and GTA 5. You are underestimating what parents buy for their kids.

Pelta88

Kids play COD games and GTA 5. You are underestimating what parents buy for their kids.

You keep shifting the conversation.

I'm saying that in totality, 70% of new PS4/5 customers weren't on the platform previously. You're talking about children playing COD as a way to compensate for those numbers. Like Sony doesn't have projections when they release hardware. And as if 2013-2023 didn't actually happen.

feynoob

Banned
You keep shifting the conversation.

I'm saying that in totality, 70% of new PS4/5 customers weren't on the platform previously. You're talking about children playing COD as a way to compensate for those numbers. Like Sony doesn't have projections when they release hardware. And as if 2013-2023 didn't actually happen.
It's not shifting.
Kids from 2013 are now 18 years old, and kids from Fortnite are old enough to play these games.
How do you think Sony finds new gamers for their system every gen?

Thirty7ven

Banned

“PS5 sales dropped 23% month-on-month, and it's the first time all year that PS5 sales were lower than they were during the same period in 2022. Xbox Series S and X sales also fell 10% in May compared with April, and are also down over the same period in 2022.

Overall, console sales are up 16.6% so far in 2023 compared with the year before, with PS5 sales up 81%, Switch sales down 8% and Xbox Series S and X sales down 19%.”

feynoob

Banned

“PS5 sales dropped 23% month-on-month, and it's the first time all year that PS5 sales were lower than they were during the same period in 2022. Xbox Series S and X sales also fell 10% in May compared with April, and are also down over the same period in 2022.

Overall, console sales are up 16.6% so far in 2023 compared with the year before, with PS5 sales up 81%, Switch sales down 8% and Xbox Series S and X sales down 19%.”

I think this needs a new thread.

Physical sold 15k-20k total.
Xbox has Xbs which is digital.
And lastly most people buy digital as that is easy things to do with a click of a button.

Cool. That's between PS5, PS4 and Xbox Series, right?

Okay then, let's try this. Assuming the amount is 20K physical for all, PS5 therefore got 15.8K of those sales, Xbox Series got 2.6K, and PS4 got 1.6K.

Let us suppose we take some people at their word, that ~ 90% of Xbox users buy digital. That would mean digitally Xbox saw another 23.4K copies of SF6 sold in the UK. Let's just take Sony's latest report that 70% of PS sales are digital (it was in one of their previous fiscal reports). That means on PS5 they sold another 110.6K copies digitally, and on PS4, another 11.2K copies digitally.

That would bring XBS totals (theoretically) up to 26K copies digital + physical, and 126.4K copies digital + physical for PS5. 12.8K digital + physical for PS4. That is still very close to the 80/20 split we see from the physical-only SF6 results in the UK.

And this is ignoring the actual UK digital market data the GFK put in their report, which again, shows PS5 on average comprises 2x the digital sales volume of Xbox in that market.

In short there is functionally no way digital helps Xbox close the sales gap for SF6 between it and PS5 in the UK market.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You sure?

That 19% drop year on year for xbox is looking like the biggest disaster of those stats.

That’s just a continuation of an ongoing story though.

It’s disappointing to see PS5 already lose momentum that’s for sure. We will see if FF16 helps, but they need games.

feynoob

Banned
Cool. That's between PS5, PS4 and Xbox Series, right?

Okay then, let's try this. Assuming the amount is 20K physical for all, PS5 therefore got 15.8K of those sales, Xbox Series got 2.6K, and PS4 got 1.6K.

Let us suppose we take some people at their word, that ~ 90% of Xbox users buy digital. That would mean digitally Xbox saw another 23.4K copies of SF6 sold in the UK. Let's just take Sony's latest report that 70% of PS sales are digital (it was in one of their previous fiscal reports). That means on PS5 they sold another 110.6K copies digitally, and on PS4, another 11.2K copies digitally.

That would bring XBS totals (theoretically) up to 26K copies digital + physical, and 126.4K copies digital + physical for PS5. 12.8K digital + physical for PS4. That is still very close to the 80/20 split we see from the physical-only SF6 results in the UK.

And this is ignoring the actual UK digital market data the GFK put in their report, which again, shows PS5 on average comprises 2x the digital sales volume of Xbox in that market.

In short there is functionally no way digital helps Xbox close the sales gap for SF6 between it and PS5 in the UK market.
It was never going to close the gap. As you said before, fighting games is small on Xbox.

You sure?

That 19% drop year on year for xbox is looking like the biggest disaster of those stats.

Is it even possible XBS could be tracking at lower-than-OG Xbox levels? I didn't think that would be possible but the likelihood is increasing.

FWIW I think OG Xbox did 6.2 million in its third year (2004).

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Is it even possible XBS could be tracking at lower-than-OG Xbox levels? I didn't think that would be possible but the likelihood is increasing.

FWIW I think OG Xbox did 6.2 million in its third year (2004).
I wonder if MS is planning huge stock drop after this showcase.
Considering how confident they are with this showcase, it might be possible that they will drop a huge shipment after the event.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Considering how confident they are with this showcase, it might be possible that they will drop a huge shipment after the event.

These events don’t sell consoles. Because you know… the games on them aren’t available.

The events excite or disappoint the fanbase and create stories in the media. Mostly it affects investors outlook on the near term of the business.

Last edited:

Well in any case we know they'll have increased supply for Starfield's launch. The thing with me though is, if they didn't have this Day 1 PC initiative for all their titles, they'd have genuine Xbox exclusives for at least a year or so which would help increase system sales.

That initiative IMO hampers the peak selling potential of Xbox consoles no matter how good a showcase or games MS ends up putting out.

Top Bottom