• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Dahbomb

Both Doom and Vergil are serviceable on point.

I would start with Vergil though. The main problem is playing Vergil without meter on point or having to save it for Dorm.

If you could be in a position where you can get Dorm in properly then this team would be highly functional (I would even say that it would be at least near top tier) but that chance is pretty low. What is going to happen is that you are either going to steamroll with Vergil and not have Dorm be much of a factor or have Vergil die early, get Dorm mixed up and not be a factor that way.

Vergil is only going to DHC into Stalking Flare if it's a kill combo or if Vergil is about to die. When it comes to kill combos Vergil can probably use 2 bars to kill himself rather than change up order/give up meaty incoming for the DHC Stalking Flare.

Well I guess it's Vergil on point then.. Though I don't like Vergil without an easy OTG assist if he's on point, because I'll uses missiles to get in (or swords). Dark Hole kind of works with high time but the timing is wacky in combos longer than [helmet breaker ->high time -> darkhole extension + etc] Dorm can be fun when you get things started but when I was facing Wolvie or any good point character I usually got bopped...

Well I guess it's Vergil on point then.. Though I don't like Vergil without an easy OTG assist if he's on point, because I'll uses missiles to get in (or swords). Dark Hole kind of works with high time but the timing is wacky in longer combos than just helmet breaker.. Dorm can be fun when you get things started but when I was facing Wolvie or any good point character I usually got bopped...
You can do this with Vergil +Dark Hole:
Helm Breaker to end the combo, Spiral Swords +DarkHole, df. H

That starts the loops just fine.

Zissou

I see where you guys are coming from... it just looked so weird. Like one second Doom almost disappears, Vergil comes out of nowhere, and gets hit. I need to see if I can pull it off in training mode.

Frantic

I believe the reason it looks like that is because the video itself actually glitched out and skipped some, thus obscuring what happened that they got hyped about.

Hey guys, if you didn't know, I am hosting an Xbox Live UMVC3 Tournament this coming Tuesday(September 30th) at 10PM EST, there is no entry fee(Its free to enter!) and the winner will get his choice of $10 Xbox Live Currency, $10 PSN Currency, or $10 Steam Wallet code!

If you want to sign up, please do so here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/z5m5rmUy1t

But before hand, PLEASE Read the Rules and stuff on how we are going to run this tournament, so you know how I am going to be running it at all, and any other info you may need to know should be at this link here: http://www.reddit.com/r/MvC3/comments/2h39we/the_umvc3_reddit_tournamentxbox_360_only_is_back/

If you have ANY questions, feel free to message me here or on Reddit so I can answer your questions.

Also there SHOULD be a stream for the tournament, but at the moment, it is up in the air if he is able to stream it or not, I will let you know on the day of the tournament if he will be able to stream at all!

Zissou

Frantic

Zissou

One thing worth testing is pushing buttons/specials as the incoming character. When I was testing it, some buttons moved the hurtbox enough for the subsequent Foot Dive to whiff. I couldn't figure out how to combo off the hit with Doom, so it was essentially a free escape, so it's worth looking into, I think.

Was testing with a friend, you might be right, haha. It's hard to tell if my timing isn't correct or you can straight up beat the mix-up by mashing certain buttons. Need to test more!

Frantic

Was testing with a friend, you might be right, haha. It's hard to tell if my timing isn't correct or you can straight up beat the mix-up by mashing certain buttons. Need to test more!
I have a feeling it's a legit escape, just because the hurt/hitboxes in this game are preeetty dumb. Not to mention that sometimes getting hit is a better escape than blocking. I hate when people get hit by my setups, sometimes, because I already commit to a second mixup and said mixup doesn't combo from the first part. >_>

Anyways, looking forward to the results of your testing. Since I'm not much of a Doom player, my own attempts at testing it feel lackluster, heh.

JeTmAn81

Hey, it's the Marvel community thread. No posts in five days, huh?

maxresdefault.jpg

I still check the thread. I watch the videos folks post and such. But I am not actively playing it these days, so my conversational material is zilch.

Zissou

I still actively play, but don't have much to post unless I make a vid or something. Not really many new people looking for advice, so not much help is needed either. Tournament/weekly talk goes on in other threads.

I still check the thread. I watch the videos folks post and such. But I am not actively playing it these days, so my conversational material is zilch.

Same here. I'm playing other stuff and I kinda got tired of the online's community, so I'm taking a break from Marvel (except when friends come over). I still check the thread daily for new posts, though.

I'm still playing but just sporadically. This is one of the busiest times of the year for new games so most people are busy. Plus I feel that there isn't much to discuss with Marvel at this point in time now as well.

Zissou

I still play a ton- grateful to have local players to play with weekly. I have a weekly every Friday and we've been getting some stronger Japanese players to show up recently. Vairos should he coming this week (plays a bizarro team but makes it work- Haggar/Skrull/Frank). Going to a kusoge Japan event on Sunday and Mamespider will be there- he eliminated me from KVO so I'm looking forward to getting a runback. End of November, marvel is back at mix-up night. Hoping Marlinpie will attend since he'll apparently be in Japan at the time.

Frantic

I haven't played for a little more than a week, though only because I've kinda started playing a few games from my backlog(been having a blast with Dragon's Dogma again) in between college. I still love this game, and I plan to play it again soon, but breaks are good every now and then.

I also sort of want to make a video of some Dante specific stuff, but I've been lazy.

Needlecrash

I've been having a VERY rough time in Marvel lately. I'm dropping combos left and right, learning Dante is quite tasking & I'm having a very hard time trying to establish my neutral game with different characters. My team of Chris/Spencer/Taskmaster can't really do much at all in terms of having good assists and establishing my neutral. So for now, I decided to step back away from it for a while and it's been very refreshing.

After 4 years in my backlog, I finally finished Bayonetta; just in time for the 2nd one.

Zissou

I've been having a VERY rough time in Marvel lately. I'm dropping combos left and right, learning Dante is quite tasking & I'm having a very hard time trying to establish my neutral game with different characters. My team of Chris/Spencer/Taskmaster can't really do much at all in terms of having good assists and establishing my neutral. So for now, I decided to step back away from it for a while and it's been very refreshing.

After 4 years in my backlog, I finally finished Bayonetta; just in time for the 2nd one.

Chris and Task both offer strong neutral assists though. The team probably suffers against characters who can play lame from the top of the screen, but otherwise it sounds solid to me.

Needlecrash

Chris and Task both offer strong neutral assists though. The team probably suffers against characters who can play lame from the top of the screen, but otherwise it sounds solid to me.

I switched from Gun Fire to Grenade Toss assist for defensive purposes. Taskmaster uses the Vertical Arrows assist to deal with those pesky aerial characters (Storm, Morrigan, Dormammu, etc). Sometimes, I'm able to get some characters in a vortex with Chris & Taskmaster and it's quite satisfying. For example, if I'm playing against Doom, I'll toss some grenades while calling Taskmaster assist and Doom will most likely foot dive into me if he's close. I'll dash underneath Doom last minute and he'll not only have to deal with getting hit with the arrows, he'll get heated due to the grenades and I can use Flamethrower for more meter and damage.

But Karst why:(
A lack of people here asking to play. A lack of time. I figured out my team, and it is pretty formulaic at this point. That said, I'm not saying "no Marvel". If someone wanted to play here, I would do it. Though the netcode is so bad that it harms my player pool even more.

Smash came out. Smash is a Marvel-tier game to me (S tier).

Wasn't so much a hateful post as it was the truth. After EVO I didn't really have any desire to play Marvel anymore, as it was replaced by wanting to play more SF.

People can have fun with bad games, you know! :p
I WANT TO KNOW HOW MANY HOURS YOU HAVE BETWEEN THE TWO VERSIONS!

I can't really find Street Fighter fun.

Chris and Taskmaster is so much fun. It was my vanilla team. I can't play Chris anymore but grenade fire for lock down plus machine gun fire and task arrows is crazy and the chip damage from a raw block is great.

Top Bottom