• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Becquerel said:
I hope they're gonna come out with other alts.

To be frank, in SF4, I really couldn't care less, but so far all the MvC alts I've seen were pretty awesome. I really like RE3 Jill and weird-ass Thanos Imperative Shuma, and it appears I'll get them for free, so no complaints from me for that. :3

The SF4 team's biggest blind spot is cool costumes. There's only like 6 alts in SF4 that are really outstandingly creative. Most of the alts are random, boring clothing or super stereotypical Japanese costumes with no personality.

Hell, the standards for mere *alternate colors* in MVC3 are far higher than SF4! (But to be fair, more thought and detail is in the MVC3 alt colors than in most fighting games period.) And the actual, alt mesh outfits are generally incredible.

Kaijima said:
The SF4 team's biggest blind spot is cool costumes. There's only like 6 alts in SF4 that are really outstandingly creative. Most of the alts are random, boring clothing or super stereotypical Japanese costumes with no personality.

Hell, the standards for mere *alternate colors* in MVC3 are far higher than SF4! (But to be fair, more thought and detail is in the MVC3 alt colors than in most fighting games period.) And the actual, alt mesh outfits are generally incredible.

Absolutely agreed.

I only bought like, the one vanilla SF4 complete costume pack, nothing else. And I regret buying that haha.

Though to be fair, the Capcom alt colors are, in some cases, really bad. The Marvel ones are generally a lot better because they're drawn from actual comics/shows/games, so aside from Shuma's, all of them are referencing some comic, haha. I think the only ones that left me entirely unimpressed were the Shuma set, the 2 brown Nova costumes, and the removal of Red Guardian from Cap.

Karsticles said:
Personally, I'm surprised we didn't get Rainbow Firebrand just so they could get all of the primary colors done with faster.

I was more surprised about getting that greenish stone color instead of a purple or white one.

Holy shit RE3 Jill <3 Honestly I think they couldnt go wrong with any of Jill's alternate costumes. Im a huge fan of her S.T.A.R.S, Nemesis and BSAA outfits. Now I actually want to learn her. Same for Taskmaster, if/when he gets the Udon outfit I will be all over him.

FSLink

Banned
I'm considering Hawkeye/Wright/Nova for my Day 1 team, though not sure if I should keep Hawkeye in the 1st slot or not...and does his Poison Tip assist OTG like it does on point?

And ggs to Intelliheath and whoever else I played.

BiggNife

AwakenedCloud said:
I'm confused, it says $33.00 w/ free shipping but at checkout it comes to $38.40
The $33 price isn't Amazon directly, it's from an Amazon marketplace seller called Bestsku and as far as I can tell they don't offer free shipping. Also there's no guarantees as to when you'll get it (I've had mixed experiences with Amazon sellers), and because you're not buying directly from Amazon you're not getting the MvC2 costume pack.

Buying from Amazon with release date delivery is $41. I went that route because I trust Amazon a lot more than an external seller and I'm willing to pay $3 to be safe.

FSLink said:
I'm considering Hawkeye/Wright/Nova for my Day 1 team, though not sure if I should keep Hawkeye in the 1st slot or not...

Hawkeye seems like the best on second spot. Wright is probably better on point to collect evidence first with Maya, and Javelin assist.

and does his Poison Tip assist OTG like it does on point?

As far as I know, yes.

Clipse

AwakenedCloud said:
I'm confused, it says $33.00 w/ free shipping but at checkout it comes to $38.40
Amazon is offering free shipping. The $33 price is a 3rd-party seller and they're charging $5.40 for S&H.

sephi22

Lyte Edge said:
Was messing around in the character viewer and noticed that Jill and Shuma-Gorath have their DLC outfits unlocked right from the start:
TWhqvl.jpg

Also got to play a whopping ONE match online. There's only 11 people listed on the ranked match board at the moment. The connection was awful (no bars), but we played anyway. Hopefully more people have it early by the weekend so the lobby system can be fully-tested.

Something annoying I noticed in arcade is that the game will stutter in the beginning of the match. MvC3 did not do this; I'm hoping this was a result of fight request being turned on.

I noticed this too. My friend and I played Random and the game gave me Shuma with this costume. I went 'Woah. Look at Shuma. Guess one of his 6 colors is extra special'. I didn't realize that it was a DLC costume. I don't own Jill so can't test hers out.

Also, Lyte, if you're on PSN we can play and check the lobby system together. Its going to lag like a motherfucker (Dubai-US?) but atleast we can check stuff at our own pace.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
FSLink said:
I'm considering Hawkeye/Wright/Nova for my Day 1 team, though not sure if I should keep Hawkeye in the 1st slot or not...and does his Poison Tip assist OTG like it does on point?

And ggs to Intelliheath and whoever else I played.

ggs man!

you made me realized that I need to work on my team. :-\

c.bake said:
Interesting theory. But...no, that's not what it's based on...

(All will be revealed. Though I've already seen a commenter on a prominent fighting-games website reveal the Shuma alt's true identity.)

Wolverine: First Class #12, then?

c.bake said:
Interesting theory. But...no, that's not what it's based on...

(All will be revealed. Though I've already seen a commenter on a prominent fighting-games website reveal the Shuma alt's true identity.)

You let the cat out of the bag, I think:

Posted by ButterKnife on November 9, 2011 at 8:36 p.m. #14

I think I might be the ONLY person in the world who actually knows where that Shuma alt is from.

It's from Wolverine: First Class #12. Basically Cyclops and Kitty go off on some island and find a disciple of Shuma Gorath (Not Shuma himself)

Edit: looking for a scan/picture, I found this:

Also, unnecessary to the story, but a continuity geek bonus, this takes place on Magneto’s crazy Cthulu-island in the Bermuda triangle, from ‘Uncanny X-Men’ 150, which is one of the most awesomely cracktastic Claremont issues ever.

Clipse said:
Amazon is offering free shipping. The $33 price is a 3rd-party seller and they're charging $5.40 for S&H.
It's like BiggNife said, you have to order via the bestsku website to get their free shipping. Checked it out and it seems kind of sketch, so it's probably not the best option.

FSLink

Banned
IntelliHeath said:
ggs man!

you made me realized that I need to work on my team. :-\
Haha, it was fun. Your She-Hulk and Haggar play was pretty awesome. :D I kept getting grabbed. x_x I need to go to the lab with Dorm and Storm.

Mit-

I feel like it's atleast somewhat based off of this:

shumagorath1.jpg

Mostly due to the spotted skin texture. It's clear that there is spotted skin in one spot on the DLC costume, and it looks like he might have other designs on his other tentacles, which, the above picture also seems to have varying designs.

Well the costume's already been shown, no much reason to keep his mouth shut about where it's from. :p
I meant the hint of "it was said at a popular fighting game website" - I interpreted it on the first try! ;-)

IT WAS A JOKE

I think Chris Baker should force Marvel animators to give Nova a cartoon intro for those sweet lyrics to his Ultimate theme a couple pages back.

Shoutouts to cross-promotion making me interested in this character :p

Karst, making jokes? My world... I think I should go to bed.
I'm actually quite comical in the non-virtual world. It's generally the only way I can tolerate the company of others outside of a few select individuals.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
crimsonspider89 said:
Somehow, Someway, someone mindfucks MahvelGAF.

Let us all take this in remembrance.

Today we have been mindfucked too many times.
No no you'll get mind fucked to many times if you play me after UMvC3 is out. You will literally be dripping gooey white stuff from your ears after a session

sephi22

Was watching Maximillian's final Assist me and got inspired to take Frank from Level 1 to Level 5 with as small an effort as possible. Got it! No drink, 2 bars.

Did I just blow your mind GAF?

The notation is -> L, M, H, S, j. M, j. M, j. M, j. S, A1+A2 (mash), qcf+S (get to level 3), qcf+ H (ground bounce), qcf +S (level 5 and reset).

You can also do L, M, H, A1+A2 and do the rest. Doing a raw A1+A2 does around 46 hits, which become 92 exp by the end, so you need another couple of hits for Level 5.

sephi22 said:
Was watching Maximillian's final Assist me and got inspired to take Frank from Level 1 to Level 5 with as small an effort as possible. Got it! No drink, 2 bars.

Did I just blow your mind GAF?

The notation is -> L, M, H, S, j. M, j. M, j. M, j. S, A1+A2 (mash), qcf+S (get to level 3), qcf+ H (ground bounce), qcf +S (level 5 and reset).

You can also do L, M, H, A1+A2 and do the rest. Doing a raw A1+A2 does around 46 hits, which become 92 exp by the end, so you need another couple of hits for Level 5.
651297_o.gif

I would have preferred Jill's S.T.A.R.S. outfit, (especially considering Chris & Wesker's alts) but her RE3 one is fine. What's not fine is that they left that silly mind control device on her chest. I'm still baffled that they went in this direction for Jill. :/

Shuma's is just a bit scary.

sephi22

crimsonspider89 said:
So in other words, Dante and Skrull can get him to level 5 with two bars.

Wonder who else can?
Not Skrull. See, with Dante you have enough time to get a camera shot in, do a ground bounce, get another shot in. With Skrull, Frank and Skrull's hypers end around the same time, so you need to XFC to get a shot in.

Definitely interested in Frank the more I read/see about him.

Gunloc said:
What's not fine is that they left that silly mind control device on her chest.

As I mentioned, the device is part of at least one animation (the level 3), and substantial in that hyper (it glows and shit), and as Karst mentioned, it also is in her behavior and quotes. So it's silly to assume they would take it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom