• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer detailed

Aequitas

they stated that you can buy uncharted points if you don't want to unlock via typical gameplay.

So everything can be unlocked via gameplay alone? Haven't followed many or the UC4 announcements, trying to stay in as much of a blackout as possible.

You're just looking for something to bitch about. Free post launch support and DLC coming and because people are happy about that, you GOTTA be THAT guy. My goodness.

Jesus this is pure insanity. who cares if games are ready at launch like they used to be?! How dare people be upset that features that were STANDARD are now missing. Let's all celebrate waiting!

Previous games had all modes at launch, this game does not, that's the bottom line. The reasons for this might be valid but it is not good news, it's not necessary bad news either. But to jump up and down and celebrate that coop is coming in fall, that's ridiculous.

SomTervo

People are really reading this whole "delayed co-op" thing wrong.

Sure, it's disappointing we won't be playing co-op next week (though trials will be a nice distraction).

But think about it. Uncharted 4 has larger scope than any of the previous games:
- it's longer
- its playable spaces are vastly larger
- it has vehicles
- it has several new mechanics including grappling etc.

What a delayed co-op mode means is that they are bringing as many of these improvements as possible to an already-solid co-op possibility. Would you rather we get an OK co-op mode NOW - a tacked-on OK mode like from 2 and 3 - or would you rather we wait three or four months and enjoy a fantastic mode that does everything we could hope for, with vehicles, larger levels, etc?

They will have delayed it for a reason.

This new paced, considered, strategic Naughty Dog is a very good thing. It's reminding me more and more of Rainbow Six Siege's model - provide great content and keep the players coming back for no additional cost. Which has worked out phenomenally well for them and has made Siege a success.

So everything can be unlocked via gameplay alone? Haven't followed many or the UC4 announcements, trying to stay in as much of a blackout as possible.

Yes. It tells you this right in the OP.

Wise re the blackout

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Free as it should be, no complaints from me. Good stuff.
Looking forward to that co-op as well. :)

I SEE COOP!

rvKFwxD.gif

jjonez18

Seems alittle barebones up front, but at least they got 2/3 of the fan favorites in and more scheduled down the line. And free stuff is always good. Still wish there was a classic mode. Not one of my favorites tbh, but I know countless people who would kill for a classic mode though. The basics of this game are just too good to have all these distractions(mysticals/pdurchaseables/sidekicks) in every mode. Let the petitions begin.

todahawk

Yep, according the post... everything. All content will be available to everyone, no paywalls. They want to keep the community together and un-fractured.

Free maps for life.. thank you Naughty dog.

Oh my god, Im so glad devs are finally stopping map dlc.

I will buy vanity items to show support for mp

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Agreed. Hopefully EA and Activision follows suit, but I will not hold my breath, lol. Even if only 10% of the total sales base purchase the Season Passes, it is enough revenue for them to not stop it.

That twist on Domination sounds fun. I had a lot of fun with just TDM so I expect three solid modes to last across the maps they have at launch.

As for Team Objective, itd be nice to see it return, especially for the less played, but just as fun modes like Chain Reaction.

WinFonda

If they add 4 new maps with each map pack, it'll bring the total map count to 16. Which is more than U2 but less than U3 I think. On the plus side, they're all new maps. On the downside, there's no returning favorites...?

I hope their plans change to add more maps, specifically remastered ones. As the last Uncharted, it should be the king of content and include series staples. Can't imagine Uncharted multiplayer without an iteration of Train Wreck and Village. Old Quarter from U3 is pretty great also.

Also wondering if clan support is gonna be a thing. It should be!

Edit: Just checked, U3 ended up with 24 maps! They remixed essentially all U2 maps for it. It had 12 original maps, and 12 remixed maps.

I don't think it's necessary to bring all U2 maps into U4, but they could include 4 from U2 and 4 from U3, and end up with 24 maps total as U3 did.

SSReborn

I wonder out of Elimination, 3 Team Deathmatch, or Team Objective which mode is gonna be the one to come back in summer or if it's gonna be something new completely?

^ with the way the maps are designed in U2 and U3 I don't know if it'd even be possible to bring them over either way.

And yet people say that this is the worst gaming generation ever...

No online passes? Check
No paid DLC maps? Check
No 30fps MP? Check

What else could you possibly ask for?!

Agreed. Hopefully EA and Activision follows suit, but I will not hold my breath, lol. Even if only 10% of the total sales base purchase the Season Passes, it is enough revenue for them to not stop it.

Oh those two are too big for free map dlc. Especially COD.

Though it really ticks me off, knowing that you can buy dead dlc for games like BF4. Socmany dead servers that make buying dlc a total scam. Not sure why they wont make older dlc Free already

EA would be so cool if they did make free dlc for Titanfall at least.

Anyways, I really didnt think ND would do this. Especially since they wanted to charge for one new map for the LoU remaster.

This is also why I dont mind the mobile micro transaction model in aaa games. Devs seem to make map dlc free, which only benefits them, because why would fans play a game if their friends dont have dlc?

This way, everyone plays together and more people are likely to buy cosmetic stuff. Let's just hope weapon dlc isnt a total game of roulette. I hope they dont screw up the gun balance

VanWinkle

Uhhh...where on earth are all the modes at launch? This makes me worry about the amount of maps.

Where is free-for-all? This is the most disappointing. I know for a fact my brother won't buy this now because that was 80% of the reason he was buying the game. So now I won't be able to play with him.

Uhhh...where on earth are all the modes at launch? This makes me worry about the amount of maps.

Where is free-for-all? This is the most disappointing. I know for a fact my brother won't buy this now because that was 80% of the reason he was buying the game. So now I won't be able to play with him.

8 maps.

I would also have totally paid for co-op separately.

Weapon dlc is the only worry. Hopefully it can be like Rainbow 6, where you can buy things with ingame currency, alongside real money. As opposed to COD, where you spend money on just a chance to get an item you want, by playing the dumb roulette. I know ND has something like that, but hopefully that's an option, and not the only way

They should consider launching co-op as a standalone, for those that dont already have UC4. Like Killzone's Intercept mode, though that wasnt available for Shadow Fall owners.

Whatever they do, Im just really happy that map dlc is free. I can be much more receptive to buying micro transactions knowing I have total peace of mind playing MP without having to pull out my wallet to keep up

This is the way MP games should be.

SSReborn

Oh crap even forgot about this mode another weird omissions, though the new maps don't really lend well to it imo.
25962599834_018611e860_z.jpg

Is that a silencer on Drake's AK? Has anything been said about weapon customization?

I don't know if there is outright customization but there is some form of silent weapons it's mentioned in the tutorial from the beta

reKon

Banned
Can't read much b/c I'm at work, but I can't believe people were complaining. I mean damn, lol. I didn't see this yet, but can anyone confirm that you can do play maps without mystical/side kicks. This + horde mode with a team online were my biggest wants.

25962599834_018611e860_z.jpg

Is that a silencer on Drake's AK? Has anything been said about weapon customization?

There are silencers, at the least. This is to counter showing up on the radar that they have now.

I dont think we'll see much else, like in UC3. More like LoU, which had just the silencer option

VanWinkle

There also should have been a "hardcore" mode where there are no mysticals and boosters. I figured for sure we would have had that at launch.

SSReborn

Can't read much b/c I'm at work, but I can't believe people were complaining. I mean damn, lol. I didn't see this yet, but can anyone confirm that you can do play maps without mystical/side kicks. This + horde mode with a team online were my biggest wants.
I don't think it mentions a "hardcore mode".

Jesus this is pure insanity. who cares if games are ready at launch like they used to be?! How dare people be upset that features that were STANDARD are now missing. Let's all celebrate waiting!

Previous games had all modes at launch, this game does not, that's the bottom line. The reasons for this might be valid but it is not good news, it's not necessary bad news either. But to jump up and down and celebrate that coop is coming in fall, that's ridiculous.

You can be upset all you want, I'm just saying you're bitching because people are excited about free DLC and maps down the line?? You're projecting as I didn't say "YAY I'M HAPPY COOP IS COMING LATER!!", I simply was excited about the post support DLC being all free.

Stop creating this narrative that this is what people are excited about. Tag the people who are jumping in joy about coop coming later.
Try again.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol nearly FIVE years in development and still no coop at launch.

Not sure what the hell went wrong with this game. ND was able to put out a meaty Uncharted campaign with multiplayer and coop TWICE last gen and it only took them 2 years each. Even if we assume the multiplayer team didnt start working on it until TLOU shipped in June of 2013 that's nearly three years of dev time. TLOU didnt even have coop so just what the hell went wrong?

Free DLC maps is always a good thing. Glad to see Sony leading the charge here.

VanWinkle

Not sure what the hell went wrong with this game. ND was able to put out a meaty Uncharted campaign with multiplayer and coop TWICE last gen and it only took them 2 years each. Even if we assume the multiplayer team didnt start working on it until TLOU shipped in June of 2013 that's nearly three years of dev time. TLOU didnt even have coop so just what the hell went wrong?

Huge changes happened, with Amy Hennig and others leaving a while back. This wasn't really a straightforward development cycle by any means.

Doesn't make it any less disappointing at the lack of content at launch, though.

WinFonda

I wonder out of Elimination, 3 Team Deathmatch, or Team Objective which mode is gonna be the one to come back in summer or if it's gonna be something new completely?

^ with the way the maps are designed in U2 and U3 I don't know if it'd even be possible to bring them over either way.

Yeah I mean they'd have to be adjusted for some of the new mechanics (which is kinda the point!), but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Also out of those 3 modes, in U3 at least, Team Objective was the most active playlist. U3's team objective was really good. Having Turf War, Chain Reaction, Treasure Hunter, Marked Man, and King of the Hill rolled into a single mode covers a lot of bases.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Not sure what the hell went wrong with this game.
ND was able to put out a meaty Uncharted campaign with multiplayer and coop TWICE last gen and it only took them 2 years each. Even if we assume the multiplayer team didnt start working on it until TLOU shipped in June of 2013 that's nearly three years of dev time. TLOU didnt even have coop so just what the hell went wrong?

Holy shit, are we overreacting much? Co-op in uncharted isn't a mandatory headline feature and never was. I personally saw co-op in the Uncharted games as a short and sweet bonus for after I finished the campaign. It's not like they've ever touted this franchise as a rich co-op experience or something and i'd assume it's quite low on the list of priorities for ND.

I'm happy we're actually getting some postrelease support with new stuff. Co-op is just a bonus.

Dez_

I like that the maps will be included for everyone. No split online community sounds really great. Can't say that I'm happy to see the coop is months down the road. I would love to hear behind the scenes at a later point, and I really hope the wait is worth it. I've mostly stayed in the dark about this game for a really long time. I still expect great things.

zkorejo

That sounds REALLY good. The only gripe I have ever had with ND was their decision to make DLC weapons for TLOU, some of which are really powerful.

I am happy they listened to all who called them out on it. I was going to play Uncharted 4 MP for the next few years anyways, but now it seems like the experience will be even better.

Amazing news.

EDIT: They should have atleast given us a number of maps for launch though. I hope its not just 4-5 maps with "DLC maps coming later" kind of a thing.

Top Bottom