• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer detailed

Loudninja

The Competitive/PVP maps will be free, but I'm not sure about Co-op stuff?
Hmm?

They were pretty clear in the OP
Right off the bat, we want to highlight that all future maps and modes will be included with Uncharted 4 at no additional cost, and all vanity and gameplay in-game store items will be unlockable through gameplay!
This means that the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer community won’t be fragmented by different types of DLC, and that those who are loyal in participating in the community will be rewarded. Our DLC release approach will represent an entirely new direction for Naughty Dog, and we are confident it will have a hugely positive impact and keep the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer community thriving.

Boke1879

Yeah its pretty great to see long time support outline like that.

Not to mention the SP DLC.

Yup. I think more games need to adopt this model and road map their content. Gives the game longer life imo. Don't know why people are spinning this as bad news.

Jesus this is pure insanity. who cares if games are ready at launch like they used to be?! How dare people be upset that features that were STANDARD are now missing. Let's all celebrate waiting!

Previous games had all modes at launch, this game does not, that's the bottom line. The reasons for this might be valid but it is not good news, it's not necessary bad news either. But to jump up and down and celebrate that coop is coming in fall, that's ridiculous.

Posts like these really piss me off...

You have no clue how much money/work/hours goes into any of these features, yet you feel you're in the position to make the call on what should be "standard" and what shouldn't be??

It's like you're only thinking about yourself... What about ppl who don't care for coop, or the ppl that are fine to play the normal campaign first, then jump into multiplayer... You want them to wait for a feature the majority won't use just because you have to wait ??

Edit: and if you don't want there to be wait i guess you want them to rush it in, to make it on launch, so you can complain about how rushed it is right?

Fine you're disappointed that you have to wait but don't act like you know for sure ND is screwing its fans over. You would rather wait for all the features, thats fine, you don't need to justify it with bullshit

Posts like these really piss me off...

You have no clue how much money/work/hours goes into any of these features, yet you feel you're in the position to make the call on what should be "standard" and what shouldn't be??

It's like you're only thinking about yourself... What about ppl who don't care for coop, or the ppl that are fine to play the normal campaign first, then jump into multiplayer... You want them to wait for a feature the majority won't use just because you have to wait ??

Fine you're disappointed that you have to wait but don't act like you know for sure ND is screwing its fans over. You would rather wait for all the features, thats fine, you don't need to justify it with bullshit

Nope never said any of that. I said repeatedly this is not good news nor is it bad news. I am sure they have their reasons. Clearly they don't want to screw people over. Still the news of coop not being available till fall is a huge disappointment for me. That news trumps all other in this thread for me. This is not a good news thread for me, it's a "damn we are not getting what was standard in the last two uncharted games at launch" thread.

Everyone seems super defensive about daring to be disappointed at anything the naughty gods do. This very well may be one of the best games ever, doesn't change the fact that not having coop at launch is disappointing.

Am I crazy for wanting relic type historical cosmetic gear for all the characters in MP?

its kinda something I have been thinking about since the Conquistador helmets in Uncharted 1, Jade weapons in Uncharted's MP and the headgear.

Its interesting cosmetic loot but actually makes some sense as these characters might encounter that type of stuff anyway.
Im talking full suits of (Conquistador, Knight, Samurai, etc) armor.

About the modes: In UC2, a lot of them were just not good enough to be standalones. Which is why UC3 had Team Objective.

But I think looking at this new Captain mode, it seems ND is doing some good work by making traditional modes with a unique twist.

Plunder, TDM, and Command sound like they will offer great variety, and they will be beefy, standalone modes.

Team Objective existed to mix together modes like Chain Reaction and Turf Wars, which by themselves were weak modes. I dont see FFA coming back because of how team oriented this game is. I think Team Objective is too popular not to be the DLC mode. And I think they can easily throw in things like Chain Reaction, Marked Man, and Turf War into it. I definitely loved Team Objective, and I think it's great to see Killzone's fantastic MP idea in more MP games.

Am happy to see the paid map pack model fade away.

Co-op is a big surprise for me as I haven't been following this game too closely, and I do hope it ends up similar to what was offered in UC2. Loved the hell out of UC2's co-op, mainly adventure mode, but siege as well.

Killzone Shadowfall also had its co-op mode launch seven months after release, and it was a ghost town in weeks. Hope this one fairs better.

Nope never said any of that. I said repeatedly this is not good news nor is it bad news. I am sure they have their reasons. Clearly they don't want to screw people over. Still the news of coop not being available till fall is a huge disappointment for me. That news trumps all other in this thread for me. This is not a good news thread for me, it's a "damn we are not getting what was standard in the last two uncharted games at launch" thread.

Everyone seems super defensive about daring to be disappointed at anything the naughty gods do. This very well may be one of the best games ever, doesn't change the fact that not having coop at launch is disappointing.

Re-reading you're comments i guess i overracted alittle, my fault

VanWinkle

About the modes: In UC2, a lot of them were just not good enough to be standalones. Which is why UC3 had Team Objective.

But I think looking at this new Captain mode, it seems ND is doing some good work by making traditional modes with a unique twist.

Plunder, TDM, and Command sound like they will offer great variety, and they will be beefy, standalone modes.

Team Objective existed to mix together modes like Chain Reaction and Turf Wars, which by themselves were weak modes. I dont see FFA coming back because of how team oriented this game is. I think Team Objective is too popular not to be the DLC mode. And I think they can easily throw in things like Chain Reaction, Marked Man, and Turf War into it. I definitely loved Team Objective, and I think it's great to see Killzone's fantastic MP idea in more MP games.

TDM is not a "beefy standalone mode". It's just two teams shooting each other until you get to a certain score. The only thing that looks kind of unique is the Command mode. And I certainly don't see "great variety" in having three modes.

FFA was a fantastic addition to UC3, a game that is just as "team oriented" as UC4. It's a huge disappointment to not see it here.

SSReborn

Actually we dont really know what it is sounds fun though.

Oh okay, because that's basically what my mind jumped too originally and I assumed "co-op" that was coming was actually going to be like the co-op adventures in UC3 which had more of a storyline and structure.

Speaking of something positive and completely out of the blue I never expected them to bring back the cinema features from uc2 that's completely unexpected and actually a very welcome addition.

Loudninja

This part is interesting:
An Evolving Experience: We intend to keep the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer experience as fresh as possible for as long as possible. Over time, Naughty Dog will release a variety of new maps, modes and gameplay items at no additional cost (including Co-op), that will introduce new rules and play styles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yep if ithat depends on those evil nd employees you wouldnt get shit.
i mean they are just bringing the best 3rd person shooter of this generation with a campaign that i am 100% no other studio will match. with a tons of content mp and sp but yeah. lets just pretend that the order, quantum brake, tomb raider match whats uncharted 4 is offering

ND isnt matching what ND was offering. Coop was available at launch in the last two games. It's not anymore. Now it's a DLC item. I dont think it's going to make or break the game, but i think it's interesting that the game got twice the dev time and is still lacking features.

ND is in a league of its own. Their games are in a league of their own. No one gives a shit about The Order, QB or TR when they talk about best games of the generation or all time. But Uncharted 2 and TLOU are almost always part of the discussion if not leading the charge. ND plays by a different set of rules and they deserve criticism when they fail to deliver.

I am interested in seeing just what the hell went behind the scenes with this game. TWO major firings, one director change, MULTIPLE delays. They can make a movie off of this shit.

It's funny to see so many fans just refusing to accept criticism of their favorite devs. You can be a fan, and i am one of the biggest ND fans, and still criticize them from time to time. more importantly though, as a fan i am interested to see what went wrong and why. 4.5 years is a long time to make a game even if the team was split in two.

DFox

Will it still have the insane ammount of lag compensation and 15hz tick rate?

Would be nice too hear details about tickrate and other network related details like lag compensation and how they are handling host ended games.

Since the game is p2p client based the tickrate it isn't as important as in server based games games like Battlefield(40hz) and Rainbow Six(60hz). Call of Duty on consoles has had 16(hz) tickrate but since all the player interactions running in the client it still feels solid for the end user.

hesido

I hope new maps arrive before I lose my interest in the game. Something similar to happened to me with Battlefront. Somewhat I was burnt by playing the same similar maps and I felt a disconnect, couldn't get back in after the weapon balance changes etc etc. even for the new content. There are new maps I haven't played.

And of course we're talking about ND here. They can radically "re-balance" (read: screw up) the game post launch. Hope that doesn't happen with UC4, any re-balance should be done in increments before the game feels like a different game.

Would be nice too hear details about tickrate and other network related details like lag compensation and how they are handling host ended games.

Since the game is p2p client based the tickrate it isn't as important as in server based games games like Battlefield(40hz) and Rainbow Six(60hz). Call of Duty on consoles has had 16(hz) tickrate but since all the player interactions running in the client it still feels solid for the end user.
It's equally important in p2p games. Host = server.

titanfall-de-limportance-dun-bon-tickrate-ME3050237385_2.jpg

At the very least, they should give us a tickrate slider (10-60 Hz) for Custom Games.

ps: I'm not sure if Jaguar can handle the increased CPU load though...

Pay full price for the game, get additional features and modes that should have been in the game in the first place months later.

Love this new trend.

It's brilliant.
It's disappointing yet reasonable.

"Free" DLC -> Longer lifespan of the game -> More sales.

VanWinkle

I mean, it's really a brilliant marketing move on their part. People see all this free DLC and think "Wow, ND is so generous!" but ignore the fact that we don't have nearly as much content at launch as the last game, and the DLC will just bring it closer to that.

Did you played closed and public multiplayer beta?
Most of us did, it's just that no one from ND has discussed this subject in public.

I love the transparency that comes from discussing their MP roadmap plans with us, so I guess they could also talk about their (hopefully improved?) netcode... ;)

FATALITY

Banned
ND isnt matching what ND was offering. Coop was available at launch in the last two games. It's not anymore. Now it's a DLC item. I dont think it's going to make or break the game, but i think it's interesting that the game got twice the dev time and is still lacking features.

ND is in a league of its own. Their games are in a league of their own. No one gives a shit about The Order, QB or TR when they talk about best games of the generation or all time. But Uncharted 2 and TLOU are almost always part of the discussion if not leading the charge. ND plays by a different set of rules and they deserve criticism when they fail to deliver.

I am interested in seeing just what the hell went behind the scenes with this game. TWO major firings, one director change, MULTIPLE delays. They can make a movie off of this shit.

It's funny to see so many fans just refusing to accept criticism of their favorite devs. You can be a fan, and i am one of the biggest ND fans, and still criticize them from time to time. more importantly though, as a fan i am interested to see what went wrong and why. 4.5 years is a long time to make a game even if the team was split in two.

dude did you realise this game its just bigger in every way compared to the old ones. they had to make everything from the ground up. this is not u2 to u3 situation. its easy when you have the same gameplay same level design and make a sequel. the work in uncharted is almost the same as new ip. the difference is they already have the story, the characters, etc. please think before you talk on what's going on at nd.
if there was u5 i would guess those features would be there day one.

uncharted 4 is huge, full of details. hell that shit looks like those poster from paradise islands.

Just curious... would people be willing to endure a 4th delay until late 2017, just for the sake of getting a "full" product?

I mean, it's really a brilliant marketing move on their part. People see all this free DLC and think "Wow, ND is so generous!" but ignore the fact that we don't have nearly as much content at launch as the last game, and the DLC will just bring it closer to that.

MP needs to be supported somehow if it wants to live. That's usually through map dlc, which hurts the community.

We now get that map DLC for free, so it gets subsidized in other ways.

We have 8 MP maps at launch. That's about standard these days. What modes did you realistically want to see launched with the MP? Team Objective is the big one, but I am sure that will come with the miscellaneous modes tossed in.

Outside of the modes, what else is lacking? Besides the co-op, which is not something that we are necessarily guaranteed to have every installation.

I mean, they could have not done any co-op plans at all. It's not like Last of Us was any less of a game without it, right?

Maybe instead of doing a basic co-op mode, we'll get something more promising as ND puts the work into making it special, and making it on their own schedule

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just curious... would people be willing to endure a 4th delay until late 2017, just for the sake of getting a "full" product?

ProTip: It would still be DLC, because the disc is already maxed at 48GB with single player content.

And no, I would rather have the complete single player experience, the multiplayer as is, and have it feel more refreshed with added content over time.

VanWinkle

MP needs to be supported somehow if it wants to live. That's usually through map dlc, which hurts the community.

We now get that map DLC for free, so it gets subsidized in other ways.

We have 8 MP maps at launch. That's about standard these days. What modes did you realistically want to see launched with the MP? Team Objective is the big one, but I am sure that will come with the miscellaneous modes tossed in.

Outside of the modes, what else is lacking? Besides the co-op, which is not something that we are necessarily guaranteed to have every installation.

I mean, they could have not done any co-op plans at all. It's not like Last of Us was any less of a game without it, right?

Maybe instead of doing a basic co-op mode, we'll get something more promising as ND puts the work into making it special, and making it on their own schedule

Main things I wanted at launch that I thought were reasonable? At least a couple of remade maps alongside the new ones (UC3 came with four), an FFA mode, a team objective mode, a classic mode, and some kind of co-op (was hoping for co-op adventure).

And just because I wanted it at launch doesn't mean I wanted a basic co-op mode. I think it would have been reasonable to expect a really fleshed out MP experience so long after the release of UC3. I know that's not what we're getting, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to have expected it.

SomTervo

It's equally important in p2p games. Host = server.

titanfall-de-limportance-dun-bon-tickrate-ME3050237385_2.jpg

At the very least, they should give us a tickrate slider (10-60 Hz) for Custom Games.

ps: I'm not sure if Jaguar can handle the increased CPU load though...

What was TLoU's tickrate like? Felt pretty good but there were moments when it was a bit dodge.

Slower-paced than this, anyway.

In the long run, as crappy as it looks initially, this is the best decision for the longevity of the game. It ensures that the game will have some legs and people will be playing the mp for a while which is good for all of us who plan to play for a long time. Would we rather have everything at launch but not many people to play with three month later with very little support?

To add to this I think ND's priority is clearly to provide the best single player campaign in the Uncharted Franchise to date, which is what the game is really all about. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this post game mp content is not done yet. Now ask yourself would you rather they rushed everything to release it together or delay the game 6 months to release with everything together? And if they released everything now what would there be for future support?

VanWinkle

In the long run, as crappy as it looks initially, this is the best decision for the longevity of the game. It ensures that the game will have some legs and people will be playing the mp for a while which is good for all of us who plan to play for a long time. Would we rather have everything at launch but not many people to play with three month later with very little support?

No. Well, the co-op would definitely benefit more from being at launch and having a bunch of players. But I would have expected a really full-featured MP at launch, and then be ecstatic to learn of free continued support! Instead we're getting basically a half-featured MP at best, along with free continued support.

Main things I wanted at launch that I thought were reasonable? At least a couple of remade maps alongside the new ones (UC3 came with four), an FFA mode, a team objective mode, a classic mode, and some kind of co-op (was hoping for co-op adventure).

And just because I wanted it at launch doesn't mean I wanted a basic co-op mode. I think it would have been reasonable to expect a really fleshed out MP experience so long after the release of UC3. I know that's not what we're getting, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to have expected it.

I dont think map remakes are reasonable to expect. These maps are made for a much different UC MP. I also think people would have really been complaining about old maps for a new game and seen it as lazy work (if it was a part of the launch maps)

Also, old maps would take up significant time and resources

The only real thing we're lacking is Team Objective, but I think it's the most likely mode to come back.

I also think classic mode would be too redundant if it was just stripped down UC4. It would be easy to do, but very lazy. Im hoping they can work out something better than UC3 classic

Im hoping co-op is worth the wait.

Grisby

The 'no additional cost' thing weirds me out a bit, but I'm down for free.

Kind of stinks that there's no co-op at launch, but at least it's coming.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The 'no additional cost' thing weirds me out a bit, but I'm down for free.

Kind of stinks that there's no co-op at launch, but at least it's coming.

Why is it weird? So far I hope only vanity items are what cost real dollars.

Free maps with paid vanity items is the correct way to do multiplayer dlc these days. No fragmentation.
They really need to make these interesting though, just hats and gun camo won't cut it.
d3b4a72cb14df376f89259f6d83aa579.jpg

Like $2-$3.99 For something like that is okay imo(if usable by multiple characters)

And do a new version of
6275541735_d82353779d.jpg

Top Bottom