• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II Price/Release date announced: $40, May 26th

Hmm, so there's no new sprites other than recoloring/retracing Ken and Ryu for Violent Ken and Evil Ryu.

It's the same damn SSF2:HDR then. Though there's nothing wrong with being a Street Fighter II with a little more balance and variations of existing characters. Might as well add Decapre as Cammy retraced and Goki as Gouku retraced.

People need to just stop saying it's not the same as SSF2:HDR. I played the shit out of SSF2:HDR, and it was FUN AS HELL. No comment on the price as things drop.
But, it's not the same. Reusing sprites doesn't make it the same game, not with a complete rebalance, new techniques, new modes, new music, new characters with new moves, new background art. Heck, the article you are reacting to included the tweet: "Really different game overall", and that was the 50% complete version they've been taking around to demos.

Also, there are new moves that include newly drawn sprites, like some of the new character moves, or the stun animations (all mentioned in that article)

GrayFoxPL

I actually think 40 dollar is a fair price.

40 bison dollars, that is.

VlKsqLa.gif

I can see Switch tournaments entrants who never touched this version will enter and win then brag how they didn't buy a Switch and borrowed someone elses controller spending no money on Nintendo.

PS4 version if this doesn't sell, doubt they would let it die.

Yeah, I'll be getting it. The fact they've fundamentally changed how Street Fighter II plays while staying true true to its original spirit appeals to me.

Part of me thinks the price is so steep so as not to undervalue the Art of Street Fighter book it contains scans of. I think that book still costs more than $40. I do think it the game should be £20 though and stay in that impulse-buy range.

I would definitely like the choice to play an arcade perfect version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo as well since I don't think we've really had that on console.

The biggest appeal for me is a revitalisation of Street Fighter II matches online. There's always Fightcade however players there tend to be more experienced and dedicated. USFII should bring in players with a variety of skill levels for online and offline I'll be able to challenge complete strangers on the train (I will not do this).

Cuburt

I think the biggest story here is that the subtitle is "The Final Challengers". I take that to mean that this is the last version of SF2 ever. That's pretty monumental. ;P

opricnik

Banned
What's your point? A lot of people are still going to want to get the most use out their new toys.

So indeed you are admitting they are ripping of Switch users because they have no games?

Wow.

I wonder WHY they didn'tuse this tactic on 3DS because they delivered a fully content package with exclusive modes that weren't shit and game wasnt 20 year old for 40$ ?

Super-Street-Fighter-IV_3DS_US_ESRB.jpg

Will Switch GAF judge ol' MaverickHunterX, if he uses his GCU discount and some reward zone coupons to bring this down to $20, or am I part of the problem?

Sorry, all, but biased towards old school Capcom. If they do a port-combo-pack of Maverick Hunter X and Megaman powered up, they're got me day one...

ZeoVGM

Banned
I've payed $50 for a Zelda game with better graphics. I've payed $60 for GTA V three times. I've bought Goodfellas on blu-ray three times.

Just because I own a game or it is old doesn't mean it doesn't have value. People are acting like this should be free. I will $40 for this, knowing full well I will get my money's worth because it's Street Fighter II.

Also yes I would pay for good money for Game Boy Tetris it's digital heroin.

You basically deflected and ignored my point.

You know damn well that selling GTAV for $60 on PS4 is not remotely in the same universe as selling SF2 for $40 on any console in 2017.

So indeed you are admitting they are ripping of Switch users because they have no games?

Wow.

I wonder WHY they didn'tuse this tactic on 3DS because they delivered a fully content package with exclusive modes that weren't shit and game wasnt 20 year old for 40$ ?

That version was also obsolete a month or so after release since it never got the updates that PS3/PC/360 players got.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Wow.

The bar we set to justify to ourselves that we are unable to wait to play Zelda and/or buy an NX sometimes feels very very low. This is a tweaked port of the HD remaster for Xbox 360 and PS3... I am not saying this is an effortless lazy port, but $20 worth of tweaks and changes? Really?

Shadoken

Except all people have Switch at launch already will have other gaming platforms as well

And you know this how?
Nintendo is trying to appeal to a much bigger casual mass market with titles like 1..2..switch. Not everyone who buys the switch are going to be core gamers with other gaming devices.

That said , The game would actually sell a lot more if it was priced better. Especially since it seems to be the only fighting game. And fighters are usually the kind of genre that sell pretty well on a Systems launch. I really dont understand Capcom's thinking here.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And you know this how?
Nintendo is trying to appeal to a much bigger casual mass market with titles like 1..2..switch. Not everyone who buys the switch are going to be core gamers with other gaming devices.

That said , The game would actually sell a lot more if it was priced better. Especially since it seems to be the only fighting game. And fighters are usually the kind of genre that sell pretty well on a Systems launch. I really dont understand Capcom's thinking here.

I do not think it shows much confidence in the system yet... it reeks a bit of "let's maximise profits with the hardcore launch window buyers... who knows what happens in a year's time...". I would have seen $25-35 as a much saner range, especially at the bottone end of things and would have show confidence in the game's legs and the system.

Still, as a business they are assured that hungry early adopters will pay premiums...

Coda

And you know this how?

While Nintendo is trying to appeal to a more casual mass market most of the general public still are unaware of the Switch and I really don't see casual gamers going out and buying a 300 dollar machine just to play 1-2-Switch on day one. I don't see why 1-2-Switch isn't a pack-in game or at least a 20-30 dollar title. Some of the pricing that we've seen so far has been pretty solid, such as the indie pricing, but 1-2-Switch and USFII are kind of boggling. Let's just hope the game offers more than what we think. As of right now the game shouldn't be more that $30 at the most.

blitz64

I just used the Switch Pro controller to play street fighter V on PC.

Pro controller works pretty well. I'm sure the pro controller will work great for SF2

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'll be interested in picking this up once the price drops a bit, but I have to wonder how well it will play online with the Switch's crappy wifi.

Yeah, $40 for a SFII update with two shoto recolors added, the shitty HDR sprites and a nostalgia visuals mode that still somehow looks worse than the CPS2 titles doesn't sound too appealing. Super SFIV 3D at least had/has the novelty of being a decent version of SFIV to have on the go.

Funny thing is, I would have paid $40 for a good Super Turbo port. But from what I understand, ST's code is a total mess from years of Capcom just piling new code on top of World Warrior to the point that it's kind of a miracle ST holds itself together at all.

Haines

Banned
For me it's just the fact if why I do want to play this game again.

Played it tons on Sega. Tons on 360.

If I can grab it for 10 bucks sure.

Give us something new.

Will this come on a physical card in NA? The Amazon listing has an image of traditional box art but says [DIGITAL CODE] in the headline.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This is coming bundled with an art book in Japan, isn't it? I don't think they've confirmed if we will get that in the U.S. or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if that's part of the cost increase.

Top Bottom