• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

Raistlin

BeeDog said:
Oh man, the ones that truly believe these pics are direct captures are truly building themselves up to the impending disappointment.

The game simply won't look as clean as these pics (these are supersized then downsized), and the depth-of-field effects are waaaay unreasonable on the current console hardware.

oh boy

As far as DOF, it is certainly possible - plenty of examples for it. Now the supersampling, unless we are misconstruing arne ... he said no.

Granted, its possible direct capture means rendering at a higher resolution than the real game will run at.

Loudninja

BeeDog said:
Oh man, the ones that truly believe these pics are direct captures are truly building themselves up to the impending disappointment.

The game simply won't look as clean as these pics (these are supersized then downsized), and the depth-of-field effects are waaaay unreasonable on the current console hardware.
So I guess arne is lying right?

BeeDog said:

Arne said they're Direct Captures. Why wouldn't I believe him. Better yet, with Uncharted 1 as an example, I don't have much reason to believe otherwise regardless of Arne's confirmation.

Truant

captscience said:
I'm always surprised during some of my travels how overstimualting some exotic places (Morocco, Vietnam, Cambodia) can be. Even for a lifelong New Yorker.

To me, the style absolutely nails that feeling perfectly. There's a richness to the art in the game that conveys that richness of place and culture, a living place.

I guess. The detail and texture work is there, and it's certainly impressive from a techincal standpoint. I'm still not feeling it, but I gess I have to see it in motion before I can comment on what I don't like about it.

Truant said:
I can see how most of you are going apeshit over this, but I'm not feeling it apart from the sheer technical marvel. There's something that just doesn't sit right with these shots. Maybe there's just too much detail, and my eyes don't know where to focus, but I don't like the vibe here. It just looks too 'game-y'.

Graphics look too good
6/10

Loudninja said:

Direct capture doesn't mean it wasn't captured at a higher resolution then downsampled to improve IQ.

I can definitely see the DOF effects being real though.

Just got my brothers game informer in the mail today and was surprised to see Uncharted 2 on the cover. I like the idea of changing the variety for the locations, hopefully the puzzles aren't gut wrenching like the new Prince of Persia.

They also talked about how they are working on the animations for the cover system and etc. I just hope they drop this whole stupid

"Drake is a normal guy who can overcome unsurmountable odds"

Which.. is a quote from the director himself

BeeDog

Onix said:
oh boy

As far as DOF, it is certainly possible - plenty of examples for it. Now the supersampling, unless we are misconstruing arne ... he said no.

Granted, its possible direct capture means rendering at a higher resolution than the real game will run at.

Could you give some examples of these games that have DoF effects comparable to the screens here? I'm genuinely curious, seeing as most of the games I've played on consoles that HAVE DoF usually have a crappy looking version of it.

Loudninja said:

I never said he did, but I don't see a post where he explicitly states it's a direct grab from ingame. As I and some above already speculated, it's probably a screenshot at a super high resolution (for print mags), then downscaled.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Judging by Uncharted1 I'd say they are all inline excpet for the amount AA applied. But yes it does kinda look like super high res images downsampled but until we know for sure otherwise I'm willing to hope these are representitive of actual gameplay and not bullshots.

Any word on what their doing for sound fx\Music for the game, the first had really really great sound and music.

In terms of gameplay, the gunplay in Uncharted has really grown on me the more I play, but I'd still like a stronger balance toward exploration aspects. The firefights gain intensity, interest, and replay value by allowing you to approach them in several ways; the platforming should too. It would feel more like an adventure if there's more than one way to get from point A to point B (it doesn't have to be completely open, just have the sensation of freedom).

Second, I'd love for the puzzles to scale with difficulty. On easy some Drake's-journal type mechanic would simply solve them for you; on normal you could consult it for tips but you'd still have to complete it yourself; and on hard it'd be all you. (The puzzles would have to be slightly different then, since several from the first game wouldn't really be suited to trial-and-error.) Making this a separate setting would be ideal, to cater to all tastes.

Dirtbag

these are no more bullshots then anything we saw from Gears of Wars stuff, in alot of ways these actually remind me of them given the incredible texture quality.

So these shots probably got a little extra aliasing than you'd regularly see thanks to the down-sampled trick.. but that's basically what the game is going to look like.. I've gotten pretty good at knowing what a PR shot translates to and even knowing that, I can tell you that this game is going to look amazing.

Raistlin

iDoubleSpy said:
I just hope they drop this whole stupid

Which.. is a quote from the director himself

Isn't that why many people like Drake's character? He has that Indiana Jones, Bruce Willis (in almost every movie lol), everyman quality.

The voice overs from the teaser tell me that no, he hasn't changed ... and I'm thankful for it. The voiceovers in the first game were amongst the best ever scripted/performed imo. Drake said what I would be thinking so many times, it's uncanny. Okay, maybe what I was thinking if I was funny :p

Truant

PistolGrip said:
Holy mother of god this sh*t is looking unreal.

I think you just made me realize why I'm iffy about the screens. They reminds me of UE3 stuff, only not awful.

And I hate UE3 with a passion.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Truant said:
I think you just made me realize why I'm iffy about the screens. They reminds me of UE3 stuff, only not awful.

And I hate UE3 with a passion.

nvm... waste of time.

iDoubleSpy said:
I just hope they drop this whole stupid

But that's partly why he's so cool!

And partly why I'm so glad they're adding stealth. I'd rather feel like I have to use smarts and sneakiness to get by overwhelming adversaries instead of having to brutally murder everybody.

.GqueB.

Banned
I hate when they show games this early. Now Im gonna want it injected into my veins for MONTHS now. I already imagine that train scene being playable. Falling debris to avoid, free climbing... me jizzing in muh pants.

WANT...

yurinka

WOW. Awesome screenshots.

Even if they are bullshots (i doubt it), having beated the first Uncharted I'm sure the sequel will look like these screenshots.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Truant said:
Someone has to do it. I've been banned like five times, and people still think I'm serious :lol

I hope the next one sticks.

RavenFox

Banned
Karma said:
So the system will be maximized? Unlike catering to the lower dominator? Why are you asking this when you should know this?

Kaako said:
Holy shit @ the direct feed screens. This game looks at least on par with Gears 2 imo. Wow at the lighting and the texture work. Cannot come soon enough.
On par? Are people afraid something? Let me say it. These DIRECT FEED shots look better than Gears. There isn't anything on the other side of the fence to be on par to. So check yourself ;-)

Onix said:
Isn't that why many people like Drake's character? He has that Indiana Jones, Bruce Willis (in almost every movie lol), everyman quality.

The voice overs from the teaser tell me that no, he hasn't changed ... and I'm thankful for it. The voiceovers in the first game were amongst the best ever scripted/performed imo. Drake said what I would be thinking so many times, it's uncanny. Okay, maybe what I was thinking if I was funny :p

I think the reason I don't like it is because a "normal" character isn't nearly as talented as he is with his pin point accuracy and his incredible dexterity. If anything, that was a decent tagline to get people interested in the first Drake.

At this point I would like to see his mental evolve past the cliche of him growing out a goatee :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BeeDog said:

It will have the image quality and DOF like in the trailer we saw today. Which is fine really. I'm very happy to see the improved lighting, shader effects, and there's even more detail everywhere than in the last game, on these screens.

Truant

iDoubleSpy said:
I think the reason I don't like it is because a "normal" character isn't nearly as talented as he is with his pin point accuracy and his incredible dexterity. If anything, that was a decent tagline to get people interested in the first Drake.

At this point I would like to see his mental evolve past the cliche of him growing out a goatee :D

The voice acting has a lot to do with it. It's why the prince in the new PoP eventually becomes quite likeable as well.

Truant said:
The voice acting has a lot to do with it. It's why the prince in the new PoP eventually becomes quite likeable as well.

It's ashame his character design is so poor that I had to use the Altier costume :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lord Error said:
It will have the image quality and DOF like in the trailer we saw today. Which is fine really. I'm very happy to see the improved lighting, shader effects, and there's even more detail everywhere than in the last game, on these screens.

Besides, if u unlock the DOF option in Resistance 2 and set it to Max, you get the very same effect you see in those pics. So it's perfectly doable cos it has already been done.

Top Bottom