• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's |Reviews Thread| Nateness Awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

God forbid I suggest that Uncharted 4 could possibly be criticized. I'll let you all continue what you were doing.

Dude we are not complaining about a good written review who criticized it like how Eurogamer gave U3 an 8 back than (that was a really sad meltdown and Eurogamer retrospectively were right for many Uncharted fans who felt the same after playing the game themselves), we are complaining about a troll that has the same arguments as trolls who give it a 1 star on Amazon, stop with this "can't take criticism" argument, it's got nothing to with it, we are allowed to discuss horrible reviews, that's what this thread is for.

Why are people still calling it a joke review? Comic Riffs is where their video game reviews go, here's more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/category/video-games/

The one in entertainment section is Associate Press's review

Ah, well that clears one thing up.

Edit:

Good Lord.

Well said. Honestly, I'm getting really annoyed with people popping into this thread, reading one or two posts, totally misunderstanding what is being discussed and then passing their judgement upon people discussing what this whole thread is meant to be about - reviews.
Well in this case, a joke review which Metacritic mistakenly added in place of the real review.
Yes it's annoying. I'm going to go home and enjoy the game, and many others like I always do. Nothing wrong with debating what critics think, I love to use the sport analogy here as people are just as crazy (many even more so) over teams and people arent calling them pathetic.

Don't judge ppl..it's a golden rule for a reason.

And wow, I still think this is just so messed up, lol...do people have personal vendettas with studios or something? This is not a well thought-out critical review, and where is the humor supposed to be? Either way opinions are opinions I guess and all that.

Horizon is gonna hit the 95 baby lol!

Dude we are not complaining about a good written review who criticized it like how Eurogamer gave U3 an 8 back than (that was a really sad meltdown and Eurogamer retrospectively were right for many Uncharted fans who felt the same after playing the game themselves), we are complaining about a troll that has the same arguments as trolls who give it a 1 star on Amazon, stop with this "can't take criticism" argument, it's got nothing to with it, we are allowed to discuss horrible reviews, that's what this thread is for.

Go read my post then. I said the same. My addition to the discussion of the horrible review is that I want to see some good criticism of the game because not a lot of it was covered in reviews.

I like the spirit of that review if not the substance. There's room for criticism (and lots to criticise in UC4) that I haven't seen in the reviews. I'm sure opinion will shift as we get further away from release and maybe people will write about it then.

Because I'm watching my roommate play the game.

Love me some "gamers" who like to criticize games without even playing the game! :D

I want to see some good criticism of the game because not a lot of it was covered in reviews.

Please share your criticism with us, as a person who has played the game?

Sky Chief

Next to the name of the writer it says "AP" which is Associated Press. Is this review counted somewhere else in Metacritic under Associated Press?

lol then the 4/10 score from Washington Post is legit I guess -_-

Yeah where did the 4/10 score even come from?

But the review doesn't even have a score attached to it.

At the end of the review he says "four stars out of four" so it's just an error

Memento

lol he calls Dark Souls 2 the sequel to the previous worst game ever made, then goes on to refer to Souls as Open world RPG!

LOL

What the hell? Is this serious? The guy thinks Dark Souls is the worst game ever? I dont want to give it clicks, can somebody confirm it for me?

The Ummah

Banned
Go read my post then. I said the same. My addition to the discussion of the horrible review is that I want to see some good criticism of the game because not a lot of it was covered in reviews.

You can find "good" criticism in the 80-sum reviews that have been posted so far. Nobody has said the game is flawless. What exactly are you looking for?

Daft Punk

Banned
I like the spirit of that review if not the substance. There's room for criticism (and lots to criticise in UC4) that I haven't seen in the reviews. I'm sure opinion will shift as we get further away from release and maybe people will write about it then.

lol Yeah right. This just sounds like you agree with the reviewer and didn't want to say anything. Sack up and speak out if you feel the game has so many criticisms.

Schryver

What a joke and an insult to ND's hard work. I wouldn't mind someone giving a game low score but that is just a shitty fanboy trolling review and the bigger joke is MC counting it. Unbelievable.

Pretty much. Also, even if you aren't a fan of the gameplay, characters, and whatever else (not reading the review until I finish the game) no one can in their right mind give it a 4/10. The fact that it's a graphical showcase with competent writing and acting along with zero to minimal bugs/performance issues make it a 6 or 7 at the absolute worst IMO

UpwindPoet24

Neo Member
4/10 is like something is broken tho lmao this totally had to happen, that sweet 94 was too good to be true and that 95 promised land is farther than ever.

Gurish

What the hell? Is this serious? The guy thinks Dark Souls is the worst game ever? I dont want to give it clicks, can somebody confirm it for me?

There is a link to an article by him calling DS3 the worst game ever, obviously he hates DS1, there is no way a souls fan would call DS3 the worst game ever made even if he is disappointed by it on some level, that is pure hyperbole and insanity.

silva1991

The best game of all time is the worst game ever

Uncharted 2/3 shouldn't have existed

what is his favorite game ever? Devil's Turd?

Gurish

You said you like the spirit of the review, what spirit, of a troll review?

There is nothing to compliment the review on, really nothing, you got enough criticism in other reviews that gave it around the 8 scale.

STEaMkb

I hope that review puts fire in the belly of every Naughty Dog employee. There is a growing number of people who are eager for ND to stumble and trip-up. Not because they are arrogant; but rather, for being consistently good at their jobs.

I would hate for Metacritic to remove it. It should stand for all eternity as a monument to attention-seeking.

N.Domixis

Banned
popcorn-blank.gif

lol

ArmGunar

Why do you all complain about tweets ?

Twitter is here for that, to communicate with people.
He did a review, you can tell him what you think about this, nothing more, nothing less

Dr.Social

Banned

Quotes from the article

When I started Dark Souls II, I had little hope of not falling into another lightless pool of fixation. I had no rhetorical defense for why I was going to do it. You can’t be defiled twice, and already having been swept away into the digital miasma of numbers and growth charts built around killing what was already dead, there was no way to believe it would be better this time. On the contrary, it would be worse, horrible, stupid, mendacious complexity, maximally toxic in its newness, each torturously undiscovered secret and statistical twist energizing the swarm of play workers eager to find friendship and community in demonstrating their worth with game achievement and documentation.

It’s unsurprising that the sequel to the worst videogame ever made is also the worst videogame ever made.

It’s often argued the Dark Souls II teaches players, but one rarely hears about what is being taught. In its exploded plot we are told about love, guilt, greed, sex, war, chauvinism, hatred, and many other safely fictive themes, but we aren’t taught anything about them, nor are they presented in a way in which players could meaningful begin to experiment with them on their own. The game only teaches players about itself. The amount of time and effort spent in learning its lessons is dramatically outweighed by the significance of having that knowledge. What good does it do me to know that Intelligence scaling for magic users becomes half as effective after level 40? What have I learned by knowing that The Rotten’s overhand smash attack can be dodged by rolling directly into it, or that his offhand sweep attack will automatically cause damage even when your character is several feet away.

I learned all this and more, too much more. It took hours, and days, and weeks, and even now, after 150 hours of play, I have only just started to unravel the most arcane parts of the game. Why? This is less an education than a massive structure of enforced compliance, insisting on obedience to illogic by dressing it up as a fantasy diversion, and counterposing curiosity with swift and punishing traps that reset major progress, a kind of negative reinforcement that’s long been established as the least effective form of instruction possible. This fusion of the worst possible teaching method with the least worthwhile knowledge become insidious when applied to a play structure designed for endless repetition, in which the next goal is always moving farther away.

The longer I spend on these quests for achievement and advancement, the more I wish to have never begun them at all. I can think of no worse end to an undertaking than to regret its conception, and for me there can be no better measure for saying Dark Souls II the worst game I’ve ever played.

Servbot24

Banned

He did a review, you can tell him what you think about this, nothing more, nothing less

Being available for the purpose of communication is not a reason to organize an internet mob and harass people.

Gurish

No, dont give this man some attention, if you have to complain, talk to metacritic.

Yea he doesn't deserve to be taken seriously, he wrote a joke review, any troll can do that, the problem starts when the joke review affects a serious thing like MC (like it or not, MC is extremely important for publishers and the industry), they are the guys that need to answer for it, not the troll.

aravuus

Yea he doesn't deserve to be taken seriously, he wrote a joke review, any troll can do that, the problem starts when the joke review affects a serious thing like MC (like it or not, MC is extremely important for publishers and the industry), they are the guys that need to answer for it, not the troll.

Extremely important? Please elaborate

Let's not forget either that it's just one review. It dropped the score from 94 to 93.

I was in the middle of playing Uncharted 4, letting the picture quality and foliation wash over me, I stumbled upon THAT review. That review ruined this game for me. I can't fathom playing a 93 metacritic game in this day and age.

:(

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What in the world happened here? Why is a dude advocating to tweet a reviewer? ಠ_ಠ

Tweets are fine, but they're not conducive to rational discussions, so you typically get really angry attacks directed at the reviewer which is never going to end well. You'll see a mob of people descend on the guy, out for blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom