• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
Besides, if u unlock the DOF option in Resistance 2 and set it to Max, you get the very same effect you see in those pics. So it's perfectly doable cos it has already been done.
Trailer shows a very nice DOF as well. They have actually added some kind of motion blur / zoom blur to this one as well, it seems. There's that one screen with Drake on the right side that has the effect I'm talking about.

luca_29_bg

Lord Error said:
Just be happy that IGN didn't put them up first, all compressed with JPEG quality 4, shrunk down to 40KB file size!

First game had both, depending on the pool of water. Why would they change it here.

Beacuse shader effect waters looks "static",much more better that used in resistance 2 and remember that water was the first thing that Evan Wells wants to change if possibile in a possible sequel.

nib95

Banned
Game looks absolutely incredible. Naughty Dog really pulled it off. Kudos to them.

I personally cannot wait to see the Arctic snow levels, and the mountainous bustling city level shown in the concept art come to life. I have a feeling this game will have some epic moments. The visuals though....

It's crazy knowing that this and Killzone 2 are coming all in the same year. What a visual tour de force. Hopefully Heavy Rain, R&C5, and maybe GOW3/GT5 add to that.

Esch

Banned
That DoF is so overdone in some of the pics. Why would you WANT that much? It makes stuff that is really close hard to see :(.

Truant

iDoubleSpy said:

The Prince for the new PoP game. I played it for about 2 hours before his entire image forced me to use the one and only good thing about Assassins Creed, the Altier costume...

Yeah, I got that. I just failed to comprehend how anyone could dislike the new prince, with the complimentary colour palette and all!

RavenFox said:
On par? Are people afraid something? Let me say it. These DIRECT FEED shots look better than Gears. There isn't anything on the other side of the fence to be on par to. So check yourself ;-)

I'm a big 360 fan personally, but even I can see that when utilised properly the PS3 can do stuff the 360 simply couldn't.

I'm not all that technically minded so I could be wrong there, but I'm just going by what I see.

When I see Uncharted 2, Killzone, Heavy Rain and the like, I just think to myself..."I love you 360, but fuck me I can't see you pulling that off."

ND are incredible devs but people shouldn't fall for these screenshots. I'm sure they are real but graphics need to judged when seen in motion. The whole thing falls apart if when I take control of the character and actual move that screen starts to tear etc. People going crazy over still pictures is why devs don't put a higher priority on stability.

Truant

Bearillusion said:
ND are incredible devs but people shouldn't fall for these screenshots. I'm sure they are real but graphics need to judged when seen in motion. The whole thing falls apart if when I take control of the character and actual move that screen starts to tear etc. People going crazy over still pictures is why devs don't put a higher priority on stability.

Have you even played DF?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm a big 360 fan personally, but even I can see that when utilised properly the PS3 can do stuff the 360 simply couldn't.

I'm not all that technically minded so I could be wrong there, but I'm just going by what I see.

When I see Uncharted 2, Killzone, Heavy Rain and the like, I just think to myself..."I love you 360, but fuck me I can't see you pulling that off."

Yeah 360 definitely has excellent looking games I mean Gears 2 was simply incredible at times but the stuff
you mentioned is just in a whole other league. I honestly can say that while I was underwhelmed with a lot of
next gen games at the beginning of this cycle I never expected them to look this good now.

RavenFox said:
It does. Arne said this. He works for ND.

What else would he say? :lol News at 11, post game coming up.

Anyways, despite the normal bullshit involved with these types of caps, artistically this looks phenomenal. Very, very well done.

I like:

28k2fx4.jpg

Ruined landscape with a touch of color gets me every time.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah 360 definitely has excellent looking games I mean Gears 2 was simply incredible at times but the stuff
you mentioned is just in a whole other league. I honestly can say that while I was underwhelmed with a lot of
next gen games at the beginning of this cycle I never expected them to look this good now.

On the flip side of that coin, I have 35 360 games, and only 14 PS3 games.

Unfortunatley for my PS3 I buy my multiplats on 360.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
On the flip side of that coin, I have 35 360 games, and only 14 PS3 games.

Unfortunatley for my PS3 I buy my multiplats on 360.

I just got a 360 in the last couple months but I absolutely see that being the same case for me.

megateto said:
Am I the only one thinking that the texture work is way beyond better than anything we have seen from the PS3?

No it definitely is.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't really say much more than what's been said but this looks stellar. The story is why I'm showing up to this party though.

Raistlin

BeeDog said:
Could you give some examples of these games that have DoF effects comparable to the screens here? I'm genuinely curious, seeing as most of the games I've played on consoles that HAVE DoF usually have a crappy looking version of it.

Comparable? Probably not, but this is ND's second generation game. They are always pushing the boundaries. There were plenty of DOF effects in the first title, and there are plenty of games that use DOF ... just not this complex.

Then again, KZ2 probably is from a tech standpoint. It isn't necessarily as pronounced, but I believe it is multi-tiered, and they've definitely shown per-object DOF (your gun, characters, etc).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Has there been any information that explains why Nathan is going to be in a modern Latin American city that looks like it's ground zero for the next world war - totally devastated and uninhabited?

a1m

Banned
plagiarize said:
Hi res in engine renders no doubt...

This but man, those screens look stunnnnnnniingggggg. I still remember how I waited for the first Uncharted and now this.. come on!

Pallaris

Bearillusion said:

This. As incredible as it looks i'm hoping they've placed just as much emphasis on getting the engine to run smoothly. Tearing wasn't so rampant all the way through Uncharted as it was in the early stages but it was a problem and it did take the shine off it a bit. Pretty much every major game this gen has technical issues from tearing, low average framerate and sub standard resolutions so it would be a suprise if this manages to tick all the boxes in the performance stakes. Hope to be proved wrong.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I just got a 360 in the last couple months but I absolutely see that being the same case for me.

No it definitely is.

Problem is achievements just hooked me in from the start. Somehow (though not logically) they beckon me more than trophies do. Although I DO have them all for Uncharted :D

And 95% of the multiplats perform/look better on 360 too, which is mostly disappointing.

Bought Mirror's Edge on PS3 just to balance out the library and was shattered to have my eyes' bleed from the jagged edges. The 360 version had aliasing issues too, but nowhere NEAR the level the PS3 version has.

That shit just pisses me off.

I also love Live. It's just too good.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I can't really say much more than what's been said but this looks stellar. The story is why I'm showing up to this party though.

Absolutely. I just watched the trailer again. Such a excellent way to get people excited about the story.
-How did he get there?
-Who beat the hell out of him?
-Where the fu@#$ is he?

ND was always a developer I loved on the PS2 but on the PS3 they have definitely become my favorite.
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Problem is achievements just hooked me in from the start. Somehow (though not logically) they beckon me more than trophies do. Although I DO have them all for Uncharted :D

And 95% of the multiplats perform/look better on 360 too, which is mostly disappointing.

Bought Mirror's Edge on PS3 just to balance out the library and was shattered to have my eyes' bleed from the jagged edges. The 360 version had aliasing issues too, but nowhere NEAR the level the PS3 version has.

That shit just pisses me off.

I also love Live. It's just too good.

Yup yup yup. I totally agree I am so happy I came into the 360's life with the new UI because the blades
looked terrible to me and were so jarring compared to the PS3. But Live is amazing and playing Gears 2
co-op with my brother is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

And like you the only game I have 100% trophies in is Uncharted. More because I just wanted a excuse to
play the game again than the trophies.

Truant said:
Have you even played DF?

What's DF? You mean the first? Yes I own it and think it's the best looking game I've ever played. The tearing wasn't enough to detract from the graphics (came close though) but I hope going forward that they work hard on reducing it not just increasing detail with no regard to stability.

NeoUltima

kaching said:
Has there been any information that explains why Nathan is going to be in a modern Latin American city that looks like it's ground zero for the next world war - totally devastated and uninhabited?
It's Nepal, near the Himalayan mountains. That "El Dorado" sign is probably just a throwback to Drakes Fortune.

GeoramA said:
:lol

Thanks for the advice, but Naughty Dog's track record speaks for itself.

Did you even read my whole post? Jak 3 had major tearing that ruined the game for me and don't want to see ND go down that same path on PS3.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
NeoUltima said:
It's Nepal, near the Himalayan mountains. That "El Dorado" sign is probably just a throwback to Drakes Fortune.
Fair enough, it was a quick glance at the city details. Still, modern city, completely obliterated and uninhabited - what's the deal?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yup yup yup. I totally agree I am so happy I came into the 360's life with the new UI because the blades
looked terrible to me and were so jarring compared to the PS3. But Live is amazing and playing Gears 2
co-op with my brother is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

And like you the only game I have 100% trophies in is Uncharted. More because I just wanted a excuse to
play the game again than the trophies.

In Resistance 2 mode right now.

Need to get into LBP as well when I have more time.

edit: What's your PSN id? I tried PMing, but your inbox is full :lol

Raistlin

Bearillusion said:

I give this a 5/10

Did anyone else get the Game Informer today?

Holy fuckballs
-No load times whatsoever. Even for checkpoints and respawns.
-Naughty Dog claiming they pushed Cell processor 30% in Uncharted 1, near maximum for this game they think.
-ND wins! Subsurface scattering and occlusion tech! Just what I wanted!!! <3 <3

J-Rzez

BruceLeeRoy said:
I just cant believe any game looks like this.

There ya go, touch that up a lil' for ya! This game is just so fucking beautiful, and it's months away from release? Months to improve upon it? Seriously, wtf.

Raistlin

megateto said:
Am I the only one thinking that the texture work is way beyond better than anything we have seen from the PS3?

Well, Uncharted 1 is pretty much the previous texture king (some would argue, for all consoles) ... so I'm not surprised this at least matches it.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Looking good, Now i just need to pick up the first one cheap. Really liked the demo of the first.

I dont see the huge graphical leap over 1, More of a change of area. Does look better than 1 though.

Top Bottom