• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer detailed

lol nearly FIVE years in development and still no coop at launch.

Not sure what the hell went wrong with this game. ND was able to put out a meaty Uncharted campaign with multiplayer and coop TWICE last gen and it only took them 2 years each. Even if we assume the multiplayer team didnt start working on it until TLOU shipped in June of 2013 that's nearly three years of dev time. TLOU didnt even have coop so just what the hell went wrong?

Free DLC maps is always a good thing. Glad to see Sony leading the charge here.

BUt uncharted 3 reception wasn't 100% positive. Many didn't like the pacing of the SP campaign . Lot of complains were made about the bullet sponges in MP co-op ,not to mention the complains about the MP dlc delivery or the balance since many aspects present during the UC3 beta disapeared .

It was done in 2 years , yeah , but it wasn't all that smooth . so i'm personnaly fine that they take longer and everything works (hopefully) better this time around

SSReborn

Yeah I mean they'd have to be adjusted for some of the new mechanics (which is kinda the point!), but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Also out of those 3 modes, in U3 at least, Team Objective was the most active playlist. U3's team objective was really good. Having Turf War, Chain Reaction, Treasure Hunter, Marked Man, and King of the Hill rolled into a single mode covers a lot of bases.

Any maps in paticular you'd want to see re-worked?

jett

D-Member
I guess they're saving classic mode for one of these updates. Honestly it feels like it would be an easy thing to implement... :p

So what about that "triple pack" thing though? It's a sort of season pass and it promised multiplayer content. Just gonna be early unlocks of skins and vanity stuff I guess.

Loudninja

I guess they're saving classic mode for one of these updates. Honestly it feels like it would be an easy thing to implement... :p

So what about that "triple pack" thing though? It's a sort of season pass and it promised multiplayer content. What now?

Triple Pack

For those of you who purchased the Triple Pack (also included in the Digital Deluxe Edition), you’ll gain future access to:

The first-ever single-player story add-on for the Uncharted series
Two multiplayer packs to enhance your multiplayer experience:

MP Pack #1
– Long Gun
– Booster
– Skin
– Hat
– Taunt

MP Pack #2
– Pistol
– Booster
– Mystical
– Hat
– Taunt
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/02/uncharted-4-multiplayer-guide-2/

I SEE COOP!
YGR9hbf.gif

As I feared there's no CO-OP adventure or horde mode in Uncharted 4.

Just trials aka MP with bots...
YiEbfSI.gif

This is the most startling part of all of this to me.

I dont want a half assed hardcore mode. It just wont be a popular playlist if all it does it take out mysticals, power weapons, and sidekicks. It would be very redundant when we have TDM and a ranked TDM already in the game.

They would need to make it stand out somehow, and I think the best way to do that is to bring back weapon pick ups, with mystical pick ups thrown in, as that would change the way the mode is played.

SSReborn

I dont want a half assed hardcore mode. It just wont be a popular playlist if all it does it take out mysticals, power weapons, and sidekicks. It would be very redundant when we have TDM and a ranked TDM already in the game.

They would need to make it stand out somehow, and I think the best way to do that is to bring back weapon pick ups, with mystical pick ups thrown in, as that would change the way the mode is played.

That sounds like it would be dope.

zkorejo

The main reason people are asking for Classic mode is because they dont want mysticals/sidekicks in it.

Power weapon pick ups sounds more than enough and if they change anything else it would not really be a "Classic" mode then anyways.

FATALITY

Banned

Not sure what the hell went wrong with this game. ND was able to put out a meaty Uncharted campaign with multiplayer and coop TWICE last gen and it only took them 2 years each. Even if we assume the multiplayer team didnt start working on it until TLOU shipped in June of 2013 that's nearly three years of dev time. TLOU didnt even have coop so just what the hell went wrong?

yep if ithat depends on those evil nd employees you wouldnt get shit.
i mean they are just bringing the best 3rd person shooter of this generation with a campaign that i am 100% no other studio will match. with a tons of content mp and sp but yeah. lets just pretend that the order, quantum brake, tomb raider match whats uncharted 4 is offering

People are really reading this whole "delayed co-op" thing wrong.

Sure, it's disappointing we won't be playing co-op next week (though trials will be a nice distraction).

But think about it. Uncharted 4 has larger scope than any of the previous games:
- it's longer
- its playable spaces are vastly larger
- it has vehicles
- it has several new mechanics including grappling etc.

What a delayed co-op mode means is that they are bringing as many of these improvements as possible to an already-solid co-op possibility. Would you rather we get an OK co-op mode NOW - a tacked-on OK mode like from 2 and 3 - or would you rather we wait three or four months and enjoy a fantastic mode that does everything we could hope for, with vehicles, larger levels, etc?

They will have delayed it for a reason.

This new paced, considered, strategic Naughty Dog is a very good thing. It's reminding me more and more of Rainbow Six Siege's model - provide great content and keep the players coming back for no additional cost. Which has worked out phenomenally well for them and has made Siege a success.

Yes. It tells you this right in the OP.

Wise re the blackout

I think you are expecting way too much out of gamers on a forum. There is too much sense in your post.

Noobcraft

I'm OK with microtransactions subsidizing future content for everyone like Halo 5's Req system, it's a great way to keep the content coming.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

N1l2fNs.gif

The main reason people are asking for Classic mode is because they dont want mysticals/sidekicks in it.

Power weapon pick ups sounds more than enough and if they change anything else it would not really be a "Classic" mode then anyways.

Id take just power weapons, but I dont see the harm in having mystical pick ups

The whole idea of classic mode revolves around map control and controlling the advantage of having more powerful weapons. A mystical pick up would be very fun to fight over and would add a more nuanced advantage compared to the default mode, where mysticals are used often.

Also, let's not pretend classic mode was the bestest thing. Constant grenade spam, boosters that let you see through walls, hipfire accuracy/magnetism, melee, boosters like fleet foot.

To me, the best way to bring back a classic mode is to bring back the concept of pick ups and map control. And if power weapons can be fought over, I dont see why mysticals cant be thrown in. Regardless, a classic mode would be unique with pick ups, as opposed to "UC4 with the core stuff removed"

UC3 classic mode was an awfully poor imitation, and I dont want a lazy classic mode.

You can be upset all you want, I'm just saying you're bitching because people are excited about free DLC and maps down the line?? You're projecting as I didn't say "YAY I'M HAPPY COOP IS COMING LATER!!", I simply was excited about the post support DLC being all free.

Stop creating this narrative that this is what people are excited about. Tag the people who are jumping in joy about coop coming later.
Try again.

There are a bunch of post of people saying "coop! Yes!!!" As if coop wasn't going to be in the game. Just like you don't people telling you to not be excited about free DLC, don't tell me to not be upset that half the online content will be coming in months.

There are a bunch of post of people saying "coop! Yes!!!" As if coop wasn't going to be in the game. Just like you don't people telling you to not be excited about free DLC, don't tell me to not be upset that half the online content will be coming in months.

Half?

Coop is half now?

I don't get how all this is great news as so many are claiming. Instead of getting everything at launch free we get everything late but free. Have we gotten so used to being screwed over that just the thought of not paying extra for multiplayer is a plus now.

This isnt bad news but it's not good news either.
Free DLC maps + few modes (more added later) >>> Paid DLC maps + lots of modes from the beginning

How is this different from Splatoon?

Free DLC maps + few modes (more added later) >>> Paid DLC maps + lots of modes from the beginning

How is this different from Splatoon?

I am not a fan of splatoons way of doing things either. I didn't buy it until a full game was there. I like buying full products not half of one. Now Uncharted is mostly a single player game so whatever but I refused to get splatoon until it was mostly all out. I refuse to get SFV. I am just not on board with this buy it now and we give you the game in pieces later way of doing things.

Half?

Coop is half now?

It was half to me, I spent about the same time on both modes in past games. I enjoyed coop more. Plus there are missing competitive modes too. So yes half.

AKyemeni

The whole idea of classic mode revolves around map control and controlling the advantage of having more powerful weapons. A mystical pick up would be very fun to fight over and would add a more nuanced advantage compared to the default mode, where mysticals are used often.

Also, let's not pretend classic mode was the bestest thing. Constant grenade spam, boosters that let you see through walls, hipfire accuracy/magnetism, melee, boosters like fleet foot.

To me, the best way to bring back a classic mode is to bring back the concept of pick ups and map control. And if power weapons can be fought over, I dont see why mysticals cant be thrown in. Regardless, a classic mode would be unique with pick ups, as opposed to "UC4 with the core stuff removed"

UC3 classic mode was an awfully poor imitation, and I dont want a lazy classic mode.
Not only that but the pickups have to be compelling. The power weapons and mysticals have to be severely buffed in order for me to go outta my way to get them.

zkorejo

I agree with the bold part, and that is what it should be. I dont think they will add any additional boosters specifically for the classic mode such as SA/fleetfoot etc., unless they are planning to bring them back regardless.

I personally wouldn't mind mysticals together with power weapons scattered around and up for grabs but I am pretty sure the majority of the people asking for a classic mode will hate it, because they mainly want a mode where they can have extended shootouts without any over the top weapons/abilities such as cluster-bombs/Wrath of El-Dorado that have the ability to wipe out an entire team.

jwk94

Not only that but the pickups have to be compelling. The power weapons and mysticals have to be severely buffed in order for me to go outta my way to get them.

The power weapons needs to be buffer period. The rocket launch is weaker than it was in the previous games.

I am not a fan of splatoons way of doing things either. I didn't buy it until a full game was there. I like buying full products not half of one. Now Uncharted is mostly a single player game so whatever but I refused to get splatoon until it was mostly all out. I refuse to get SFV. I am just not on board with this buy it now and we give you the game in pieces later way of doing things.

It was half to me, I spent about the same time on both modes in past games. I enjoyed coop more. Plus there are missing competitive modes too. So yes half.

Are you suggesting that Uncharted 4 will be half the product it could have been come release?

There are a bunch of post of people saying "coop! Yes!!!" As if coop wasn't going to be in the game.
People didn't know if COOP was in here because... they never talked about it. It's not exactly a given seeing as how some games these days don't have everything at launch or sometimes cut things for a new game.

Just like you don't people telling you to not be excited about free DLC, don't tell me to not be upset that half the online content will be coming in months.
I told already you can be upset all you want, hold your breath until you're blue, go scream it doesn' matter to me.

SxP

Sad about the removal of Team Objective. I'll buy U4 anyway, so I'll try all the modes to see if there's something worth playing, but that was basically all I played in U3.

Vire

Pay full price for the game, get additional features and modes that should have been in the game in the first place months later.

Love this new trend.

It's brilliant.

zkorejo

Pay full price for the game, get additional features and modes that should have been in the game in the first place months later.

Love this new trend.

It's brilliant.

Still better than pay full price for a game.. then pay $50 for a remaster and still buy DLC weapons/boosters at an additional cost.

I see, it's a matter of principles for ya. The thing is, refusing to buy Splatoon (or Uncharted 4) day 1 denies you dozens of hours of entertainment... and it's not like Splatoon has fallen that much in price since last year.

SFV is an entirely different situation, since that game doesn't even have a proper Campaign... just imagine if ND did that, lol.

Also, the truth is that this "trickle down" MP content strategy seems to work, since it keeps people invested. They will keep coming back regularly to experience the new content additions.

As long as it's free, I think it's fine. If you think about it, you rarely get "full" products these days. Most contemporary games need patches (even Nintendo ones).

I dunno why people are surprised. Someone at sony probably crunched the numbers and they probably make more money with a larger people resubbing for plus than a select group paying for maps.

trickle down free content, keep people playing, which keep them subbing. Same reason Halo did the same thing.

VanWinkle

If I could choose 4 maps from each

from U2 i'd like to see Train Wreck, Temple, Village, and Cave.

From u3, I'd go with Old Quarter, Chateau, London Underground, and Yemen.

Village and Cave are the main ones I need. Especially Village. And the RAINY version from UC2, none of that sunny crap from UC3.

Love this new trend.

It's brilliant.

This is kind of how I'm seeing it, and part of why I'm so disappointed. Plus, knowing that there's only ONE more mode coming over the course of this entire year (and maybe forever; Summer 2016 is the only one that explicitly says "new mode") is just...ugh. And it probably won't be free-for-all, I'm sure. I won't get that lucky.

Co-op at launch ?

''Co-op'' in fall 2016 doesn't inspire any confidence. Right now at lauch MP is bare bones with missing content.
I understand that Co-op fanatics will be pretty pissed (especially if they have to pay for it), but I still remember UC3 Co-op being pretty lackluster compared to UC2 Co-op. The graphics were severely downgraded in Co-op Adventure. UC2 Co-op Adventure was much better.

Who knows, maybe they need more time to polish it and bring it on par with the Campaign?

Violater

I understand that Co-op fanatics will be pretty pissed (especially if they have to pay for it), but I still remember UC3 Co-op being pretty lackluster compared to UC2 Co-op. The graphics were severely downgraded in Co-op Adventure. UC2 Co-op Adventure was much better.

Who knows, maybe they need more time to polish it and bring it on par with the Campaign?

I thought the modes were free?

I agree with the bold part, and that is what it should be. I dont think they will add any additional boosters specifically for the classic mode such as SA/fleetfoot etc., unless they are planning to bring them back regardless.

I personally wouldn't mind mysticals together with power weapons scattered around and up for grabs but I am pretty sure the majority of the people asking for a classic mode will hate it, because they mainly want a mode where they can have extended shootouts without any over the top weapons/abilities such as cluster-bombs/Wrath of El-Dorado that have the ability to wipe out an entire team.

But it's not like classic UC had long shootouts. You could never have a great game of getting pinned behind cover because people spammed grenades at you. Extended shootouts never happened the way they do in UC4.

In UC4, despite the occasional surprise El Dorado, I am finding myself constantly pinned down by enemy fire, and having to carefully consider my actions. Sometimes I even have no ammo left, which makes things incredibly tense. Other times, I am trying to wait for a teammate to save me. This is usually when someone throws an El Dorado to push back players, and it all comes across as genuinely exciting and strategic.

Since grenades cool down, and since there are more items than just grenades, there is far less grenade spam, and far more enjoyable cover to cover shootouts, full of revives, healing, etc. It manages to maintain the craziness of UC, while managing a sense of LoU cover gameplay. It's really a fantastic blend.

The power weapons needs to be buffer period. The rocket launch is weaker than it was in the previous games.

I actually think the RPG is the best power weapon they have in UC4. Guaranteed a down, and fantastic in tight situations. It's like the LoU shotgun. Everything else couldn't compete for when you wanted to guarantee a down.

The grenade launcher and shotgun feel like poorer versions from UC2/UC3. Not so much the power, but the way it fires. I miss the satisfying thunk of the Hammer and the kickback of the shotguns. I hope they add them as DLC

Boke1879

Love this new trend.

It's brilliant.

Hmm I'm getting a full SP experience and multiplayer. With free maps and modes mapped out. You're right it is brilliant.

Top Bottom